PDA

View Full Version : Room Key Credit Card Link

PoohsGang
09-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Leaving for 2 weeks at BCV Nov 24th, in the past I have always had the room card linked to a credit card, this trip we were fortunate enough to put plenty of money away for spending. I was wondering if they only link room keys to credit cards or will they link it to a Debit card ? (Its a BankOfAmerica Debit card with the Visa logo on it) Has anyone done this in the past?

catsmommy555
09-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Yes you can link it to your bank of American card as long as the visa logo is on it. We just got back and used ours with no problems

BronxTigger
09-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I think you'd be safer linking it to a credit card. The direct link to my bank account makes me nervous.

I'd put the link to the credit card, then pay off all the charges when you get the bill.

Zippy_D_DooDah
09-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I second what Bronx said. We just paid off our Disney trip from two weeks ago. We just feel safer using a credit card versus a check card. Not saying it would happen, but let's say you left your room key at the pool or someother place and someone picked it up and started running up charges before you knew it was missing, it's a lot easier to dispute it if it's on a credit card rather than a check card. Just be safe.

tarjaybuff
09-22-2007, 12:21 PM
1) We take our cash to guest relations and add it to the room (you can use your room key without a credit card linked to it)

2) Go to a local Disney store and purchase gift cards. No fees, no expiration, and taken at 98% of the places in WDW. Its like using your room key. I get denominations of $150-200. Each day I take a new card. If I lose it I am not out alot of money, and my identity is still protected.

Leave in 4 days!:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
09-22-2007, 11:03 PM
We used our debit card as well, we had NO problems.

FYI....if you need to purchase the internet access for your room, you will have to leave a card, debit or credit, it is the only way to pay.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-23-2007, 03:32 PM
i just linked my check card--no problems. and if there were, visa check card covers you for stolen cards, and i asked--this would be included! ENJOY!

PoohsGang
09-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info, its a BankofAmerica debit with visa and visa has backed me in the past with unauthorized charges, they actually protect you the same as a credit card company. So I do feel there is very little risk using it.

Thanks again for the help. :thumbsup::mickey::number1:

MsMin
09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I'd had some lift my debit card info (I think it was on vacation in New York b/c they bought 1600 in gift certificates in New Jersey) I was protected.

For a little extra security, instead of signing the room key we sign "ask for ID" on the back of the card. Disney is great @ asking for an ID.

lockedoutlogic
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Never use a debit card to use for a room charge....

here's why:
1. Disney employees...while mostly meaning well...make a ton of monetary mistakes when dealing with the accounts. It is..literally...a matter of entering a dollar amount and hitting a button to put it on the card on file...and here's a nice wrinkle...sometimes the "charge" and "credit" options get stuck or switched...which means instead of "fixing" a credit mistake and crediting you back (which is subject to bank clearance and credit card system clearance...as is every transaction we make)...they actually double charge you...sometimes more than once.

I used to fix these types of errors daily at a WDW resort. Hopefully their "new" system...which doesn't appear to be light years ahead of the old...has better control over the money side of the program.

2. Because it has a visa logo does not mean that the card acts the same as an actual visa credit system. Debit is a different type of transaction...always has been. While the purchase functions on both usually clear within 2 or 3 days and are authorized almost instantaneaously...
To credit something back...it takes 10 days for your bank to physically put the money back into your bank account...which is much different than the 3 days on a credit card.

3. Most people do more in this day and age out of their primary bank accounts than just use a debit card or *eghast*...write checks :ack:
Many people utilize automatic or online banking and billpay services. IT is quite possible that an error done at WDW could affect your ability to maintain regular bill payments...and the penalties could be steep.

lockedoutlogic
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
For a little extra security, instead of signing the room key we sign "ask for ID" on the back of the card. Disney is great @ asking for an ID.

Are you going to the same place that I am?

Asking for ID is completely hit or miss at WDW...pay attention for yourself and you'll see what I mean