PDA

View Full Version : 5 family members in 1 bedroom villas?

palmtreefan
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Just a quick question....actually 2...

Other than AKV, are you able to stay in any of the other DVC properties with 5 family members in a 1 bedroom villa?

Also, I was hoping to get all 5 of us into AKV studio, but was not permitted to. The agent asked for the names and ages of all who would be in the room (I guess I didn't expect that). We only purchased the minimum 160 points and wanted to stay in the studios with an air mattress we would bring ourselves.... Anyone have any answers or suggestions?:confused:

Tinkermom
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
We are also a family of 5 and YES you can stay in a 1 bedroom with 5 people. They do not provide you with a cot or any extra towels/sheets (you can pay for extra towels though). When we have stayed in a 1 bedroom we have usually brought our air mattress. However, our kids are older now, 6, 10 and 12 and the older two do not want to share a bed any longer so we stay in a 2 bedroom. We also find that the 1 bedroom gets pretty cramped with 5 of us but it is definitely doable. :mickey: If you are wanting to keep your points usage on the lower side, OKW is a great option. The villas there are a bit larger than the rest of DVC. A 1 bedroom at OKW is not quite as cramped.

5 people in a studio is not allowed as you have already found out. Sorry!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Just a quick question....actually 2...

Other than AKV, are you able to stay in any of the other DVC properties with 5 family members in a 1 bedroom villa?

Also, I was hoping to get all 5 of us into AKV studio, but was not permitted to. The agent asked for the names and ages of all who would be in the room (I guess I didn't expect that). We only purchased the minimum 160 points and wanted to stay in the studios with an air mattress we would bring ourselves.... Anyone have any answers or suggestions?:confused:

Our family of 5 just got back from a 10 day stay in a one bedroom at SSR. My kids are 10,7 and 3. This is a hot topic but, you can make ressies and stay in a one bedroom when booked through member services. They do not provide linens or bedding for the 5th person. Not an issue for us. Our DD slept in the pull out with my sons or in the king bed with DH and I. We were all fine. As for towels and sheets, we washed them in the room so that was also never an issue.
The villa was awesome for us but, we will be doing a 2 bedroom next trip since the kids are only getting older.
I don't know the ages of your party but, I know we would not have been comfortable in a studio for our vacation even if it was allowed.

HTH

palmtreefan
09-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your reply's!

The reason why I asked about 5 in the studio is because our AKV DVC sales agent said that it could be done. "I wouldn't promote it, but it can be done...it's done all the time" he said. When I called and they asked for the number of occupants, ages, etc... I was stuck.

Has anyone ever stayed with 5 in a studio? If so, how???

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Wow, this makes me feel....I'm not sure actually.

We've stayed with like......6 people in a one bed. 2 in master, 2 in pull out, others on floor.

Then again, we also have been know to put about 10 of us in a 2 bed (or more specifically, just 10 of us with cards...it's gotten up to about 12 people at max).

As far as I know, there has never been a problem other than we almost never check out on time.

Carol
09-25-2007, 07:38 AM
We are a family of 5 and get a 2-Bedroom. The reason we joined DVC was for the use of the villas and having more space.

Just remember those not on the reservation will not have a room key or be able to take advantage of things like Extra Magic Hours.

drosenbe
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I would NOT recommend trying to put 5 into a Studio.

A Studio is really just a glorified hotel room, with a microwave and small fridge. We recently stayed in a for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom (sleeping 5, 2 girls, one boy, and my wife) and then 2 nights in a studio, with my 16 year old DD and 13 year old DS and my wife. We were climbing over each other. There was only one bathroom. There was one bed and the pullout and an air mattress. It was fine for the 2 nights that we were there (we left very early for our return flight), but would not do it again for any length of time.

Hope this helps.

CarolMN
09-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your reply's!

The reason why I asked about 5 in the studio is because our AKV DVC sales agent said that it could be done. "I wouldn't promote it, but it can be done...it's done all the time" he said. When I called and they asked for the number of occupants, ages, etc... I was stuck.

Has anyone ever stayed with 5 in a studio? If so, how???
Your Sales Agent gave you incorrect information. The only way to get 5 in a studio is to lie about the number of people - i.e., tell MS about only 4 of the 5 people traveling.

AFAIK, no one does bed checks. However, the 5th person will not have a room key - that means no way to do EMH. It's also a problem if you want to take advantage of Magical Express or add the Dining Plan.

Have you thought about calling your Sales Agent and suggesting he quit misleading prospective members? Might be fun to see what he has to say for himself, LOL. If it were me, I'd tell him to call MS and get my family into a studio like he promised could be done because even the Supervisors are not allowing it. (Of course I am kidding - but it does make me angry that the guides are lying to people).

FWIW, nothing a guide says makes any difference. The courts/law says it has to be in the purchase paperwork. That says four in a studio. Even the "plus an infant under 3" isn't in the paperwork we signed.

Sorry your guide misled you. On the bright side, the 1 bedroom is soooo much nicer.

dlpmikki
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Currently DVC do allow 5 in a one bed as stated above. They do not allow it in a studio for safety reasons. They could stop it in one bedrooms at any time (apart from AKV where it is being planned for).

Are you sure the agent didn't mean it was happening all the time in one beds? If he was quite specific about the studios I would complain about him to someone senior that you were misled by him.

MinnieMommie
09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
When I purchased my DVC I was really specific in asking the exact number of people allowed in each size room and I was given specific and accurate information. (I believe number per room is related to fire codes) I think you should talk with someome at DVC, especially if the information you received influenced your decision to purchase. What you werre told is just wrong! :mickey:

palmtreefan
09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Yep, the DVC agent was very specific about a way to get 5 into a studio...Anyway, were not going to do it, it just doesn't feel right.

I appreciate your feedback-- we just won't be able to go twice a year as we hoped, just once. Since we only purchased the 160 minimum, we are considering purchasing another 50 to get us to 210. This should help us in securing a one bedroom now and in the future.

Are 5 people able to stay in a 1 bedroom at all DVC properties?

dlpmikki
09-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Currently the answer is yes but that could change. DVC might start enforcing the right numbers once the AKV is open and can do 5 people properly.

Grace
10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
:mickey: Does anyone know if there are two bathrooms with the AKLV 1-BR, in consierge? I know the Kidani village 1-BR's will have a second bathroom, but I can't find the info on the 1-BRs in the main lodge.

CarolMN
10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
:mickey: Does anyone know if there are two bathrooms with the AKLV 1-BR, in consierge? I know the Kidani village 1-BR's will have a second bathroom, but I can't find the info on the 1-BRs in the main lodge.

AFAIK, none of the 1 bedroom units in the Jambo House have the second bathroom. Not even the concierge class. Sorry.

Horizon93
10-05-2007, 02:08 PM
AFAIK, none of the 1 bedroom units in the Jambo House have the second bathroom. Not even the concierge class. Sorry.

I also think that this is the case. Kidani will have the extra bath meaning 2 baths in a 1br and 3 in a 2 br.