PDA

View Full Version : Value or upgrade?

maizey05
09-19-2007, 12:19 AM
So, this will be our first trip w/ DS (will be 12 months then). I have no idea what to expect, as he is changing so quickly and don't know what the napping, teething scenario will be then. We've always stayed at mod. resorts. This time, we thought we'd try a value, for the cost, and we are a "family" now. I've started to worry about the noise level. Also, I know we'll spend more time in the room, than ever before. We also MUST do the DDP. Should we try the value, stick with the mod. or splurge and try a deluxe?

BigRedDad
09-19-2007, 04:42 AM
It all depends on what you are looking for. Each have their pros and cons. We will be taking our DD2 next year. We are not sure about naps. She will definitely be taking one each day, but the question is whether she'd be taking it in the stroller or the resort. If it is at the resort, I will want to be able to get back quickly and be able to return quickly to the parks. Value resorts just don't offer that convenience unless you are driving. The monorail resorts are the only ones that fit that bill.

I have convinced myself to plan on quality vs quantity. Do I plan on going more than once per year? If so, then value/moderate is what we will do. If it is once per year, then I am going deluxe: CR, Poly, GF, WL, FWC.

gardenia
09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Really, until you have tried all three types of resorts, you won't be sure what suits your family best. If you do stay value, you'll be glad you have the extra money to spend on other things. If you stay moderate or deluxe, you'll be happy with the extra amenities and atmosphere. So, try a resort you haven't yet stayed at, whatever the level, and use that experience for planning future trips.

Disneyatic
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
What time of year are you going to be going?
This will impact the noise levels because of the amount of people.
We have stayed at POP both times we have gone and haven't had any noise issues. You can hear the toilets in the rooms around you and sometimes the showers and we did notice that you can hear the vaccum above when housekeeping is cleaning, but it was all muffled and nothing that would wake a sleeping baby.

I would definitely stay away from a pool view room though, just in case!

SAHDad
09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
The Unofficial Guide says that the six quietest hotels are All-star Music, All-star Sports, Dolphin, Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside and Swan.

But - noise probably isn't a huge problem, unless DS requires near silence when he sleeps. (Some kids do - but both my kids have fallen asleep in some fairly noisy and crowded areas.) Your bigger concerns are probably the room itself and transportation to and from the parks.

The All-star rooms are pretty tiny. I could stand being cooped up in one with a child, but it would get old really fast. You can walk around outside with a stroller at the All-stars, and some of the displays are really nice, especially for that age, but it's not so much an option is the weather is bad. And, as noted, the All-stars aren't the most accessible resorts.

On previous trips with a child, we have stayed at Wilderness Lodge (9 month old), and Boardwalk (2 year old). Boardwalk was incredibly convenient for Epcot (the World Showcase, anyway) and Studios, if you didn't mind a short walk.

May524
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
If you can splurge, then go for it! The Boardwalk is so convenient with being able to walk to both MGM and Epcot, along with the boat ride to each. The All Stars are OK resorts if you are just sleeping in them, but like you said you will be spending a lot of time in them. If you want a quiet resort, OKW is great. Best of luck! :)

#1donaldfan
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
If you've always stayed at a MOD......why mess with something good??? Unless your moving UP and going deluxe, I would stay with what you know best.......I don't have a problem with valuses, they just seem to be a little bit busier. I don't think noise is going to be an issue....the only issue I can foresee is busses and the number of people on each bus...you'll have a stroller to contend with and if the busses are very crowded.....well, it's just not very fun holding your child and also, trying to hold on to the stroller and people hanging over you.....??

Disney Doll
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
We're in the same boat as you- planning the first trip with DS who will also be a year old. We've stayed at values and at moderates before, but we opted to stay at a moderate for our next trip. I know we will spend more time in the room with a baby along so we feel like we'll get our money's worth from the moderate. Plus, I really enjoy the peace and quiet at the moderate resorts. Some say the moderates are too spread out and hate the walking, but I'd much rather walk a little than to be jammed in with hundreds of other people like at the values.

Dyanna
09-19-2007, 02:01 PM
We booked a room at POFQ next month as there will be a bit extra room for DD (1o months) & her pack n play.

mouse2508
09-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I think 1 of the earlier posts was right on: what's most important to you? For us, the proximity to MK is most important as that's the park we frequent most; that translates into deluxe which is a hit on the budget (every pro has a con:blush:).

We've stayed at AS-Sports, it was the first bus stop for the AS resorts (both p/u and drop off) which was nice; however, the beds were doubles.

Our personal fav is WL, very cool to ride the boat across the "water bridge" (we laugh we're making history every time we do this:party:).

We're probably not supposed to promote books, but we have found the Passporter to be an invaluable resource; coupled w/ Intercot's forums :thumbsup: I can honestly these are our 2 WDW planning resources that we cannot do without! :D

AllDisney
09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I think that if you are going to spend more time at the resort (napping etc.) I'd go for the moderate, if you can swing it! I think you'll be happier with the extra space you'll have in the room and the moderates have great landscaping, so taking the baby for a walk around the resorts is more enjoyable for both of you.

Suz36
09-23-2007, 08:15 PM
As others have said, it's all in what's most important to you. If it were me in the same situation, convenience of transportation would be my biggest concern, which unfortunately for the wallet would mean a deluxe monorail resort. The convenience of the monorail for both MK and EPCOT can't be beat, both to allow you to hop back and forth between the parks and hotel for naps, or to simply get "home" quickly when you, and especially DS, are done for the day. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

Nekochan
09-24-2007, 09:32 AM
If you can afford it, I would go with a monorail resort. I loved the poly, but if necessary, I would stay at the contemporary (I don't like modern decor). The wonderful thing about the monorail hotels is the ease in getting back and forth to the MK and epcot. Each of the monorail hotels has a character meal. The breakfast buffet at the contemporary with all the characters was great - food was good, and the important characters - minnie, mickey, donald, goofy and pluto were there. I stayed at the All Star sports and the poly, and there is no way I would ever stay at anything but a monorail hotel again unless I have a car. The bus was a real pain for me.

KylesMom
09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Ideally with a toddler of this age, I would also have to say that the most convenient room for you would be on the monorail.

That being said, I realize how expensive the monorail resorts are - and the fact that your budget may not be able to accommodate this jump.

If you aren't able to swing it, I would strongly suggest a moderate resort. Not only are the rooms bigger, but they also are equipped with a refrigerator - something that might come in handy with your 12-month old! Since you have always stayed at the moderates, I don't know if this would be the best time to switch resort classes. :mickey: