PDA

View Full Version : First Visit to Poly!

SimbaandNalasMama
09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi all - we check into the Poly on friday! YIPPEEEE!!

It will be our first visit to the Poly. Anything you recommend to not miss?

Also, do they accomodate early check in? Our flight arrives at 9:30am!! I dont expect to get in a room before noon or anything, but any chance could get in before 3? Gotta nap and get ready for Mickeys Halloween Party!!

disneymomw_3boys
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Congrates:thumbsup: we love the Poly. Captin Cooks has been redone and is a great place to pick up or eat breakfast, or a snack throughout the day.

Also IMHO Monorail on your way back from thm MK and Boat on your way to the MK I believe are the fastest way to travel.

Have a great time at Disney!!!::mickey:

KarenP
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
You are gonna love the Poly!

There is always a chance you may get in your room before 3.

Have a great time!

laprana
09-25-2007, 02:20 PM
:clappy: Yay for you!! You will love the Poly! It's absolutely wonderful! The Poly does honor early check-in, and you can leave your luggage with Bell Services and get your keys, passes, etc. When we checked in this past June, we got there around 1:00 p.m. We weren't expecting to be able to get into our room yet, so we were just going to get our Keys to the World and grab some lunch at Captain Cooks. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised when they told us our room was ready! It was so nice to be able to just get settled in right away! So, while it's not guaranteed, you might be able to get into your room early. here are a lot of must dos for your first time, including:

1) Watch Wishes from the beach. If you get there a little early, you can snag a beach chair, hammock, or bench swing to enjoy the show! :fworks:

2) If you're there around 6:00 p.m. one evening, there is a torch lighting ceremony that is really neat!

3) Hop aboard the monorail! Even if it's just for a spin around the resort loop, or on your way to MK! There's nothing better than walking from the Great Ceremonial House right onto the monorail!

4) If you don't have ADRs for 'Ohana or Kona Cafe, try to get them! Both restaurants are fabulous with great food and wonderful atmosphere! Plus, they're very convenient when you're staying at the Poly!

5) Swim in the Volcano pool and go down the slide!

6) Take a leisurely stroll around the grounds. The landscaping and theming is so beautiful and relaxing.

7) Have a wonderful time!!:mickey:

Momof2boys
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
One of my best memories from last trip was sitting on the beach with DH, sipping on a drink and watching fireworks while the boys played in the pool. We had 2 great experiences at the Poly.

tomorrowschild
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
We love the Poly!

- Take advantage of the quiet pool (if possible). It is far less busy then the main pool. Enjoy the lovely music that plays.

- Take out a Water Mouse bought. We had a blast doing this when we stayed at the Poly.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Be sure and walk around the resort after dark and soak in the atmosphere.

Get in the spirit of things and say "aloha" to those you pass. You'll find the CM's are especially friendly here.

I agree with all the suggestions above as well.

As for getting in the room early, the one time we stayed at the Poly, several years ago, we checked in by 8am and were given our room at that time...exactly the longhouse and location we had requested. Talk about lucky!

SimbaandNalasMama
09-25-2007, 07:01 PM
thanks for all the tips!

SimbaandNalasMama
09-25-2007, 07:02 PM
As for getting in the room early, the one time we stayed at the Poly, several years ago, we checked in by 8am and were given our room at that time...exactly the longhouse and location we had requested. Talk about lucky!

what is the best way to make requests? through reservations or calling the Poly directly?

TexasPrincessAurora
09-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I had our travel agent make our request of which longhouse we wanted when she made our reservation. I faxed over more specific room number request several days before we checked in. Then I asked at check in specifically for what room we wanted. Just be considerate and polite when you ask...that goes a long way. :-)

mrsgaribaldi
09-26-2007, 07:09 AM
:tikki: I love the Poly :number1: The one and only time we stayed there was Jan this year but I'm sure we will again someday. It's my favorite of them all. We were in the Tokelau bldg and it was excellent. You're going to have a great time. We never got to sit on the beach and relax, I hope you get to do that at least once:papple: :tikki:

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Heres the great thing about the Poly....no need to look for anything to do or see to make your trip that much more special. Really. The Poly just has its own unique feel and ambiance that you just soak up and it makes you feel wonderful! I can't say enough good things about that resort. Its terrific.:cloud9:

laprana
09-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Last summer, we had our travel agent put our room request on our reservation. Then, a couple of days before we checked in, we faxed the Poly with our requests. We got everything we wanted! The CMs at the Poly are the best and seem to really do everything they can to accommodate their guests. I think if you go to the Info Central tab here, there is a sample letter you can use to fax your requests to the Poly. And under the Resorts tab, you'll find all of the Poly's contact info, including the fax number.

