PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Show at AK

mermaidmarian
09-19-2007, 09:25 AM
We saw this show for the first time in August (it was closed for some reason on the day that we were at AK in May) and I absolutely loved it! I thought it was a great adaptation (I kept wondering when the plans for the show were announced - "how are they going to do that?"), I thought the performances were really first rate, the costumes dazzling and that it was just thoroughly enjoyable.

So imagine my surprise when this brand new show has turned up on some of my fellow Intercotees "to be missed" lists. What gives? :confused:

Who else has seen this show and thought it was as great as I did? (mine! mine! mine! mine! bye! bye! bye! bye!.....)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Heh, the Nemo musical is one of my must-do's ever time I go to AK. I just love it. But I'm a Broadway fan anyways. The music is good, I love the actors, especially Crush, the sets are beautiful.

I think a lot of people might be turned off maybe because you can see the performers? And it's obvious they are using puppets. So that might be why it's not as popular with some people.

Then again, the soundtrack hasn't left my CD player and music list in weeks.

ChipnDaleGal
09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
My daughter and I both fell in love with the show in June. When we came home she immediately purchased the soundtrack off of Itunes for her ipod. We are going for a very quick trip in October to see Johnny and the Sprites. I asked her what she wanted to do in our three days and the only request she had was to see the Nemo show as many times as we can fit in around the Johnny shows. She wants to get it on tape so she can watch it whenever the mood strikes her.

It is an awesome show. Very creative sets, wonderful songs (from the very clever Ave Q people), and extremely talented cast. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AvonleaCF
09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I thought it was cute, but once was enough.

medic9016
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I saw parts of it on travel channel a few nights ago. We will see it for the first time next week.

bobpfef
09-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I thought it was by FAR the best show in Disney. We went to see it twice and the whole family loved it. We were in awe.

From what I have read, the people who don't like it can't get there head around seeing the actors and the puppets on stage together. I thought that added a lot to the show, as you can get more of the emotions from the actors that you would have got from the puppets.

Anyway, don't let a few naysayers throw you off, it is a great show.

ibrowse17
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
My DW is a Nemo freak, and is crazy about Crush and Squirt. We will be seeing the show for the first time in Dec, and will probably see it several times if DW has her way:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I completely agree with the OP. I was shocked to see this show on some of the must not do lists. It's fabulous and we plan to see it every trip. Someone in the must not do thread mentioned that the seats were hard, but I think the seating is the same as it is for most shows. Bring a cushion if you have to because this show is not to be missed. I'm curious to see why some people don't like it. :confused:

Jeff T
09-19-2007, 01:22 PM
My family really enjoyed this new show. My boys are 8 and 3. The only negative was lining up 2 hours before the show to get a seat. It was in the mid 90's outsite which made the wait difficult. I agree, this is one of the best shows on the Disney property.

crltkcagle
09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
We loved the show! It was amazing!

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I think the show is too theatrical for some folks. They can't get their heads around seeing the puppeteers and how their gestures and facial expressions are part of the performance.

I saw an interview with Julie Taymor recently about the Broadway Musical version of the Lion King. She said the question of seeing the puppeteers came up and she said, "We can expect more of our audience. They know they're in a theater"

I think the AK guests who are rejected Finding Nemo the Musical were expecting something like the MGM Beauty and the Beast show.

Finding Nemo the Musical reflects a lot of what Disney has learned with their success on Broadway - but that's a kind of theater some theme park guests may not be ready for.

Jared
09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Finding Nemo - The Musical is the best stage show in Walt Disney World without a doubt! I can't believe so many people skip this attraction.

The performances are incredible and the score is quite effective. Even Festival of the Lion King doesn't match the theatrical wonder of Finding Nemo - The Musical.

Goofster
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Even though I loved the sets, the colors, the puppets, and the use of puppetry with live actors...once was enough for me, and here is why:

1) I thought the whole thing was unoriginal. It merely rehashed the movie into a 45-minute synopsis (in contrast to FOTLK);

2) The songs were annoying, especially the first one (1st we go out, then we go back in, then we go out a 2nd time, then back in, etc.) I felt it took cheesy dialogue from the movie and put it to music. Unoriginal.

3). The movie is good, but not really worth a 45-minute musical.

My suggestions is that a musical could have been written about a new Nemo adventure or Nemo, Marlin and Dory's trip back to the Reef. Something besides the same movie that EVERYONE HAS SEEN!!!

Just my thoughts! :cool:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Goofster, the same thing can then be sad about FOTLK and BNB.

