PDA

View Full Version : Comining Points with another Member

JPL
09-21-2007, 08:33 AM
I was wondering if points can be combined with another member to increase the length of stay or size of the accomodations. For example I have a DVC membership and so does my brother if we wanted to plan a family trip together can we combine our point totals when making the reversation so we can have one long continuous stay instead of having to move rooms or resorts.

CarolMN
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
There are two ways to do it. One is for each of you to make a reservation and then ask MS to link them together. For example, let's say you want to stay 6 nights in a 2 bedroom. You make a reservation for the first 3 nights and your brother makes a reservation for the last 3 nights. Each of you asks MS to link the reservations - which are for exactly the same type/size unit and have the same names on the reservation. (For example, this won't work if one of you reserves a lock off and the other a dedicated, so be sure to talk in detail before you call MS).

The other way is for one of you to transfer the appropriate number of points to the other's account. Then the recipient makes the entire reservation. Keep in mind that if you go this route, you wll have each used up your one per use year transfer.

If you have different home resorts, you will need to wait until the 7 month window opens to use the non-home resort points or make the portion of the reservation that is using non-home resort points.

Some have reported that transferred points take on the home resort and use year of the recipient. However, I would not count on that happening (it's not what the rules say should happen, but the computer system doesn't properly support the rules). The CMs are supposed to make notes on all transfers that would alert other CMs to the original home resort and use year. Chance it at your own risk.

HTH.

tinkerbell04
09-24-2007, 03:08 PM
We have done this numerous times and just for reservation ease we have always transferred the points into one account and then one person made all of the reservations. I am not sure about use year details since we both have the same use year and home resort. The CM's were very helpful each of the times that we transferred. They also let me know that if you transfer out to someone else, you can not have someone transfer back to you that year and vice versa. So, it is one way transferring per year. If you are accepting, you can only accept for that use year, if you are transferring out, you can only transfer out for that use year. Hope that helps!:mickey: