PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Yacht club?

cajunbaby1
09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
:woohoo:So many places to choose from!! Thinking about staying at the Yacht club Aug 08 for a week with kids ( 8 1/2 and 15). Any thoughts or suggestions about this resort? or what other deluxe resort do y'all recommend. Open to any any all ideas.:mickey:

sashiroo
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
The YC is awesome! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The rooms are nice, the pool is as good as a water park, great restaurants, you can walk into EPCOT. Go for it!!

Jenemmy
09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I have stayed at Yacht Club -- it really is gorgeous and the location is incredibly convenient. We had a room that looked out the back, overlooking the lake and Boardwalk --- <sigh> I could have just sat on that porch and been happy!

That being said, I think for me personally, I would choose Beach Club next time if I wanted to stay in the Epcot area -- only because I think the overall atmosphere and themeing is a bit more oriented to my family. Yacht club had this beautiful rich woodwork, delicate little models of yachts and everything seemed just so perfect -- I always felt like I had to instruct my kids to "BEHAVE!!!!" when walking through the lobby -- LOL. I kind of feel that way in the Grand Flo lobby as well. Just this sensation of -- everything needs to be perfect, including my children. I know that is just ME -- CM's never made me feel that way -- it is just the atmosphere.

My personal favorite deluxe???? Contemporary Tower overlooking the MK :cloud9:

BrerGnat
09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
The Yacht Club will be where we stay when we take our first family trip. After extensive research and experience, I think this resort would be PERFECT for my family. We have kids younger than yours and the sand bottom pool is one of the major draws for us. That and the proximity to Epcot make it a real winner for us (DH and I love Epcot the most of all the parks).

However, the other deluxes I considered while thinking about this trip (which, actually, is not even planned yet), were:

-Polynesian
-Wilderness Lodge

The WL is a great hotel if you're looking to stay Deluxe at a reasonable price. However, there is no "quick route" to any of the theme parks (i.e. monorail or walking). Also, the rooms are a tad smaller and only sleep 4 (although, with your kids ages, the bunk bed rooms would work and they are a bit roomier due to the smaller bed size of the bunks). We ruled it out because we want to be able to walk or monorail to at least ONE park.

The Polynesian is also great. However, what truly holds me back from that resort is the separate buildings aspect of it (I like it when the lobby and rooms are all in one building). Also, it is SUPER expensive, and I don't feel the price is justified for the QUALITY of the buildings there. They have some superb restaurants there though!

TKDONALD
09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
You cant go wrong staying there. I recommend it.

Edenza
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes yes yes. If it's on your list, pick it.

We just got back from our vacation and the one bright shining spot, consistently, was the Yacht Club. The cast members were exceptional. The location is fantastic. There are many problems going on right now with buses. Even the monorail was out of operation at MK closing. If you stay at the Yacht Club (or Beach Club, Boardwalk or S&D), you have excellent transportation to MGM and Epcot.

The food is great, room service is wonderful, the pool is above & beyond and, like I said, the employees of the Yacht were across the board fantastic. Many days we had not-so-great experiences but coming "home" to the Yacht Club salvaged our day.

We will never stay anywhere else again.

MickeyMousse
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
YES YES YES!! We love the Yacht Club :cloud9: and highly recommend it. You can walk to Epcot (we always ended our days there-it was a great convenience), walk over to the Boardwalk for shopping/dining....boat it to MGM (we walked there too....a hike but it was nice). The restaurants at YC are great, the motif is beautiful and in my honest opinion, the CM's are outstanding. You won't be disappointed!:thumbsup:

cajunbaby1
10-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks y'all for your help. I looked at other hotels and kept wandering back to the yacht club. So that's where will go.:mickey: I only wish I could go tomorrow; you know how it is when you start to plan a trip.

jakeybake
10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
We would recommend the Beach Club.

We spent the last week of August there with our kids (DS - 9, DD - 6) and we loved it so much that we decided that we would never stay anywhere else again.

We spent some time at the Yacht Club and found it much more adult oriented and dare I stay "stuffy". It was quiet and reserved where as the Beach Club was lively and fun. Lilo and Stitch were there each day playing games with the kids. Also, Cape May was also always fun and lively as well each morning and night.

I really fell like the Beach Club is much more geared to families and the Yacht Club to adults and convention goers.

kim1st
10-05-2007, 10:54 AM
We loved WL, and we actually didn't find the transportation that inconvenient. We really wanted a MK location because our kids were so little that we figured that would be where we'd spend most of our time (and we were right).

When we passed through the Contemporary and even the Grand Floridian for dinner, those resorts just seemed SO BUSY...it was like Grand Central Station! WL was nice and quiet without being "stuffy".

That said, I think we may stay at the Beach Club next time (though it's not easy to think about the extra $$$). We didn't do much of Epcot and didn't set foot in DTD on our prior trip. The kids will be older, so the pool will be a little more of a draw (only went in once at WL), and it will be nice to be able to walk to the park.

BrerGnat
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I just wanted to point out that the "quiet stuffiness" of the YC is actually a draw for us (and many others). One of our kids is autistic, and while he is a sensory seeker, and actually loves noise and lights and chaos, that's pretty much all you get in the parks all day. We would need a place to come back to (for naps and at night) where he could wind down, and he requires a calm, quiet atmosphere to get him to understand that it's time to relax.

I agree that the Beach Club has MORE families staying at it, but the Yacht Club, like every other Disney resort, is family friendly as well. The full balconies at the YC rooms are a LOT more family friendly than the halfie ones at the BC too...

This quietness is why we love the WL, but we'll save that for when BOTH kids are old enough to sleep in the bunk beds.

TammiMcMan
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I prefer the YC over the BC for a few reasons. The first is the lobby area, which is much quieter than the BC's. The second and probably more important reason to me, is the balcony issue. Why they designed the BC with so many standing room only balconies is beyond me. The YC has a much higher percentage of full size balconies and I like spending my evenings out there.

Sweezy
10-05-2007, 04:08 PM
as some others have said...the balconies at the Yacht club are nice, the lobby is my favorite, and the pool is unbeatable. beaches and cream and yachtsman steakhouse are also two restaurants you shouldnt miss...

pokci
10-05-2007, 09:09 PM
We purposely chose Yacht Club the last time we went because we love EPCOT and wanted to be close enough to walk over. The beach bottom pool that BC and YC share is unbeatable, the spa in the middle is wonderful and the eucalyptus steam room so refreshing. The cast members were wonderful. And now for a reality check. After Illuminations and an entire day of walking, the slightly longer walk to YC at night was LONG. Every time we walked past BC we said we'd pick that one next time. Our room at YC was on the very far end of the building closest to Swan and Dolphin - the balcony had a great view, we saw MGM fireworks at night, the lake and Boardwalk. The quiet pool at YC is also a nice respite. I fully agree with others that YC has a stuffier feel and is more quiet, for us this was so nice. But just thinking about the tired feet at the end of a very long day makes me think about BC next time. Having said that, in 51 days we're trying POP. :secret:

iloveupstateny
10-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I have not stayed at Yacht Club but have stayed at Beach Club twice. Echo what others have said about Yacht being more stuffy and Beach more casual, as well as Beach is closer to Epcot and the MGM boat stop. The pool and restaraunts at both Yacht and Beach are awesome and its location is second to none if you like Epcot. Its very easy to spend a day in another park and then just walk to the world showcase for dinner! Love that!
The only drawback I can think of for both Yacht and Beach is that there is no food court. Beaches and Cream is wonderful but it is small (too small to accomodate both Yacht and Beach guests) and can get very crowded during breakfast times with lines out the door. Annoying when you're trying to get a family fed and out to the parks.
Jen

TammiMcMan
10-06-2007, 02:44 PM
as well as Beach is closer to Epcot and the MGM boat stop.
While the BC is closer to the IG entrance by a few minutes walk, the transportation dock is actually closer to the YC. It's a straight shot from the YC's lobby, as opposed to the few extra minutes walk from the BC.

I just want to add as well, the Yacht Club Galley is one of the best kept restaurant secrets. A perfect spot for a nice, quick breakfast.

bkfree
10-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Yacht Club is also our resort of choice. We have 2 young children(6 & 8) and have never thought it stuffy or adult oriented at all. It was very child friendly and the rooms were very cheerful with the blue tones and white furniture. I agree that the full balcony is wonderful. Sitting out there in the mornings with a cup of coffee or in the evening after a full day at the parks and overlooking the lake and the boardwalk was an enchanting way to start and end the day. We have stayed at the other resorts, but once we stayed at the YC we just cannot fathom staying anywhere else.
For us it has all pros and no cons and we just can't find that anywhere else.

kim1st
10-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Its very easy to spend a day in another park and then just walk to the world showcase for dinner! Love that!

SOLD! This will totally be the plan for our next trip.

The only drawback I can think of for both Yacht and Beach is that there is no food court. Beaches and Cream is wonderful but it is small (too small to accomodate both Yacht and Beach guests) and can get very crowded during breakfast times with lines out the door. Annoying when you're trying to get a family fed and out to the parks.
Jen

Thanks for the heads up - I think I'll plan to try to make early ADRs IN the parks for breakfast on some days and then pack breakfast foods that we can eat in our room for the others.

TammiMcMan
10-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up - I think I'll plan to try to make early ADRs IN the parks for breakfast on some days and then pack breakfast foods that we can eat in our room for the others.I'd recommend giving the Yacht Club Galley a try as well. Like I said, this restaurant is a best kept secret as far as I'm concerned. We never encountered any crowds there. You also have the BC Marketplace for breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Plus, I know the Yacht Club has a spot in the lobby, where you can grab a quick breakfast to go.

bkfree
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
There are actually lots of options around the YC for breakfast.
BEACH CLUB
Beach Club Marketplace
Cape May Cafe
BOARDWALK
Boardwalk Bakery
Spoodles
DOLPHIN
Fresh
Piccabu Buffeteria
SWAN
Garden Grove Cafe
YACHT CLUB
Yacht Club Galley

So 8 Options all within a very short walk.
Then at
MGM
ABC Commisary
Hollywood and Vine
WORLD SHOWCASE
Askerhaus

2Epcot
10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I stayed at the Yacht Club many years ago, itt was my second WDW deluxe resort to stay at after the Contemporary. I would certainly stay there again, it's a great resort. :mickey:

WLfans
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I would suggest BC. The first couple of days it seems like a haul to get around the property. You'll get used to it. We stayed with our kids in 3512 in BC. We see the fireworks from EPCOT, close walk to Epcot and Boardwalk. The pool is great..

WelshieLover
10-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I noticed you said you were staying there in July. The balcony issue is a non-issue as it is too hot in August to sit on the balcony. We have stayed at both the YC and teh BC. I did not notice any stuffiness at the YC. To be honest they are not much different and share all their facilities. Being near the boat dock may be better over all for your family.