PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn

maria5
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Need feedback on San Angel Inn for upcoming trip.

Harkleroad
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
I have eaten there several times over the years. Each time I am drawn in by the atmosphere. The music and boat trip set a great scene. I love Mexican food but am not overly thrilled by what I received. The portions have always been large but the taste was rather bland. It is not my favorite but I have read that some people love it. It really is a matter of personal taste. So I would recommend giving it a try at least once for the experience.

kathiep
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Was there for dinner last week.

As previous poster stated, I was drawn in by the atmosphere. You can't beat it.

However, I was a little disappointed. The portion sizes were more than ample but we find better food at our local Mexican restaurant. It really wasn't that tasty.

And our service left more than a little to be desired. My DH ordered a margarita when we placed our drink order. When the drinks came without it, he reminded our server. He reminded him again when the appetizer came. He reminded him again with our entrees came. We were midway through entrees by the time it arrived.

Similar situation for the guacamole.

And, we asked for the desert menu, waited 10 minutes for that. It took forever to actually get the deserts.

Then, the server disappered for an eternity while we waited for our check.

He seemed to be walking around in a fog most of the evening. Parties seated after us, left before we did.

Hopefully, he was new.

Miss Tink
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
For me, it's a must do every trip. The atmosphere is UNBEATABLE. It is by far the best dining atmosphere in Epcot. We love it! I'm from Texas, so of course, I can get my hands on some first class Mexican food at home...but, not with that view! The food is good. The margaritas as definitely acceptable. I never regret dinner at San Angel Inn. If you've never experienced it, it's worth trying. You may become a regular. :mickey:

Jared
09-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Like others have said, the atmosphere at San Angel Inn is wonderful. Guests often eat at the restaurant after spending time in the pyramid and seeing other patrons.

But the food, unfortunately, is nothing too special. Most major cities have better and more authentic Mexican food. Even for Tex-Mex, the selections are limited and imperfect. Hearing that the tortilla chips come from a bag and not an oven has kept me away.

JPL
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree great atmosphere with sub-par food

Sinewiz
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes it's the atmosphere that makes it special but I certainly wouldn't call the food sub-par. I actually consider it better than average. That said, its always my first meal when arriving at Disney World because I enjoy the atmosphere so much. It just seems to set the mood for me for getting my vacation started. :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
For those of you that like it, what do you recommend we try for our first trip there in November? What are your fave dishes?

GreenBeetle
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Although we loved the atmosphere, the food was nothing great. And unless they have reconfigured the seating area, there's very little elbow room. Tables are way too close together.

TinkiTime1989
09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
For those of you that like it, what do you recommend we try for our first trip there in November? What are your fave dishes?

As several presvious posters have stated, the portions are rather large. That said, my family eats there at least once every trip and my mom and I always split the Plato Mexicano.

Plato Mexicano
Beef Tenderloin Tampiquena, chicken enchilada and ground beef burrito, served with refried beans and rice - $18.95

DawsonAR
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
We really like it. We usually do it every trip. The food is good except the chips aren't the best. Overall, I think it is a must do.

May524
09-27-2007, 10:05 AM
On a trip in 01 and again in 05 I was very dissastisfied with the food. I adore the atomosphere and all..but to me the food just didn't cut it! Well on our last trip in June of this year, we decided to give it another try and I was very suprised! We started with the nachos, and I had this awesome beef tip dish, that I still talk about! I was so happy with our experience this time, give it a try, and let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

Disneyatic
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
We tried San Angel for the first time on our trip a few weeks ago and it was one of the best meals we had during the week!
The scenery is unbeatable also!
We got the nachos and tortilla soup as appetizers and they were both awesome!
My husband and I both had the combination plate as our entree and it was pretty good. DD got the chicken quesadilla and she liked it.
The only complaints I have is that their iced tea had an odd taste and the chips and salsa taste straight out of the bag, they are okay, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also, they don't have any type of queso dip that you can order. This was disappointing because I LOVE queso with my chips!
But this will definitely be a must-do for us from now on!!

If they would take the nacho appetizer and make a bigger size into an entree, that would be what I would order everytime!

ldn324
09-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I have to agree with the majority. The atmosphere is tops. The food - eh, just OK. It's edible, but really nothing different than you could get at Chi Chi's or another chain-type restaurant.

There is not much spice or heat so if you like things on the milder side, you may enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of the bagged chips and jarred salsa and would prefer something freshly made. But again, the atmosphere is wonderful and you are in WDW after all so things are still great for that reason alone!

Gator
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree with KathieP: good atmosphere, terrible food, and even worse service. Even the food at the outdoor cantina is bad. The hot sause is the worst I've ever had. Of course, I'm from a town in CA that has a Mexican diner on every corner, so I know what it's supposed to taste like. San Angel Inn is not it. If you want the atmosphere, either shop in there or take the boat ride. Skip the food.

SBETigg
09-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Here is my recent lunch review of San Angel Inn, (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114721) if it helps.

We like it, love the atmosphere, and it's a favorite for my kids so we go every trip.

Spaceship Tigger
09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Like the food, love the atmosphere. The tables are definitely close however - we had to push DS's chair pretty far in to keep him from hitting the man behind us. Now that we finally scored a water side table this trip we'll probably take it back off our list for next time.

Eeyore's My Favorite
09-28-2007, 10:16 AM
For us the San Angel is a never do again restaurant. We love the atmosphere, but the food and the wait staff are terrible. You're better off eating at the CS cantina across from it. At least you'll get waited on and get your food & it's edible. We've given it 2 tries & that's it. The last time we were there we were wedged so tight against a wall it was ridiculous. The waiter was practically non-existent. Once he took our order we never saw him again until after the food was served which was forever. We timed it & were about ready to walk out when it finally arrived. Never got our drinks. Forget about dessert - that wasn't even asked about. I was just thankful for the meal to finally end so we could leave & go on with the rest of our Epcot visit. I think I got better food the last time I went to our local Taco Bell!! From now on if we want a margarita & the food to go with it we'll do the CS outside & people watch......:marg:

jakeybake
09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I whole heartedly agree.

The atmosphere is as good as it gets, but the food is totally subpar, and I'm the least picky eater there is.

My wife and I went on 8/28 of this year and we both agreed that the food was bland and the service was very, very slow and impersonal.