PDA

View Full Version : annoyed with planning!!

Top_Scarer
09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Ugghh...so we are heading to the world in December (9th-15th), and I am just trying to put together a very LOOSE plan. Like which days to go where...and when to stay out late...etc. I am having the hardest time putting it all together.
Am I the only one who is going through this?!?!?

motherhamv
09-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I go through this every time. The final "schedule" is done on the way there. I go by the weather, the moods the dd's/db have been in, what they have mentioned they wanted to do, and the current interests we have been having. (ie: mini golf -vs- boat ride) It all works out in the end. :thumbsup:

dundeehunter
09-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I've stopped planning on my spreadsheet because I have also become annoyed. I'm trying to make a nice schedule for my elderly parents and my family, however, there are so many things going on in early December. Pop Warner, Mousefest, CP, MVMCP, etc....I have made all of my ADR's but some I would still like to change as I couldn't get into some of them that I wanted. I was stressing out, so I put my sheets away. I'm focusing now on the fun of the vacation and spending time with my parents and children. I can't believe that it's almost 2 months away....:cloud9:

Make your ADR's if you are on the dining plan, buy your tickets for the Christmas party, make reservations for the Candlelight Processional and sit back and relax. Try to go with the flow and enjoy the magic that is in WDW!!!

Hope to see you there sometime in the parks.

We are staying at CBR...

GrumpyFan
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
It's probably not the most efficient way, but our planning usually consists of deciding where we want to eat and can get ADRs for. After we've made our ADRs, we'll then plan which parks on which days. We try and include the park nearest to our dining choices or if it's in-park dining, that makes it pretty easy.

The hardest part for us is usually getting the ADRs, once that's done, everything else just falls into place. Also, be careful not to over-plan, which can be stressful both now and when you get there. Leave flex time in, especially if it's a very busy time that you're going.

We just came back a couple of weeks ago and DW did all the planning for us (6), our friends (5), and her family (4), and she didn't have such a great time, to put it nicely. It seems our pace was a lot faster than our friends, and her parents, due to some illness and exhaustion, were only able to participate in about half of what we had planned. All in all, it was a very tiring trip for her.

Marilyn Michetti
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
We make room resservations, get a hard ticket for MVMCP, and two ADR's - (Boma's and Cape May Clambake). The rest is up in the air. We eat, (mostly), where we are, when we want. Without the adgenda, we have more time, and spend less. If we can, (and we always do,) we show up at Chef Mickey or 1900, when they open, and ask to be seated.

It's more like a vacation when you can say "what should we do today"? Of course, we're just two old folks, no kids along, so it's WAY easier for us.:thumbsup:

irish1967
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Our planning consists of making ADRs (and for our trip next summer, I'll be making a ressie for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour for myself and my DDad (his birthday present from me!))

Other than that, we 'plan' our days at breakfast!

Our ADRs don't really impact what park we visit each day. We go to WDW during the summer so we take a break from the parks in the afternoon so a dinner ADR in EPCOT doesn't necessarily mean that we go to EPCOT that day!

IloveDisney71
09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
It's probably not the most efficient way, but our planning usually consists of deciding where we want to eat and can get ADRs for. After we've made our ADRs, we'll then plan which parks on which days. We try and include the park nearest to our dining choices or if it's in-park dining, that makes it pretty easy.

This is what we do. I do make a spreadsheet that lists parade times, firework times, etc. but that's just so we can see it at a glance. We don't make strict plans to go to every event - that would drive me crazy. We tend to go with the flow so we can enjoy ourselves.

Samtastic
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I have my colored spreadsheet filled out with our dining and after hour plans, what park we'll be at, and which ones have EMH. I love planning!! and yes it's mostly around food--I love food!!! :cloud9: It's really just our ADRs and where we want to eat for lunch and what snacks I want (due to hype here at intercot--I just don't want to forget)

The only thing my DBF made me promise that I won't nag him about time (i kicked his butt out of bed to go to early EMH) and i swore for everything except ADRs (gotta be timely!) :mickey: I can't help it, I don't want to sleep in! I can sleep at home.

