PDA

View Full Version : *RUMOR* DVC at Disneyland

Septbride2002
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
The net is buzzing with a rumor that DVC will announce a new resort at Disneyland tomorrow on the 18th.

~Amanda

Ian
09-17-2007, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. That's been talked about for a long while.

Fortgoofy97
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Great we'll be able to travel to DL and stay at a DVC resort! We are in the middle of planning a trip out that way next year. If it will be new construction maybe we'll put it off for a little while!! We'll be waiting to hear!!!!

lockedoutlogic
09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
It's only a matter of time...and a good DVC addtion

but as far as the "rumors" go on Disney's activities....they are usually wrong 99.97% of the time.

Disney lets the public know when they want them to...and not one second before. If the press "catches wind" of it...it is because the PR people call and tipped them off to get it out and create buzz.
You don't get to be a huge, international company by letting housewives and college kids on the internet circulate what you're doing before you want them to know about it.

sometimes...the man behind the curtain really is the wizard :thumbsup:

DVC Mike
09-17-2007, 01:10 PM
The net is buzzing with a rumor that DVC will announce a new resort at Disneyland tomorrow on the 18th.

The 9/18 date was first floated by Al Lutz on MiceAge last week.

Mushu11756
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm also not surprised if they build or even convert existing hotel space for DVC.. They started selling DVC memberships on the west coast for the east coast a couple of years back to see if they had enough interest from the public to build there.

Ian
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I wonder if points purchased at a home resort in WDW will "spend" the same in DL as points puchased at a home resort in DL?

By that I mean, will it be more like using your points to stay at a non-DVC resort in WDW (like Port Orleans, say) or will it just have a points value like all the other resorts do and the only variation will be the booking window?

Aurora
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I wonder if points purchased at a home resort in WDW will "spend" the same in DL as points puchased at a home resort in DL?

By that I mean, will it be more like using your points to stay at a non-DVC resort in WDW (like Port Orleans, say) or will it just have a points value like all the other resorts do and the only variation will be the booking window?

I would imagine they would set up a Disneyland DVC point system the same as WDW DVC points, since you already can use your DVC points to stay at a DL hotel. We used my parents' points (SSR home resort) to stay at the Disneyland Hotel two years ago and it worked the same as if we had stayed at a WDW non-DVC resort (we used more points per night than even a 1-bedroom at a DVC resort).

Tinkermom
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM

If it is a DVC resort it should have a points system just like the rest of the DVC resorts both inside WDW and outside WDW (Vero, HHI). It would not make any sense to have a different points system for another "DVC" resort. So, we should be able to book just like we would for any of our non-home DVC resorts.

I wonder if this rumor for tomorrow will turn out to be true...

Horizon93
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I agree that it will just be another DVC resort that we can all book at 7 months. After all, I am sure that they will want people whose home resort is GCV or whatever it will be called, to use their points at WDW DVC resorts as well. It would be a very tough sell if those who bought in California had to pay a fee to stay at any other DVC resort.

If this actually happens, my first trip to DLR will definitely be in my future!

lockedoutlogic
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
DVC is not a WDW operated entity...it is attached to "Disney Development Company"...and only seems to be WDW because that is where the properties are.

Vero and Hilton Head are proof of that...they were sold the same, pay similar dues, and are completely interchangeable with the WDW properties.....that was the point of the DVC in the first place...some flexibility had to be built in or it never would have gotten off the ground.

So if they build in California...which is inevitable...it will be simply like booking at Hilton Head or Vero....and the point values have to be set in stone just like those at the other DVC locations (with the very limited flexibility to redistribute total point values at a location)

I would think that the DVC at Disneyland would be a comparitive good deal as far as points go....as I understand it....local market segment is the core of DL's business...as with any other regional park....and the demand for hotel space is not as great as WDW ever has been.

And let's be honest here...East Coasters who have bought into DVC (over 60% of the membership)...are generally glued to the East Coast and won't utilize the DL location as a non-home resort nearly the way they do with the WDW locations....

Did that make any sense? I've gone cross-eyed:dizzy:

Horizon93
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Makes perfect sense. While I know that I would use the DLR resort occasionally, maybe every 4 to 5 years, I will use a WDW one at least once a year. It will be nice to have home at DLR though.

Carol
09-18-2007, 08:53 AM
This topic has been under discussion for a very long time in our Disneyland forums.

You can read the latest one here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115670). Mufasa has stated the announcement will indeed be made today.

Carol
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
I wonder if points purchased at a home resort in WDW will "spend" the same in DL as points purchased at a home resort in DL?

It should be the same if you stay at the Villas added to the Grand Californian. It will only differ if you use points at the other hotels.

While I know that I would use the DLR resort occasionally, maybe every 4 to 5 years, I will use a WDW one at least once a year. It will be nice to have home at DLR though.I'll be just the opposite. Give me Disneyland and the California weather any day!

Tinkermom
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
This topic has been under discussion for a very long time in our Disneyland forums.

You can read the latest one here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115670). Mufasa has stated the announcement will indeed be made today.

Well, now I KNOW I will be checking Intercot when I get home from work today!

I do believe that I will be planning our first ever trip to Disneyland!

Thanks Carol!:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
While the climate might be overall better at Disneyland....

The space and layout in florida is so much better....

I like my Magic Kingdom without the Santa Anita screaming by...thank you:secret:

But trips to Disneyland are more than welcome on DVC points.....the more DVC resorts...the better is is for everyone

I hope that they do go back to building at locations that aren't strapped to a disney park....namely the long dreamed of Disney Ski Resort and a location in Hawaii....

...time will tell.

Septbride2002
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Carol - I have to agree. I am very exicted about the annoucement as it will finally get us on the west coast for a vacation. I've only been for business - but we had such a blast.

Tell ya what - if I didn't already purchased points - this announcement would have motivated me to. It just gives you so much flexibility.

~Amanda

DVC Mike
09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
According to a sales guide, they were notified this morning of the Grand Californian annuncement:

200 new hotel rooms (not DVC)
52 Bedroom DVC units
Details will be sent out October 9
Completion date late 2009