PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier in Review

SBETigg
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Le Cellier
Tuesday, August 28, 6:40 pm

We check in to the very crowded welcome desk area about twenty minutes before our reservation. We are greeted with a sneer and the assurance that we will not be seated before our reservation time. Our inquiry to find out if there is a place to get a drink while we wait is greeted with a sneer and laughter. Wow, I’m feeling the friendly. O Canada! We take our buzzer and go explore the lovely waterfall out back.

About ten minutes after our initial reservation time, we are finally being shown to our seats. Our server, Sarah-Anne, pops up within minutes to ask what we want to drink and if we’re ready to order. We practically just sat down and we do need a few minutes, sorry Sarah-Anne. The DH and I order glasses of British Columbian cabernet (for him) and a merlot (for me) and iced tea, and the kids get soda. When I taste the wine, vile stuff, I am glad I got the iced tea back-up. The DH’s is no better. We scratch Canadian Wine Tours off our list of future things to do. (In retrospect, I probably should have gotten a pinot noir- that might have worked).

Sarah-Anne is back promptly to ask that we order our food. We’re not allowed to order appetizers first and think about entrees. Sarah-Anne smiles and asks us to order, order everything at once, and how about now? I understand that Le Cellier is in demand and try not to blame Sarah-Anne for the rush job. I know what I want anyway.

The DH delights Sarah-Anne by starting with her favorite, the Beefsteak Tomato Stack, with caramelized onions, marinated mozzarella, in vinaigrette. The tomato is nice but nothing special. I get the Shrimp Cocktail with wasabi slaw and horseradish chili sauce. It sounds excellent. I’ve seen it on INTERCOT, and I’m looking forward to it. But the shrimp turns out rubbery and the wasabi slaw is drenched in a milky mayo barely flavored with wasabi. Unfortunately, I’m unimpressed.

The DS and DD prove to be the smart ones in ordering the house specialty, the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. We all taste it and agree- the soup is the thing to get at Le Cellier. Yum.

For our entrée selection, three of four of us chose the irresistible (unless you don’t eat beef) Mushroom Filet Mignon, with Baby Bella wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce. And it is good. Our filets are all cooked perfectly and the risotto is very nice. It’s a good dish, but I’m starting to have stomach problems so I don’t eat as much of it as I would have liked.

The DD gets the Grilled Pork Chop, served with sauteed herb gnocchi, wilted rapini, and icewine apple butter. It’s also delicious, and a large portion.

Sarah-Anne checks on us frequently throughout the meal and while she is friendly, it’s the kind of friendly that feels forced. I can’t help but think she wants to rush us along. But I decide to not let it bother me and enjoy the meal.

Dessert is the Creme Brulee Sampler, Maple Creme Brulee with caramelized maple sugar and cinnamon whipped cream; vanilla bean creme brulee with caramelized maple sugar and vanilla whipped cream, for the DH and for me. I like it. He’s not happy with the maple. Too much maple for a man who isn’t a big maple fan. The DD gets the yummy and adorable Chocolate "Moose" and the DS gets the Campfire S'mores chocolate graham crackers and roasted marshmallows with vanilla ice cream. All good.

The food at Le Cellier is very good. Somehow it’s not as outstanding as I hoped, but it’s certainly very good food and I wouldn’t hesitate to return. The service on this particular night left a lot to be desired, but I think it was just one of those things.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: You might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

It’s Recommended: A good one to try—if only just to see for yourself what all the fuss is about. Do try the cheese soup.

disneydrmr
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Another fine job at writing a review! You really should do this for a living! the food sounds yummy! Sorry the service was pushy and rushed...

Samtastic
09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm glad at least the food is good. I have an ADR in jan. I'm excited. I want to try the ice wine maybe--anybody else has recommendations- drinkwise??

Santuitman
09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Hello
Sorry your service was less than perfect. I hope you don't mind if I chime in. We ate there for lunch last Tuesday and the service we got was great. We had a crying 1 year old and the waitress was patient and helpful and had the pretzel bread on the table almost immediatly for the baby to chew on. She checked on us alot but we didn't feel rushed at all. Also they have just had some menu additons. I had a spicy chicken sausage with sweet poleta that was awesome. I wish I had taken a picture of the menu as I can't remeber the other changes. I believe the pork chop has changed as well. For us it was a perfect (aside from the crying) meal!

Cheers

Hog Wild
09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
This happens to be my favorite resturant. The last time we were able to get in, over a year ago since 90% of our travels are last minute, I noticed that the service was a bit "pushy". We also arrived early, as suggested by Disney dinning, and were told that we wouldn't be seated before the ADR or later. I replied that I understood that but had been told while making the ADR that we should arrive early to insure that we didn't loose our table. The hostess, with shortness in her voice, said that I was making that up.

Honestly I don't care what she thinks or if she thought that I was making it up. However, I just made some ADR's today and was told to arrive 10-15 minuted prior to the ADR (this was for OHana's not Le Cellier).

I truly blame all of this on the "meal" plan. I've talked to managers at several different resturants and they are feeling the pressure to turn tables. I think this is sad. I LOVE Le Cellier and haven't been able to eat there in over a year. That's sad too! I still remember being able to walk up and get a table.

TheSorcererofFantasia
09-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Enjoyed reading your review! Sorry to hear your experience. We have lunch planned on our arrival day in Oct. I've been to LeCellier many times with mixed experiences. This will be PJ's first experience there. Not looking forward to the close dining quarters and really won't enjoy being rushed.

NJGIRL
09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I can't understand what all the hype is about. Our food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Atmosphere is OK but again nothing out of the ordinary. I would go back again but it's not a must do for us.

Jared
09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Le Cellier is one of the few places in Walt Disney World I have no desire to try, despite the overwhelmingly favorable reviews.

My family has never enjoyed a meal at one of the World Showcase restaurants, and I can't imagine a Canadian steakhouse serving relatively basic fare would stop the trend.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Sorry your server was a little overzealous, but the Disney Dining Plan and the free dining promotion are popular evils.

SBETigg
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I forgot to mention the bread- seems to be a trend with me in my reviews. The pretzel bread was really good. We only got four sticks and two were not pretzel but all of them were very good. I've heard of some people having rushed service and I've heard of wonderful service, so I do think it's up and down and just make sure you take your time and don't let servers rush you, within reason.

The restaurant had a warm, charming atmosphere that was hindered somewhat by too many tables placed too closely together-- but again, that's the issue of Le Cellier being so in demand.

LoriMistress
09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the review! Everything sounds wonderful. I can't wait to eat there in December. 74 more days to go!:mickey:

anewvision
09-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I can't understand what all the hype is about. Our food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Atmosphere is OK but again nothing out of the ordinary. I would go back again but it's not a must do for us.

The food is very ordinary at best. Was SBETigg
on the dinning plan. Some servers act that
why when they know its only going to be 18%
and that is a shame

SBETigg
09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I was on the dining plan. I don't know if the plan is to fault for the service. I usually find that when we order alcohol with dinner, our service is pretty good. The server knows we'll be tipping above the 18 % because the alcohol requires a separate check. My impression of the server is that she's just not into the part of her job that requires her to make a personal connection, which is the case for a lot of servers who take the job as just a job, not as a profession.

JPL
09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Sarah-Anne checks on us frequently throughout the meal and while she is friendly, it’s the kind of friendly that feels forced. I can’t help but think she wants to rush us along. But I decide to not let it bother me and enjoy the meal.

I have heard lots of people complain recently about rushed service at WDW recently. I believe the main problem is the supply of restaurants isn't meeting the demand of the DDP. I would also think with the gauranteed 18%gratuity as a server I would want to get as many people as possible through my tables so I make more money.

I have eaten at Le Cellier pre-DDP and post DDP and I can definately say the food was much much better before the current inception of the DDP. The portions were bigger and cuts of meat seemed to be a much higher quality. Overall the meal was much more laid back and relaxing.

Polynesian Dweller
09-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Just a note on Canadian wine. It is actually very good, and especially Merlot. No less an authority than Master Sommellier Andrea Immer says that. If you get a vile wine, anywhere, then send it back because it means you got a corked bottle. Don't rule out an entire country's wine on one bad bottle. Also, generally, Ontario red wines are better than BC red wines, due to a more conducive environment in the Niagara region.

I agree completely that service is going down, and it is likely due to the DDP. People are just getting rushed off their feet everywhere and with the lineups it appears that there is a real pressure to turn tables over. I think it also affects food quality with pressure on the kitchens to get food out quickly.

SueQ
09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I am really hoping to try this restaurant next year when we go to Disney. I've wanted to and have not had the chance. Would this place be ok for someone who is very picky (boyfriend)?? He loves steak and baked potatoes or fries. The rest of us would be ok here but will he??

Goofy Pluto
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I've only been to LeCellier once and it was 6 years ago but I remember not being overly impressed either. For all the hype I was expecting the best meal of my life, but it was just OK for me. And I didn't like the Cheddar Cheese soup at all. I like steak so I'd certainly give it a 2nd chance, but it's not a place that is a must-do for me.

anewvision
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I have heard lots of people complain recently about rushed service at WDW recently. I believe the main problem is the supply of restaurants isn't meeting the demand of the DDP. I would also think with the gauranteed 18%gratuity as a server I would want to get as many people as possible through my tables so I make more money.

I have eaten at Le Cellier pre-DDP and post DDP and I can definately say the food was much much better before the current inception of the DDP. The portions were bigger and cuts of meat seemed to be a much higher quality. Overall the meal was much more laid back and relaxing.

I will not say my source. But i have been
told that DDP has affected almost all the
1 credit resturants. Like 9 dragons, no more
lambchops, no more duck for 2 ect..

SBETigg
09-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Just a note on Canadian wine. It is actually very good, and especially Merlot. No less an authority than Master Sommellier Andrea Immer says that. If you get a vile wine, anywhere, then send it back because it means you got a corked bottle. Don't rule out an entire country's wine on one bad bottle. Also, generally, Ontario red wines are better than BC red wines, due to a more conducive environment in the Niagara region.

No, I know my wine. It wasn't corked. I just didn't like it. The DH and I each had different wines and we didn't like either one of them. I never send back a wine for simply not appealing to me. There are several wines that Master Sommeliers may like and I don't. Wine is a taste experience and not everything will suit every taste.

You're right in that I can't rule out a whole region because of it-- I was being snarky for fun. Sorry to offend you.

SBETigg
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I am really hoping to try this restaurant next year when we go to Disney. I've wanted to and have not had the chance. Would this place be ok for someone who is very picky (boyfriend)?? He loves steak and baked potatoes or fries. The rest of us would be ok here but will he??

Someone who loves steak and potatoes would probably be very happy at Le Cellier, yes. It's a good choice in that case.

JPL
09-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I will not say my source. But i have been
told that DDP has affected almost all the
1 credit resturants. Like 9 dragons, no more
lambchops, no more duck for 2 ect..

I have heard the same thing from several sources as well. It's simple economics to make the food more affordable with DDP corners have to be cut some place. I actually posted about in some detail exactly what was happening a while back after speaking with a restaurant manager.

Polynesian Dweller
09-25-2007, 10:48 PM
No, I know my wine. It wasn't corked. I just didn't like it. The DH and I each had different wines and we didn't like either one of them. I never send back a wine for simply not appealing to me. There are several wines that Master Sommeliers may like and I don't. Wine is a taste experience and not everything will suit every taste.

