PDA

View Full Version : Memories of the First Trip

ddcrna
09-16-2007, 06:10 AM
So, now that we are on our thirty day countdown, I got thinking about the first time we planned a trip. For a number of reasons, we hadn't ever gone when our kids were real young, and the first trip we took was after I retired from active duty with the Air Force. Kids were at that point 17, 15, 13, or close to that anyway. My wife was happy to go, but she told me later that it was more of a "it should be OK" kind of thing. We stayed off site and had a so-so villa when we arrived, then got lost trying to find WDW from Kissimmee and had to stop and ask for directions - turns out we were just going the wrong way on 192 - the Policeman said "turn around and go the other way and don't worry - you'll see the signs." As we made the big turn near MGM studios, the signs at the time were the ones where mickey was peeking up from behind them a little higher with each sign as you approached the ticket plaza for MK (anyone else remember those? They were very cool!!). We took the monorail in, and were starting to get quite excited. Then, as we walked under the railroad bridge, my wife, who had been the least excited of all about the trip, stood there looking down Main St at the castle and began to cry - "I never thought it could be this beautiful", she said. I'm almost sniffling now just thinking about it. Who else has great memories of their first trip to share??:mickey:

Kurtoon
09-16-2007, 07:47 AM
I cry at Main Street too.
Our first time to the world was May 2001 with only one 6year old boy.
WE stayed off site at my MIL's time share condo which was very nice and spacious and right across from DTD
We did not plan anything other than 2 day's at Universal and 4 days at WDW.
We did not visit the AK but played a lot at MK
We had fun at MGM, which I think of as a "show" park, and fell in love with Epcot.
WE just explored the parks.
We did not know to make dining reservations, but just got lucky and had breakfast at Chef Mickey's.
We did not know how much we did not know.
It was on the first visit to WDW that my intuitive wife got a "feeling". She said we are missing one.
WE did not go to WDW in May 2002 because we had a baby girl.
It was that first trip to WDW that told my wife we needed to add to our family and now we are complete.
I have to be careful where we go in case she gets another feeling.
We also decided we should vacation at WDW every year ,which we have, except last year we went to DL.

Great first time memories
Thanks for the thread

much mouse

another tink
09-16-2007, 07:53 AM
My first memory was in 1975. My children were 8 and 5. We were coming across on the ferry to MK and there was Goofy going by on water skies and waving to us.:thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
09-16-2007, 08:31 AM
My first memory of our family's first trip together in 2002 was of the excitement when we pulled up and got our first look at the AKL. I think our mouths hung open the entire time we were in the lobby we just could not believe how beautiful it was. Then our first view of the animals from our balcony. The entire feeling of being there was unlike anything we had ever experienced. We knew before that first trip was over that we just had to go back the next year. From my DD's first looks at the castle to my yougest DD getting a giant hug from Chip and Dale and saying "look Mommy I'm in a Chip and Dale sandwich"
As much as we love going back every year and we still feel that Disney magic you just can never beat that first time trip experience.

#1donaldfan
09-16-2007, 08:38 AM
My first memory was way, way back when I was not even a teenager yet.....I remember 20,000 leauges under the sea and POC....I remember loosing my pirate flag on the HM.....it tore me up....for years I didn't go back for various reasons. When I was in the Phillippines serving in the Air Force, my mom mailed me a flag from POC......that was pretty cool. I did not go back till '04 when our kids were old enough, starting at age 5....we've been there every year since and my best memories are of those of the kids eyes and how they light up after crossing into main street. I don't know how Disney does it, but they seem to be able to bring back the little kid in everyone.....

