PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed w/ HM holiday version

teamblackwell
09-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody else was dissapointed with the holiday version of the Haunted Mansion? It is almost unrecognizable as the HM. The attraction is greatly trimmed down as far as ride content. And, not hearing "Is this room actually stretching?" spiel was just a big let down. Does anyone else feel this way?

DisneyPrincess75
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM
FINALLY!! I havent read from anyone else who didn't like it LOL Personally, I think it's too "perky". Too many bright colors and perky music. I like the original version better as well.

DonaldDuck1117
09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I made my first ever visit to DL this December for the Rose Bowl (Go Blue!!) and I knew that DL's Mansion is always done with the holiday theme but I was disappointed. I don't think I will ever be in Southern California for any other reason than to cheer on my wolverines in a Rose Bowl so i doubt i will ever get to experience the original mansion and that makes me sad.

tinkwest
09-23-2007, 08:15 PM
It is almost unrecognizable as the HM.

I never thought of it as needing to be recognizable as the Haunted Mansion. It isn't an updated, politically correct, or improved edition of the ride. It is it's own attraction and our family looks forward to the change every year. DD & I are also fans of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie so that adds to our enjoyment. If you are not familiar with or don't enjoy NBC, that might make a difference in your outlook.
:jack:

NotaGeek
09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I never thought of it as needing to be recognizable as the Haunted Mansion. It isn't an updated, politically correct, or improved edition of the ride. It is it's own attraction and our family looks forward to the change every year. DD & I are also fans of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie so that adds to our enjoyment. If you are not familiar with or don't enjoy NBC, that might make a difference in your outlook.

I agree! I love HMH as much as the original. I have never understood why people expect it to be Haunted Mansion ... it's 2 different rides. But, I suppose there will always be those people that can't let go of tradition, even if it's only for 3.5 months.

BrerGnat
09-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I like the original version MUCH better, BUT, my 3 year old highly prefers the HM Holiday! I can't take him on the regular version...too much dark stuff and honestly, he gets bored. He likes the bright colors and Christmas theme of the holiday version very much.

In general, I find the HM Holiday to mainly have a cult following, but the general population tends to not really like it.

Melanie
09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
I think it comes down to whether you are a fan of the movie. Although I'm not a huge fan, I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive! :thumbsup:

I feel fortunate to have been able to experience it both ways several times. :hmghost: :jack:

teamblackwell
09-24-2007, 02:14 AM
I agree! I love HMH as much as the original. I have never understood why people expect it to be Haunted Mansion ... it's 2 different rides. But, I suppose there will always be those people that can't let go of tradition, eve if it's only for 3.5 months.

That's the problem right there. It shouldn't be a completely different attraction, the imagineers should just do a tweek of the original ride to have a NBC slant. Now its a 3.5 month waste.

NotaGeek
09-24-2007, 02:33 AM
That's the problem right there. It shouldn't be a completely different attraction, the imagineers should just do a tweek of the original ride to have a NBC slant. Now its a 3.5 month waste.

Everyone has their opinions, but I think if it was the original Haunted Mansion with just a couple of characters thrown in it wouldn't make so much sense. The point of the movie is that Jack is trying SO hard to be Christmas, it's over the top. i think like tinkwest said, you might have to see the movie to get it, or be a fan of the movie to appreciate the HMH.

drevlo
09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Our family really looks forward to the HM overlay each year...so much so that we plan a trip in the fall just to be able to see it.
Of course, we also love the "original" look...which we get to take in during our srping trips...

Carol
09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
It's not a matter of liking one better than the other. They are 2 different things. :shrug:

It shouldn't be a completely different attraction,That doesn't make sense to me. Why bother if it's not going to be completely different??

ChipnDaleGal
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I am not even a fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie, although my daughter is an addict, and I loved the overlay. I have seen the Disneyland Haunted Mansion both ways, and I actually prefer it with the overlay. I am trying right now to figure out a way to get my daughter out there next year so she can see it all for herself. I am not sure I could get her back off the ride once she saw it. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive! :thumbsup:

Ditto that! You have to give credit where it's due. I am not a fan at ALL of that movie. I think it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen, BUT what they were able to do with the HM overlay is VERY impressive. You can't not admire the creativity. I enjoy the HM Holiday version just for that aspect.

DoomBuggyDude
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I think it's awesome.

While not a big fan of the film, it certainly
helped the whole thing make sense. Without
seeing the film the whole thing would be very
confusing to most.

The very first year they put this up it played a
significant role in my jumping ship to work
for Disney part time. I went to see it and
after wards it was like.."Creativity is back!"

I do wish they continued to enhance it. Not
much had been added to this version for a
couple of years.

2Epcot
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Although I'm not a huge fan, I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive! :thumbsup::jack:

I'm the same, not a big fan of the film, but always impressed with all the work that it takes to change it over. I love the original better, but have no problem with the holiday version for a couple of months.

Disney Babe
09-25-2007, 02:29 AM
In my opinion, it's a shame that version lasts so long because folks who come from other parts of the country/world for the first time cannot see the original during three months of the year. It may be great for annual passport holders and/or locals who can experience both and often, but it's kind of pointless in the big scheme of things.

I don't know how I would feel personally about going on the Nightmare ride. Honestly, if I was to go to DL at this time of year (and Christmas) I would avoid going on it. I also avoided seeing the movie. I think I tried to be open minded and watched a bit on TV once, but was found it as unattractive as I thought I would.

I'm glad someone posted about this because I have felt like a weirdo for not liking the idea of NBC. Appartently, I am not the only one. I have always hated the idea of this movie.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about the HM. I don't like celebrating Halloween, apart from the innocent pumpkin carving and other harvest type activities. It just seems to be about killing and death. Most of what DL does at Halloween is cool with me, though, and I think it is such a great option compared to Knott's at this time of year. There are actually harvest activites I prefer to go to in my area, though.

I really don't know about the Jack Skellington character, but he turns me off. I love Christmas and am very religious in my ideas and celebration of it. I absolutely resent a character like a skelliton being presented as some sort of Christmas/Halloween crossover character. I refused to see the movie because of that and I sure don't like that DL has this attraction going on throughout the Christmas season.

I think the morphing of Halloween characters into Christmas characters morbid and gross. As a Christian the idea of the movie offends me. That said, the HM and its focus on death is morbid and gross too. It's just the the original does not use the name of Christ in it. I realize that it is called HM Holiday, but it is known to be based on the Nightmare Before Christ-mas.

That's just my personal feelings - that I have been longing to express! I know it seems a bit too serious and others will try to convince me that the NBC is harmless and has a good message, etc. But that's just the way I feel. Sorry if it seems closed minded. I kind of look at it as having convictions.

NotaGeek
09-25-2007, 08:42 AM
In my opinion, it's a shame that version lasts so long because folks who come from other parts of the country/world for the first time cannot see the original during three months of the year. It may be great for annual passport holders and/or locals who can experience both and often, but it's kind of pointless in the big scheme of things.

I don't know how I would feel personally about going on the Nightmare ride. Honestly, if I was to go to DL at this time of year (and Christmas) I would avoid going on it. I also avoided seeing the movie. I think I tried to be open minded and watched a bit on TV once, but was found it as unattractive as I thought I would.

I'm glad someone posted about this because I have felt like a weirdo for not liking the idea of NBC. Appartently, I am not the only one. I have always hated the idea of this movie.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about the HM. I don't like celebrating Halloween, apart from the innocent pumpkin carving and other harvest type activities. It just seems to be about killing and death. Most of what DL does at Halloween is cool with me, though, and I think it is such a great option compared to Knott's at this time of year. There are actually harvest activites I prefer to go to in my area, though.

I really don't know about the Jack Skellington character, but he turns me off. I love Christmas and am very religious in my ideas and celebration of it. I absolutely resent a character like a skelliton being presented as some sort of Christmas/Halloween crossover character. I refused to see the movie because of that and I sure don't like that DL has this attraction going on throughout the Christmas season.

I think the morphing of Halloween characters into Christmas characters morbid and gross. As a Christian the idea of the movie offends me. That said, the HM and its focus on death is morbid and gross too. It's just the the original does not use the name of Christ in it. I realize that it is called HM Holiday, but it is known to be based on the Nightmare Before Christ-mas.

That's just my personal feelings - that I have been longing to express! I know it seems a bit too serious and others will try to convince me that the NBC is harmless and has a good message, etc. But that's just the way I feel. Sorry if it seems closed minded. I kind of look at it as having convictions.

Well, I suppose having convictions can keep you from experiencing anything at all in the world.

Halloween is about killing and death? I always thought it's been reduced to begging for candy.

I am not sure that I understand anyone's ability to judge something, especially a ride without having experienced it ... sure, go on it, hate it and I totally respect that, but to hate something merely for the sake of hate? I don't get it.

But as an American, i's your right to pass judgment, and as a poster here, you can talk about it all day.

I can't wait for December so I can go on Haunted Mansion Holiday!

