PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Dangerous

battle beast
09-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Did Sounds Dangerous at MGm close? I read that the ABC theater is under refurb, and isnt that where this attraction is?:confused:

RAIDER
09-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Put it this way ..i hope its closed for good .This attraction was awful and lazily thought out :ack::ack:

JT Mac
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Nope, SD is still alive and kicking.

offero
09-18-2007, 07:48 AM
While it was once at least mildly entertaining, it is time for Travis to put this old yeller down.

I was there last year and the headsets were disgusting and a handful were broken.

Figment!
09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
... isnt that where this attraction is?:confused:Nope.

Sounds Dangerous is in the ABC Sound Studios.

Jeff T
09-18-2007, 08:49 AM
The last post is correct - Sounds Dangerous is in a different theater than the ABC Theater.

In July we took the time to take in the Sounds Dangerous attraction. I could not believe how terrible it was. This has to be the worst attraction ever at Disney World.

I too would like to see both theaters updated with new attractions. Something - anything is better that what is there today.

big blue and hairy
09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Nope, but I hope it's next. Went to it once, I'll never get that 15 minutes back. What a waste of space and time.

:sulley:

Darbylew
09-18-2007, 08:57 AM
We have been a few times but each time we
wonder why we wasted our time. I hope they
will someday replace it. :mickey:

mousetrapper
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
We've never taken the time to go to this, and after reading these reviews, I don't think we ever will...

Time is too precious at WDW to waste time with a sub-par attraction.

Any rumors of a replacement attraction any time soon?

medic9016
09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
We've never taken the time to go to this, and after reading these reviews, I don't think we ever will...

Good call. What a waste time. We went once while it was pouring down rain. I think I would have rather stayed out in the rain.

gtpooh
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree. What a terrible attraction. I wanted to leave when we tried it, but it was so dark you couldn't really get out of there....

handmaidenofprincesses
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Everyone is right... I hated SD! Don't get me wrong, I like Drew Carey, but this attraction was aawwffuull!! Hope it gets replaced soon :)

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
It's still open and putting people to sleep. I saw it for the first (and last) time a week ago yesterday (9/10). Ughh!!! What a waste! I can't believe a show that boring and poorly thought out is still running at Disney after HOW many years? It never should have run more than one. Okay, maybe two just for those Drew Carey fans. If anything, it's a good spot to catch a nap, but don't go in there expecting to be entertained. (Shaking my head in disbelief). :shake:

Figgyluv03
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Its' one of those, "I'll do it once to see what's like, but never again" type of things. We did it on our senior trip and when I was down there for my CP, I always seemed to skip it.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm a huge Drew Carey fan so I always go to this attraction. My husband on the hand always wants to skip it. It is a good place to go to get out of the heat and cool down for a little bit (or as someone else said take a nap -DH agrees).

There isn't much to the attraction. All but maybe on minute of it is in the dark. It is all about sound. He plays an undercover agent for a tv show who's camera goes out during a sting operation and all they can do is hear what is going on. You have to imagine what it is you hear.

Rayadragon
09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Ugh... last year my mom insisted we go on this ride because she liked Drew Carey. She insisted on ignoring my good Intercot-inspired advice to avoid this ride at all costs. I went with her to keep her company. After the show as we left, she apologized profusely for ignoring my advice.

What a waste of time. I think it could be an interesting concept, but it's just not executed very well.

frakers
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
See, now I like the show. It's not supposed to be an award winner. It is about the sound within the show, hence the name "Sounds Dangerous".
I know, everyone else hates it but I find it incredibly relaxing and will be in there every trip we take that they decide to let it hang around.

GrumpyFan
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Ugh... last year my mom insisted we go on this ride because she liked Drew Carey. She insisted on ignoring my good Intercot-inspired advice to avoid this ride at all costs. I went with her to keep her company. After the show as we left, she apologized profusely for ignoring my advice.

What a waste of time. I think it could be an interesting concept, but it's just not executed very well.

Funny! When we went on it last week, I had a couple of my kids in tow and we were waiting for my wife to get to the park. Since there was no line and we'd never done it, I thought, Why not? I too apologized to the kids numerous times that day for taking them in there.

And I agree, as a part-time sound engineer, it is an interesting concept that could be a great show. I would love to see them explore the art of Foley (Sound Effects in movies). Maybe a lights on/off kind of show where someone is making different sounds, then you have to guess what they were, or what they were made with.

the real Alice
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I agree it is horrible, but I loved the show that was there before it. I can't remember the name, but the film stared Chevy Chase and Martin Short. They ran it once without sound and then had the audience create the sound effects and played it back. It wasn't an A+ attraction either, but WAY better than what they have now.

Anyone else remember it?

Rayadragon
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
I vagely remember something like this, but not well. I remember at one point there was a walking tour (part of the backlot tour in it's original form???) detailing how they shot a segment of "Honey I shrunk the kids!" As part of that segment, I remember them pulling audience members and having them add some sound effects. I think Universal Studios may have something similar as well.

I've got no problem with the fact that the show is suppost to be just about the sounds. The problem is that not all the headphones work correctly, so if the left is out and the sound is suppost to be comming from the left... doesn't quite work. Also, I personally don't care for the storyline of the segment. I feel like there should be some better story with different sound effects they could be utilizing. I don't have any better ideas off the top of my head though :blush:

mcjaco
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I would love to see them explore the art of Foley (Sound Effects in movies). Maybe a lights on/off kind of show where someone is making different sounds, then you have to guess what they were, or what they were made with.

A show just like that was there before Sounds Dangerous. It wasn't too exciting either.

As someone that's hard of hearing, I like Sounds Dangerous. It makes you really use your imagination and ears. You're not force fed visual stimulation, like most everything else around. It's not on my top ten "to do's" but if I need a break from the heat, or the random Florida rain storm, I'll go in and check it out.

SBETigg
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
And I agree, as a part-time sound engineer, it is an interesting concept that could be a great show. I would love to see them explore the art of Foley (Sound Effects in movies). Maybe a lights on/off kind of show where someone is making different sounds, then you have to guess what they were, or what they were made with.

That's a lot like the show that used to be there, which was so much better! Monster Sound Show with Martin Short and was it Chevy Chase? It was actually a fun show with audience participation. I have no idea why they changed it for the snoozefest there now that really doesn't demonstrate the sound process well at all.

jetsdc
09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I would love to see them explore the art of Foley (Sound Effects in movies).

Ironically, your idea is what they actually had as this attraction when MGM opened. It was an interactive attraction where they showed a brief movie (with Martin Short, I think?), which had lots of sound effects. Then, they showed it again and audience members had to use the Foley tools to recreate the sounds while the movie played silently. Finally, they showed it a 3rd time with the audience members' efforts in lieu of the original sound effects. As you can imagine, it was quite funny -- you'd see the lightning strike on screen, and then a few seconds would pass before you heard the noise b/c the audience members was late... stuff like that.

I loved this old version, and have no idea why they got rid of it, given how much funnier and more interactive it was. I guess someone at Disney thought they should take advantage of the Drew Carey relationship once Disney bought ABC, but I vote for brining back the old sound show.

tkerbow
09-19-2007, 11:24 AM
"In the river of time", this attraction has already been replaced. Anyone get this reference? It's from Drew Carey. I wish the river would flood so it could move faster.:sail:

Polynesian Dweller
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM
That's a lot like the show that used to be there, which was so much better! Monster Sound Show with Martin Short and was it Chevy Chase? It was actually a fun show with audience participation. I have no idea why they changed it for the snoozefest there now that really doesn't demonstrate the sound process well at all.
Completely agree with that. The Monster Sound Show with audience participation was a lot of fun and gave a decent demonstration on how sounds are create (and how hard it can be). Really enjoyed it, but Sounds Dangerous is about as exciting as the sound effects in Journey Into Your Imagination. Wonder if they are the same imagineering crew.

By the way, both Chevy Chase and Martin Short appeared in the film.

texasteacher
09-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I agree it is horrible, but I loved the show that was there before it. I can't remember the name, but the film stared Chevy Chase and Martin Short. They ran it once without sound and then had the audience create the sound effects and played it back. It wasn't an A+ attraction either, but WAY better than what they have now.

Anyone else remember it?
Wasn't that the Monster Makeup Show?

JohnHMCWYG
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
I loved the Chevy Chase/Martin Short version of the sound show...Not so much the Drew Carey version. Now that Drew is over at CBS, I'd like to see this changed. I'd like to give it a cinematic spin once more, and have it involve titles that have stood the test of time.

Wishful thinking, I know, but isn't that what Disney's all about?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

IloveDisney71
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I agree. What a terrible attraction. I wanted to leave when we tried it, but it was so dark you couldn't really get out of there....

My thoughts exactly!!!

DisneyKim22
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I thought the attraction was "okay" the one time I saw it, but I have an enormous problem with putting on the same pair of headsets that hundreds, or thousands, of people before me had on their heads. I mean - I KNOW they don't clean them or change the ear pads after each showing. :ack:

Natazu
09-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm against all this negativity directed towards SD. Comfortable chairs, great A/C, and you can put your Ipod earbuds under the SD headphones. I've had some of the best naps of my life in that theatre. We go all the time. The only hard part is leaving.