PDA

View Full Version : Tutto Italia NOW OPEN in Italy

Red Randal
09-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Didn't see this reported anywhere on the boards so I thought I'd make a thread. I see that the new restaurant has opened in Italy at Epcot. Tutto Italia replaces L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante and officially begins taking reservations this weekend.

So, first off feel free to discuss the new restaurant...especially if you happen to be visiting the World this week and want to let us know how it is.

Secondly, I was looking at some pictures of the new restaurant and I notice that they have outdoor seating. I'm not sure if this is new or not (I never got around to visiting Alfredo's) but it certainly seems to be a great touch. I have a friend who got back from Italy earlier this summer and just from looking at his pictures I can tell that this is something that is common at restaurants all over Italy (and Europe, for that matter) so it's a great touch for Italy in World Showcase. Who wants to be stuck inside when you can enjoy a beautiful Florida day and the scenery of Epcot's World Showcase?

So, folks, what do you think? Is the new restaurant a thumbs up or thumbs down?

disneymom2000
09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Alfredo's did have a couple of little tables outside, but I didn't know if this was for people waiting or if you could eat at them.

wdwnomad
09-23-2007, 06:35 AM
ADR's can now be made for this restaurant.

KarenP
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I am looking forward to trying this restaurant in October!

Jared
09-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I saw a menu for Tutto Italia, and the prices seem absolutely outrageous! Does it accept the Disney Dining Plan? I can't imagine eating here without it, unless what I read was incorrect.

ElenitaB
09-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Are they serious with these prices? :faint: I certainly don't expect them to be low-priced but there's expensive and then there's expensive. :spend:

For a reality check, I compared their lunch menu item for item with the menu of one of my favorite (nicer... only with clients) Italian restaurants in NYC (DeGrezia, in the East 50s), and they were within $2 above or below on most dishes.

Thinking that maybe that wasn't a fair comparison, I checked Tutto Italia's dinner menu against Il Mulino's menu (Il Mulino is located over in the Swan, and like Tutto Italia, doesn't have to pay NYC rents or taxes). Definitely more expensive with a more limited menu.

That said, they do offer a family-style meal, and that comes to around $60 per adult, not inlcuding beverages. I've been looking back for what we spent at Alfredo's the last time we were there for dinner, and it's probably more or less in line, or just a bit more expensive, than what a meal would have cost there. It bothers me that I can't find the figure from that visit, though I seem to remember that it was someplace in the neighborhood of $90-100 (and DS had ordered off the kid's menu that night).

I guess they have high start-up costs to deal with, and they're passing them on to the guests. Or they're betting on that old adage of "location, location, location." One thing's for sure... if they're NOT participating on the DDP, it shouldn't be hard to get a reservation there!

laward32
09-23-2007, 01:59 PM
This really upsets me. I called about 2&1/2 weeks ago to make rezzies for our trip Oct 26-Nov 2 and I asked about when a restaurant would be open in place of Alfredo's and the CM told me there wouldn't be anything in there until at least after the 1st of the year.
Anybody who gets in for Oct please let us know if it's any good. I might wait until the week before we go and change one of my other restaurants if its good.:mickey: Can't wait, only 32 more days until I am in the World!!!

ElenitaB
09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, I'll be taking one for the team! ;)

I just called to make reservations for our December trip and was able to get an ADR for a Saturday evening prior to IllumiNations! Tutto Italia DOES participate on the Dining Plan and it counts as ONE TS credit.

Figment!
09-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Details and info from the News Forum:

A New Taste of Italy

9/23/07 Advanced Dining Reservations are now being accepted.

Additionally, the Walt Disney World resort has made the following internal announcment regarding the new location and it's offerings:

Casually-elegant restaurant which features freshly made breads and pastries, handmade mozzarella and pasta, and regional specialties from all over Italy. Its warm, hospitable atmosphere and staff accentuate a classic Italian experience in an open, airy space.

