PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel like you have truly been around the world?

McGoofy
09-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I love the World Showcase at EPCOT, so I tend to spend a lot of time there when we go to WDW. Is it possible to go too much? (Nah!) I was laughing at myself today because I was watching the Travel Channel and Samantha Brown was visiting Germany. She was eating a pretzel and drinking beer. I my mind, I was thinking, "Wow. That looks like Germany in the World Showcase. I wish I were there." I do this all the time. I feel like I have traveled around the world because I have been to Epcot so much. Does anybody else feel like their passport should have many more stamps in it? Do you find yourself saying to a friend, "Yeah...when I was at EPCOT..." and the friend is actually talking about a real international trip that they went on? :mickey:

Crow
09-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes. its cheaper & the CMs are from the countries. so is the :beer::marg: (well mostly) and the food types.
i would love to go to Japan & China, thats why i spend most time there at Epcot....maybe someday.

EPCOT Princess Horizons
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
I love the World Showcase and have spent many hours there! My favorite country is Norway because I love Maelstrom and I love the Norway film after the ride, Some people have said to skip the film but to me its my favorite part, the way it shows the people of Norway and their beautiful country is very inspiring to me!!! I cant wait to go home to EPCOT in 12 days!!!:mickey:

limegreenmonorail
09-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh, I love Samantha Brown! :thumbsup:

Yes, in my Disney-fied mind, the World Showcase and the actual world are one and the same. If someone says they've visited Italy, I get this smug feeling, thinking, "Oh, I've been there a million times."

I can't help but give recommendations, either. One of my friends told me they were planning a trip to Canada the other day, and I automatically told them to try to get reservations at Le Cellier. Now they're thinking about going to Disney instead of Canada. :mickey:

BigRedDad
09-18-2007, 02:28 AM
World Showcase and visiting the actual country is no comparison. However, if it is a choice of never experiencing the country or getting what you can from WS, then WS is a good alternative. Many countries were designed from architects from the respective countries. I believe Morocco had the King's personal architect on site designing the country.

Sweezy
09-18-2007, 03:21 AM
ive always loved Epcot and the World Showcase, but I find the countries to be even better after having visited the actual countries. Japan especially is one of my favorites to go to considering Japan was my first favorite foreign country ive visited. Japan in reality certainly isnt all about that pagoda type architecture, in general, but what really makes me feel sentimental for the real thing are the people...this is one of the true Disney masterpieces as far as casting is concerned. The cast members in Japan really make me feel like im back in Japan with those amazingly friendly waitresses/bullet-train girls. Not to mention...theres always been a special favorite candy of mine in Japan that I make sure never to miss...and the World Showcase version is the only place in America where ive been able to find it. :thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
09-18-2007, 06:36 AM
We love EPCOT. My wife shops around the world while I snack around the world.

Nighttime EMH when WS is dark is one of our favorite places and times at WDW.

Whenever I'm in World Showcase I take in all the sights and smells and sounds and it feels just like... a theme park in Central Florida.

On the othere hand, when I stand on pavement where people have stood for hundreds or even thousands of years I think, "Whoa, this sure isn't Disney World."

MsMin
09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
My first thought is do I feel like I've been to this country by visiting the American Pavilion? No....
Do I think they have captured a hint or snapshot- yes. It can bring you back or give you the feel of the culture but it can't replace the experience.
I do love it b/c I can feel like I'm there again.
I do agree that the best part of WS is the experience with the CM's from their respective countries.

Belle619
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes - my sister and I definitely feel that way to some extent. We'll be talking to people and mention this really great wine we had in Italy...but we really mean the WS version of Italy!

I think it can be like traveling to another country when you take the time to talk to the CM's. That is what we do - we ask them about what region of the country they are from, etc. I think it can be a fantastic learning experience about different people and cultures if you can't make it to the actual country.

Septbride2002
09-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I think the World Showcase is a good preview. :) If anything meeting the people and getting a snapshot of the culture makes me want to visit the actual country.

~Amanda

BRJARE3
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Epcot is nice, but it is not another country. Nothing compares with going to Germany and experiencing their lifestyle 24 hours a day. I have been to quite a few European countries and I can honestly say that I never thought Epcot came close to imitating them. I know I have not left the USA when I am in Epcot. I would take a country any day over Epcot.

luvdiznee
09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I love Morocco! It is so real to me. Not that I have actually been to Morocco but having been to Epcot's Morocco is good enough for now. :mickey:

CleveRocks
09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I love the World Showcase at EPCOT, so I tend to spend a lot of time there when we go to WDW. Is it possible to go too much? (Nah!) I was laughing at myself today because I was watching the Travel Channel and Samantha Brown was visiting Germany. She was eating a pretzel and drinking beer. I my mind, I was thinking, "Wow. That looks like Germany in the World Showcase. I wish I were there." I do this all the time. I feel like I have traveled around the world because I have been to Epcot so much. Does anybody else feel like their passport should have many more stamps in it? Do you find yourself saying to a friend, "Yeah...when I was at EPCOT..." and the friend is actually talking about a real international trip that they went on? :mickey:
When I read your post the first time, I thought it was one of those joke posts in which people make outlandish statements as extended jokes. I now realize this is not the case. I'm honestly not trying to be critical, it's just how it struck me.

I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like. I say this in a supportive way, not a critical way.

NJGIRL
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
While I love the World Showcase and EPCOT is my favorite park there is no comparision to the real thing. The food in EPCOT is Americanized and you only have one replica building representing each country. We only go to Disney everyother year so in our off years we can experience different places in the world. There are so many really fun and wonderful places to go in the world and we want to experience as many things as we possible can.

luvdiznee
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
While I love the World Showcase and EPCOT is my favorite park there is no comparision to the real thing. The food in EPCOT is Americanized and you only have one replica building representing each country.

:DThank goodness for that, I don't think I could eat Turtle. Although never say never. I guess it is good to some people. Or did I completely overlook it on the menu.

TikiGoddess
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I love World Showcase. It's a great Disney portrait of the countries, and to me each of them has their own distinct feel. But to me they feel more like movie sets than actual bits of foreign countries.

I remember visiting Paris (the real one) back in my mid 20's. Went to Saint-Chapelle and was enchanted with the history and true 'magic' of the place. Then the next day I went to Disneyland Paris and found myself a bit disillusioned. There was a stark contrast between Paris and its real world history and DLP's plaster and paint structures. It really opened my eyes to how I love Disney. Before visiting DLP I thought of Disney as the end all and be all of vacation spots. Afterwards I could see that Disney parks are theme parks -- entertainment venues. I now love Disney for its escapist possibilities -- being able to pretend you're in a foreign country or to just be a kid again, and the crazy amount of detail that Imagineering has put into the parks -- but they're not Paris.

TikiG

Bobby T
09-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Seeing this thread made me remember an unforgettable moment in the Norway pavilion. My bro-in-law and I were drinking around the world, when we thought it would be fun to buy an item in the Norway gift shot with Kroner. Kroner is Norwegian currency and he had one in his wallet from a recent vacation.

Anyway...morale of the story is...if you don't want to look silly in front of a line of customers, as the cashier begins to process the transaction in Norwegian, don't try to use native currency when you're 'buttered' :beer: and haven't mastered the language. :blush:

McGoofy
09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
When I read your post the first time, I thought it was one of those joke posts in which people make outlandish statements as extended jokes. I now realize this is not the case. I'm honestly not trying to be critical, it's just how it struck me.

I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like. I say this in a supportive way, not a critical way.

I understand that you said that you were trying not to be critical, and I honestly don’t think you were trying to be rude. However, I feel that a few of the statements that you made to me were unfair. First of all, do you honestly think that I am naïve enough to think that EPCOT is exactly the same as going to the real country? I know that it isn’t, but I think that it is a fantastic sample of the countries that are represented. No, my post was not a “joke post” as you call it, but it also wasn’t stated to mean that going to EPCOT would void the need of traveling internationally. As evidenced by the little Mickey smile at the end of my post, I thought it was just a cute tongue-in-cheek way to talk about how when I see tv shows, videos, etc. about other countries, there are often things that remind me of EPCOT’s world showcase. Perhaps I worded things incorrectly and people are reading it incorrectly. If that is the case, I apologize. I sincerely intended this post to just be a fun way to compare the World Showcase to the real thing. Secondly, I also think that your statement “I can see from your signature that you've been to WDW many many times. You might also have a great time spending some of that time and money seeing the real places rather than the Disney impressions of what those places are like.” was unfair because what do you really know about me regarding my money and my travels? If you must know, until 2003 our family received MANY complimentary trips because we knew somebody who worked for Disney. I’m sorry, but if you can get a free trip to Disney versus spending thousands taking a family overseas, I believe that you would choose the free trip as well. We do not pay for airfare because we drive to Disney. That also would not be the case traveling internationally. However, what you still don’t know is that I have traveled internationally. I really have been to more places than Disney. I know that Disney is not the real thing, but when you don’t have the thousands of dollars to travel internationally, it is a great place to go to get a feel for another country. That’s really all that I meant in my post. So thanks for your support. Now can we get back to having fun?

