PDA

View Full Version : What to see at the Studios with kids!

TBY2225
09-18-2007, 09:20 AM
My family will be in WDW in 4 days and we plan to visit the Studios for a few hours one day. I have a DD5 and a DS2. We plan on doing Playhouse Disney, Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid. What else would you recommend? We were thinking about the Back Lot Tour, but really don't know anything about it. I think the Movie Ride would scare them. Any other suggestions??

catsmommy555
09-18-2007, 09:30 AM
There is the Muppets 3D and the Honey I shrunk the Kids play area. The Back lot tour isn't scary but there are not much that amuses a 2 and 5 year old. And If they like toy Story the characters are often at the back of the Muppets 3D by Pizza Planet and Arcade.

KylesMom
09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I would agree that the Backlot Tour may not amuse a 2 & 5 year old so much. Definitely hit Muppets 3-D, though!

Don't know if DD is into Power Rangers, but they come out a few times a day to sign autographs and pose for pictures near the LMA Extreme Stunt Show area. Also, many characters can be found near the Sorcerers' Hat for some great photo opportunities. :mickey:

ncscgirl2005
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
IMHO, I don't think the Stunt show would be a good idea for them to see. I think it may be a little too loud for them especially when they bring out the fake guns. They are a litle too loud and they may actually seem real to a young child.

madenny
09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
The Magic of Disney Animation would be a great place to go. There is a short presentation starring MUshu and then you are released into an interractive area. I love Indiana Jones, but don't sit too close due to heat from fire and gun noises (this may be too much for the two year old, but my 5 yr. old loved it). My 8 yr old was scared of Movie Ride. You can also look for Mater and Lightning. If they like Hish School Musical, there is a pep rally too. Have a blast!

tiaramom
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Fun with a toddler: MGM
Start your day at Hollywood and Vine and eat with JoJo and Playhouse friends. It is adorable, The kids can get out of their seats and play and dance with the bunch of characters. Very interactive. There is crayons and coloring sheets at the table. A small buffet - low enough for kids-and YES, an adult buffet. The food is average to good. Nothing spectacular in entrees- hey its for kids, and its breakfast.
Its bright and definitley child friendly in all ways. Great upbeat music from the disney channel. Then head on over to Little Mermaid- This is beautiful. Next Playhouse disney on stage. Interactive and fun. Get photos and meet characters in the center near the hat.

I would avaoid:
The great Movie ride w/ a 2 year old
My child hated it! cried.
My child didnt love muppets so much-
it was loud! Up to you.
It really is a half a day- a few hr. park w/ a toddler.- (as far as rides).
Its worth going to though!
Oh and dont forget HS Musical
That is fuN!

goofynmd
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
My almost 2yr old DS loved Studios. I agree with going to Hollywood & Vine. DS loves Little Einsteins and it was neat for the kids to get out of their seats and dance with the characters.
His favorite part of this park was getting his picture taken with all of the characters. We got to see Mike and Sully, Lightening and Mater, Buzz and Woody, Quincy and June, etc. The lines weren't very long (we were there in March). He also liked the afternoon parade. Lots of movie characters in neat cars.
I didn't think the stunt show was too loud, but we were sitting higher up. If your son likes cars, then he would probably enjoy this.
Worthwhile attractions for this age group would include Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, and Muppets.

Belle619
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree that the Movie Ride would be too scary for a small child - honestly, I'm 27 and the alien portion of the ride scares me!

Muppets 3D would be a hit with your 5 year old, and even it the 2 year old didn't keep the glasses on, it is still very amusing.

wire0monkey
09-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I just got back from a trip with my DS1 who is 4 years and 11 months and my DS2 who is 2 years and 6 months.

At the studios, they love Playhouse Disney Live! They also liked the Indiana Jones show a lot. The character area in the Magic of Disney animation was a big hit. They liked seeing the characters from "Cars." They liked playing the Muppets fountain. (A CM said they could put their feet in.) They liked playing on the speeder outside "Star Tours." They liked the Backlot Tour.

The Great Movie Ride was too scary for DS1. They are both too short for Tower of Terror or the Rock-n-Roll coaster.

They both liked "Fantasmic" a lot.

