to the bridge, So i stopped to take a picture
of another boat moving towards me, This was
a mistake. I managed to get only about 300
more yards, And Disney security was all
over me asking why i was walking fast and
taking pictures of transportation. After
about 10 mins. i convinced them i was not
with the Al-Qaeda, I was set free. I did do
the walk without interruption on saturday.
This time from the back gate of EPCOT to
MGM time was 19:43 ..

ibrowse17
09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
The long ears of the law got you:thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I never would have thought of that happening.

Polynesian Dweller
09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
That really surprises me on the one hand. On the other, I guess its comforting that Disney security is looking out for trouble. But I still can't quite understand what they saw as suspicious. Did they give you any idea why your walking fast was a problem?:confused:

Jenemmy
09-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow -- what a shock! I guess there is far more to Disney security than bag checks and video! I'm sorry it happened to you, but all the same it is really good to know they are so dilligent!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
It could also be that it was around the time of the 911 anniversary.

Gottaluvgoof
09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
That's very interesting. Good to know they are watching, I guess. You weren't by chance carrying any mouse traps, were ya? I was in the bag check at Animal Kingdom and a man asked the security CM, "What are you looking for in my bag?" The CM, very seriously looked at the man and said, "Mouse Traps!" It was soooooo funny. So, I'm just wondering if you were carrying a mouse trap. :D

Darbylew
09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry that happened to you. We always walk
fast if we see the boat coming so we can catch
it before it is gone. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2007! :D

Zippy_D_DooDah
09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I was there last week as well and noticed a definite change in security when compared to our trips in December and February. We went to Epcot on the morning of 9/11 and, bag or no bag, everyone had to go through the bag check area which was set up just at the bottom of the monorail ramp. There was even a dog on site which I assume was a bomb sniffing dog. When we left the park later in the day, I noticed they had removed the temporary barricades used to drive the crowd of people to the bag check. One other day during our trip, they closed off the no bag walk through at MK. I am wondering if Disney may have received specific threats during the week. The beefed up security didn't bother me one bit. I'd rather be safe. I'm surprised they didn't nab me because I was taking pictures of everything. I even got a few shots (from the monorail) of the progress at the Contemporary where the rumored next DVC is being built.

HOLITRIN
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Gee, I always see people walking fast, running AND taking pictures at the same time!!

Good to know that security is taken seriously :)

Goes4FastPass
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Some security guy was having a boring day.

I'm sure when he called this in it was like.

"He's walking fast. Over"
"Roger."
"He's taking pictures of boats."
"Check."
"What do we do, boss?"
"You're doing a fine job, Bill. Maybe try less caffeine."

anewvision
09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow -- what a shock! I guess there is far more to Disney security than bag checks and video! I'm sorry it happened to you, but all the same it is really good to know they are so dilligent!

I have had respect for Disney security for
some time now. About 5 years ago an adult
pushed a kid (around 12 or 13). For saying
something to his wife. There were 3 security
people on this guy within 15 seconds. All plain
clothed officers.

DisneyDudet
09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I have had respect for Disney security for
some time now. About 5 years ago an adult
pushed a kid (around 12 or 13). For saying
something to his wife. There were 3 security
people on this guy within 15 seconds. All plain
clothed officers.

Now wouldn't that be a dream job? To walk around in the parks and get paid for it?

SgtTigger
09-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Ok Ill give my view from a Law Enforcement Standpoint....

Were you looking at you watch a lot to see how the time was doing?

Were you watching the boat a lot??

You said you were taking pictures of the boats. Was it the boat you were timing yourself against?

I could understand that............

The biggest thing I think was it was around 9-11 and everyone was a little more on top of things that the rest of the year....... I know we watch our refineries a lot more around that time of year.....

You would be suprised how many people pull over in front of a refinery and take pictures of them......... We get tons of calls about that....

:cop: :tigger:

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Here's another law enforcement viewpoint: The United States did not stop being the United States on September 11th.

Last year I was accosted by security guards while taking photographs near a skyscraper in the city I live in. "Do you know who owns this building?" One guard asked? "I know who owns this sidewalk", I replied. "Didn't you hear about 9-1-1?", "Yes, I did." "If you don't leave we're going to call for backup" "If you continue to threaten me, I'm going to call the police."

Walt Disney World is private property so the rules are different but too many over zealous law enforcement employees have used September 11 as an excuse to be too aggressive and too many Americans are too willing to stand for it because they're afraid.

DNS
09-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok Ill give my view from a Law Enforcement Standpoint....

Were you looking at you watch a lot to see how the time was doing?

Were you watching the boat a lot??

You said you were taking pictures of the boats. Was it the boat you were timing yourself against?

I could understand that............

The biggest thing I think was it was around 9-11 and everyone was a little more on top of things that the rest of the year....... I know we watch our refineries a lot more around that time of year.....

You would be suprised how many people pull over in front of a refinery and take pictures of them......... We get tons of calls about that....

:cop: :tigger:

That makes a lot of sense. Law officers and security people have so much to deal with. I think it's important to see both sides and I want to be protected. Freedoms are important to Americans, but so is feeling safe. I don't give any of this a second thought when going anywhere, but when something like this comes up I'm reminded why I don't give it a second thought. Because we have people who are out there doing their best to protect us.

crltkcagle
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
We were there at the same time and also stayed in movies ASM.