Both are just a rehash of the movies' key songs thrown into a 30 minute musical. So your rationalization on that is a bit off. Not to mention, Nemo is 100x better than BNB and a close tie when it comes to FOTLK.

Nemo was originally contracted to be a full-length production like the Broadway shows of Tarzan, Mary Poppins, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. But since Disney opted to have it in the parks rather than theatre, it had to be down-scaled to a smaller stage and adapted to be family-friendly as opposed to Broadway-friendly.

Goofster
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Goofster, the same thing can then be sad about FOTLK and BNB.

Both are just a rehash of the movies' key songs thrown into a 30 minute musical. So your rationalization on that is a bit off. Not to mention, Nemo is 100x better than BNB and a close tie when it comes to FOTLK.

I don't really care for BNB either. Though, the songs from BNB are far superior to that of Nemo the Musical. (I think you're stretching the comparison).

As for FOTLK, yes they reuse the same songs (superior to that of Nemo - see my OP), but its not a brief synposis of the Movie. Its a festival of music, acrobatics, etc., so to speak. Nemo-Musical to me, is a cheap, unoriginal attempt at converting a popular children's movie (not originally a musical) into a musical. Your references to Mary Poppins, Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc. all involve movies that are musicals. Per my OP, I thought the Nemo songs were cheesy and unoriginal. Not even close to the likes of Mary Poppins or Beauty and the Beast.

ryca1dreams
09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
It's fluff, but the kids will dig it. That's really why it's there.

FOTLK doesn't really follow the movie, though it does have the same songs, more or less. Plus, it has tumble monkeys!!

Nemo was cool to watch and better than the Tarzan show it replaced, but I still like FOTLK more.

Pop Centurion
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't like it all. Even my 12 yr old niece found it very boring. We both wanted to walk out but only stayed because my GF wanted to see it. Even she thought it was just okay.
I think the silliest thing about it was the actor who played Crush had a slight lisp and sounded nothing like him.

tnpoohbear
09-22-2007, 02:40 PM
We saw this show in March and it is fantastic! We go back to WDW in two weeks and can't wait to see it again. :mickey:

jsw123
09-22-2007, 10:00 PM
My sister and her DD5 braved the 90 minute wait time to see it. DD5 loved it, but her Mom (who LOVES Broadway Musicals) said it was boring and they had to SQUEEZE into a row after waiting all that time. It wasn't the puppeteers being visible, as they'd seen the Lion King on Broadway many times. "It was just boring," she said. They both love the Lion King show at AK, as do we!:mickey:

Kurtoon
09-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Does Nemo have tumble monkeys?
I love tumble monkeys.
Maybe if you put some tumble monkeys in the Nemo show and let them fly with umbrellas.
They can sing about human to beast transmogrification, or 1/2 fish wishing to have human legs, or being made of wood and wanting to be a real boy.

OK...sorry bout that

I'm looking forward to the Nemo musical...from what I've read about it, my family will love it.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe not waiting 90 minutes might have made it better. I never wait more than 20 at most. Ever. And you really don't have to. There isn't any advantage to being in the front rows. It's too close to the stage so you get a crick in the neck looking up at the stage. A lot goes on behind you and you have to turn around to see it. I usually find a seat in the center of the auditorium in the first few rows of the second level seating. Excellent spot.

I liked FOTLK as well, but I prefer Nemo. Seen FOTLK twice, seen Nemo.....a lot.

But it's not for everyone, I just don't see how it's any different than FOTLK, BNB, or VOTLM.

Terra
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I think the show is too theatrical for some folks. They can't get their heads around seeing the puppeteers and how their gestures and facial expressions are part of the performance.

I saw an interview with Julie Taymor recently about the Broadway Musical version of the Lion King. She said the question of seeing the puppeteers came up and she said, "We can expect more of our audience. They know they're in a theater"

I think the AK guests who are rejected Finding Nemo the Musical were expecting something like the MGM Beauty and the Beast show.

Finding Nemo the Musical reflects a lot of what Disney has learned with their success on Broadway - but that's a kind of theater some theme park guests may not be ready for.

Finding Nemo - The Musical is the best stage show in Walt Disney World without a doubt! I can't believe so many people skip this attraction.

The performances are incredible and the score is quite effective. Even Festival of the Lion King doesn't match the theatrical wonder of Finding Nemo - The Musical.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful points you two!!!!

Very classy IMO.
I LOVED it and sat in awe just like my 10 month old who loved all the music and performers!!!!
Disney has outdone themselves with this one.

So you are NOT alone!!!!