Daisy'sMom
09-16-2007, 10:24 AM
The very first time that I visited the Kingdom was on opening day. I will never forget that day, the crowds, looking at things I never could imagine. It was magical. I fell in love with everything Disney at that time and our love affair has continued since. Just yesterday my mom and I were talking about our first day there and laughing over the things we saw and did. She saved all her ticket books from that year ( I was a teen and threw mine away). I managed to go to opening day for Epcot and MGM, but missed Animal Kingdom. :mickey:

disney100%
09-16-2007, 01:03 PM
My first trip was when I was in 8th grade (over 20 years ago) and my brother was in 6th. My parents sat us down before we left and said it was going to be a busy vacation because there was a lot to see (of course, there was no MGM or AK) and probably wouldn't be able to afford to go again. My dad was a state trooper at the time and had gotten a settlement from a car accident he was in while on duty. He was using that money to bring us to WDW. By the way, my parents had been married 17 years at this point and had never been on a vacation. This was their first. We stayed off property, which my dad says now he knew was a mistake. But we had a great time anyway. I just remember walking down Main Street and realizing just how amazing it was. We rode the monorail and there was a big dirt pit with a billboard announcing it was the future home of the Grand Floridian. The funny part was we had so much fun, my parents brought us back every other year until we were out of high school. Then, my parents started going by themselves while my brother and I were in college! Our first trip has always been the one we talk about the most - until our last trip. Our last trip included my son, who was 14 months at the time. Seeing WDW through his eyes was just an amazing experience. Our next trip is going to be 2009 with my parents, brother, sister-in-law, nephew, my son, daughter, soon to be born daughter, and of course my DH and myself. We are so excited that we will have 4 little ones (maybe five if my brother and sister in law plan it right :-)) for our next trip.

ibrowse17
09-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I hear you!! I feel very lucky in that I have had two "first" trips. Of course the first was my own in 1975, and the second was when I took my now DW on her first trip in Nov of 2005. I have a pic of the look on her face as she saw Mickey on Main Street, and it is one of my all time fav's. Glad to hear from some fellow Air Force types:thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
09-16-2007, 02:16 PM
My first trip was in 1977 when I was 7 and honestly, my most vivid memory was being devastated that I couldn't explore all of Cinderella's castle. :blush: I truly thought we'd be able to go through the whole thing - I was not happy!

We stayed at Fort Wilderness and I remember the movie with Chip & Dale, and getting up for a minute only to have one of them steal my seat! :D And I remember going to a neighbors campsite because they had a TV and we were there during the big blackout of '77 in NYC, so my parents were watching the news with them to see what was going on. :mickey:

Stan
09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I grew up in LA and TX, and going to Disneyland would have been a ridiculous idea (all our family vacations were to visit family in TN and GA). By the time WDW opened I was in college. I finished at UT Austin in April '77 (hook 'em Horns) and took my first job with Westinghouse in Tampa. First day on the job they handed me a "Magic Kingdom Club" packet. I was just a bit busy and $trapped for a while, so I didn't actually get to WDW until between Christmas 77 and New Years 78- 2 college buddies from UT drove down from Austin and the 3 of us spent a day there.

It was very busy holiday time in MK, we had the old A B C D E style tickets which limited how many things we could do (just as well given the length of the lines), and either the park's schedule or ours kept us from spending all that many hours there. Still, it was magic and overwhelming. I have a particular memory of topping an early hill on SM and 1 of my buddies saying, "All ____ is about to break loose". :D I don't think I cried any that day (that would come later :blush:), but Disney definitely pushed some buttons I didn't know I had. :)

wdw_bound
09-16-2007, 03:38 PM
My first visit was as a 32-year old who had been DYING to go since she was seven and first heard of the place. I had a business trip in Miami and drove so I could take DH and DD (then 2.5) and stop at MK for a day on the way home.

We took the ferry from the TTC, and DH says the look of sheer joy and wonder on my face at that point was more impressive than on DD's face. I wept as the castle came into view.

We spent the whole day at MK and still laugh at what lucky amateurs we were. No ADR, but got a walk-up at LTT in time to watch the nighttime parade just outside the door after dinner.

We caught the show at the Diamond Horseshoe while enjoying ice cream. We saw tons of characters and I rode POTC for the first time and fell in love :mickey: All this without even a park map :blush:

As we rode the ferry back to the TTC at park closing holding a fast asleep DD, we were already making plans for our next visit.

