PDA

View Full Version : Where is Walt's window on Main Street?

Disneyatic
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Am I crazy in thinking that Walt has a special window somewhere on Main Street and there is always a light on in it?
I know I read or heard this somewhere and during our trip last week we looked for it and couldn't find it.
I also asked 4 different CM's and no one could tell me where it was, 3 of them had never heard of it!!
Can someone help me with this?

TinkInTraining
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
It's on the second floor of the last shop on the Right...I think it's the cookie/Ice Cream shop. His window is facing the castle so every night when WDW says goodnight, Walt can see it.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
You are 100% correct... it is above the Ice Cream Shop/Bakery on the right side of Main Street.... Once you pass the shops and you get into the open area, turn around and look up at the windows above the Bakery... :mickey:

disneymom15
09-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I'll have to remember this for our upcoming trip. Thanks for the info.

Figment!
09-18-2007, 01:15 PM
From Hidden Treasures & Surprises (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/park/hiddentreasures.asp)
Windows of Main Street
The windows on the upper floors of Main Street pay homage to those who contributed to the Magic Kingdom park or the Disney Company. Two of the more notable windows are those for Walt Disney and Roy Disney. Walt’s window is above the Ice Cream Parlor facing Cinderella Castle and Roy’s window is above the Main Street Confectionary facing Town Hall.

:photo: Picture (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/images/MSWindows.jpg)

tkerbow
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I saw it Sunday and it said Walter E. Disney. It's right where everyone else said it is. Main Street is full on names of people who helped on the Florida project but Walt's is the last one you see as the street is like movie credits. You see Roy first (the producer) and Walt last (the director). His is also the only one that faces the castle. I don't like that his name is split between two windows. I don't know if there is any signifacance to that.

Polynesian Dweller
09-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the pics. Will have to look for Walt's window on our next trip.

mermaidmarian
09-18-2007, 06:12 PM
It's on the second floor of the last shop on the Right...I think it's the cookie/Ice Cream shop. His window is facing the castle so every night when WDW says goodnight, Walt can see it.

It says Walter E. Disney in window lettering. It always makes me smile to see it. :mickey:

Bobby T
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
A couple extra tidbits.

1.) Walt's window near the castle states he offers "Master Classes in Design and Master Planning".

2.) Walt Disney also appears on a window in the Walt Disney Railroad Station. You can see it if you look up just as you pass through the turnstiles in the center of the station. That window proclaims Walt the "Chief Engineer"; which clearly states the obvious but also refers to Walt's love of trains. This also keeps with the motion picture metaphor as movies often open with who's film you are about to see.

stitch and co
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Am I crazy in thinking that Walt has a special window somewhere on Main Street and there is always a light on in it?

In Disneyland, they leave a a lamp on in the window of Walt Disney's apartment located over the fire station (I believe that is what is under the apartment, I need to go look at my pictures). When you walk in to Disneyland and look to the left on the second floor you can see the lamp and then later when the sun goes down you can see the light.

meldan98
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I can confirm that there is a lamp that looks like an oil lamp in the main window of the apartment above the fire station on main street at DL. When Walt was alive, the light was lit when he was staying on property, so the cast members would know. It's my understanding, the day he passed away, the light was turned off. From then on, the light has been lit to remind everyone that Walt is always looking down on them.

Every time we go to DL, I look at the light to say hello to Walt, and then when we live I say goodbye. It was especially emotional when we watched the candlelight processional a few years ago and we could see the light during the show.

BigRedDad
09-19-2007, 04:11 AM
As said above, there is an old lamp over the Firehouse at DL. However, Walt never stayed at the apartment in WDW. He passed prior to it being complete/ready. The only reason I know this is it was on one of the Disney Travel On Demand snippets from TWC (channel 1107 here in NC). It is "Fact or Fiction - Disney 01". I just watched it again to confirm:

At DL, the lamp can be seen dead center above the Main Street Fire Dept. It is rumored, back in the day, that it was a message to the CMs that "the boss is watching". There was no confirmation on that show on WDW. I think I saw that one on a Discovery HD program.

Ariel_Fan
09-19-2007, 03:26 PM
As said above, there is an old lamp over the Firehouse at DL. However, Walt never stayed at the apartment in WDW. He passed prior to it being complete/ready. The only reason I know this is it was on one of the Disney Travel On Demand snippets from TWC (channel 1107 here in NC). It is "Fact or Fiction - Disney 01". I just watched it again to confirm:

At DL, the lamp can be seen dead center above the Main Street Fire Dept. It is rumored, back in the day, that it was a message to the CMs that "the boss is watching". There was no confirmation on that show on WDW. I think I saw that one on a Discovery HD program.

We have that station too and I wish they would put more on there. Its a great way to get a fix in. I can't wait to look at the windows the next I go to WDW.

dolphinmickey9170
09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Here is a great picture (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2110675630042804337VqHSQG)of Walt's Window I got in August.

Ian
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Every time we go to DL, I look at the light to say hello to Walt, and then when we live I say goodbye.When I went to DL a few years back, I did the same thing. It's very emotional seeing that light on and knowing what it represents. In fact, you can feel Walt just about everywhere in DL, which is something that just doesn't come through in WDW.

As far as Walt's window, the fact that his is the only one facing the Castle is intentional. It's a special honor to him and him only.