PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland Syndrome

ShelbyAD
09-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Has anyone ever heard of it? Experience it?

I was watching this show on TV the other night and they were talking about it. As I am watching it, I realized that I had it as a child. They say most children "grow out" of it by their teens. But some adult still experience it.

I still do some times. At least I now know what it is and that there is no "cure" for it.

DizNee143
09-21-2007, 08:38 AM
ive heard of it..but thats about it..
what is it?

ShelbyAD
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
It's where objects & body parts seem distorted. Kind of like going into a House of Mirrors at a carnival.

You can be in a room and everything in the room will either seem larger or smaller than they actually are.

Or you look at a body part (arms, legs, hands, etc) and they are tiny or large. You can be reading a book and either your hands will get larger or the book will.

It's kind of freeky when it's happening to you.

I personally have never read the book or seen the movie "Alice in Wonderland" so I never knew what was happening to me.

It mostly happens at night, but can also happen during the day.

There are times when I am at work and my computer keyboard seems like it is several feet away.

It has something to do with your brain. But it's not a life threatening thing and there is no cure.

snowflakegirl
09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
I have a sort of version of this ... For me it's not visual so much as it kinesthetic. And it's also generally at night. Sometimes, not often, but enough for me to have gotten moderately used to it and not freak out about it anymore, when I lay down to go to sleep, as I'm laying there, I suddenly feel like my body is getting larger and larger and that from my shoulders up is getting smaller and smaller... Very occasionally it's a reverse effect.... I have to concentrate pretty hard to get myself to feel like I'm proportioned again. And the worst part is I can't sleep when I feel like that, so until I get myself to feel like I'm back to "normal" I can't sleep.

One of my closest friends suffers from Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, too. She also has commented on how sometimes she'll be sitting at her desk (she's a secretary) working and her hands will suddenly seem to dwarf the keyboard or the keyboard will seem like its a yard away.

ShelbyAD
09-21-2007, 02:41 PM
when I lay down to go to sleep, as I'm laying there, I suddenly feel like my body is getting larger and larger and that from my shoulders up is getting smaller and smaller... Very occasionally it's a reverse effect.... I have to concentrate pretty hard to get myself to feel like I'm proportioned again. And the worst part is I can't sleep when I feel like that, so until I get myself to feel like I'm back to "normal" I can't sleep.
That also happened to me.

Or the room would get huge and the windows would be sooooo far away.

she'll be sitting at her desk (she's a secretary) working and her hands will suddenly seem to dwarf the keyboard or the keyboard will seem like its a yard away
Yep - this happens to me also. Sometimes I will feel like I am several feet above my desk and have to stretch to reach the keyboard.