Each subsequent visit has been magical and unique, but I'll never forget the wonder of that first ferry ride.

We're taking MIL and FIL on the next trip. MIL has been once for 1.5 days (her neice's HS band played in the parade) and FIL has never been to FL. It'll be neat to watch DD (now 9) be their tourguide :D

LoriMistress
09-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I cried my way through MK as well.

My first WDW memory was when I was on our honeymoon for November 2003. I spent months planning our trip. We finally arrived at our resort (ASMu--we were on a budget), and we checked in, ate dinner at the food court, and went over to DTD to explore and purchase our Mouse Bride/Groom Ears.

For our first day at the parks, we went to Epcot. DH had only been to MK once during his life time, but always wanted to go to Epcot. We arrived before opening. When we arrived it was truely magical. I got to hug Donald Duck right away, and we hopped into TT and M:S. Checking out the WS was truely beautiful.

Though, DH and I have been to DLR numerous times and have a lot memories there. But this year, during December, we'll be back at WDW!

tinksmom02
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
My first visit was 1987. My parents had owned a restaurant, but had sold it, and used some of the money to buy a van and pay for our trip to WDW. We drove down from NJ...

I don't remember much of the trip, and, sadly, many of my memories are not good ones:

My parents wouldn't let me go on SM; they thought it would be too intense for me.
I got sick (like swollen glands, strep throat sick) after swimming in the pool (we'd stayed off-site)
We visited the Kennedy Space Center on the way home (although it's not really "on the way" home), and the van became infested with mosquitos. those uninvited guests made for a very miserable trip home!
But the most vivid: We went on SSE, and Mom, Dad, and baby bro were in the front. Me (11) and bro (9) were in the back. Bro was NOT a fan of roller coasters. Right at the beginning of the ride, when the cars start to move up, bro started absolutely spazzing out. His assumption was that whatever goes up, must come down, and he was sure that we'd tricked him onto a coaster. He spent much of the ride deperately trying to climb out, and I spent much of the ride trying to keep him in.

Sad memories back then, but they're worth a chuckle now.

Is it any wonder that it took me so long to get back? LOL

It took me NINETEEN years to finally ride SM, but it was worth it!

NJRRK
09-17-2007, 08:37 PM
The day after Easter 1976. The hottest Easter on record in NJ, up to that time.

When we got to WDW it was actually cooler in FL than NJ. We stayed off-site and my parents realized later that was a mistake.

We got into our hotel at about 2 p.m. and my parents decided to drive towards the MK (there wasn't anything else). Just to get our bearings for the next day when we had planned on going into the MK. As we were driving towards the toll plaza we were listening to the radio station and they were saying that the park would be open until 2 a.m. My mom looked at my dad and the three of us being night owls anyway (I was 15 at the time) we all decided to go in that 10+ hours would be plenty of time to see the park. We did everything in those 10 hours closing the park with Space Mountain my dad and I actually got off SM at 2:15.

We went back to the MK 2 more days that week, also did Sea World and Cypress Gardens. Mom, Dad and I went back every year until 1981. I continued until 1985 with the every year.

Mom and Dad haven't been since 1988 so DW and I are taking them next October can't wait to see mom's reaction to the MK, she might cry.

EPCOT Princess Horizons
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I will never forget my first trip because it totally changed my life, EPCOT Center completely has inspired me in every way it is a miracle to my life.Spaceship Earth is my favorite attraction because it is so inspiring and emotional to me,I will never forget the first time I stood beneath the geodesic sphere and I said to my mom "that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen" and when I found out it had a beautiful name and a beautiful attraction inside it all made so much sense to me . I love EPCOT Center and all the wonderful things it has taught me. It is truly Walt Disneys dream come true.:mickey:

Tink#64
09-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow - all great stories! In 200 it was the first trip for all for of us, DS's were then 4 & 6. DH & I had never been as kids so we were as excited as DS's! I had been planning that trip since second DS was born. I knew I wanted to wait unitl he no longer needed naps & was potty trained!