HOURS:
Lunch - 11:30pm to 4:00pm
Dinner - 4:30pm to varies with park closing

MENU:
(menu subject to change without notice)

Appetizers: Lunch $9.00 - $24.00 / Dinner $12.00 - $29.00
Proscuitto di Parma, Eggplant Caponata, Pasta E Fagioli Soup, Ceasar Salad

Lunch Entrees: $15.00 - $40.00
Lasagne "Al Forno", Penne Caprese, Fish Filet, Chicken Cutlet Milanese, Tagliatelle Egg Pasta

Dinner Entrees: $24.00 - $59.00
Lasagne "Al Forno", Penne Caprese, Fish Filet, Chicken Cutlet Milanese, Tagliatelle Egg Pasta, Bucattini Pasta, Fennel-Roasted Loin of Pork

Desserts: $8.00 - $12.00
Mocha Tiramisu, Cannoli, Cinnamon Ricotta Cheese Cake, Sorbetti and house-made Gelati

Kid's Meals: $6.00 - $9.00
Pizzetta, Panino Sandwich, Spaghetti, Penne Pasta

DISCOUNTS:

Disney's Dining Experience 20% discount on ALL Food & Beverage for members & up to 10 Guests. DDE Discount not available on Holidays.

Seasonal / Annual / Premium Passholders10% discount off the regular price of food and non-alcoholic beverages (excluding tax and gratuity) Monday through Friday during lunch, for Passholder and up to 3 Guests. Valid thru 12/31/07.

This restuarant is located in the Italy Pavilion in the space formally occupied by L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante.
The Famliy Package is called the Family Table and is $59 (Guests 10 and Up) and $18.50 (Guests 3-9) for Dinner and $39.95 (Guests 10 and Up) and $14.95 (Guests 3-9)for Lunch. The package is described as "served on platters family style for the whole table Includes: choice of one appetizer, two entrees, and dessert".

9/21/07 According to recent Guest reports, Tutto Italia opened on schedule--September 17, 2007. The new location is reportedly not currently taking taking Advanced Dining Reservations, but is participating in the Disney Dining Plan. The current menu reportedly features a Family Package and items ala carte.

Jared
09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I compared the prices to the menu at Naples 45, a solid New York City Italian joint also owned by the Patina Restaurant Group. Everything at Tutto Italia is at least two dollars more expensive. If a couple orders one appetizer, two entrees and one dessert, it will spend eight more dollars than it probably solid.

Has anyone seen the wine list? I can't imagine how much a good bottle must cost.

ElenitaB
09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I compared the prices to the menu at Naples 45, a solid New York City Italian joint also owned by the Patina Restaurant Group. Everything at Tutto Italia is at least two dollars more expensive.
That extra $2 per plate is the cost the Patina Group is charging so that you'll actually be able to converse with your tablemates and not walk out with a headache. Naples 45 is a nice restaurant but when I went there a few years ago, they really needed to do something about the noise level.

Jared
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
That extra $2 per plate is the cost the Patina Group is charging so that you'll actually be able to converse with your tablemates and not walk out with a headache. Naples 45 is a nice restaurant but when I went there a few years ago, they really needed to do something about the noise level.
The noise didn't bother me, but I don't really remember. Regardless, we agree Tutto Italia is way too expensive.

Fangorn
09-24-2007, 11:00 AM
DW and I ate at Tutto Italia last night for dinner. We arrived at the restaurant at approx 5:20pm. We did not have reservations. There was definintely some confusion on the part of the staff - it appeared that the ADR system wasn't working or perhaps they just weren't used to it yet. Regardless, we were seated in about 20 minutes.

The interior of the restaurant has not significantly changed. Decor is the same. Tables may be a bit further apart, but don't hold me to that - it may just have been the fact that at any given moment, there were a number of empty tables.

Service was very good, and lots of it. Yes, they take the DDP, and seemed very happy to do so. Our waiter was around frequently. Even though we were on the DDP, we were not asked to give our entire order at once.

The appetizers were amazing. DW had the fresh mozarella and tomatoes. The cheese was excellent and the tomato was probably one of the best I've had all summer. I opted for the Prosciutto with melon. It was incredible. I would have happily had one of each as my entire meal.

The entre wasn't as good. At the encouragement of our waiter (who had suggest the appetizers) we both went for the lasagna. It was good, but nothing to text home about. The noodles were very good - quite obviously homemade, but the just wasn't much in the way of filling. The sauce was not your typical maranara. It was much lighter and fresher. Quite good.

The desserts were excellent. I had the chocolate gelato and DW had some fruit concoction that she said was wonderful.

We are part of the crowd that enjoyed Alfredo's. Tutto Italia didn't quite live up to our memories of Alfredo's, but it was good and we have no regrets.

As for the price, yes it's expensive. Our total DDP bill was $103 for the two of us. That doesn't include the adult beverages. But as a way of comparison, two nights previously, we had dinner at the Kona Cafe. The DDP bill there was $106.

We were not hurried in any way, service was excellent, food was good - but not fantastic, and the atmosphere was really nice. DW and I had a nice dinner, then walked to Mexico, found a great seat next to the fence and watched Illuminations.

Steve

Red Randal
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I was under the impression that this is just a placeholder restaurant until Patina's opens in about a year. I thought I remembered reading that the timetable was Alfredo's closes, then Disney opens another Italian restaurant so that Epcot at least has one, and then Patina takes over.

Maybe I just dreamed this up or something, but I could swear that's what I heard.

KarenP
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I just made an ADR for our October trip. The menu looks good. it is expensive but thank goodness we are on the dining plan.

jenperich
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I was under the impression that this is just a placeholder restaurant until Patina's opens in about a year. I thought I remembered reading that the timetable was Alfredo's closes, then Disney opens another Italian restaurant so that Epcot at least has one, and then Patina takes over.

Maybe I just dreamed this up or something, but I could swear that's what I heard.

This is what my travel agent just told me. I emailed her about getting us an ADR for us and she said that she thought it was just a temporary restaurant. So, I think you may be right. :-)

TheSorcererofFantasia
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM

I just called to make reservations for our December trip and was able to get an ADR for a Saturday evening prior to IllumiNations! Tutto Italia DOES participate on the Dining Plan and it counts as ONE TS credit.

PJ and I will be taking two for the team in Oct!! :thumbsup: Couldn't decide between dinner and lunch after reviewing the menu's. I absolutely love Italian food so we have dinner booked our first evening and lunch on our eviction day. Very interested to see their :wine: list. :D

Jared
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Are you suggesting Tutto Italia, a place that just opened, will close again fairly soon to make room for the actual new Italian restaurant?

If you're right, what was the point of opening this one? I'm very confused.

Hammer
09-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I believe Jason posted info about this in the News and Rumors forum, but I think the restaurant is only open until the end of the year in it's current state, primarily to increase the options for Free Dining and Candlelight Processional. The restaurant is being managed by the Patina Group. After the first of the year, the restaurant will close again, this time for a major renovation, reopening in September 2008.

I'm sure Jason or another Dining mod will be by soon to clarify if I got all the facts straight.

jenperich
09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
We also have an ADR for Tutto Italia in November. So, we'll see how it is. We were deciding between it and San Angel and we have decided Italian it is! So, we'll be trying it out. :mickey:

Red Randal
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Are you suggesting Tutto Italia, a place that just opened, will close again fairly soon to make room for the actual new Italian restaurant?

If you're right, what was the point of opening this one? I'm very confused.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. I'm pretty sure they did it because they didn't want Epcot to be without an Italian restaurant for too long, especially with stuff like the free dining plan and Food & Wine Festival going on where dining is a focus.

Jared
09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. I'm pretty sure they did it because they didn't want Epcot to be without an Italian restaurant for too long, especially with stuff like the free dining plan and Food & Wine Festival going on where dining is a focus.
That's stupid. I have nothing else to say.

Figment!
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
It's more likely because the Patina Group's Operational contract started September 1, 2007, but they were not able to develop and schedule to install a new concept location to start at that date or soon after.

Rather than let the area (which they are now paying for) sit empty, they have re-opened the former location under a new name with a new menu as an interim offering.

Knitty Kitty
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Yay! I'm so glad I checked this thread before asking. That was exactly what I wanted to know!

wildernesslady
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I just booked for the Jan. We're so excited. This will be perfect for the night before the marathon.

Rodders
09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I think it's cool that it's open already but a shame that it's been rushed out. I guess the renovation work really isn't ready to start until the new year. I'll be there next September so I really hope it's ready in time for me.

Dsnygirl
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
We'll be headed that way in October, so I'll let you know then!! Can't wait to try it!! :eat:

EmcDuckRN
09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
At the new restaraunt in Italy "Tutto Italia"... I've started to see the menu around on the net on different WDW websites. Can you believe the prices? $24 for a lasagna? $16 for a Ceasar Salad (at lunch????) Or $60 pp (adult) for a family style? (dinner)

Who are they kidding? I expect that from the resorts, but in the park?

