PDA

View Full Version : Replacements that are IMPROVEMENTS?

jiifigment
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok, I just finished answering the "Bring it Back" thread, and realized that I can think of a LOT of attractions that have been replaced that were NOT improvements. (very depressing)

So, on a more upbeat note, help me come up with NEW attractions that take up the same space as something else, that have been improvements!

Mine:
1) Nemo Ride/Turtle talk - I really love the new Seas pavilion!

2) Lights, Motors, Action!

Beyond that, I need help! :(

jsdt
09-22-2007, 12:00 PM
1) Soarin

2) What was where Mickey's PhilharMagic used to be? I reallly like the new show but can't remember what was there before.

SandmanGStefani24
09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
what about Buzz in tomorrowland?

The old dreamflight/If you had wings attraction lives on in a way with soarin, so I feel like this was a good move.:thumbsup:

DisneyNut2005
09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
So, on a more upbeat note, help me come up with NEW attractions that take up the same space as something else, that have been improvements!

Mine:
1) Nemo Ride/Turtle talk - I really love the new Seas pavilion!

2) Lights, Motors, Action!

In addition to those mentioned above, here's some other replacement attractions that I think are improvements:

-Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros (El Rio del Tiempo was quite outdated and a little too stereotypical)

-Finding Nemo--The Musical

-The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management (it saved the Tiki Room from the wrecking ball and got guests to come back to it again, for one thing)

-Stitch's Great Escape (not as scary as the all-too-intense Alien Encounter, for one thing)

-Soarin' (I miss Food Rocks, but Soarin' is still an awesome experience)

DisneyNut2005
09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
2) What was where Mickey's PhilharMagic used to be? I reallly like the new show but can't remember what was there before.

Legend of the Lion King was the show that used to be housed in the current PhilharMagic building.

LoriMistress
09-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Mickey's Philharmagic is a great refurb. Though, I've never seen Horizons (but I've seen it on YouTube and thought it was great), but M:S is wonderful. Though, the last time we were at WDW was in 2003, but this December we'll be there so we'll be able to discover some of the new changes.

MrPeetrie
09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
1) Soarin

"Legend of the Lion King" performed with amazing puppetry called humanimals. It was an amazing show and I'd like to see it return somewhere.

Meteora
09-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I personally prefer The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh to Mr.Toad's Wild Ride, which I believe was the original ride in that spot.

And I like the new TTA more than the original people-mover, which was not quite as jazzy.

mainemajor
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
My entire family loves Test Tracks and think it's much better than the old World of Motion. A pavilior that was a see if it moves us to the new one that is a must see multiple times on any trip.
Soarin is also an upgrade from the old Kitchen Kabinet - Food Rocks.

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-23-2007, 10:20 PM
I very much prefer Ellen's Energy Adventure to the original Universe of Energy! So much more upbeat and interesting!

A Big Kid
09-24-2007, 10:55 AM
What about the obvious, people?

The whole of WDW replaced a swamp; wasnt that an improvement?

FatherForce
09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
At the risk of upsetting the Epcot Purists, the World of Motion, Horizons, Living Seas, World of Energy, and even Journey into Imagination
(eventually) have all had been signifigant and better upgrades.
Heck even HISTA is a much better movie/experience than Captain EO.

So I guess my answer is : Epcot.

Marilyn Michetti
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM
As I replied in the other post, I will NEVER understand why they got rid of Timekeeper, and for what? If they're going to have "meet and greet" in that area, it would relieve the congestion of lines outside in the hot sun, but so far, it's just sitting there empty.:confused:

I like Test Track better than WOM. WOM was the first thing we ever rode on our first trip, and DD has lots of nostalgia about it.

I'll miss Tarzan Rocks, but the new Nemo is a great place to sit in a cool place for around 40 min. That's going to fly for a long time.

The Lion King in Fantasyland was really cute, but Philharmagic is amazing.:D

There will always be problems with change, but Disney is doing well financially, so I guess they know what they're doing, (with the exception of Timekeeper, of course).:(

DisneyNut2005
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
As I replied in the other post, I will NEVER understand why they got rid of Timekeeper, and for what? If they're going to have "meet and greet" in that area, it would relieve the congestion of lines outside in the hot sun, but so far, it's just sitting there empty.:confused:

Actually, the Timekeeper area is not sitting anymore.