Tink#64
09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Wow - so many great memories! In 2002 it was the first trip for all for of us, DS's were then 4 & 6. DH & I had never been as kids so we were as excited as DS's! I had been planning that trip since second DS was born. I knew I wanted to wait until he no longer needed naps & was potty trained!It was the most awesome thing the four of us had ever done together!

It's so funny looking back, I only planned 4 days, 1 for each park! I didn't know anything about Intercot then or other guide books besides Birnbaum's - a friend had loaned me hers. We had a wonderful time, but quickly realized 4 days wasn't nearly enough time. We went non stop and we were exhausted by the fourth day. We were almost crawling through AK!:blush:

The funniest part was,we couldn't believe that all these people we talked to made this trip every year!:jaw:

We were so sad when it came time to leave, DH & I actually thought about trying to make arrangements to stay a couple more days! Needless to say, after that first trip we were hooked! We couldn't afford to go the next year due to some pretty major home remodeling, but then we returned in '04. 05 & 06. We took this year off to do something different & took the kids to the beach. We had a great time, but we still can't remember why we decided we needed to do something besides WDW! Now we're all waiting, some more patiently than others, for our next trip, next year!:wait:

WDW has become part of our lives, all four of us love it and the memories we make there together. We have now had DM, DB & other family & friends join us for a couple of trips. We have helped several friends plan trips for their families. I think it will be something we all look forward to sharing with each other and family & friends for a very long time.:cloud9:

There's just no other place in the world that is as magical as WDW!:magic:

mcjaco
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
My first trip was at 2 years old in 1977. Obviously, I don't recall much from that trip. We went every year after that until I was in high school. It's those trips I remember the most. My first ride on BTMRR in it's first year of operation, going to EPCOT a month after opening, and it being empty, MGM's first year. There's really too many to name.

In one month, I'll be there for my forth visit this year, plus one trip to DLR. I can't get enough. :D

prprincess
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
My first memory isn't of my first trip to WDW...go figure, but I just can't seem to remember anything before the age of 5.

Anyway, my aunt had coaxed me onto the Haunted Mansion. I was scared, of course, but she kept telling me not to worry because it was funny. The stretching room horrified me, as did the rest of the ride. I grabbed onto her in our Doombuggy and held her tight. She used my mouse ears to cover my face because I didn't want to see, but I remember her laughing during the entire ride, and asking me to take peeks. Finally, we reach the end of the ride, and she tells me to look in the mirror to see how neat something was--I did, and of course was horrified seeing a ghost on my lap (not to mention the fact that she told me he was going to go home with us!) and really started bawling. After that I vowed to never believe anything that my aunt told me ever again.

Now, 29 years later, the HM is my favorite ride because of that memory. And my aunt was right, it is pretty darn funny!!

BigRedDad
09-19-2007, 04:36 AM
The earliest memory I can recall is playing the games at Pioneer Hall in FW. I do remember the rides and MK, but cannot recall a specific time because we were there so often in the 70s. My parents first memory was the first year it opened. I was 1 and got me head stuck in the rail at HM. I was the first.

MickeyandTink
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I grew up in LA and TX, and going to Disneyland would have been a ridiculous idea (all our family vacations were to visit family in TN and GA).

I grew up in the D/FW area in Texas as well, so we made plenty of trips to Six Flags and went to Six Flags over GA a couple of times when visiting relatives there, but did not go to WDW for the first time until 1983 for my HS graduation present. Epcot had just opened and MGM and AK didn't exist. We stayed off-site because money was a factor and "Value" resorts hadn't been built on the property yet.