SAHDad
09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
My SIL used to make very detailed plans, down to the minute. My version of the planning goes something like this:

Monday - ADR for breakfast at Crystal Palace, 8 am, immediate family (4). Dinner ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern, 7 pm, full group (13). In between, see Magic Kingdom. Try to Small World, Pooh, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mtn RR, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Toon Town, Pirates. If time, add Tiki Room, Indy Speedway . . .

Tuesday - breakfast ADR for immediate family at (etc)

I pretty much plan the meals first, aiming to visit mainly 1 park per day, since we have a toddler and an infant on our next trip. Our "must-do" is dictated by the things we want to see, and what the kids can do/want to do.

Of course, our next trip also has to include both of us running the marathon (and me doing the Goofy), along with both of us probably doing the 5k. For the rest of the group (full set of in-laws, basically), I made some ADRs for all of us, but otherwise, they are on their own.

mouseketeer mom
09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I plan around ADR's too. Also, if there is a special event, or if we are doing a fireworks cruise or something we plan around that. I find as we go back, our plans get looser. We have seen and done so very much. We try to see or try something new each trip, along with our faves. We also try to add a tour or event into every trip. Like for example, last time we did the Family magic tour, the sunrise safari, the aqua seas tour and the Pirate and Princess party. All new to us. In November we will do the MVMCP for the first time along with the aqua seas tour again and the Breathless illuminations cruise. I always like to try new dining experiences each trip too, along with our faves, like Ohanas for example. It helps knowing we will always go back soon...takes some of the pressure off.

LoriMistress
09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
This time around, I'm a bit more of a detailed planner. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with last minute details, but over all I'm doing alright. I think it's more of the fact that I'm tired of planning and actually want to be in WDW. LOL

Bluesky481
09-24-2007, 06:44 PM
I just create a table that outlines the park hours during our stay, EMH, and any special events (firework shows, parades, etc.) When we get to DW we just use the chart as a reference and basically plan our days the night before...we've found this gives our trip structure while maintaining spontaneity. :mickey:

Figgyluv03
09-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I am too. I thought I was going crazy. We aren't going until October of next year, but since this is the first trip I'm planning, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I'm gonna slow it down and bit and maybe just check airline flights in a few weeks, and as we get closer start working on more stuff.

DisneyDudet
09-26-2007, 04:18 AM
I have had my trip planned out as soon as they announced park times, which was what, April? Is that sad?

I usually base everything on if we are wanting to do EMH or not that trip, and if we have a hard ticket party. When we go for 5 days, we usually do the EMH's, as those extra few hours can make a difference, even if it gets crowded later.

We don't usually make ADR's. If we do, its just one, and an early breakfast at Boma's. I like it this way because this doesn't tie me into any part any day. I like having my plan, but changing it can be done!

I am getting annoyed that Disney isn't extending their hours anymore than they already have!! I want more hours!

It took me a while to generate my plan as well. What I have done for all my trips is to make a table in a notebook of all the parks with times for each date on it. I then place a star at the top of the time for an AM EMH, and a star at the bottom of one if its an PM EMH. This lets me grab a quick look at when the parks are open and on which date. Looking somewhat like this:
Oct 12 13 14 15 16
MK *9-7p 9-12 *9-7p 9-9* 9-7

Epcot 9-7 9-7 9-7 9-7 *9-7
11-9* 11-9 11-9 11-9 11-9

MGM 9-8 *9-8 9-730* 9-730 9-730

AK 9-6 9-6 9-6 *9-6 9-6

It looks quite confusifying this way on here, as it didn't let me have spaces! So it really doesn't look like this, but you get the idea!

Ok, so this little code I created (I do this by hand, which is why it looks so bad here... I like writing it as a journal) is how I do all my scheduling, and it has worked for a few years now. I have all my times for the parks listed, and the stars indicate EMH. If they are before the park time, it is AM. If they are after, it is a PM EMH. The 'p' represents a MNSSHP (this trip). Underlining means there is a Wishes! shown that night. This is not indicating my dates at all, it is just a quick reference guide for me, that helps me.

Out of this, I created my plan. As with any plan, it can and probably will change. I think you should just put a tentative few days out there. Maybe, pick one park for each day. Just putting SOMETHING down will help quite a bit, and give you a good look at everything. When I did mine, I had a few morning and evening parks planned, but couldn't think of anything to fill the holes. I put it away, and looked at it again the next day, and talk to my family. We came to decisions and it fit perfectly!

Just keep looking and don't stress yourself. This is the fun part of planning. If you need to, step back, post in the Water Cooler. You'll figure it out soon enough... if not, wing it!

teambricker04
09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
It is neat to see how everyone else plans. I guess that I am sort of lazy about planning. I just need to know when the flight is, where we are staying, who is going with us, and when we leave and come home.

I have NEVER made an ADR and have ALWAYS gotten in to where we want to eat. Is that strange? I just never know when or where we'll want to eat so I don't plan it. One thing I DO know is that we generally eat breakfast in our room.

I think I am going to make my first ever reservation for anything... a segway tour.

We have always had a BLAST with our by the seat of our pants Disney trips. Lots of magic, and usually where we were least expecting.

nicole48040
09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
It is not that I LOVE planning, but anymore I just don't know how to go to WDW without one. The ADRs have changed everything in my opinion. First I made a grid of what parks are open when and EMH. I then added in parades, fireworks, fantasmic, illuminations, etc. Next I made ADRs to match which parks we would be in that day. After all of this WDW changed the parks hours for that particular week and I had to make adjustments. To me, they are still not perfect but as close as I could get because once the 180 day marks passes it is almost impossible to change ADRs. My husband thinks I am crazy, but without the planning I truly feel that we would miss alot and be more stressed trying to figure things out the day of. At least we have a general idea and know where we can get a good meal (well hopefully it's good) :mickey: (my thinking cap)

vamaggie
09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm gonna slow it down and bit and maybe just check airline flights in a few weeks, and as we get closer start working on more stuff.

Keep an eye on flights and book when you see a rate you can live with. I booked our flts for Nov back in early Feb. Direct from Dulles to MCO for $189 each. Just checked and the same flights are now $699.80 EACH!!!! Especially if you are flying out of a major airport, rates may not go down closer to the flts. And I never seem to be able to get the really low SW flts--they always seem to be booked as soon as they are announced.

caryrae
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
We make room resservations, get a hard ticket for MVMCP, and two ADR's - (Boma's and Cape May Clambake). The rest is up in the air. We eat, (mostly), where we are, when we want. Without the adgenda, we have more time, and spend less. If we can, (and we always do,) we show up at Chef Mickey or 1900, when they open, and ask to be seated.

It's more like a vacation when you can say "what should we do today"? Of course, we're just two old folks, no kids along, so it's WAY easier for us.:thumbsup:

We are a lot like you guys. We do almost no planning and still have a great time but again like you it just my wife and most of the time. There can be to many unforseen things that can happen to screw up a schedule. The only thing we plan is what we want to do when we get there parks, go to ocean, universal or anything we may want to do that trip. I just have to follow to many schedules during the year at work, having to be at a certain place at a certain time, and get it done by a certain time, even be at different places at different times in a day, I don't want to have to follow a schedule while on vacation too.

dolphinmickey9170
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
My planning consists of looking at DH schedule for his kelly (fire dept). Then we figure out what my schedule is for school (part-time nursing school). We then pick our dates. Once the 180 day mark falls, I call WDW-DINE for our ressies. I try to plan the where to eat around the park hours, not that this always hold true. Then I write down all the park hours, show times, fireworks etc and go from there. Believe it or not, even after I make ADR's, I still change them a few times. Crazy, I know. But just think, my changing them, might open something up for one of you!:blush: I print this out from my computer with all confirmation numbers and bring it with me in my Disney Book!!

However, one of my friends, who does a cool podcast, has a master planning sheet. He sent it to me last weekend, so now I will use it to make our plans. It's color coded as to what park and when, EMH, and everything else you can think of. I love to plan! When I ask my DH for input, he just tells me "whatever you want, I will like". He's so silly!

78 more days.

Deesdisney
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I am going in Jan. and have been trying to figure ADRs and when to go to what park but I need to wait to see if the Princess & Pirate party will be if it will be when I go. I just hope that the rest. are not booking up to fast for the end of Jan.