PDA

View Full Version : DVC @ Disneyland is now official!

DVC Mike
09-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Responding to a growing demand for guest accommodations in Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort today celebrated an expansion of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa that will increase accommodations by more than 30 percent and will include the first Disney Vacation Club villas in Anaheim.

This expansion, scheduled for completion in late 2009, will involve 300 union construction jobs and result in 100 new hotel jobs. It underscores Disney's long-term commitment to growing and investing in Anaheim. The expansion also marks the latest in a series of major additions to the Resort that include the newly launched Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney's California Adventure.

"This expansion underscores our commitment to growing and investing in both the Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Resort Area," said Ed Grier, president of the Disneyland Resort. "These new hotel rooms and villas will give more people the opportunity to enjoy the immersive vacation experience Disney is known for. We know that our guests value being able to stay in the middle of the magic with our world-class theme parks, shopping and dining just steps away."

The 2.5-acre expansion on the hotel's south side will add more than 200 new hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas. Those vacation villas, to include kitchens, living and dining areas and other home-like amenities, will mark the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, Disney's innovative vacation-ownership program.

"For more than 50 years, the Disneyland Resort has been investing in our community and they have helped us build a world class resort destination in which all of Anaheim can be proud," Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle said. "Thanks to Disneyland and the Anaheim Resort Area, Anaheim boasts one of the fastest growing markets in the country for hotel occupancy."

Other elements planned for the project include a rooftop deck for viewing fireworks, a new swimming pool and about 300 underground parking spaces. Peter Dominick of 4240, architect for Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is designing the ambitious expansion. It will reflect the same California Arts & Crafts architecture of the existing hotel, which immerses guests in a turn-of-the-20th-century California experience.

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa currently features 745 guest rooms, including 44 suites. Upon completion of the expansion project, the hotel will feature 945 guest rooms, including 44 guest suites, and 50 Disney Vacation Club two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas.

Maleficent's Dad
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Great news! :thumbsup:
Where'd you get the info???

Carol
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Where'd you get the info???The article is posted on the Disneyland Media site. You can read the entire article here (http://intercotwest.com/news.aspx?newsId=196).

Mushu11756
09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
It sounds like good news but it only mentions 50 2 bedroom DVC... the rest of the rooms are to be hotel rooms.... I did not see anything about studio or 1 bedroom DVC..

For a small park I would not even bother using my point's on a 2 bedroom there.... If I misunderstood the article someone please let me know... Thanx

SignguyTom
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
50 two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas

Could this mean they might be like the 2BR at BWV with a studio and a 1BR connected? Maybe...? Hopefully...? :fingers:

Figment!
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Another Article:

Disney Plans To Expand Hotel

Grand Californian will get 250 more units, including first vacation club villas.

By SARAH TULLY
The Orange County Register
September 18, 2007

ANAHEIM – Disney is planning to expand the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, its high-end lodge in the Disneyland Resort, by adding about 250 units, including the first vacation-ownership villas, the company is expected to announce today.

The expanded hotel would grow by 2.5 acres, stretching south of the hotel that opened in 2001 alongside Downtown Disney and Disney's California Adventure theme park. The Grand Californian already has 745 rooms.

The first Disney Vacation Club units on the West Coast – 50 two-bedroom-equivalent villas – would be part of the new area. The club is a vacation-ownership program that includes other Disney locations and associated members.

"This expansion underscores our commitment to growing and investing in both the Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Resort Area," said Ed Grier, Disneyland Resort president, in a prepared statement.

sillyolbear
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice new DVC option. Thanks for the info.

NewmanFamily6
09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
How exciting! My family has never been to Disneyland before and we will be able to go now thanks to our DVC!

Deesdisney
09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Yes. I have been waiting for this. Now I will have to buy in two places. When will they go on sale?:mickey:

DVC Mike
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
The "50 two-bedroom-equivalent villas" are probably 2-BR "lock-offs" that can either be a 2-BR or a 1-BR and a studio.

Although not mentioned in the press release, the guides were told there were would be a few 3-BR Grand Villas as well. We'll have to wait for more details.

Ian
09-18-2007, 05:46 PM
This is excellent news. Now we're just a cheap Southwest flight and some tickets away from another visit to DL!

DVC Mike
09-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I was surprised that DVC is now claiming that "sales, profits and membership have doubled since 2003" (according to Jim Lewis), and that there are now 350,000 DVC members.

lockedoutlogic
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I was surprised that DVC is now claiming that "sales, profits and membership have doubled since 2003" (according to Jim Lewis), and that there are now 350,000 DVC members.

Wow...since DVC told us there was 120,000 members last November.....they had a HECK of A YEAR!!!!

...or the info is completely false...which it is.

tundramom
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
The Grand Californian is a stunning facility. I'm sure the new addition will be equally gorgeous. :cloud9:

DVC Mike
09-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow...since DVC told us there was 120,000 members last November.....they had a HECK of A YEAR!!!!

...or the info is completely false...which it is.

Maybe DVC is getting creative with how they count their membership? Could it be that they now count all the contacts (including associate members) on the contract?

J.T.Toad
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I am not sure how to start this reply to the great news about the new Villas at the Grand Californian as I realize that you are all so very excited.

In replying to my post, Please keep this in mind. I am a proud member of the Disney Vacation Club.

A little about myself, a California native living in Anaheim for two years, been to Disneyland at least 100 times.

The first thing you have to consider is size does matter. Unlike WDW the only thing that separates Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge and the Monorail is Harbor Blvd. Howard Johnson’s is probably one forth the cost and is very nice. From Motel row It is a 5 minute walk to the turn style at Disneyland. Right next to Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge is McDonalds and a family style restaurant Milleys that have every day pricing. Unless you are dead set on staying at the Grand California Villas I would consider selling your points and staying at, First Choice Disneyland Hotel, Second choice Howard Johnson’s.

JT

Mushu11756
09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Na I rather stay at Disneyland then HOJO'S:thumbsup:

DVC Mike
09-19-2007, 09:21 AM
A little about myself, a California native living in Anaheim for two years, been to Disneyland at least 100 times.

The first thing you have to consider is size does matter. Unlike WDW the only thing that separates Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge and the Monorail is Harbor Blvd. Howard Johnson’s is probably one forth the cost and is very nice. From Motel row It is a 5 minute walk to the turn style at Disneyland. Right next to Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge is McDonalds and a family style restaurant Milleys that have every day pricing. Unless you are dead set on staying at the Grand California Villas I would consider selling your points and staying at, First Choice Disneyland Hotel, Second choice Howard Johnson’s.

I too am a native of California and lived Orange County (Anaheim, Fullerton, Brea, Placentia and Yorba Linda). As a local, I visited DL dozens and dozens of times during the 30 years I lived there. I just hopped in the car and drove there; in 15-20 minutes I was there.

It's also true that it's a shorter walk from some offsite hotels than the Disneyland Hotel.

That said, there is something to be said for staying at the DVC at the GC, and having a view of DCA and being able to have your own entrance to DCA. You are right in the middle of the DL resort.

While I hope to be able to use my points for a future stay at GCV, I don't plan on buying points there.

Septbride2002
09-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Very Exciting! I forsee a trip to Disney Land in 2010!!!

~Amanda

BrerGnat
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
So, are they actually going to SELL these 50-odd units or are they just going to be available for current DVC owners to use? I ask because currently, at Disneyland Resort, the DVC booths are selling the Saratoga Springs DVC units. I just wonder if they'll actually open up these units for new sales to people who want this to be their home resort?

Also, I wonder how they will price these (if they do sell them to new members) in comparison to the WDW properties. I would think that they will either command a premium price, or they will be cheap in comparison to say, Saratoga Springs or AKL DVC.

Mufasa
09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
So, are they actually going to SELL these 50-odd units or are they just going to be available for current DVC owners to use? I ask because currently, at Disneyland Resort, the DVC booths are selling the Saratoga Springs DVC units. I just wonder if they'll actually open up these units for new sales to people who want this to be their home resort?

Yes, expect DVC to be selling the units and not just make them available for current DVC owners to use. There has been a lot of interest in offering DVC units for sale at Disneyland and this serves as only a glimpse of the first phase of bringing the DVC to Disneyland.

Already the resort has run a promotion for Annual Passholders- there's a contest right now where Disneyland AP holders can apply for a chance to win a 3 year sample DVC contract good for up to 225 points per year to use at any DVC property but the contest rules also make it clear they are collecting passholder information for marketing purposes (I expect them to be the first to be contacted with details for buying into the DVC at the Disneyland resort) since there's a good number of AP holders who are not local to the resort that would be an ideal target group.

Carol
09-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Let's also hope the cast members are trained and more knowledgeable in DVC too. When I used my DVC membership card for an annual pass discount last month the folks at the ticket booth looked at me like I was an alien. :alien:

Ian
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Also, I wonder how they will price these (if they do sell them to new members) in comparison to the WDW properties. I would think that they will either command a premium price, or they will be cheap in comparison to say, Saratoga Springs or AKL DVC.It's hard to say. The resort is smaller and there's less to do in DL than in WDW. Average stay is shorter, etc. That would lead you to think prices might be lower.

But it's a much smaller facility and that's what primarily drives cost in DVC. The smaller WDW DVC resorts are more expensive, because there are fewer owners to spread the costs over. My guess is DL will be priced on the high end.

Let's also hope the cast members are trained and more knowledgeable in DVC too. When I used my DVC membership card for an annual pass discount last month the folks at the ticket booth looked at me like I was an alien. :alien:Stupid question that I should know the answer to, but you can get a discount on a DL AP with your DVC membership?? :confused:

SignguyTom
09-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Stupid question that I should know the answer to, but you can get a discount on a DL AP with your DVC membership??

Yes, we just bought one for our DD and there was a $20 discount. The price for a non-Southern Cal Deluxe AP was $219 (instead of $239). :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Mufasa: thanks for the reminder about the contest! I read about that in the AP newsletter and never entered. I just entered online now! It would be cool to win a "trial" DVC membership. I keep thinking about joining DVC, but I'm just so up in the air about it.

Ironically, now that it is going to be "in my backyard", it's interesting me even more. Only because we will only be living here about another 2-3 years, and when we have to leave, I'll sure miss Disneyland, and so will my boys, I'm sure, who have only known the DLR thus far (they're only 3 and 1, so...) Anyway, it might be cool to have the DLR DVC to be our "home" for when we move away from here, as I'm sure we'll want to come back often. And, we could also use the points at WDW, so that's a bonus...

Now, to convince my husband...

Carol
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Stupid question that I should know the answer to, but you can get a discount on a DL AP with your DVC membership?? :confused:You sure do - plus discounts at many of the shops and restaurants. You have to get the passes at the gate though. They are not equipped to apply the DVC discount at the hotel.

If you use your points for a stay your guide will send you an email with all of the locations discounts can be applied. (Mine does anywho. )

Interesting enough; I asked about a discount at one of the stores and the CM told me only Premium pass holders got discounts there. It was a perk for paying so much for their pass. Needless to say I had to enlighten him on DVC - since we pay a bit more than the cost of a pass to be a 'member'. He honestly thought it was similar to the old Disney Club memberships. :thumbsup:

Ian
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Well that's good to know!