They installed a new attraction in there, which opened earlier this year: the "Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor".

I enjoyed Timekeeper, but the Laugh Floor is pretty good...and provides another great opportunity to get away from the Florida heat for a while and relax in an air-conditioned theather.

FatherForce
09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Isn't the Monsters Inc "Laugh Floor" wher Timekeeper was?

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM

As I posted in another thread, I actually preferred Captain EO. HISTA comes off more as a 3D movie intended for nothing but shock value (e.g., mice, snake, lion, dog sneeze) whereas Captain EO was a story that was fun, exciting, and imaginative (hence it being in the Imagination pavilion). Not to mention "We Are Here to Change the World" is just an awesome song.

DisneyNut2005
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Isn't the Monsters Inc "Laugh Floor" wher Timekeeper was?

As previously stated, yes it is.

jiifigment
09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
What about the obvious, people?

The whole of WDW replaced a swamp; wasnt that an improvement?

Ok, Big Kid, I feel like one of the characters now, I just put my hand over my mouth and did one of those silent laughs. :haha:

Great ideas guys! You're right -

Philharmagic was a HUGE improvement on Legend of the Lion King.

Sorry, but Test Track (though admittedly less educational) is more fun than World of Motion.

Soarin is a better repeat attraction than Food Rocks...although I'm glad I saw it.

There are definitely some improvements! :mickey:

Ian
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
At the risk of upsetting the Epcot Purists, the World of Motion, Horizons, Living Seas, World of Energy, and even Journey into Imagination
(eventually) have all had been signifigant and better upgrades.

So I guess my answer is : Epcot.Yikes ... I have never heard anyone try and claim that the new JIYI is better than the original. That's a first! Personally, I think the current one is a disaster. It might be the second worst attraction on property (after Stitch, which is also a disaster). But hey ... to each his own, right ...

Anyway, I'd say Soarin' is an obvious improvement. From what I saw, Finding Nemo: The Musical is too. The new Seas is pretty good ... better than the original. Laugh Floor is head and shoulders better than Timekeeper, which I didn't like at all.

There's a couple I consider a wash ... Buzz is about as good as If You Had Wings, although I would have rather seen it added to MK vs. replacing an attraction I liked. Philharmagic is good ... not great, but solid. I would have liked to see more done with the theater theming, but the film itself is fun. The new Mexico boat ride isn't really any better than the old one, but at least it's been refreshed to some degree. I thought it was kinda cheesy, but then again so was El Rio.

The rest are, IMO, pretty big duds. I'll take Mr. Toad over Pooh any day. I think the new JIYI is horrendous, as is Stitch. The New Enchanted Tiki Room Under Obnxious Management is a disgrace and should be imploded. I don't care for LMA even a little bit and, as much as I think Mission: Space is kinda cool, I'd take Horizons back in a heartbeat. I'd also rather have World of Motion over Test Track. The only reason I ever ride Test Track is because I don't have to wait in line for it!

DisneyNut2005
09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Yikes ... I have never heard anyone try and claim that the new JIYI is better than the original. That's a first! Personally, I think the current one is a disaster. It might be the second worst attraction on property (after Stitch, which is also a disaster). But hey ... to each his own, right ...

Anyway, I'd say Soarin' is an obvious improvement. From what I saw, Finding Nemo: The Musical is too. The new Seas is pretty good ... better than the original. Laugh Floor is head and shoulders better than Timekeeper, which I didn't like at all.

There's a couple I consider a wash ... Buzz is about as good as If You Had Wings, although I would have rather seen it added to MK vs. replacing an attraction I liked. Philharmagic is good ... not great, but solid. I would have liked to see more done with the theater theming, but the film itself is fun. The new Mexico boat ride isn't really any better than the old one, but at least it's been refreshed to some degree. I thought it was kinda cheesy, but then again so was El Rio.

The rest are, IMO, pretty big duds. I'll take Mr. Toad over Pooh any day. I think the new JIYI is horrendous, as is Stitch. The New Enchanted Tiki Room Under Obnxious Management is a disgrace and should be imploded. I don't care for LMA even a little bit and, as much as I think Mission: Space is kinda cool, I'd take Horizons back in a heartbeat. I'd also rather have World of Motion over Test Track. The only reason I ever ride Test Track is because I don't have to wait in line for it!

Ian, could you please be more respectful of our opinions and be more open-minded and less hasty?

I'd appreciate it.

tomorrowschild
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with Soarn', other then the fact that it has mad The Land pavillion soooo crazy.

I know that many will disagree with me on this, but I feel that the improvments they have made to Pirates are great.
I was worried that they would destroy the ride by adding all the new things, but I was pleasently surprised. All of the additions add to the ride, they don't take away. :mickey:

DisneyNut2005
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I know that many will disagree with me on this, but I feel that the improvments they have made to Pirates are great.
I was worried that they would destroy the ride by adding all the new things, but I was pleasently surprised. All of the additions add to the ride, they don't take away. :mickey:

Don't worry. I love the Pirates changes too.

I also love the enhancements that were made to It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion as well.

Ian
09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I agree with Soarn', other then the fact that it has mad The Land pavillion soooo crazy.

I was worried that they would destroy the ride by adding all the new things, but I was pleasently surprised. All of the additions add to the ride, they don't take away. :mickey:I agree totally. I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me quite a bit.

I also like the updates to IASW and I'm sure I'll like the HM updates when I see them, too.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-24-2007, 07:57 PM
These threads ALWAYS seem to rub someone the wrong way...

I don't think it is the least bit disrespectful of anyone's opinion for someone to say that they think any of these newer attractions are NOT an improvement over the attractions they replaced.

Who is being disrespected if I say my family definitely preferred the original JII? Or that we wish the TIKI Room had be left alone? Or that we loved Horizons and World of Motion and wish they were still here?

People are expressing their OPINIONS here, it would be pretty boring if everybody's opinions were the same, would it? That's why these are called discussion boards; so people can DISCUSS their opinions in a friendly manner.

Just my :twocents:

Time to get off the :soapbox:

WEDTOPIA
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Winnie-the- Pooh wins over Toad
Soarin' over Food Rocks
HISTA over Captain Eo
Mickey's Toontown Fair over Mickey's Starland
Snow Whites Scary Adventures over original
Laugh Floor over Timekeeper
Circle of Life over Symbiosis
Seas with Nemo over Sea Cabs
Reflections of China over Wonders of China
Mickey's Philharmagic by a nose over Legend of the Lion King.

Haven't seen the new Oh ! Canada nor the new and improved Haunted Mansion ,but I'm sure they are winners. I am , however ,holding my breath on the yet-to-be-finished Spaceship Earth.

Test Track and Buzz are pretty much dead heats , but if I had the chance to bring World of Motion or If You Had Wings or Dreamflight back ,I would. Gran Fiesta Tour is passable.

I also think that the upgrades on the Starjets , Dumbo , it's a small world , and Pirates are improvements.

But , alas , JII -3 , M:S, Tiki Birds , Sounds Dangerous , Stitch , Image Works , and Backstage Tour are all backslides , ( in my opinion , of course. ) Funny thing is ,all these attractions would be fine if they were originals , with nothing to compare them to. As replacements , they just don't hold up to the originals.

:mickey:

DisneyDudet
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
These threads ALWAYS seem to rub someone the wrong way...

I don't think it is the least bit disrespectful of anyone's opinion for someone to say that they think any of these newer attractions are NOT an improvement over the attractions they replaced.

Who is being disrespected if I say my family definitely preferred the original JII? Or that we wish the TIKI Room had be left alone? Or that we loved Horizons and World of Motion and wish they were still here?

People are expressing their OPINIONS here, it would be pretty boring if everybody's opinions were the same, would it? That's why these are called discussion boards; so people can DISCUSS their opinions in a friendly manner.

Just my :twocents:

Time to get off the :soapbox:

:ditto:

This is an opinion thread. People will disagree. There has not been one disrespectful post here.

Anyway, I think the improvements are:
Soarin;
Buzz
Expedition: Everest (whilst not a replacement, it is an addition!)
Ellen's Energy Adventure

And well.. I just lost all my thoughts so... yeah.. those will do for now!

FatherForce
09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
For the record, I certainly didn't mind Ian's disagreeing with me.
I expected more heat, actually.

I'll say that although JITI with Dreamfinder was pretty, it ( like most of Epcot's original attractions) seemed to me very dated. It's first rehab was awful, I agree, but I like the new one, and more importantly, my daughter likes it.

The same for Stitch.
I have found memories of Mission to Mars as a kid, but it was very dated.
Alien Encounter was fun once, but definately not for the young.
Stitch, however, is one of my (now 8 year old) daughter's favorites. In a couple of years it won't be I'm sure.
Stich is a success because it appeals to young kids who don't have much to enjoy in Tommorowland ( and I bet it helps sell a lot of merch too.)

That's my OPINION, just like Ian had his, and like you all have yours.

Isn't great that we can disagree?

Ian
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Father Force. I appreciate your respect and tolerance for dissenting opinions.

And for the record, if I evaluated these attractions through the eyes of my kids (as Father Force did), my answers would have been very different.

I was speaking strictly from a Disney-purist/adult point of view. My DD LOVES the Stitch attraction (and I'm sure DS will, too, when he's old enough for it). She also loves Test Track and some of the other attractions I slammed.

Although, even she hates JIYI! ;)

DisneyNut2005
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Father Force. I appreciate your respect and tolerance for dissenting opinions.

And for the record, if I evaluated these attractions through the eyes of my kids (as Father Force did), my answers would have been very different.

I was speaking strictly from a Disney-purist/adult point of view. My DD LOVES the Stitch attraction (and I'm sure DS will, too, when he's old enough for it). She also loves Test Track and some of the other attractions I slammed.

Although, even she hates JIYI! ;)

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to try seeing things through the eyes of others.

Also, I guess it's probably best that we agree to disagree. :)

wdwfansince75
09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
IMHO.....
If You Had Wings was fun, and I have great memories...but I enjoy Buzz more.

Horizons never had a line....yet millions miss it. I do too. It was a "Must Do"....but so is Mission Space.

I have ridden the new POTC, and it is great! Looking forward to the improvements (?) they have made to HM.

Love Mickey's Philharmagic...wasn't happy when they shut down Mickey Mouse Revue....but think they got it right this time.

World of Motion also had Incredible Shrinking Lines before it was replaced. It was never a "Must Do" I do enjoy TT.

I was disappointed with the original Living Seas Hydrolators...Nemo ride must be an upgrade.

Enjoyed Laugh Floor. Will not miss Timekeeper, as I didn't miss CircleVision 360.

Stitch is my least favorite replacement....but I was not a fan of Alien nor of Mission to Mars. IMHO, only useful function that building serves is as a support structure for TTA.

I visit Walt Dated World from time to time....not to mourn, but to visit.....they may be gone, but they ain't dead while my mind, and my memories, exist.

scoot241
09-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Obviously, Pooh's Playful Spot is a HUGE improvement over 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. :thedolls:

Seriously, Philharmagic is an improvement over the old Lion King attraction that was there.

I prefer Buzz Lightyear to If You Had Wings/Dreamflight.

I'd rather Winnie the Pooh than Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (I rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in May at DL... it really hasn't aged well).

WEDTOPIA
09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Horizons never had a line....yet millions miss it. I do too. It was a "Must Do"....but so is Mission Space.

[/QUOTE]

I have to make one comment on this , since it seems to come up every so often.

Many people think that Horizons was removed because of poor attendance . Not true. It was removed because the building was falling apart. That , and the fact that Disney was under pressure to come up with some more thrill rides.

The thing is , because Horizons was a continual loader , it made it seem that it wasn't busy. When in fact , it's throughput was among the highest on property.

If you asked most people which ride in WDW has the highest attendance right now , very few people would even consider Spaceship Earth. Yet , it is the most attended ride in WDW. It was the same way for If You Had Wings and still is for the TTA. These rides usually are/were walk-ons , because they are continual loaders ,so therefore very easy to get on.

Sorry this was way off subject , but I felt the urge to inject ....

Toad
09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
The only improvements I can think of are:

1. Mickey's Philarmagic - It's interesting to note that this attraction combines elements of all the previous attractions that operated in the same spot. A 3-D (Magic Journeys) musical revue (The Mickey Mouse Revue) that contains songs from a number of Disney films including The Lion King (Legend of the Lion King).

2. Soarin' - I'm not really a big fan of Soarin', however, I think it's an improvement over Food Rocks, which was IMHO a supbar revision of Kitchen Kabaret.

3. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - I think Buzz fits in Tomorrowland better and is slightly more interesting than its predecessor Dreamflight/Take Flight. Still there are times where I wish I could ride on Dreamflight.

For the most part, I think most replacements fail to match the quality of their predecessors.

jwallace378
09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Test Track is a heck of a lot better than World of Motion. Soarin is much better than whatever was there!

wdwfansince75
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Many people think that Horizons was removed because of poor attendance . Not true. It was removed because the building was falling apart. That , and the fact that Disney was under pressure to come up with some more thrill rides.

The thing is , because Horizons was a continual loader , it made it seem that it wasn't busy. When in fact , it's throughput was among the highest on property.

I knew about the structural problem...I didn't realize know about the throughput....Horizons my most missed attraction. But Mission Space is also a Must Do....My druthers are that both be there....but I suspect the cost of redoing Horizons makes the beancounters cring. I guess my final put is that I hate what they did with the place....while I love what they did with the place!

btw....Tigers or Gamecocks? And how about Wofford!

Septbride2002
09-26-2007, 02:47 PM
For the record, I certainly didn't mind Ian's disagreeing with me.
I expected more heat, actually.

:funny:
My first thought was, "actually that is pretty mild for Ian." :thumbsup: Love ya Ian!

To be honest I haven't seen many originals as I've only been going since 2002. I am really really really hoping that the Spaceship Earth rehab ends up being a positive as I truly love that ride.

~Amanda

Ian
09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
:funny:
My first thought was, "actually that is pretty mild for Ian." :thumbsup: Love ya Ian!Hey, now ... with friends like you I don't need enemies, Amanda!

scoot241
09-26-2007, 05:36 PM
btw....Tigers or Gamecocks?

Check my sig.

Edit: Oh... you mean Clemson... nevermind. :)

TTAtravler
09-27-2007, 12:38 PM
While I miss some of the old ones, if only for memory sake, I think I would give the new/replacement attractions an overall A- and at worst a B+. I am glad they don't let things get too out dated and they try to improve things. I do hope they never replace the Carousel of Progress.

If I could get rid of one the replacements it would be Stich! That was such a total waste of time. No one liked it in my family from 5 yrs of age to 40ish olds! Terrible. It is a shame they spent so much money on it.

I love the new Living Seas, Soarin, & Nemo show!:thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
If I could get rid of one the replacements it would be Stich! That was such a total waste of time. No one liked it in my family from 5 yrs of age to 40ish olds! Terrible. It is a shame they spent so much money on it.

It may make you feel a little bit better to know that they didn't spend that much money on Stitch because most of the attraction pieces (seats, pre-show animatronics, etc.) were already there as part of Alien Encounter.

To answer the topic:

1. Soarin' over Food Rocks even though I'm not as big of a fan of Soarin' as so many others seem to be.

2. Philharmagic over Legend of the Lion King

3. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor over Timekeeper

4. Pirates of the Caribbean updates over original

5. Haunted Mansion updates over original

I consider Mission: Space to be a great replacement even though I miss Horizons and would love to have it back.

I'm sure there are others that just aren't coming to mind right now.

jclightchasr
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM

I have to make one comment on this , since it seems to come up every so often.

If you asked most people which ride in WDW has the highest attendance right now , very few people would even consider Spaceship Earth. Yet , it is the most attended ride in WDW. It was the same way for If You Had Wings and still is for the TTA. These rides usually are/were walk-ons , because they are continual loaders ,so therefore very easy to get on.

Sorry this was way off subject , but I felt the urge to inject ....

:mickey:[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you mentioned this regarding horizons. Continual load rides normally always have shorter lines because of there capacity to move lots of people.

As for staying on topic:
Improvements:
Soarin
Philharmagic
HISTA
Pooh
Astro Orbiter
Pirates
Ellen
Small World

Losses:
TTA
Test Track
JIYI
Poohs Playfull Spot
Buzz
Tiki room under new management
Three Cabelleros
IMHO

For the record I don't have a problem looking or seeing through the eyes of others but I don't think that is what we asked to do here. I agree with Ian.

FalconeNJ
09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Rides that are better then the ones that used to be there.
1) Test Track
2) Soarin
3) Buzz Light Year
4) Phiharmagic
5) Mission Space
6) New Version of Pirates
Most of the others I think are very close or not as good.