I'm not sure what room view you have booked, but if you have a garden view, a great longhouse to stay in is Rarotonga. We've stayed there for both of our Poly trips. We loved it so much the first time that we requested it the second time around! It has a very centralized location - close to the GCH, Captain Cook's is just around the corner, and only a 5 minute walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot. If you do stay in Rarotonga, be sure to ask for a room facing the pool. It looks right out over the quiet pool, and the main Volcano pool is just a quick walk away. We were able to see Wishes at MK from our balcony. It was really magical!

I've also heard good things about Tokelau for garden view rooms - like the rooms are a little bit bigger than some other longhouses and some rooms have double sinks in the bathroom. You might want to check out Tikiman's web site (just do a search for Tikiman and it should come up). He has everything you could ever want to know about the Poly, including the location of all the rooms and the different views.

Have fun planning!:thumbsup::lei::papple::tikki:

SimbaandNalasMama
09-26-2007, 04:12 PM
i faxed my request in today and also called and had it noted in my reservations. woo hoo!!

krorx
09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm sooooo jealous!!! The kids might like the electrical water pageant at night. And of course the view of the fire works is a treat. Many times we've arrived early and have been pleasantly surprised with our room being ready. I suppose it depends on how busy the resort is. It never hurts to ask. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

mickeefan
09-26-2007, 05:05 PM
We love the Poly as you can see below. Just to add to what has been already said.
In addition to the water mice, you can rent a boston whaler which would probably fit your whole family.
With just my DD and I who go out on the water we like them because of all the room.
You will find the TTC is a short walking distance where you can catch a monorail, or for something different catch the big ferry boat over to the MK.
We will be there on Monday.

Spaceship Tigger
09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Last summer, we had our travel agent put our room request on our reservation. Then, a couple of days before we checked in, we faxed the Poly with our requests. We got everything we wanted! The CMs at the Poly are the best and seem to really do everything they can to accommodate their guests. I think if you go to the Info Central tab here, there is a sample letter you can use to fax your requests to the Poly. And under the Resorts tab, you'll find all of the Poly's contact info, including the fax number.

I thought I had heard recently that WDW resorts were no longer taking fax requests as of this year.

We made a building request at the Poly when the reservation was made and didn't get it. I asked at check-in (about 1:30PM) if it was possible to change the building we were given and was told that it wasn't possible because they were booked up and that I could try again the next day. We decided that we liked our room even if it wasn't where we requested it, but I still thought it was strange that they wouldn't even consider my request for 'any other building' at check-in.

SimbaandNalasMama
09-27-2007, 09:18 AM
We will be there on Monday.

Hey we dont check out until Tuesday, so if you see a TALL guy with black hair (my hubby) accompanied by a tallish woman with long blonde hair, that us!! haha...like that description couldnt fit a whole bunch of people :)

mickeefan
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, I'll look up.
If you see a middle aged man (73) running around on an ECV watch out. That will be me driving.
Tomorrow is your day. You must be bouncing off the walls. Your gonna love watching the fireworks from the beach. You don't get a lot of the sound, but get the full effect of the different patterns they shoot up.
The electric water pageant is right out in front and very close.
If you want look at my webshots at the bottom of my signature. I have around 90(I think) pictures of the Poly.
Have a ball.
Jim

SimbaandNalasMama
09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok, I'll look up.
If you see a middle aged man (73) running around on an ECV watch out. That will be me driving.
Tomorrow is your day. You must be bouncing off the walls. Your gonna love watching the fireworks from the beach. You don't get a lot of the sound, but get the full effect of the different patterns they shoot up.
The electric water pageant is right out in front and very close.
If you want look at my webshots at the bottom of my signature. I have around 90(I think) pictures of the Poly.
Have a ball.
Jim

hehe, thanks Jim. and yes, very bouncy today. having trouble focusing on work!!

SimbaandNalasMama
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, we are back home now :( but our trip was EXCELLENT. We loved the Poly and i wanted to say thanks to all for your tips and ideas. Wanted to let you know that either reservations or the Poly crew honored my faxed request. 2 days before we left, i faxed my longhouse request to the Poly and also called ressies to note it on my reservation. When we got there, not only were we able to check into our room (which was ready at 10:00 AM) but they had indeed honored my request. What a glorious stay. ahhh....Disney.....:):mickey: