PDA

View Full Version : Must NOT dos?

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
The message thread on Sounds Dangerous, prompted me to ask this. I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't seen it in a while.

What are your "Must NOT dos", attractions, shows, restaurants, etc at WDW that you might warn others to avoid, or at least put on the bottom of their list.

Mine are as follows:

MK - Country Bears, sorry I know it's a classic, but it's just old and not very funny after once.
Epcot - Living with the Land, once is enough
MGM - Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey, nice show to catch a nap :sleepin:
AK - Pocohantas, in fairness I've never seen it, but then I've heard enough others say to stay away

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
This is difficult because I don't think I'd tell anyone to not do something. I like to try everything at least once even if it is boring.

So I'll say this is my list of things to do once but I wouldn't do a second time:

MK - Mickey and Minnie's house

Epcot - video's at the different countries

MGM - Journey into Narnia (awful!), Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (neat to see once), Sci-Fi diner (worse food I've ever had )

AK - Rafiki's planet (onces is enough)

magicman
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
My ONLY must NOT do is: The Universe of Energy at EPCOT.

I don't like:
1) The fact that nothing is mentioned about the cons of fossil fuels.
2) Some of the facts presented as facts are a bit dubious (the Big Bang Theory espoused as fact by Bill Nye and other fact flaws bother me when young impressionable minds are around).
3) It's sooooo long.

Jenemmy
09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, I can tell ya one thing....ain't nobody NEVER gonna get me on Dinosaur again!!!! LOLOL!!

I mean, sure -- it's a great ride if you like being chased by vicious, predatory, man eating beasts (I've never actually opened my eyes to see him....but he SOUNDS bad when he roars!!!)

That's a must not do for me -- but honestly, I can't think of much I would tell others to stay away from. I always like to give people a healthy warning about Mission: Space, and I think I may have inadvertantly scared a few away from that.

Plus, there are probably a few attractions I would tell you to skip if the lines were too long....Snow White, Tea Party, Carpet/Dumbo going in circles rides, speedway....etc....

Dyanna
09-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Universe of Energy. Unless you've seen it once your not missing anything new. Great to get out of the rain however.

wdwfansince75
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Stitch! There are some "don't need to do's" (Dumbo, Energy, Sound's D(ull)), but I avoid Stitch as the bad joke that it is!

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Stitch! There are some "don't need to do's" (Dumbo, Energy, Sound's D(ull)), but I avoid Stitch as the bad joke that it is!

Unfortunately, for those of us with kids, Stitch is almost a MUST DO, at least once. When we were there last year in September, my two youngest (10yo boy, 11yo girl) wanted to do Stitch. This year, (last week), they said "no thanks, let's do something else".

thrillme
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Must not do Narnia. What were they thinking. A lenghty wait for NOTHING. (maybe the wait was long and crowded because it was "new" but very dull).

"It's a small world after all". Must take all newbies through it once to make sure the song is permanetly burned into their brain.

Polynesian Dweller
09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Hmm. This is a hard question. I also wouldn't want to say that there is anything that shouldn't be tried at least once, though there sure are things that you don't have to do and still have a great time at Disney.

The closest to Don't Do for us would be Swiss Family Tree House.

dml
09-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Here's my list of "if you've done it once, you've done it enough."

Swiss Family Tree House @ MK
The Land @ EPCOT
Videos in World Showcase @ EPCOT
Sound Stage show with Drew Carey @ MGM
As far as AK goes, there are a few things that I haven't seen be/c they don't interest me, so I would never tell others not see them.

:mickey::mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
MK = Enchanted Tiki room
AK = Nemo musical.....seats too hard
MGM = 50's Prime Time.....YUCK!!!! (sorry)
Epcot = Spaceship earth....at least until it's updated...

Gottaluvgoof
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
MK - Stitch for sure, even my kids never want to go on it again
Swiss Family Treehouse...BORING!

MGM - Universe of Energy, for same reasons as above, thought it would never end

Epcot - O Canada, you have to stand and the theater makes me dizzy

AK - Just can't get myself to ride that train just to go to a petting zoo that I can do at home

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
MGM - Universe of Energy, for same reasons as above, thought it would never end

Epcot - O Canada, you have to stand and the theater makes me dizzy

I believe Universe of Energy is at Epcot, not MGM.

O'Canada and the China pavillion both have the circlevision (stand-up) theatres. I don't have a problem with these, but both of them make my wife naueseaus, yet she can ride Mission Space numerous times, and once will make me nauseaus for at least an hours. Stange in a funny kind of way, or vise-a-versa.

Gottaluvgoof
09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=GrumpyFan;1422759]I believe Universe of Energy is at Epcot, not MGM.

You're right, sorry. I messed that up. But, I still don't like it, regardless of where it is. :D
I am like your wife, Mission Space Orange Team, doesn't bother me, but that theater about did me in.

Olivia's Daddy
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Pocahontas in AK and Circle of Life in EPCOT are far too preachy for me.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-18-2007, 03:06 PM
This thread is the beautiful thing about WDW, there is something for everyone!! (or not for everyone, depending on what your personal preference is...)

Many of the things listed above are things that I love, my outlook is usually... I'm on vacation! Go with the flow and have fun... I will go on/see anything... hey, it's Disney, how bad could it be...

The only thing I will not do is the "fast and furious" version of Mission Space... makes me very :ack:

Great thread though, it's fun to see what others dislike... :thumbsup:

Jasper
09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I would like to add some thoughts along the same vein as Disney Twins Mommy. While we are certainly all entitled to our opinions of whether something is a must do or a must not do, I would warn anyone who has not seen a particular attraction to take the comments you see here with a grain of salt. There have been many positive and negative things written about various attractions that I and my family just totally disagree with.

Bottom line is that there are two things I always tell people;
1. Don't skip an attraction until you have done it at least once yourself and have made up your own mind that you do or do not like it.
2. Don't let the opinions here impact your opinion. Make sure you do your best to go in with an open mind and experience it for yourself and then make up your mind.

As to some specifics, I like the Drew Carrey attraction that so many others hate. No, it is not the first thing that goes on my priority list at the Studio but if I have time it is still fun.

I absolutely LOVE the Enchanted Tiki Room. Yes, I did like the original version better but I still really do like the current one as well.

I do not particularly care for The Great Movie ride at the Studio. It seems to be rather slow and doesn't really have much of a point. Also the holdup seems rather out of context and as a result seems a bit strange.

Those are just my thoughts but please see everything at least once and then make up your own mind.

DisneyDudet
09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
I have to say that some of my Must Do's are on your nots. I LOVE Universe of Energy! I think its funny. I do not agree with the big bang theory at all, but I still think its fun and I love the dinosaurs. I remember then from the original version when I went when i was 6!! Epcot is so near and dear to my heart. The one park I remember from when I was 6 years old! I also like the shows in the World Showcase. I love the Impressions De France. The music is beautiful and I just love the country. I need to see the new O Canada movie.

I don't think I have a Must Not Do. There are many that I don't plan on doing from hearing all the reviews (Stich comes to mind). There are plenty that I haven't done, and don't care to (Swiss Family Tree House, etc).

So, really, if anyone is wanting to know what they shouldn't do when they plan... I never say "Don't do this... blah blah blah" because something that isn't for me, may be their cup of tea.

The only thing I will tell them not to do is drink the Beverly... I'm not mean and evil like some of you hosers! jk

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Jasper, I completely agree. And, I apologize to others here if you mistook my intent. Yes, I titled this "Must NOT dos", but truthfully, if you avoided everything people here told you not to do, or was a waste of time, you could very well miss some true gems at WDW. So, as Jasper said, even though some of us may not like a certain attraction, see it for yourself and make your own opinion.

As for restaurants, I would highly encourage going to a "bad one" more than once, and at least a year apart. Every Restaurant/waiter/chef can have a bad day, which can impact your experience. So, give them the benefit of the doubt, and try again. Also, keep in mind that chefs at WDW come and go, and move around to different restaurants. So, what you experience this year, may be completely different next year.

princessimagineer
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
i may be the first person to not list an attraction/reastaruant as a not do, but i will not do the free dining season EVER agian. it was fine the first year they had it, but this past year, now that people know about it, its just too busy and hectic. is it just me or arent you supposed to look nice when you sit down to these reastaurants, weather your paying or not? now im not a parent nor will i be for quite a few years but i do not think its cute when you let your kid take their sneakers and sox off in chef mikeys and let them stand barefoot on their seet.... but thats just me.... (yes this happend)

but my not do - Sounds Dangerous, Voyage of the Littlema

also i never go on Great Movie Ride or Honey i shrunk the audience (but thats not because i hate them, its because i had a frightening experience as a child that i am still not ready to face quite yet.... :blush: )

am i the only one that thought that Narnia was realy just a trailor for Prince Caspian?

mickey&missy
09-18-2007, 05:10 PM
So far my only NOT do is Rafiki's Planet Watch. Ugh! I feel like it took forever to see hardly anything. Plus, I hate petting zoos. I LOVE animals. But, the smell in a petting zoo makes me :sick:

luvdiznee
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Presidents at MK and Spaceship Earth at EPCOT, unless you have to dodge the rain or need a quick nap :thumbsup:. The petting Zoo at AK. I know they take precautions to keep as germ free as possible, but ickkk:sick:And The Great Movie Ride at MGM, a couple times is enough. But not needed for every trip. :mickey:

AvonleaCF
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
There's a lot I don't do, just because I've been to Disney so many times and don't care to see them again.

Magic Kingdom:
-Hall of Presidents
-Liberty Bell boat
-Stitch
-Astro/Dumbo/Carpets (all the same ride really)
-Carousel
-Teacups
-All of Toontown
-Tiki
-Country Bears
-Speedway

Epcot:
-Honey I Shrunk
-Innoventions

MGM:
-I will skip everything but the Movie Ride and Muppets

Animal:
-Tough to be a Bug (sorry but I will not be poked/stung ever again!)
-Triceratop Spin
-Primevil Whirl (aka the whiplash coaster)
-Rafiki's
-Nemo musical (once was enough)

There's a lot I don't care for. But for the rides I do love, I go on over and over. Plus I love just walking around and going to the shops.

And yes the answers here really do show how Disney has something for everyone. I for one love Energy (I love Ellen and this is a nice break from the sun) and Circle of Life (so eye opening and gorgeous footage).

EmmMOM2
09-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Tom Sawyers Island
Living with the land (boring for young kids)

Everything else i like a LOT! :)

mrsgaribaldi
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I have to say that some of my Must Do's are on your nots. I LOVE Universe of Energy! I love the Impressions De France. The music is beautiful and I just love the country. I need to see the new O Canada movie.

jk

I love Universe of Energy too. I like to try and sit so that we get spit on:blush: I also like to relax in there.
We saw the new movie in Canada last week and really liked it alot:thumbsup:

letsdoitagain
09-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Having only been to Disneyworld once (Disneyland several times as a kid/teenager), I already have a few:

MK: Country Bears (based on DL version)
Dumbo/Astro/flying carpet
Tom Sawyer Island
Small World (Once is enough in a lifetime)
Toontown (not as good as DL version)

Epcot: I can do without everything EXCEPT Test Track and World Showcase. World Showcase wasn't what it had been hyped up to be. I was expecting a little more from each country other than just shopping and eating. Can't judge Soarin'...didn't get to ride it.

MGM: I can do without everything but TOT. Great movie ride was OK.

AK: I could do without the Monkeys flinging poo from the ropes and towers when your heading towards the Safari. Kali River Rapids was kind of a dissapointment too...didn't get too wet.

Deesdisney
09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I do not have a not to do list. However I do write down must dos, like to do and if I have enough time to do. I like to see and do as much as I can. Even those that are not the fun ones. However I also have a list of can not do. Ever since I got Vertigo, I can not do anything fast or that turns around and around. Oh yea.

SandmanGStefani24
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
the Lion King Movie about conservation is a MUST MISS!! :down:

On top of not being very entertaining, it is VERY preachy and more like propaganda...gee, excuse us for being humans! I understand the value of the lesson, but there are better ways to get the point across. Skip it!

I think everything else is at least worth a shot...well, except for it's a small world! :D

clou1028
09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Well I don't think there's any attraction or ride, given the time, that I wouldn't do.

Unfortunately for me, I have two things that keep me doing many attractions:

1. Short Visits - some things are low on the priority list. I'm usually only there for four days.

2. My Husband, while does not outright refuse me any ride or attraction, definately does not care for some like Peter Pan, Country Bears, The Tiki Room... etc.

So I saw some earlier posts mention Stitch as being not so great. That bums me out! Alien was one of my favorites, I was hoping Stitch would be as good. I got to see it one last time, as I was there shortly before it closed for re-hab.

I'll still go Stitch for myself, who know I might love it! :)

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
For those of you who chose to miss Rafiki's Planet Watch... just know it has the MOST hidden mickey's in the entire WDW area.... It is sooooo fun to try to find them all.... (It also has the smallest!) I don't like the petting zoo either, but there is lots to see and learn there without touching or smelling an animal... :mickey:

LoriMistress
09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Watching the Backlot Tour is as much fun as watching paint vote. LOL

tinksmom02
09-18-2007, 09:14 PM
My daughter's (5) must not do's, that she actually remembered from when she was 2:

MK-Snow White
AK-It's Tough to be a Bug

And she has no desire to see Little Mermaid at MGM, but that's because she doesn't like Ursula.

princessM0m
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Journey into Imagination--it used to be a great pavilion, but now it's just a BIG :sleepin:.

baldburke
09-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I do not particularly care for The Great Movie ride at the Studio. It seems to be rather slow and doesn't really have much of a point. Also the holdup seems rather out of context and as a result seems a bit strange.

I'm with you on the Great Movie Ride. We only did it once an I don't think I wold do it again. The line was rediculously long for October. And like you I did not really see the point.

And, like you, I agree tht you try everything once. We typically just avoid those attractions we do not care for. There are cetain attractions that we are waiting until the kids are a bit older for them to appreciate, but I think we will take them for the experience.

TKDONALD
09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
4 simple words. ITS A SMALL WORLD

:yoda:

Here we go again...
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I have a few must not dos:
I must never get on Stitch again.
I must never ride ToT again... scared me to death
I must never do Mickey's Backyard BBQ again... too hot and crowded
I must never tell my family they better have fun - or else
I must never forget how lucky I am to have Disney in my life and a family that loves it as much as me. :cloud9:

DisneyDudet
09-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Aw... you're so sentimental!

So I won't be dragging you on ToT?... darn... I'd like to hear you scream!

snifflesmcg
09-19-2007, 05:32 AM
I'm kinda surprised at some of your "must not do's" because some of these are some of my favorites. I don't think I could ever go to WDW and miss the Great Movie ride, Living with the Land or Mickey and Minnies house. I saw the Pocohotas show for the first time this trip and I liked it very much.

Here is my list-
MK-
~Swiss Family Robinson

~Tom Sawyer's Island (I don't know how this is fun for adults at all. It's something that should be at a summer camp)

Epcot-
~Ellen's universe (however I always do it to get off my feet for 45 minutes and into the air conditioning)

~the Lion King movie is a once and done as well. I don't mind it being "preachy" as they are trying to relay a message that alot of people ignore. Alot of Epcot is this way.

~the countries 360 movies. I find them boring and who wants to stand there and watch them?

MGM-
~Sounds Dangerous
~Playhouse Disney (we have no kids)

AK-
~Rafiki's planet watch
~Dinoland with the exception of Nemo and Dinosaur itself.
~The trails around the park. Last thing I wanna do is walk thru trails on a hot day to find the animals hiding.

BritCody
09-19-2007, 06:39 AM
MK- Mickey and Minnies house.

E- Universe of Energy

MGM- Sounds Dangerous

AK- Kali River Rapids, Prefer not to walk around the park in wet shoes.

Misc- Planet Hollywood

CaptainSad
09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I have been to WDW so many times since 1983. I have only one that I would not even consider doing again. That is "Sounds :ack: Dangerous". No imagination what so ever. If you want to use it as a place to get a short nap, then by all means go ahead and enjoy.

There are rides that don't interest me like they did the first time. So I may skip them during the next trip. But then there are the rides and shows I would do over and over again.

Figgyluv03
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
MK - Goofy's Barmstormer (too old for it, and don't have little kids)

Epcot - like someone had said before. All the ones that have movies instead of attractions, except Canada, 'cause I like that one.

Studios - Sounds Dangerous

AK - Everything. I guess it's gonna be consided a new park for me since I was there once to see Tarzan Rocks and it's not there anymore.

rnin02
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't think I have anything I hate to do, and looking at everyone's lists is a little surprising! But here are rides I will skip if necessary with no regrets:

MK: Tree House, Tom Sawyer's Island, the River boat, most of Fantasyland, and all of ToonTown. And Stitch. And AstroOrbiter. And the train. The only thing we always, always skip is Toontown, because we don't have kids.

Mgm: Sounds Dangerous! but DH won't let me:( The great Movie Ride. Narnia (actually, Narnia is a big must skip for me), Lights Motors Action, the Backlot Tour.

Epcot: Mission Space, Universe of Energy, any of the movies at World Showcase. the whole Journey into Imagination Pavillion. The Land movie with Simba and company

AK: Any kiddie ride. Everything else I can sad about skipping. I guess I can live without the Bird Show (flights of wonder?), we skipped that one this year without a problem.

The only "must not do" I have is Narnia (what's the point, really?), DH made us do that again this trip just in case we missed something the first time...didn't miss anything, this has no point. I would love to skip Sounds Dangerous, DH likes it. Not sure why?? I'm pretty flexible about everything else though...

Disney Doll
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
We always try everything once and would encourage others to do the same. There are some attractions we don't hit every time, but very few have made it onto our never again list.

AK- Rafiki's Planet Watch: There's just not much out there.

EPCOT- Honey I shrunk the Audience: outdated

MGM- Sounds Dangerous: boring

BTW- I really like Univ. of Energy and the Lion King Movie at EPCOT. I saw those on a couple of must not do lists. I even saw a couple of people mention the Nemo show. :jaw: I love that one!

Gator
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I have to agree with Universe of Energy as a must-miss. Ellen's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

My personal choice to miss is San Angerl Inn and Cantina. I've tried them both (at the angst of my DW) and HATED them. The food, the salsa, and the service stink. Avoid at all costs.

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Here's my nots:

Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Peter Pan's flight (I love the ride...but fastpast now guarantees a 45 minute wait)

Universe of Energy
Maelstrom
Imagination (both attractions)

Indiana Jones and Star Tours...what a disgrace

Kali River Rapids
Triceratop Spin

Everything else has something to offer...these are either dated, thrown together in an obvious manner, or - in the case of Star Tours - a complete miss since day one.

bleukarma
09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I don’t really have any definite “not ever do again” except for Dinosaur. I will never get on Dinosaur again unless I’m looking to challenge myself. It was just too scary and bumpy for me. Also, I don’t like 3-D shows so I skip those, except for Mickey’s Philharmagic…I like that one. I just take my glasses off if it gets to me. The others don’t seem worth the headache.

I have a few I try to avoid. The Tiki Room and the Country Bear Jamboree, but depending on who I’m with sometimes I’m forced to do it. They just aren’t my thing. Also Splash Mountain and ToT because I don’t particularly like drops, but those are two rides that I will do if someone else in my group wants to do it.

Since I don’t have kids I don’t do the kids stuff, like Mickey’s Toontown and the Playhouse Disney thing. I’m sure that will change once I have kids though.

I don’t think there is anything that I have never done that I won’t do, even if they are on someone’s “not-to-do” list. I usually have to try something out myself to get my own opinion of it. The exception would be the Tough To Be a Bug show. It’s 3D so I already know I won’t like it. Also, I would never tell anybody not to do something, I think people should try them out themselves. I would warn people about Dinosaur being scary/bumpy but if they want to try it…go for it! And I never advise against restaurants, Disney’s or any others. Just because I had a bad experience doesn’t mean they will.

Clotho
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Watching the Backlot Tour is as much fun as watching paint vote. LOL

OMG I must remember this!

Tiki Room at MK is still haunting me with it's horribleness. We DLR kids have it good keeping the original!

Spirit of Aloha. GAG! All the rest of the trip I kept saying, "I want that night back!" I should have listened to the reviews. It was awful. I ran into two other couples on a ride back from DTD one night, both who had seen it on other nights, and we were commiserating about how awful it was.

Stitch was another that let me waaay down. I am a huge Stitch fan, and this was just horrid. Not fun in the least. Won't do it again.

Have to say that the Nemo ride was bad, too. But I will probably do it again next time, because it is a nice way to kinda feel like you are moving into the Sea theme.

chicade88
09-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Why I like to try everything once, since it's just my boyfriend and I, mine would be...

MK: Barnstormer, The Speedway
EP: The Circle of Life Lion King Show, Most of the country's movies
MGM: Sounds Dangerous, Sci-Fi (awesome atmosphere, terrible food and service)
AK: Pocahontas show

SAHDad
09-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Hrm, let's see what I can miss and not care. There are probably more than I list here, because I concentrate on what I want to see or do, instead of what I don't.

MK: Splash Mountain (it's okay, I've done it, but got banged up on the drop, so I'm not real gung-ho about doing it again), Space Mountain (not a huge coaster fan, but I've done it too), Hall of Presidents (unless I need a nap), Stich, Indy Speedway, It's a Small World (got stuck on it once for an eternity and a half. . . or about 45 minutes), Carousel of Progress (stuck on it even longer, twice).

We have kids, so we'll still hit the Speedway, Small World, Peter Pan, etc - but I could pass on them, if time was a factor.

Epcot - Honey, I Shrunk the Audience (did it, it was okay, but not great). That might be it. I like most of what is at Epcot

MGM - I pass on the coaster, and still haven't done Tower of Terror yet (though I might talk myself into it this time), but I generally enjoy most of this stuff too.

AK - I can skip some of the shows (not Lion King though), and I will probably try Everest this time out, though it may move into the "Did it, do not need to repeat it" category.

(Oddly enough, I like Big Thunder in MK, and Primeval Whirl in AK.. . . go fig.)

Jared
09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I never talk about the bad attractions to anybody else. Everyone should have the opportunity to decide what he likes. Some people actually enjoy what I think is pointless.

Regardless, here is my list:

Magic Kingdom:
The Enchanted Tiki Room
Swiss Family Treehouse
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Country Bear Jamboree
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Stitch's Great Escape!

Epcot:
Most of World Showcase
Circle of Life

Disney-MGM Studios:
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Sounds Dangerous
Playhouse Disney - Live On Stage!

Animal Kingdom:
Rafiki's Planet Watch
TriceraTop Spin
Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends

:D

Stan
09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
My only must not do is...

...must not forget I'm in Disney World and that just about anyplace else I'm likely to be, and anything else I'm likely to be doing, would be less enjoyable than this attraction I'm in that maybe has missed the mark for me a bit. :rolleyes:

You just have to keep your perspective. Of course, I've gummed mine up considerably by creating a job where I work (yes work) in WDW a lot, doing something I really enjoy. So my head is probably never going to be screwed on right again. :secret:

meldan98
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I only have one MUST NOT DO AGAIN....

Do not go to the pub in England and have an adult beverage and then go to the circle vision movie in Canada!!!!

You are guranteed to :ack: everytime!!

texasteacher
09-19-2007, 11:12 PM
MK - Jungle Cruise, Treehouse, Tom Sawyer's Island, Snow White, carousel, racing cars
Epcot - Universe of Energy, The Land boat ride, Journey into the Imagination (the new one is awful!), Honey, I Shrunk the Audience,
San Angel Cantina (I'm from Texas and am used to much better Mexican food), the stand up films in World Showcase, and Maelstrom (but my son usually forces me to ride it)
MGM - Muppets, Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, Indiana Jones
AK - It's Tough to be a Bug (annoying - once was enough), nature trails, Kali River Rapids (kind of dull)

ktflisa
09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Must not do Narnia. What were they thinking. A lenghty wait for NOTHING. (maybe the wait was long and crowded because it was "new" but very dull).

"It's a small world after all". Must take all newbies through it once to make sure the song is permanetly burned into their brain.

I agree with both! Just got back from the world where my brother and his fam joined us. They all have never been to any Disney park. When we were on Small World, my 20 year old nephew turned around and looked at me and said "Did we REALLY just get on this ride?"... I just cracked up and told him it was a newbie requirement!

(Narnia is gone, btw)

TBY2225
09-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok, I know I will get hounded for this, but

MGM- I do not like ToT! It is not too wild for me, too mild is more like it. I prefer free falls from top to bottom, not just a few floors!

MK- Indy Speedway- boring and always hot!

wedway76
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Many of the things listed above are things that I love, my outlook is usually... I'm on vacation! Go with the flow and have fun... I will go on/see anything... hey, it's Disney, how bad could it be...
:

:ditto:

I'm surprised how many people have so many attractions they don’t like!!!!

I like them all. Of course I like some more than others. I basically have 4 personal categories of rides, Must Do’s, Would Like to Do’s, No Skin of my Nose If I Don’t Do’s, and Motion Sickness, rides. The only ones I avoid are ones that make me sick (motion sickness), but I will still ride them from time to time.

rnin02
09-20-2007, 03:20 PM
(Narnia is gone, btw)

When did Narnia leave? Not that I'm upset, I'm just surprised. It was there a week and 1/2 ago.

DisneyKim22
09-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Like several others, I don't really have a "must not do" list. But, I do have a few things that I would only do if I had a lot of time on my hands or needed a rest, or someone I was with had never tried it before (I also believe everything should be tried once).

Universe of Energy - not bad, but a little too long for me. This is my "I need a break, and maybe a nap" attraction.

Dinosaur - I don't know why this scares me at the age of 39.

Star Tours - Not a fan of Star Wars at all. But, will go on it if DH really wants to.

Movies in Epcot where you have to stand. - I just can't stand in one place for too long.

Not a attraction per se, but whenever we are at the Crystal Palace, I leave the table when I see Piglet coming. I am a bit ashamed to say that from childhood through adulthood, Piglet annoys me. It's the only character I just don't get. :blush: I'll do my best to hide this from my nephews and niece this next trip. I don't want them to take any cues from me.

Dave H
09-21-2007, 08:20 AM
2) Some of the facts presented as facts are a bit dubious (the Big Bang Theory espoused as fact by Bill Nye and other fact flaws bother me when young impressionable minds are around).

I don't intend to start an argument here, but having just got back from WDW I can add that Bill Nye prefaces his statement about the Big Bang Theory with "scientists believe that..." so it's not being presented as fact.

I do agree that some of the facts are a bit dubious though, such as the estimates as to how much gas/oil/coal/etc. we have.

Back on topic, my must NOT do's:

MK: has to be Swiss Robinson Treehouse and the Tomorrowland Speedway
Epcot: when it's open, the Wonders of Life pavilion
MGM: Sounds Dangerous - I finally broke down and tried it on my last trip, and this "attraction" just plan *****
AK: Kali River Rapids - just not into getting totally soaked

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
09-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I like everything and would rather being experiencing any attraction at WDW than be home. There are several things that we don't visit every trip though.

MK-Stitch, it stank, literally and figuratively
Epcot-I have never seen any of the films in WS
MGM-I have never seen Sounds Dangerous
AK-Rafiki's Planet Watch, it's okay, but not something we have to do

The Land @ EPCOT
:

Wow, The Land is one of our must do attractions. My girls love it! My oldest likes it so much that she has gone on the tour of the greenhouses two times.

AK = Nemo musical.....seats too hard.

But did you like the show ;)

This thread is the beautiful thing about WDW, there is something for everyone!! (or not for everyone, depending on what your personal preference is...)

Great thread though, it's fun to see what others dislike... :thumbsup:

ITA, so true...

:ditto:

I'm surprised how many people have so many attractions they don’t like!!!!

I like them all. Of course I like some more than others. I basically have 4 personal categories of rides, Must Do’s, Would Like to Do’s, No Skin of my Nose If I Don’t Do’s, and Motion Sickness, rides. The only ones I avoid are ones that make me sick (motion sickness), but I will still ride them from time to time.

I am surprised as well that there are so many true WDW fans who avoid so many attractions. I have a motion sickness category too :ack:

BTW, we love Swiss Family Treehouse and always walk through it :confused: Does that make us wierd??;)

DisneyDoug2
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
MGM - Narnia, the only good thing is it is air conditioned!

Bethis26fan
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Last year I was told not to do beauty and the beast that it was just ok. We we did it anyway and loved it. So on the same token I wouldn't tell anyone not to go, but for me there are some I won't do this year.

I won't do Tony's again, IASW, and Stitch. Those do nothing for me. Tony's wasn't worth the price. It's a small world was so annoying by the end.(I know it's a classic but still) and stitch I can do with out the chilli dog. But I want to try everything once so you know. :)

DisneyCouture
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Epcot: IMHO Any of the movies at World Showcase and Honey I shrunk the Audience.

century3
09-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Personally I can avoid any stage show (live action). They've never done much for me.

Epcot-Nothing I'd really skip if I had the time, but if I had to, I usually skip The Seas (it will always be the Living Seas to me). It's just not what it was.

I personally love Energy Adventure. I make sure to go on this one every time and not just to avoid the weather. I like Ellen. I love the visualization of the big bang and the formation of the solar system at the beginning. :sun: For the time, I’m sure the figures given were pretty accurate, but remember, it was more than a decade ago when this attraction opened in its current form so I’m sure we’ve learned a bit more since then. Also remember that the attraction was sponsored by Exxon at one time, so I’m sure Disney wasn’t too anxious to put anything painting oil in too bad a light, when the sponsor is an oil company. That’d be like Test Track concluding with “…and that’s why everyone should just walk or bike wherever they go.”

Samtastic
09-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I love Energy Adventure!!!! and I :heart: bill nye!!! And of course you have to take the science with a grain of salt (it's meant to entertain even more than it's meant to inform--and it is!).

I love all of disneys (some more than others)---Ugh I was nauseous already before going into Stitch for the first time, and walked out even more :ack: but I'd still do it again. Ew just thinking about it, made me smell it again!

dumbo ears
09-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I dont know what I must not do. I like to do it all. well maybe a one must not do is ride small world

devoted93
09-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm in the minority in that the World Showcase movies are a highlight for me. I especially love "Impressions de France" ... fantastic. I'm not as keen on the Canada movie update, but it's okay.

I'm also very disappointed in the new Mexico boat ride. That went from a must-do to a must-not-do very quickly :(

Tink#64
09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I think we all have our fav's & least fav's. I'd hate for any first time trip planners to make any decisions based on this info. Many of the things listed on this thread are among our fav's!

I've seen first hand how someone's opinion of certain attractions can influence anothers trip. My aunt went to WDW first trip since she was a child last year. My own mother discouraged her from visiting her "Must Not Do's" and my aunt still regrets some of the choices she made knowing it will be quite a while before she can return.

I know this was started in fun, but I wouldn't want someone planning their first trip to read this and take these opinions to heart! Of course we all have things on our least fav list, or things we've done & wouldn't mind if we didn't do again. But I've never visited any attraction that I regretted or would recommend to someone else to pass up.

So, to keep this in the light hearted manner in which I'm sure this thread was started ...

our least fav's would be:

Country Bears, Stitch, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse,& The Liberty Square Riverboat

But I would strongly encourage everyone visiting for their first time to try everything on their list. We've visited every attraction in all four parks and can only come up with five that we would not miss if we didn't do again.

rnin02
09-22-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm also very disappointed in the new Mexico boat ride. That went from a must-do to a must-not-do very quickly :(

i forgot about this one! i hate the changes they made, we rode it twice just to make sure, and the new version is just awful. they made it so campy and cartoony, we just didn't like it at all.

LudwigVonDrake
09-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Stitch's Great Escape. I also think Test Track is overrated and have only done it once about 8 years ago and not since.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-22-2007, 09:21 AM
This was actually a bit of a hard one, since everyone should try everything, at least once, since we all have such different tastes, but I have to say, my NOT DO's are:

#1 - the speedway in MK - go to a Nascar Cafe instead

#2 - the Swiss Family Treehouse - way too many stairs for not a lot of payoff!

Just my thoughts...I've loved reading what everyone else thought!

LibertyTreeGal
09-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Hmmm.... for me, I would say, if you are scared of roller coasters then don't let anyone goad you into it! How's that for a "must not do?" Throwing up on your kids and staggering around for an hour ruins everyone's day (but, on the plus side, they don't try to convince you to do it again :ack: )

But seriously (and no, that never happened to me, but I've known it to happen in other places to other people):

MK: SGE
EPCOT: Universe of Energy (when you are bored after only two minutes, you know you are in trouble)
AK: Conservation Station (if Pocohontas hadn't been so stunningly beautiful, it would have been a total wash
MGM: Narnia! Oh my goodness, was that ever boring (except for getting to see the costumes!)

mouseketeer mom
09-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Lots of people are saying Living with the Land in Epcot is a must NOT do.
Its so weird. My 13 yo DD, who is not a "nature girl" in the least, believe me when I say that..LOVES that ride. Its a must do for her and its so bizarre because I can barely get her outside to play. She has zero interest in gardening, etc..but as Isaid, for whatever reason she loves that ride.
So go figure. :confused::confused:
I think the point is, even if you think its not for you, give things a whirl at least once. You just might get surprised!

crltkcagle
09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
can i say epcot? LOL I just wasn't that into epcot this year. I HATED ellen's energy thing. I did like soarin and i do like to tour the countries but my kids didn't give me the chance. we couldn't do test track or mission space because of the kids being too small. maybe next year it will be better.

Figment1988
09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
here's my list:
MK
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Dumbo, the magic carpets, and astro orbiter (it's the same ride no matter what minor modifications, it's like sub-zero and scorpion from Mortal Kombat, even though they're different, they're practically the same character)
Tom Sawyer Island (despite the caverns and the bridges, everything else is not surprising to me)

Epcot
Honey, I Shrunk The Audience (i used to like it when they had the True Colors pre-show, but the preshow now is too commercial in my opinion)
Circle of life (in my opinion, timon and pumbaa are comic relief characters. and if i want to see something about protecting the enviroment, i'll stick to captain planet)
Innoventions (it was good when Sega had its exhibits, but other than the IBM section where you can try out the Nintendo Wii, i often skip this)
Test Track (why bother if it's now notorious for its breakdowns)
Mission Space (the lite version because it takes away the fun about this ride which is the G-forces)

MGM Studios
Voyage of the little mermaid (the little mermaid doesn't grab my attention that much anyway)
Sounds Dangerous (i'd rather listen to a movie trailer's audio via my ipod in the dark than listen to this)

AK
Pocahontas (i loved the MGM studios show, but this... it doesn't grab my attention)

birdie1410
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
The first thing I do if someone asks what they should skip is ask how long they will be at WDW, THEN I will ask about their kids and interests. Had a family ask once about certain rides-turns out mom gets vertigo very easily but the kids will ride sky rockets without parachutes. Touchy on advice there. But for DH and myself, we won't do Stitch-no kiddies so won't bother. Let's see,
MK-Stitch, Swiss Family, Tiki birds (can't stand that voice), Speedway(been there done that plenty with the kids), most of the live shows,the whole kiddie area with Minnie and Mickey
AK-Pocahantas(no kiddies), any kiddie rides for same reason, usually skip Rafiki but not a must not do, Nemo musical
MGM-Sounds D, Indiana Jones, Sci-Fi diner, all the little kiddie things except Muppet 3D, actually, MGM is my 4th favorite park. lol
EPCOT-ALL the world showcase videos-I have the same problem as listed by others, I cannot stand in one place that long., pretty much skip UoE, Imagination,Innoventions for the most part
I'm sure there is more because we live less than 3 hours away and can go more often. Some things we never miss unless it's broken down but these are our frequent skips.:mickey:

cal5755
09-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Our only must not do's are whatever is being refurbished! We always go with such a large crowd (never less than 9) that whatever some don't like the others do like. None of us think there is a ride in Disney worth refusing to go on if someone else in the group likes it. It is Disney.....even the dull rides are great ;)

mainemajor
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know how I would be able to tell anyone what not to go on because what people like is so different.
That said one ride I will never go on again will be Astro Orbiter - it just freaked me out when I rode it.

thejens
09-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Usually I would say try everything once and make up your own mind. Even the country bears are kind of fun to make fun of...but there is NO reason to do Narnia. None. If you have seen a commercial for the movie you have seen this, um, attraction. I hope it really is gone. If they do a Caspian, um, "attraction" they need to actually have a ride or some other attraction quality about it! Okay, sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

The best way to enjoy these other not-so-stellar attractions is to watch the faces of little kids. IASW is amazing when seen through the eyes of my 3 year old!

Edenza
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I have to agree about Planet Watch (the Rafiki thing at AK). I'd read there was a petting zoo and all kinds of interaction w/ animals so we got Safari FPs and headed back to Rafiki's place. The only animals kids could interact with were goats and I can do that at the smallest petting zoo back home. There is a Rafiki character meet & greet w/ a short line but the train ride there & back plus the wait for the trains just isn't worth it.

streudel423
09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
MK: Stitch's Great Escape (sorry, we waited in line for 2 hours when this first opened and it was the dumbest ride, IMHO!!)

MGM: Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, Sound Dangerous

Epcot: none

AK: none

kbean
09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Some people sayLiving with the Land. I like that one, probably cause it's relaxing. I usually pass on the Energy ride.