TBY2225
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
This was a great question! It is so funny because I was just talking to some people at work who were asking where I was going on vacation. I told them WDW in FL, Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, Japan, Morocco, France, UK and Canada! WHy not go to the happiest place on earth, and get a small taste of the rest of the world! I know that I will probably never get to any of those countries for real, so it is nice to have a small taste and get to enjoy all the rest of WDW as well! I think it is part of the magic that really makes you think for a brief moment that you are really in those places!

4ubie1
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
I have another story like that. I was at a wedding reception the other day and they were playing this slide show of the happy couple. There were pics from when they were young, growing up, and when they became a couple. There was one "couples" pic in the show that I immediately recognized as EPCOT. They were standing outside Canada. Of course, people asked how i knew :blush:...well when you spend as much time as we do there, you get to know the terrain well. :D

Made me want to go back even more!!:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
In this case, I did not at all get the impresion that OP thought World Showcase was a substitute for international travel.
Whenever I wander around shops in WS I keep seeing jarring reminders that I'm at a theme park. Disney calls those jarring reminders 'guests'. The CMs look French, the guests wear mouse ears and plastic shoes.

I think sometimes in our enthusiasm for how much we like all of the details at Walt Disney World we go a bit overboard.
Some time ago there was a thread where a poster described a co-worker sharing photos from his recent trip to Africa, "He shouldn't have gone to all that trouble and expense. The AK is more authentic." More authentic... than Africa?

When I meet someone who thinks Disney World is the Dumbo ride I say, "you have no idea what's in those 42 square miles." When I meet someone who thinks Disney World is the only place in the world worth visiting I think something else.

I experience this reverse of all this also. Some new houses try to look like castles with turrets and stained glass and thick wooden doors. I look at them and think, "I'm back at Disney World!"

2Epcot
09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
I think the World Showcase is a good preview. :) If anything meeting the people and getting a snapshot of the culture makes me want to visit the actual country. ~Amanda

I would agree. I love going to the different countries in Epcot to see samples of the different cultures and people. We always have a great time talking to the cast members who are here working from their home country. I leave the countries I've never been to, looking forward to visiting sometime.

ive always loved Epcot and the World Showcase, but I find the countries to be even better after having visited the actual countries. Japan especially is one of my favorites to go to considering Japan was my first favorite foreign country ive visited.

That was my feeling after going to the China pavillion for the first time after visiting the country of China. I had been to Epcot several times, but China was even more enjoyable after having just been there the year before.

Kairi_7378
09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree that Epcot is a nice preview to visiting another country. One of these years DH and I will make it to London, Paris, or Rome. Until then I will nosh on some goodies at the WS.
At my aunt's funeral I was looking at some of her honeymoon pictures. No one could figure out where she and my uncle had gone until DH said, "That's one of the buildings from Oh Canada!" Since we had never been to Quebec (just Niagara Falls), we would not have known that if we hadn't been to Epcot.

Kairi_7378
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Seeing this thread made me remember an unforgettable moment in the Norway pavilion. My bro-in-law and I were drinking around the world, when we thought it would be fun to buy an item in the Norway gift shot with Kroner. Kroner is Norwegian currency and he had one in his wallet from a recent vacation.

Anyway...morale of the story is...if you don't want to look silly in front of a line of customers, as the cashier begins to process the transaction in Norwegian, don't try to use native currency when you're 'buttered' :beer: and haven't mastered the language. :blush:

Too funny! :funny:

iheartdisney
09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
My daughter was ten and in her first year of "homeschool." We were working on geography and she kept insisting that you could walk to France from Great Britain. My husband answered, "Not unless you're Jesus." And I described the English Channel, showed her on our globe but she kept insisting. Smugly, we patted ourselves on the back for taking her out of organized school and homeschooling her. Then she insisted that she had been there, with us, on vacation and we all stood on the bridge between France and Great Britain to watch fireworks. Oops. :blush: She had been to World Showcase so many times she thought she had been to Europe and back.

DNS
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I can't say that I feel like I've really been around the world, but I do love World Showcase and we spend a lot of time there also. I love the shopping and the entertainment. So much fun.

BrownEyedGrrl
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I do! :D When we're watching a travel channel show about any country featured in WS, DH and I will smugly (and teasingly) say to each other "we've been there".
And it cracks me up to hear my two boys ask us, "someday can we go back to China or take a boat ride in Mexico again?" We're such world travelers. ;)

Jared
09-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I agree that World Showcase is a solid representation but not completely satisfying. Honestly, my family generally skips World Showcase, only moseying to that side of Epcot to watch the fireworks.

Many people rave about the food, but we've found the restaurants in World Showcase mediocre at best and awful at worst.

Though it's fun talking to Cast Members from the various countries, World Showcase certainly cannot duplicate an international trip.