PDA

View Full Version : Signature Dining Choices

thejens
09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
What are the best, most worth it, 2T dining choices. I love Cali Grill and really want to try Jiko. I liked Brown Derby. I've never tried any others. Suggestions? Also, if I do CRT, which is best, breakfast or lunch?

Natazu
09-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Jym's unsolicited take on WDW Sig dining in order of preference:

First, don’t go to CRT. If you must go to CRT, do it for dinner when it’s at least somewhat of a value… almost. There are plenty of princesses to be found at other restaurants.

#1 California Grill: If you've been there, you don't need me tell you how wonderful it is. I can't imagine a trip to central Florida without a trip to California Grill. It's our Do Not Miss place.

#2 Narcoossee's: One word - Surf-n-Turf. OK, here are a few more words. First class, from your first view of the restaurant, to your last taste of scrumptious desert or French press coffee, Narcoossee's never disappoints. They have wonderful crab cakes and a great little selection of salads. If you’re not in the mood for lobster tail and fork-tender filet, they offer a killer snapper and some of the best sea scallops in Florida. Then, you can finish up with a desert course including choices from mild to scary-sweet.

#3 Citricos: With one of the largest wine cellars in Florida (they share with Vicky’s), Citricos never leaves one parched. And as for food, you’re in good hands with veteran Disney chef Phil Ponticelli. Fantastic culinary creations abound in this highly original Mediterranean menu presented with a distinct Tuscan flare. Don’t forget to save room for desert – Tiramisu, Cheesecake, or a wonderful Gratin of seasonal berries.

#4 Hollywood Brown Derby: On the dining plan, HBD isn’t that great of a value. Why? Because, as a general rule, this gourmet restaurant is priced well below mean. At CG or Narc, Rachel and I spend around $50 more than we do at the derby. It’s a great way to experience first rate dining at moderate rates (well, for Disney). Don’t miss the Seared Sea Scallop with barbecued kurabota pork belly and corn relish. Great seafood is the norm at HBD but they can sure fire a cow when then need to. Oh, don’t let them talk you into Grapefruit Cake, though. It kind of bites.

#5 Flying Fish: The loss of Jens Dahlmann was a great blow to the Boardwalk’s gem of a seafood eatery. Chef Tim has lots of great ideas, though, and I’m looking forward to trying checking them out in a few weeks. Consistently, FF has delighted guests with tantalizing fare and winning service. She Crab soup and Frutti De Mare are but a couple of epicurean delicacies that together serve to elevate Flying Fish far beyond the usual Boardwalk venue.

#6 Artist Point: With a motto like “A celebration of the rich culinary heritage of the Pacific Northwest”, you have a lot to live up to. Artist Point delivers with rustic elegance. Take a moment on the way to take in the wonderfully designed Wilderness Lodge eight story lobby, setting the stage for the beautiful interior of Artist Point, a destination in itself. Cedar Plank Salmon, AP’s crowning achievement and most popular entrée, never fails to thrill salmon lovers. If you’re not into food that swims, there’s buffalo, venison, and beef tenderloin grilled to perfection. Well, the venison isn’t so much grilled as it is blended into spring rolls served with hot sweet and sour sauce, but nonetheless a winning appetizer. I spent a while deciding whether I really considered Artist Point a signature meal, but they really do come through.

#7 Jiko: Bring your palate and make sure it’s ready for a workout. Spices you’ve probably never heard of are the cornerstone Jiko’s unique menu. I’ve been around the dining block once or twice and I have no idea what half of the descriptions on Jiko’s menu are talking about. Don’t be afraid to ask your server or even a kitchen manager to explain some of their more immoderate items. Offering an expansive list of African wines and temping desserts, not to mention a wonderful cheese plate, Jiko will entice you into a spending hours enjoying this dining experience. Plan little else the rest of the evening.

#8 Yachtsman Steakhouse: With cuts of beef presented for your examination through their glass meat cooler, you’d think the beef would be the highest of quality. Truth is, they get their meat from the same place as California Grill. I just don’t think the butcher’s eye at Yachtsman is as good. The service at Yachtsman is a good as the other signature dining places but in my opinion, the food quality has atmospheres to ascend should they want be at the same level as California Grill and Narcoossee’s.

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
If you're speaking from the perspective of simply the most monetary value for your points...then Yachtsmans and Narcoossee's are the top two...

But I'll give you my rankings based on overall food, location, and experience

1. Jiko
2. Citricos
3. Artist's Point
4. Cali Grill
5. Yachtsmans
6. Brown Derby (though...that really shouldn't be a two pointer)
7. Flying fish
8. Narcoosees (by far the most overated)

BugeyedMuggy
09-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I think Jiko is the best. The atmosphere is romantic. The service was excellent. You have to be willing to try different tastes not just the same ols steak & potatoes . We are going to Jiko's in a few days and going to try Cali Grill. Hope Cali is good and it's not over rated due to the view of MK.

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I think Jiko is the best. The atmosphere is romantic. The service was excellent. You have to be willing to try different tastes not just the same ols steak & potatoes . We are going to Jiko's in a few days and going to try Cali Grill. Hope Cali is good and it's not over rated due to the view of MK.

Agree.....on both accounts.

I like the Cali Grill...but I've been there probably 6-8 times and it really seems to get repetitive - even when the menu features are changed.

I think she is overated for two reasons:

1. Wolfgang puck has just as good California styled cuisine in WDW. It takes some of the sheen of what's offered at Cali Grill
2. People make the view out to be more than what it is...It's nice...but you don't sit with your eyes taped to the windows. And besides....front and center of in the view is the service area sitting between main street and tomorrowland. Disney parks are designed to be aesthetically pleasing when looked at from inside the park...not above it.

thejens
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive reviews! I am contemplating doing the deluxe dining plan and trying to cram as many 2T as I can into the week since I'll probably never do this again. I'm leaning toward Cali Grill (love it! and not for the view!) Jiko, Flying Fish (mostly because of its location near Epcot) Brown Derby/FAntasia (again location). I am thinking about CRT because I'll have the credits and my 6 year old niece will love the princesses and maybe even my 4 year old son will be amazed by eating in Indellella's castle. My 9 year old son will no doubt be disgusted. I really don't want dinner there. Any more thoughts?

Natazu
09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive reviews! I am contemplating doing the deluxe dining plan and trying to cram as many 2T as I can into the week since I'll probably never do this again. I'm leaning toward Cali Grill (love it! and not for the view!) Jiko, Flying Fish (mostly because of its location near Epcot) Brown Derby/FAntasia (again location). I am thinking about CRT because I'll have the credits and my 6 year old niece will love the princesses and maybe even my 4 year old son will be amazed by eating in Indellella's castle. My 9 year old son will no doubt be disgusted. I really don't want dinner there. Any more thoughts?

Yes, if CRT is ever going to be a value, it will be on the Deluxe Dining Plan. ;)