I don't remember a lot from that trip, but some of the highlights included:
1. Riding the monorail (especially cool going right through the middle of the contemporary resort.
2. Space Mountain (Loved it then, still do now). Also remember going through the long tunnels while waiting in line and seeing clips from "20K Leagues under the Sea" being shown on TV's via the RCA videodisc player.
3. Haunted Mansion (Another great ride)
4. Going through World Showcase and eating dinner at the Japanese Steakhouse (I don't remember the name of it, but it was a fantasitic meal).
5. The dancing fountains at Epcot.
6. The Mad Hatter's Tea Party (My brother and I nearly made each other :ack: spinning those cups as fast as we could.
7. Carousel of Progress (I thought the final scene with the family sitting around the fire up in their house in the hills was just the type of place I wanted to live in someday).

(I guess I remembered more than I initially thought).

My brother and I went out together five years later for my college graduation (just the two of us). The best memories were:
1. Going through WS and trying to drink a beer in every country (made it about halfway before deciding we were getting too intoxicated and too poor to continue).
2. Running into a group of ~ 30 HS students from Brazil in the MK. We hung out with them most of the day and had a great time. Their English, while not very good, was better than our Portugese and Spanish. Although we didn't always understand what the other was saying, the magic of Disney brought us together.

I haven't been back since, but only 3 more days until DW :tink: and I take DD6 :princess: for her first time. I think it will be even more special seeing it through her eyes.

Mushu11756
09-19-2007, 12:37 PM
My first memory of WDW was in 1975 or 76 when my parent's brought me there for the first time. We drove from NY in a blue Pinto and I remember asking my Dad constantly "Are we there yet?" I'm surprised He did not kill me!!! The ride I remember the most was 2000 leagues under the sea!!! I loved that ride!!!

katzctkpt
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
My 1st trip was in 2004 my dh had been when he was younger. Our youngest dd was 5 ds 8 & dd 11. My youngest was into the princesses so, when we walked into MK the look in those little blue eyes made me well up. She was in awe of it all. Even myself I'd always wanted to go as a child but, my parents couldn't afford to take us. I'm just so glad that we've been able to take our children and hope that their memories of WDW will be the ones they talk about years to come.

BritCody
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
My first trip was in 1976. My parents took me when I was 8 years old. The thing that always stuck out to me was the MK was bigger and better than any park I had ever been to. I remember dragging my parents from one character to another and having so much fun riding the rides. But the thing that sticks out most for me from the first trip was the bicentennial parade. I had never seen a parade of that magnitude, sure I had seen local parades but this was a Disney Parade and done it true Disney Fashion. It floored me as an 8 year old and I always think about that parade whenever I'm on Mainstreet.

martinfamily5
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I grew up in Fl so as a child went many times. But my best memories have been with my husband and children. Our first trip was in 2000. The kids were at perfect ages. DD 10, DD 7 and DS 4. We did not tell them that we were going. It took me 3 years to save the money. We stayed off property and rented a car. DH would not input at all for the trip. He was just kind of in the thought of "yeah we are going for the kids." We woke the kids up at 5 a.m. and drove to the airport. They had never flown and were very excited just about flying. They thought that that was the surprise. Then when we told them where we were going they got so excited. When we got to the TTC at MK DH was so excited. He said "where is the castle?" I told him that we had a little farther to go. Then when he saw it, it was magic. He couldn't believe how everything was making him feel, since the trip was for the kids. Then he stopped me on main street and thanked me for planning such a wonderful trip. He said next time lets stay on property. I said next time? There won't be a next time, it took me forever to save for this trip. But there have been many next times. Our kids are now DD 17, DD 14 and DS 11. They have enjoyed each and every trip. They are very appreciative. We haven't been since 2005 due to ill DH and finances. But in mid August DH sold a barn full of antique prized vehicles in order to take his family to Disney again. The kids will not be home much longer and we want to create memories for them.

tink2006
09-20-2007, 12:25 PM
What a great thread! All the stories bring a smile to my face :mickey: I remember going several times growing up with many great memories but the first time we went as a family is the one that brings the biggest smile! My DH had been once before, for the opening of Epcot. He did not go anywhere else. When our DS was two I decided it was time for him to experience the magic. I remember DH stating WDW? We can't afford to go there :mad: Well, we went despite his monetary objections. After all, I am the banker in the family :D After the first day we were hooked! We knew we would be back. Little did I know at the time that we would go back every year. I remember....

DS on DH shoulders blowing kissess yelling "Pooh bear, where are you?"

Every time DS saw Captain Hook he would call him No,No.

The wide eyed look the first time DS saw Tigger! DS ran and jumped into his arms. Luckiily Tigger figured out was going to happen ;)

Playing with water ballons at River Country with the Fab Five- Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Mickey and Tigger

Eating at Cosmic Rays and listening to Sonny Eclipse - DS thought he was real and clapped and laughed at all the jokes.

Staying at DH favorite resort - Dixie Landings (now POR).

The list goes on and on....Every year we add more memories :cloud9:

ILoveLegos
09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
August of 1977 was my family's first trip to Disney World and I was 6 years old. We knew about Disneyland because my father would go there for "down time" during his annual accounting audits he conducted for his company, and he'd always bring back the neatest tee-shirt and souveniers for my brother, sister and me. I took my 1st grade picture in one of those shirts. My siblings and I were also were avid watchers of Sunday night's Wonderful World of Disney and we had watched Tinker Bell douse Cinderella Castle with pixie dust on every comercial break! All that still did not prepare my siblings and I for our first view of the castle when approaching on the monorail! It was like a dream. First of all, the fact that the monorail went through the Contemporary hotel blew my mind - it was soo exciting. It all led up to the the point where you emerged from the train trussle rounded the hub and peered down main street where the castle just bekond for us to come closer to examine this place. Examine it we did, I fondly remember these cank machines that had photographs in it where you could crank the handle and see "motion pictures". I remember the view of the park from the tomorrowland skyway and of course our tour on the "Happiest Cruise on Earth" - the song bacame even more fun to sing in other languages when we picked up on the Spanish and Japanese versions and became like a theme song to us that trip (thanks to recordings of IASW that we listened to a lot on the trip and after in many languages).
It was soo hot that time of year though that thankfully my mom had been given the tip by a friend that we should walk through the gift shops as much as possible to keep cool in the air-conditioning instead of swelting in the heat and humidity. That made us kids so happy because we got to examine all sorts of the merchandise in the gift shops and make fairly wise choices for spending our allowance on souveniers. I got the cutest little light up visor that helped shade my face from the sun (I'm very sun sensitive to this day) and made me very easy to see at night - dual functionality for "wondering kids" - LOL. I remember some strange snacks things like the plastic oranges with the drink in it that tasted like tang but had a striped paper straw in it. We kept refilling the "orange" with water or buying a drink and pouring some of the soft drinks into each of our oranges until the paper straw sort of disentergrated in our mouths (yuck)and then we threw out the gunky straw and just sucked the water directly out of the orange. Using those made even Florida water taste good to us and it was fun to make slurping sounds out of it as we drank. Well, we held on to those thingys for about a week after our trip, until my mom couldn't stand it anymore and tossed them out - to all of our sad protests. Here are my most favorable memories of the trip:
1. The animal topiaries there - I was soo impressed that an elephant could be made out of a bush!
2. The Parade, I never watched one from the side lines before and it was still very patriotic down there with (Fife and Drums) which I loved even though it was a year after the Bi-Centenial celebration - I also remember a circle vision movie called America the beautiful or something like that - it was gorgeous, but it made me queasy so I had to looked at the floor a lot and i remember seeing lots of legs because I was short.
3. Frontier land with a shooting arcade - my parents wouldn't let me fire the B-B guns but my older 12 year old brother got to do it and we cheered him on - he was a good shot.
4. Space mountain - I remember being really scared and then laughing because some big college boys who cut in on our family so that we did not get a whole car and the front half of the back car like we should have (my big brother rode in the back seat "alone behind my dad and little sister), forcing my mom and I into the back of the second car. Well after bragging about how the ride was "nothing" we took off down that first hill and they started yelling and screaming like scaredy cats all the way through - we really got the last laugh! Just as memorable was rocket trip to mars or something like that, I remember the seats moved down a bit as you blasted off - to me it felt real!
5. The octopus in 20,000 leagues under the sea gave me the willies big time and I had to close my eyes and hope he would not eat our submarine too. It looked real to me then - but years later when I rode it I figured that my imagination got the best of me. Hahaha!
6. The Main Street Electrical parade with all those lights wow - I even saw the "real" Pete riding on Elliot the Dragon (my favorite movie at the time) and he said hello and waved at us! I feel in love with that musical score that night!
7. The fireworks - well we had to leave in the middle of them because they were so loud and close, it appeared to me and my younger sister thought the shells and fizzles were going to fall on us and burn us in the head, but it did look just like the Wonderful World of Disney show (the little bit that we saw before leaving in hysteria - well we beat the crowds out of the park). It was a great trip and after we returned home we'd always watch The Wonderful World of Disney and say "We Went There"! as Tink flew by!