You're right in that I can't rule out a whole region because of it-- I was being snarky for fun. Sorry to offend you.
Didn't offend at all. Just thought from the review it sounded like the wine was bad and offered advice. I've seen too many people over the years who are hesitant to send a bad bottle back. Obviously not so in this case.:mickey:

MickeyandTink
10-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I forgot to mention the bread- seems to be a trend with me in my reviews. The pretzel bread was really good. We only got four sticks and two were not pretzel but all of them were very good. I've heard of some people having rushed service and I've heard of wonderful service, so I do think it's up and down and just make sure you take your time and don't let servers rush you, within reason.

The restaurant had a warm, charming atmosphere that was hindered somewhat by too many tables placed too closely together-- but again, that's the issue of Le Cellier being so in demand.

I agree. We really enjoyed the pretzel bread, but the others not so much. The food was good, but not outstanding. At least it didn't live up to the hype, especially the cheese soup. The steaks were tender, but overcooked (at least mine was).

We would eat there again IF we can get an early dining reservation. When we there last week we had an 8:40 reservation. It was nearly 9:00 before we were seated and after 10:30 before we could leave. The problem was the park closed at 9:00 and by the time we made our way to the front of Epcot, the buses to POP had stopped running. We were finally able to get there after some bus hopping, but it was a real pain and made for a very late night.

Bottom line: Certainly worth going to, but don't build your trip around it. There are plenty of other good restaurants to choose from.

tinksmom02
10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I loved LeCellier on our trip in January, and apparently DD5 did, too, because it was the only place she wanted to go to again.

I was more than a little disappointed last Friday when we were there for lunch.

should probably post my own dining review, so as not to hijack SBETigg's wonderfully-well-written review.

SpecJoe Magic
10-05-2007, 04:29 AM
We had a wonderful time at Le Cellier just a few weeks ago. We ate at 3 sitdown and 2 buffet restaurants on the trip, and the Cast Members at Le Cellier were the nicest ones that we encountered. That's not to say that Cast Members at the other restaurants were bad. On the contrary, we experienced friendly folks at each and every restaurant where we ate, but the Canadians were extra friendly. My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed the cheddar cheese soup, and I had filet mignon with cream cheese mashed potatoes, which was my favorite entree of the entire trip. The only negative thing I can say about Le Cellier is that the dessert selection wasn't to our liking, but I did end up enjoying what I ordered even though my wife didn't enjoy hers. Overall, it was a great experience, and we might eat there again in the future.

DessertDivaFL
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
My DS15 and my DD13 and I have ADR for lunch in November. I appreciate all the comments about this restaurant. :thumbsup:

In my experience, sometimes the wait staff and the host staff are overwhelmed and just an ounce of extra patience will pay off for a more relaxing dining experience. I used to work for several restaurants as a hostess and during "peak" times it is quite stressful. I couldn't even imagine what it must be like to work as a host or a wait staff employee at Disney.

jedigrrrl
10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
LOL I usually want the server to go away!! they start with the explanation of what all the bread represents and then my husband loves to hear them explain his favorite beer: Maudite(something about the devil, christmas, and a flying boat, lol) I'm like shut up and bring my food!

amorillo
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Le Cellier is still one of my favorites. The Mushroom Filet is one of my favorite WDW dishes! I'm counting the days until my next visit (113 days)!

Sorry to hear about the service you experienced!

mpoppinsgirl
10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
My DH and I ate at LeCellier last december when we were there and it was great!!! Our service was great and everything we ordered tasted very good. It was our favorite dinner while we were there. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as we did.

Bethis26fan
11-06-2007, 10:03 PM
We are eating there for the first time on our next trip, I hope we aren't rushed.

Mikey Piano 23
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice post! I had a similar experience there. I thought the food was pretty good I got the Cheddar Soup and the prime rib. I thought the soup was a little on the salty side but still really good. The prime rib was probably the best cut of meat I have ever had in my life!

The service: Very,very pushy! Being from NYC I am used to service that is fast. However there is a difference between fast and pushy. I dont remember the waitress we had but I remember her practically sneering at us when we asked for more bread.

But anyway the meal was good but the service stinks. I wouldnt eat there again.