PDA

View Full Version : Guide books

PrincessASquared
09-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I have read where people take guide books with them on their trips. What are the advantages of having one? I'm sure there are different versions of guide books, but which one is the best or most useful? Can they be found at book stores or do they have to be ordered from Disney? Just wondering. Thanks.

RBrooksC
09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
It all depends on what you need. I do enjoy the Passporter due to the vacation planning pages and way to keep a "diary" of one's vacation. But the Unoffical Guide's also provide plenty of useful information.

Many times, it depends on how often one has been to WDW and what information one is trying to get.

GrumpyFan
09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
There are dozens of Disney guidebooks available for puchase at your local bookstore or even here on Intercot, which links to Amazon. However, all of the links here on Intecot point to 2005 books. Most of the books are updated at least once a year, some more.

My personal favorites:

Birnbaum's Walt Disney World - This is the "Official WDW Guidebook" endorsed by Disney, and available at all bookstores and The Disney store.
Passporter Walt Disney World - This one is great for planners, although the pictures and graphics aren't as nice as Birnbaum's.
The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World - This one is HUGE, and has more information in it than you can possibly devour in two weeks. It's almost too big (IMO).So, go to your local bookstore or Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html) and take a look at them to see which you like best.

I usually recommend that people start with Birnbaums' just becuase it's a nice visual book with lots of eye candy for adults and kids. It's not the most informative, but it is a nice starter. This is the only book that has official maps and photos from Disney. The other books all draw/design their own maps.

Passporter has more information and planning tips, and the visuals aren't too bad. It goes into more detail with the different hotels and restaurant ratings, which can be very helpful in planning.

The Unofficial Guide, while offering lots of information and reader feedback, can be overwhelming at times. And, if you're looking for something quick, you may have a hard time finding it. However, it's a good book to read if you're trip is more than 6 months away or you've read all the others and you're looking for more information.

It all depends on what you want or need while you're there. My wife usually carries the Passporter along because its got all of our reservation times and confirmation numbers.

AmberB
09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I found some "Imagineering Field Guides" at Barnes and Nobles that I really enjoyed. It definately gave you a different point of view and makes you appreciate all of the work that goes into planning the theme parks. They don't have the type of information for planning your trip, but they'll help you appreciate it more. I had the books for the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, but I also see one online for the Animal Kingdom.

beksy
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm an obsessive planner so I think I've read most of the main guide books out there! I took notes from the big ones, like Unofficial Guide, in a small notebook to take with me, and then I am using the Passporter to keep my confirmation numbers and flight info, etc. in. Plus it has great pockets that I can stuff copies of the information in. I'll take that on the trip but probably not to the park. I've got little cards (business-card sized) that I wrote the day's ADR's on and will just carry those. For general information I like using both the Passporter and Unofficial Guide. A lot of times they give different information or different view points so I like to compare the two.

IloveDisney71
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
The only book we carry WITH us is the Hidden Mickey Book.
I do have a guidebook, but I take notes on the info. I need to know and just carry the notes. I don't want to carry around a big book.
I really like: The Complete Walt Disney World book. I just bought it recently.

Minniemouse27
09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I've had the Unofficial Guide in the past, but haven't purchased it again.

Each trip, I get a Passporter. I like their "Deluxe" edition since I can remove the pages we don't need and carry just the essential info on vacation. I will only have that day's Passpocket w/ our info w/ us on any given day. If I could only buy one book... it would be my Passporter.

I've also purchased Birnbaum's WDW for Kids (less than impressed) for my dd and just got this week... Guide to the Magic for Kids which is AMAZING!! Dd loves it and I can see it working well for kids up through pre teen.

Along w/ the Guide to the Magic book I ordered The Lost Journals from the same author. It is cute and will be nice to have as we walk around the park. It has little facts, things to look for AND hidden mickeys.

A great background book... but not really all that useful for planning is The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World. It gives great descriptions and back stories, but not a lot of concrete info to plan a trip.

RockChalkKimball
09-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I have read most of the guide books and the only one I have bought more than once is the Passporter. I use it for a couple of trips, then buy an updated one. I do take it with me, but don't haul it around in the parks. Even though I am a fanatical planner, someone always wants to change something once we get there. Having the Passporter on hand makes it easy to look up information at the last minute. It is also fun to peruse on the trip.