DS1 was enchanted by the streets of New York set because he said "It's just like Sesame Street."

Have fun.

Gottaluvgoof
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
We just got back and I would say the parade would be a must. It is very cute and the kids love it. Your other choices are good also.

milhouse
09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
The kids will love the parade. Also don't miss the High School Musical float. My young ones loved that as well.

Mickey'sGirl
09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
My boys love MGM. I will focus on DS3's favourites --

He LOVES the Walt Disney:One Man's Dream exhibit and movie. We honestly see it at least twice on every trip.

He LOVES the Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground -- and hates to leave it after playing there.

He loves the Magic of Animation exhibit and movie with Mushu -- the cut out sets at the end have provided us with many terrific photos!

He LOVES the Muppets show and the Great Movie Ride -- and because he's tall enough, he also LOVES Tower of Terror and Star Tours.

His absolute favourite thing is seeing Sorcerer Mickey along Mickey Avenue (He is dressing as SM for Hallowe'en -- and I wont even get into the t-shirt issue).

And -- against popular opinion -- we ALWAYS eat at Sci-Fi. The kids love to watch the movies and the servers have always been terrific about getting something off the menu if it is required.

I am sure your girls will love the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show. Have a great trip!!

We really really enjoy MGM

MizMissy
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
You might also try to catch The Imagination Movers show. My five year old loves them (not sure about the 2 year old), it's a fun show.:party:
See Intercot link on Magical Beginnings
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/magicalbeginnings/default.asp

krorx
09-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Definitely the muppets 3D attraction and the Honey I shrunk the kids playground. Both my kids loved those when we went the first time.:D

Disney Doll
09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
You've got some good ones on your list already. I would add the Muppet's 3-D Movie and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground. Just beware- last time we had tears when we finally drug our kids off that playground. They would have stayed all day. Also, they can get wet on that playground so you might plan for that and bring some sandals for them to wear.

LostBoys
09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Photo ops with Buzz, Woody and Jessie (and the rare Bullseye)

More photo ops with Mike & Sully

The Honey I Shrunk playground

Muppets 3-d

Christmas store

my DS at 4 wanted to ride TOT, he waited until 5

Street magic show

Pizza Planet (food's ok but the idea of eating there and taking silly pictures and playing games)

Pull the rope by Indiana Jones

Dine at Prime Time

Villains shop

Stars and Motor Cars Parade

Check out the Fantasia Brooms by the brown derby

Lots of great character meeting ops, especially right after opening around Mickey's hat
One of the best ever was Tweedledum and Tweedledee getting into a slap fight when DS fell as they blamed each other for his tripping

Depending on the child Fantasmic

Edenza
09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
We did MGM the day we arrived and we got in almost everything we wanted to see. Our daughter is and our son is 21 months.

We missed B&tB so I'd recommend getting showtimes for that early. We saw The Little Mermaid show and the kids loved it. Don't miss it.

They also liked the Muppet thing (so did we) and when you come out of there, you can do a Buzz/Woody meet & greet. We ate at Pizza Planet more for the theme than for the food. They liked that too.

We also did the animation bit and the kids liked the "coloring break" back where you could try your hand at learning to draw a Mickey.

My daughter is a big Star Wars fan and loved that ride. My husband took our son on the non-moving version.

Other than that, the MGM shops were a hit since they had so many characters, hats, candy, etc.

If you have a full day to spend, I would take the boat over to Epcot (you may have to get off at the Boardwalk or Yacht Club to switch boats) and spend the rest of your day there.

crltkcagle
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
we were there last week and the incredibles and ratouille are at the end of the drawing thing. the show is real short and cute featuring mushu. mgm isn't so much rides as it is more shows. it's a great place to meet characters though. my boys are 6,4, and 2 and were not scared of the great movie ride but they also went on everything they could the entire trip. the little mermaid and muppets were a hit too. have fun!

MrPeetrie
09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
IMHO, I don't think the Stunt show would be a good idea for them to see. I think it may be a little too loud for them especially when they bring out the fake guns.

We brought our daughter when she was 2 and it was too loud for her. We plan on bringing ear plugs for her this year. (She'll be 4 1/2.) We'll see how that works.