PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review: Coral Reef 9/17/07

MMouse6937
09-25-2007, 12:29 PM
We just got back from our trip and I'm posting trip report of each day but I thought I would do seperate dining reviews about each of the places we ate so you could see our experiences in more detail!

Our first dinner was at the Coral Reef on Monday, 9/17/07. We had an ADR at 6:00 pm. We had tried to check in a little early but were told at the podium that they were already 15 minutes behind and could we come back closer to our ADR time. We arrived back at exactly 6:00 and were told it would be about fifteen minutes. The place was packed and we were starved. I thought for sure we were going to be waiting a long time for a table. I was pleasantly suprised when we were seated in 10 minutes. We were seated in a booth accross from the tank which gave us a great view of everything going on. I did notice initially that it seems very loud in the restaurant. We had heard mixed reviews about the Coral Reef here on the boards with regards to both service and food so weren't really sure what to expect.

Our server was David who was very prompt with getting our drink orders. I asked if anything was exculded on the dining plan, and he said nothing food related (as to not include alcohol). There were four adults all on the dining plan and we were each planning on using one credit (no sharing tonight). We had ice tea, soda, coffe, and DH ordered a beer that we would pay for seperately. Our drinks were brought out fast and we proceeded to order. For appetizers my mom and dad each had a shrimp cocktail which was wonderful, I ordered the lobster bisque which was way too liquor tasting for me so my dad finished it, and DH ordered the Sea and Land which was some grilled shrimp and beef kabob with polenta and vegtables. I ate the shrimp as DH doesn't like seafood, but he loved the beef kabob and even ate the polenta.

For entrees my dad had the New York strip as did my DH. I ordered the Salmon with ratatoiulle and my mother ordred the king crab legs. DH and dad said the steak was wonderful and perfectly cooked and I sampled the potatoes au gratin which were yummy. Mom and I shared ours, both which were incredible. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the vegtables were perfectly seasoned. Mom's crab legs were huge and already center cut so no mess. The crab was sweet and tender, perfect.

For dessert we decided to bring a key lime tart back to the room with us. We shared the chocolate wave and creme brulee over the whole table. The chocolate wave was incredible. So rich and chocolately without being sicky sweet. The creme brulee was smooth and refreshing.

The whole meal was wonderful. The food was top notch and the service was the best we had the entire week. Our server was attentive, conversational, and wonderfully polite. No problems with the dining plan, using two room cards for the four credits, paying for the beers seperately, etc. We left him a $20 tip in addition to his included 18%. Had we paid out of pocket the meal would have been $232.80 total.

An excellent experience all together!

bobpfef
09-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Awesome, I've enjoyed CR for lunch and am planning on doing dinner next trip. Good to hear they have crab legs on the menu, I hadn't seen that before and my son will be so happy.:thumbsup:

disneycouple2004
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
:D
:thumbsup:
Thats a great review..same as us every time we dine there...i can't believe some folks post bad reviews about this one..thanks a million !!

KarenP
09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you had a great meal. I have never eaten at Coral Reef as I am not a seafood lover, but I may have to give it a try.

Samtastic
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Sounded yummy! Can't wait until I get to have it for dinner in January

As for the brulee- did it taste artificially citrusy?

MMouse6937
09-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Sounded yummy! Can't wait until I get to have it for dinner in January

As for the brulee- did it taste artificially citrusy?

Not at all, it was very mild, sweet but not sicky sweet. It has some orange zest and the peels right on the top. I thought it was very light and refreshing!

disneydrmr
09-25-2007, 02:46 PM
You've caused a rumbly in my tummy.. sounds like a yummy experience for your whole family! This is one place I'll have to try next time I get to WDW!

Jared
09-25-2007, 03:03 PM
I love reading dining reviews, and sometimes they get lost in individual trip reports, so thanks for starting additional threads in this forum.

Coral Reef is one of the restaurants I've always wanted to try. I love seafood, and the menu and atmosphere look wonderful.

Glad to hear you had a good experience and your server was attentive. The advent of the Disney Dining Plan seems to have hampered the service at many restaurants.

Looking forward to the next installment!

:tasty:

pogo
09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Sounds like great food. My DW loves seafood, but I'm more like your DH. I didn't know they had Strip Steak there. I'll guess we'll have to try Coral Reef during our next trip.

Thanks for sharing with us. :D

SBETigg
09-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Sarah, great review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your meal. It all sounds wonderful.

LoriMistress
09-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you for your detailed review. I cannot wait to eat there!

TiggeRia
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you so much for your review! I will be eating there for the first time in less than one week, and I can't wait!!!! :mickey:

Samtastic
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
You can get King Crab legs for the entree??? My DBF had the crab claw app. last year for lunch and if he's able to get crab legs for dinner he might just :faint:

MOJoe
09-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I had a great meal at the Coral Reef 2 years ago. I also had the salmon, which was very, very good. And of course the chocolate wave was awesome! I am happy to read a good review of this place, since there have been so many who have had poor things to say. Thanks for your report!