PDA

View Full Version : How to get to Sea World

Marilyn Michetti
09-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Having been to WDW for the last many trips, we are going to DLR for the first time in early Dec. I need to know how far away San Diego is, and the best way to get there without renting a car.

So how do y'all manage getting there, how long does it take, and can it be done without changing a room reservation?:confused:

tovin
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
If you're trying to go from Disneyland Resort to Sea World and back in one day without a car rental and a hotel in San Diego, you are in for one long day! Though it can be done!!

Try looking for "Disneyland to San Diego" or Disneyland to Sea World for tour operators, and when you call, MAKE SURE you get an amount of time they will guarantee you in the park.

The good part is Sea World tends to open late, giving you a chance to leave at a decent hour (not counting traffic) and not getting up TO early to make openings.

I used to live in San Diego and we did once a month Disney trips - so it certainly can be done!!

Good luck!

tinkwest
09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
By car a trip from Anaheim to San Diego takes about 90 minutes.

You can take the train also, but that will eat up more time and not get you close to Sea World.

I think a car would be your best move.

Over we go to Vacation Planning .....

BrerGnat
09-28-2007, 12:26 PM
90 miles is right! You will need to rent a car, and to be quite honest with you, if it will be a hassle to do that, don't bother with a trip JUST for Sea World. The Sea World in San Diego is very small compared to the FL one and it's rather boring, in my opinion.

To get there, simply get on I-5 south from the DLR and stay on it all the way down. When you get near San Diego, you will start seeing signs. Sea World is located on a sort of peninsula in an area called Mission Bay. You can see it from the 5 freeway.

Although, in theory the trip should take about an hour and a half, if you hit the traffic in either direction, that could EASILY double the travel time!

If you're very intent on visiting San Diego (downtown), I'd stay a night in a hotel down there rather than try to do it all in one day. It's a large city and rather spread out, so it's difficult to see a lot in one day.

The Amtrak Surfliner train will take you to San Diego from Anaheim if you wish to do that. I believe there will be a shuttle from the DLR to the Anaheim Amtrak station starting on Monday (Oct. 1), so this may be an option. Your best bet would be to take the Pacific Surfliner train to the San Diego Old Town Station, and then take a taxi to Sea World. You would have to plan very carefully, though, to make sure you don't miss your train back!

tamquilts
10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree with the other posters on this topic. San Diego is not known for it's public transportation.... although they are working hard on improving the Trolley Lines and Coaster routes.

I live in the San Diego area. Everything is spread out. You really need a car. For what it would cost you for a train ticket, taxi, etc. you could rent a moderate sized vehicle and have the convenience of setting your own hours. Traffic on I-5 is generally heavy all the time. Unless its 3:00 AM. :blush:

From Disneyland to San Diego Sea World it might take you about 2 hours driving time if there's traffic. If you drive straight through with no stops it may take you as little as 90 minutes. There are carpool lanes from Anaheim to about Capistrano. Then there are none - then you pick up car pool lanes again around Del Mar. This will help with traffic issues. The I-5 and 805 Split can be confusing so be attentive. You should get directions from either freeway as both the 5 and 805 end up downtown.

On the I-5 you will see lanes for Sea World. When you take these many people are unaware that several lanes enter the park, no need to wait in the long line on the right.

Also, at Sea World you can pay for general parking, or for a few dollars more get preferred parking. It is worth the extra money for preferred. You get the convenience of parking right by the entrance. This is invaluable when you are tired, have little ones that are worn out, and/or if you need to go out to the car for anything.

Hope this helps!

2Epcot
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
90 miles is right! You will need to rent a car, and to be quite honest with you, if it will be a hassle to do that, don't bother with a trip JUST for Sea World. The Sea World in San Diego is very small compared to the FL one and it's rather boring, in my opinion.

With respect to Natalie, I have a different opinion Sea World San Diego. I grew up in AZ, so Sea World San Diego was our regular place to go growing up. I have never been to Sea World Orlando because we choose to spend those days at WDW. Though my thoughts are similar to Natalie when it comes to Univeral Orlando, and Hollywood ... I find the Orlando park better. I can not compare the two Sea World parks, but if you have not been to Sea World at all, or not for some time, you should have a great time at Sea World San Diego. I think "boring" would be a little extreme. I was there with my brother and his family a couple of months ago and we had a great time. They do two different Shamu shows, one during the day, and a completly different show at night. We were very impressed with the "Shamu Rocks" show that is done at night. If you do have more time in San Diego, we always enjoyed ourselves at the San Diego Zoo as well, though it's been many years since I've been there.