IloveDisney71
09-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I was less than a year old when I visited the MK for the first time. I made many visits over the years, but my first two most vivid memories are of me riding BTMR when I was 10. It was amazing and was my very first roller coaster ride. I got to sit in the front in between my brother and dad. I loved it! I decided to try Space Mountain when I was 11 and was totally freaked out(in a bad way)! I screamed my head off because I couldn't see where I was going. I didn't ride it again until I was 15! :) I loved it the second time! These are still 2 of my favorite rides and I have to ride them every time I go.

WDW Dreamer
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
The first memory I have is as a 13 year old. My Dad was in the Marines and we had just been transferred from Georgia to Hawaii and were going to stop by my Grandparents house in Florida to spend a few days before our long drive to California. My parents decided to take us all to the newly opened WDW, this is November 1971. We got up early and started the drive and you might remember that it was a rather woodsy drive for quite a while AND THEN....you turn a corner and there is the huge Magic Kingdom sign leading into the parking area. When I saw that sign tears of happiness started streaming down my face. I didn't realize how powerful my Disney feelings were. We had a wonderful time and I'll never forget it. I still get the same feelings every time I enter the truly wonderful world of Disney. :cloud9:

snowflakegirl
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Our first trip was when I was seven and my younger sister was two. We drove from New Hampshire to Florida in one straight shot, starting in the morning, driving through the night and arriving at our motel on 192 the next morning.

I remember that the shower in the room we got leaked (ironically we had that same room the next two trips to Disney World...and the shower still leaked!)
I remember driving from the motel to Disney World watching Mickey peaking over the signs and getting more and more excited.
I remember walking towards Peter Pan's Flight when Robin Hood happened upon us and taking my picture with him. Then Robin knelt down to my sister in her stroller and she started screaming at the top of her lungs.
I remember ending up spending an evening in an emergency walk-in clinic in Kissimmee, which was when we discovered my sister's slight lactose intolerance... At home, though she drank milk, there were always other things ... At that time in Disney there weren't really any other healthy drink options for a two year old.
I remember my father, who hated all things that could be considered a roller coaster agreeing to go on Thunder Mountain with me, and it becoming our favorite ride that trip. He and I still have a special relationship with BTMR.
I remember begging my parents to come back to Disney World before we'd even left!

I have more memories from that trip, but those are the ones that always stick out first when I think about my first trip to Disney World. Thanks for a chance to relive the memories for a few minutes.

gresh00
09-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I think it was actually our second trip down (I was only 2 and a half first trip), but I remember we spent a day at FW - rode horses, did the petting zoo, played in the arcade, took pictures of the lawnmower tree (anyone know about it?) and then went to River Country. I remeber this only b/c in subsequnt trips we never did it again. Now, I think most of that stuff in FW is gone, and River Country, of course, has gone the way of the Timekeeper.