ChipnDaleGal
09-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Well said, Michael!! I love Halloween and I have never killed anyone. :D

Chescat
09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I happen to love the months of Oct through right after New Years. The overlay in Mansion and the park going with Halloween stuff these last few years. Then the Small world Christmas overlay and the park being transformed into Christmas holidays. It always seems such a magical time with families with their kids. You just see such a smile on their faces.

The mansion & small world overlays take a few weeks to put up & a few weeks to take down and has a lot of labor involved. Doesn't make sense to just put them up for a month.

I'm not a great fan of the NBC either, but I love those singing plants and that Christmas tree when you first come out of the brides room into the big area. Its got you singing when you come out of there.

Bear Country would always have its Christmas overlay when we had that at DLR. :(

What rides people choose are up to their own preferences and that's cool. I choice not to go on Star Wars because it makes me :sick: The Mansion seems to be the most crowded during the overlay period of time. They even have to have a fast pass machine for it (that's even the down times during those months).

Disney Babe
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Judging something before experiencing it is called discernment. I don't need to experience something to know it is wrong for me or to have convictions regarding it. While it is good to educate oneself about something, a person of discernment can judge what is right for them without experiencing it. That is not disrespectful or wrong.

Yes, Halloween is sort of begging for candy. It's cute when little kids do that, but not when older kids and adults do. I like that aspect of Halloween and I like carving pumpkins. That's about it. It used to be more simple, nicer, and just for little kids when I was growing up. I don't like that it has become a season instead of one night. It's lost it's meaning. To chase away the evil sprits before celebrating All Saints Day. Halloween means All Hallows Eve.

Halloween is not about killing and gore? Take a look at the movies that play on TV for almost the entire month of October now. What's going on at Universal Studios, what's going on at Knott's?

It''s the mixture of Halloween and Christmas that I object to about the Nightmare Before Christmas. You think that I have judged it before experiencing it. I think that I have simply used wise discernment about the movie and I don't want the experience. If I experienced everything that felt uncomforable to me or I had some dislike for just to give it a chance before "judging", I would spend more time upset, hurt and confused. I'm old enough to realize that now. I've already been there and done that and know I can't just do things for the sake of seeing what I think all the time. Maybe that does work for some, but not for others. I realize it's a popular theory, to experience first and judge later.

Back to the original question. I will agree with Teamblackwell and others based on some excellent photos I saw on another Disney fan-based website. HM Holiday seems kind of lame and cutesy.

I think it's cool that there was some creativity done to change it and I appreciate the excellent job on the timing that it took to make it turn out right. But the real HM is an excellent fete of imagineering and should not be deprived from visitors for such a long period of time. As mentioned, first time visitors from around the world and the country cannot see the real HM for over one fourth of the year. The Nightmare Before Christmas should stay just that - before Christmas. HM Holiday should, IMHO, close after Oct. 31st each year to remove the overlay. I don't know how long that takes, but I think it can be done before the peak season hits again.

Chescat
09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Usually takes about 3 weeks to put up and 2-3 weeks to take down which puts you into Thanksgiving. The staff is also trying that first week of Nov to take down two parks of Halloween decorations, putting up Christmas decorations and putting the Small World overlay on. Also possibly this castle show we've seen pictures of.

Taking everything down in the month of January is a very slow time in the park. So people don't mind those two rides down for 2-3 weeks. And since the parks close early those weeks, they can do it after hours.

Adding also that they normally film the Christmas Day parade the 2nd weekend in November. So it is a very busy time for staff. :mickey:

Disney Babe
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
What rides people choose are up to their own preferences and that's cool. I choice not to go on Star Wars because it makes me :sick: The Mansion seems to be the most crowded during the overlay period of time. They even have to have a fast pass machine for it (that's even the down times during those months).

Star Wars used to do that to me too, all the time. In fact, I could never ride Space Mt. and Star Wars one right after the other. Then one time I happened to have some chewable Bonine left over from a little harbor cruise that I took. I brought it to DL with me because I knew my sis was going to want to ride Star Tours and I really wanted to do it too. So I chewed a tablet before we got in line and I had no problems at all! It really works for motion sickness.

For some reason Star Wars doesn't make me nauseous anymore, I don't know why. Indy usually gives me a headache though. But I do it anyway and just take some ibroprophen after.

MNNHFLTX
09-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Having seen both the original and the overlay, I would say that the overlay is a very special experience. Nightmare Before Christmas is not one of my favorite movies (although I have seen it) and so I was surprised at how wonderfully it dresses up the Haunted Mansion. In fact, the first time I was at the Haunted Mansion with my husband and son was in the middle of summer, so we saw the regular version. When I went back in the Fall with some friends and saw it with the overlay, I was disappointed that my husband and son didn't get to see it that way, because they would have loved it.