Gator
09-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Walt Disney World is private property so the rules are different but too many over zealous law enforcement employees have used September 11 as an excuse to be too aggressive and too many Americans are too willing to stand for it because they're afraid.

Unfortunately, there's way too many crazy and insane folks for us to be any less zealous in our attempts to keep visitors safe. I'm not afraid for myself, but I am concerned for my family. And I am perfectly happy to let security forces to ask a few more questions than normal to maintain that safety. It's not the same world it was 25 years ago. We have to adjust accordingly. Keeping Disney World safe is as important as keeping it happy and clean.

LibertyTreeGal
09-20-2007, 08:16 AM
It could also be that it was around the time of the 911 anniversary.

I was thinking the exact same thing -- plus we have to remember that there was a carjacking and a pipe bomb at DTD not too long ago.

I'm actually really grateful that security is monitoring such things. Funny, as soon as you said what you were doing and started taking pics of the transportation, I wasn't shocked. Most people do not take pics of the transportation, after all :)

MY dh is the general manager of a food processing facility and security is tight there too -- they don't want a terrorist contaminating the food supply! Hydroelectric plants, dams, power plants, airports (the most obvious) have all been on alert since 9-11 and those are just the ones I am aware of.

NJDad
09-20-2007, 08:46 AM
This is sad to me. Someone snaps a photo at one of the world's most famous tourist attractions and it's a 'mistake' and many of us applaud the security workers actions.

If walking fast and taking pictures at Disney are the signs of being an evildoer I'm in big trouble.

LibertyTreeGal
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
This is sad to me. Someone snaps a photo at one of the world's most famous tourist attractions and it's a 'mistake' and many of us applaud the security workers actions.

If walking fast and taking pictures at Disney are the signs of being an evildoer I'm in big trouble.

1. Maybe I missed something, but no one called it a "mistake."
2. No one called him an "evildoer" either.
3. I don't think there is anything wrong with being understanding towards the security workers and the job they have to do the day after the 9-11 anniversary when there were active terror threats from OBL.

I think what has happened here is that we are trying to present a reasonable answer to all of this. Nowhere was the OP criticized, villified or reprimanded by any of us, so I'm not sure what the point of this is.

Iluvpooh
09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't bother me in the least. I would take a better safe than sorry approach. I only hope no one bothers me while I'm running after the bus to my resort. (I always manage to miss them and have to run for it. With a HUGE backpack over my shoulder!)

Goes4FastPass
09-20-2007, 11:24 AM

If walking fast and taking pictures at Disney are the signs of being an evildoer I'm in big trouble.You are entirely correct, it is sad. And it's sad that the bad people hate our freedom and want us to change the way we live. There have been many times in history when a tyrant stepped forward and offered to replace chaos with law and order.

We all understand and accept reasonable security measures in our lives every day. The behavior the OP described should not have met the JDLR (Just Doesn't Look Right) criteria when it was observed.

To this, some of you may say, "Better safe than sorry..." and I ask, how far should we go with that? Close all theme parks? Close all interstate highways? Forbid all adult males to enter public parks?

Does this mean WDW should change the name of the group that sings at the American Adventure - The Voices of Liberty?

DNS
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Let's not get carried away with this. The guard just asked a couple of questions. It seems most of us would be okay with that. No one is talking about banning all males. We just want to be able to go on vacation and feel somewhat safe. This could be flipped completely the other way and say should we ban all guards and law officers so no one interrupts or offends us too, but we're just talking about trying to keep an eye out and asking a few questions if/when something looks slightly different. This is a country of freedoms, but also of law and order. Without that, we would not have freedom, we would have chaos.

carribeanpirate5
09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
You are entirely correct, it is sad. And it's sad that the bad people hate our freedom and want us to change the way we live. There have been many times in history when a tyrant stepped forward and offered to replace chaos with law and order.

We all understand and accept reasonable security measures in our lives every day. The behavior the OP described should not have met the JDLR (Just Doesn't Look Right) criteria when it was observed.

To this, some of you may say, "Better safe than sorry..." and I ask, how far should we go with that? Close all theme parks? Close all interstate highways? Forbid all adult males to enter public parks?

Does this mean WDW should change the name of the group that sings at the American Adventure - The Voices of Liberty?

So lets say a few months from now something did happen. In the course of an investigation, security tapes identify the person committing the act as a person who was taking pictures of the transportaition as a securtiy guard passes him. The tapes show the security guard taking no action. Would you be upset that security is too lax and the guard should have done something? Would you criticize Disney or whoever? Sad to say, but security is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Lets face it, the world is different and some things are going to have to change. I am glad the security guard did HIS JOB and questioned someone he felt was "not right".

luvdiznee
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Just another sign of the times we are living in. :(

mouseketeer mom
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I agree, its a sign of the times we are living in. But I agree with another poster..better safe than sorry! You must've been so shocked when you were stopped!!!! Were any kids with you?

anewvision
09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I agree, its a sign of the times we are living in. But I agree with another poster..better safe than sorry! You must've been so shocked when you were stopped!!!! Were any kids with you?

I was surprised, At first thinking they thought
i stole something from MGM and was making a
fast track back to my room. And knowone
was with me.