It is like the biggest attack on my last nerve... I count(ed) the food at WDW as one of the experiences that I looked forward to.

First the menus at my favorites go through huge changes, and not for the better, then they close Alfredo's which I loved, and they replace it with this, which at those prices I won't be stopping in...

so (1) Is anyone else seeing these prices or are they eggaerated?
(2) If those are the prices, what are your feelings, will you be going or passing it by?
(3) Am I the only one disappointed with the food changes this year? Because it is honestly making me :sick:

mudpuppysmom
09-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking $16 for a caeser salad is just a tad over the top......and $19 for chicken caeser salad......We more than likely will not be stopping at this place anytime soon. And the Family Table option.......you really would have to order THE most expensive items from what they offer for it to be advantageous!

May524
09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
We won't be stopping in this restaurant. The prices are WAY too high! I agree 19 for a chicken cesear salad! That is nuts! :mad:

Disney1
09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
My daughter and family are there at Disney now, and she said the restaurant was packed this week. You couldn't even get a reservation.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Situations like this will just increase the number of people on DDP. I would NOT pay those kinds of prices for a salad?? and would only spend that kind of money in a very upscale type of restaurant.

This is one of the reasons why we enjoy going outside of WDW sometimes for a meal.

kbean
09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't mind putting the money out for food if it's worth it. And with those prices you expect a doggie bag but you're going to have to leave what you don't eat because your in a park.

tiaramom
09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Is This On The Ddp?
And Is It Inclusive Of The Family Style $60 Pp
Is That Too On The Plan?
Anyone Know?
Thanks

SBETigg
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
The prices are up there, but I find them comparable with the area's selections. It didn't really bother me. I'm eager to try it and see if it's worth it.

TiggerTopper
09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
:thumbsup: Yes it is on the DDP - only 1 TS. I booked my ADR for my December trip as soon as I read that they were taking reservations and confirmed this with the cast member.

KarenP
09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
It is expensive but then all restaurants in WDW are. I will be eating here, but on the dining plan. Not sure I would pay these prices out of pocket. Let's hope the food is good.

BrerGnat
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I don't find that expensive at all.

At most restaurants around here, a dinner sized ceasar salad is around $15-16 and it's usually $2-3 to add chicken to it.

$24 for lasagna is not much higher than the average cost for a dinner entree at any other restaurant. Of course, if it were me, I'd NOT order something as "standard" as lasagna if I were paying $20 something for the entree. I'd order something I couldn't make myself at home. Just my 2 cents...

cal5755
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I was devestated when I learned Alfredo's was closing!! We will probably be trying the new restaurant to see how it is!

BTW.. most restaurants let you take your left overs with you. My uncle eats food we bring back to the hotel in the middle of the night.

floridamom
09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I think the cost is relative to the location from which you come. Those prices may not seem high to someone from New York or L.A., but they are high by Central Florida standards.

Personally, I would not be surprised to see more WDW restaurants adopt higher prices. Now that the new (2008) Dining Plan is going to exclude gratuity and one course, the only way to maintain its "value" would be if the out-of-pocket cost increased noticeably. Since this is a "new" restaurant, they can set higher prices from the beginning with (possibly) less uproar than say, Le Cellier raising each entree price by $5-$6.

Also, the fact that so many now use Magical Express means that Disney has established a growing "captive audience."

I don't mean to sound cynical. I still think Disney offers a great entertainment value. I recently visited NYC where I spent twice as much a a single-day non-discounted park admission to watch a 2-hour Broadway performance that was good, but not great. Then I paid twice as much for dinner at a restaurant that was not half as good as most TS meals I have had at WDW. (I'm certainly not saying all NYC restaurants are bad--just the one we happened to pick that night!)

Anyway, we will just keep an eye on prices, and adjust our spending in other areas accordingly if we want to "splurge" on some meals while at WDW. :mickey:

PrincessASquared
09-29-2007, 08:50 AM
:thumbsup:We have our Candlelight Processional dinner package at Tutto. We will be using our DDP. Can't Wait!!:yay: