PDA

View Full Version : The Two Finger Point

DisneyDudet
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
OK, we've always noticed it. Ever since 1990, we've noticed it. CMs in the parks and resorts, when pointing, will point with two fingers.

I start this thread today because we went to see The Lion King: The Musical today for the second time, and "Rafiki" pointed with two fingers! I don't know if that was connected, but it just reminded me!

If I understand correctly, they point with two fingers because pointing with one is offensive to some cultures. Am I correct, or not?

Figaro
09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Indeed. They teach us all to use 2 fingers, or a full hand. :thumbsup: It's also sometimes you end up pointing in a general direction and it ends up someone being right there and they think your pointing at them. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
We learned the two finger point when we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour last year. I find myself doing the two finger point at work now and actually all the time. Claudia would be so proud. (She was our hostess) We also remember the picking up of the trash routine. That seems to be what I do at the world now. I just go through lots of hand sanitizer;).

LibertyTreeGal
09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
My goodness yes! When I was working in California, I had a coworker who was from India and she pointed with her middle finger. In fact, many people from that part of the globe do that, which of course is an obscene gesture here! Flashing the peace sign looks suspiciously close to an obscene French gesture -- you can't win. LOL

Imagineer1981
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
It is one of the first things you learn at Disney. A 1 finger point comes across as if you are scolding or being forceful, where two fingers is much more directional and pleasing...just little things like this, that make Disney so special

cal5755
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
WOW that is a neat fact... and something I never noticed... but sure I will everywhere next trip!!

ariel03
09-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I worked for Six Flags for 6 years and they had us point with two fingers as to not offend anyone and alsos told us that in some cases many people can not see well and pointing with two fingers makes it easier to see what direction you are pointing. :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
09-23-2007, 09:04 PM
ohh i know i know i know. I was actually closing on a loan during our trip and the notary was also a security guard at epcot. she mentioned she even had the two finger thing going on even though she wasn't at that job. We all kind of asked what that was and she explained that some cultures find it vulgar to use one finger. Kind of like us giving the middle finger. So you are correct.

SBETigg
09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
And if you think about it, flight attendants also use the two finger point when signalling safety exits, etc. The one finger point is considered rude and bad form but two fingers or an open hand is acceptable and non-offensive.

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I worked there for 9 months straight and I've been gone since May and to this day I STILL do the two-finger point!

BigRedDad
09-24-2007, 07:07 AM
The main reason for hand gestures as such is different customs have different meanings. The company I work for has a huge list of body and hand gestures for every country and culture. It started when a several hundred million dollar deal was lost because of :thumbsup:. The country they were in and their culture considers that the same as saying F You (sorry, only way to explain it). In general, pointing is rude. However, the most acceptable form of pointing is the use of the whole hand or two fingers.

DisneyDudet
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I didn't expect this many replies!

I like using the two finger point!

Very interesting, all the companies that use it thought. I may have to start at work.

Piglet822
09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I worked there for 9 months straight and I've been gone since May and to this day I STILL do the two-finger point!

I've not worked there for 3 years and still do it!

Jasper
09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
We had a Cast Member tell us a couple of years ago that not only was it a matter of not offending anyone but it also had to do with visibility. Apparantly someone had done a study (not just at Disney) and discovered that many people simply didn't see the signal when it was done with a single finger.

This particular CM also said that while it is not required, they were being "encouraged" to move up from the two finger point to a full hand point. Granted this was almost two years ago and we have been unable to get back to WDW since then so I am not sure what they are currently doing.

TheRustyScupper
09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
There are a lot of rumors for the 2-finger-point:

1) Walt always held a cigarette, so he pointed holding it.
2) One finger could put out an eye-out if you caught someone.
3) One finger is impolite/insulting in some cultures.
4) Some people can't easily see just one finger.
5) It makes a better appearance.
6) It makes you extend your whole arm and not just a hand.

The fact is, no one knows the true origin. However, it is just a more gentle way of directing people. Also, you don't look like John Travolta in Satruday Night Fever.

Figgyluv03
09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
From a former cast member, yes, pointing with one finger is very disrespectful in some cultures. The same as if some gave you the finger here in the states. After you've been doing it as a cast member, it's so hard to break the habbit. Here I am six years later and I still do it.

teambricker04
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Couldn't two fingers put an eye out just as badly? May even give a black eye:mickey:

I NEVER noticed... and I had an Aunt that worked at Disney for 15 years. I like a two finger point. I am going to start using it. Although... I don't know if I point often.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
My 4 year old nephew has always pointed with his middle finger. And I've always told him to use the Disney point when he does it and he switches to two fingers. People look at me funny but who cares? It works.