WDWizard
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I've never seen the holiday version of Haunted Mansion, but it looks great! Too bad we dont have that here in Florida, I liked the Disneyland version of the HM better than the (post-refurb) MK mansion. :mickey:

Crystal Palace
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I LOVE Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's amazing how colorful and detailed it is. Of course, I'll always love the original the most, but to have it different a few months out of the year is just fine with me!:blackcat::pumpkin::ghost::mpumpkin:

Lacy
09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I have not yet seen the HMH so I'm not voting but I wanted to add my :twocents: I think it is a very cool thing that they do at DL. DH & I are visiting DLR in Dec this year and the primary purpose of the trip is to see the holiday version of the HM. I'm glad to hear that it is not just adding a few characters here and there but is like its own attraction. I've purposely tried not to learn too much about the HMH so I will be surprised when I see it in person. DH is a Tim Burton fan so he was excited when I told him about it and even willing to plan an extra Disney trip this year for it!

Interesting discussion....and I can see what people are saying about first time visitors possibly being disappointed but I think it would be cool to say that I got to see something that isn't always there. Plus, there are plenty of attractions in their original form.

susy the groomer
10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I hated the movie but I love the overlay. I really enjoy every aspect of HMH, and HM and love to ride them both. I'm looking forward to seeing it again this year.

Belle619
11-08-2007, 12:29 PM
...the first time I was at the Haunted Mansion with my husband and son was in the middle of summer, so we saw the regular version. When I went back in the Fall with some friends and saw it with the overlay, I was disappointed that my husband and son didn't get to see it that way, because they would have loved it.

I actually had the opposite problem. My husband and I went a couple of weeks ago - it was his first time at ANY Disney Park (gasp!) - and the HM was decorated for the season.

Obviously, he hadn't been on the ride before and he had never seen the Nighmare Before Chirstmas movie - so was just very confused by the whole ride. I was so disappointed that he couldn't have seen the regular version of HM first, to be able to understand the theme and concept of it, before seeing it decorated for the holidays.

I personally was neither here nor there on the decorations. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I do appreciate all the work that must go into completely transforming the ride every year. It is very well done.

MegaDisney
11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I love HMH and the Original.

I think anyone who judges it without riding it is being silly.

Disney Babe
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I love HMH and the Original.

I think anyone who judges it without riding it is being silly.

Or maybe they just want to choose to spend time on a ride that they know about! Some people don't have much time at DL and need to judge for themselves what they want to miss. If someone "judges" that they are not interested in riding NBC and may not like it and they would rather spend time on another ride, what is silly about that? It's actually a very smart thing to do, especially for people who don't have the time or money for mulitpule days. Maybe someone who does that will be missing something that they would really love, maybe not, but it is their decision to make. No one has to do something, try something, or has to like everything or keep on open mind. Nothing wrong with not trying the ride if they don't think they would like it. People can have likes and dislikes and it's not a personal thing against something. It's not "judging" the ride. Doesn't make them silly or judgemental.

Thinking that a ride can be "judged" or can have prejudice against it, as a person can, is a little silly, imho. It's nothing personal. It's just a ride. It has no feelings.

It's just like if you want to see one movie over the other, that's all. You don't sample the one you think you might not like just to find out about it before you "judge" it. You choose to not see one you think you might not like and go to see one you think you will.

MegaDisney
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
I guess we were raised differently.

My parents never let us pre-judge anything. I wasn't allowed to skip the Brussel Sprouts by saying "I didn't like them" or "I wouldn't enjoy them" without first trying them.

But that's just me I guess...

NotaGeek
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok, I think we have now come to the conclusion that:

1. You have the right to judge any ride you like, whether or not you ride it. We live in America and although going to Disneyland isn't a legal right, liking or not liking attractions is your personal choice.

2. Some people were raised to believe trying something before judging is the best course of action.

Let's move back to the topic, "Disappointed with Haunted Mansion" please.

ChipDale
11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I've been on the Haunted Mansion Holiday each year that it's appeared, and I still think the 2nd year was the best.

That's one of things that I like about it though, is that each year it's a little different. It's cool to see what changes they've made compared to the previous years.

I have to admit that I really miss Constance the kooky psycho bride in the attic and the floating Leota, but I really enjoy the extremely clever narration of the Holiday version. I'd love to get that on a CD.