PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Disney Meltdown"

ckaranassos
09-15-2007, 07:52 AM
I had posted during my trip report that I had a "Disney Meltdown" while sweating in AK. My family has begun to look forward to the small eruptions that occur during families while doing the parks. For example: one family got off Snow White while we were waiting in line, and the father politely informed his family "do not speak to me for the rest of the trip", or one family went cruising by and the mother announces "your father is in one of his moods so lets just leave him here". My meltdown was I simply stood up in AK after my DH had some not so helpful comments, so I waved to everyone and said I'll be on the bus if you need me.

jodijo
09-15-2007, 09:27 AM
My son and I were waiting for the rest of the family inside MK when a father (having a meltdown) pulled his son aside and said, "This is not about fun! It is about family!" When they walked away my son and I could not help laughing. I wanted to yell at that father and tell him that you are at MK, it is about fun and family!
"This is not about fun! It is about family!" is now our family joke.

BluewaterBrad
09-15-2007, 10:16 AM
My son and I were waiting for the rest of the family inside MK when a father (having a meltdown) pulled his son aside and said, "This is not about fun! It is about family!" When they walked away my son and I could not help laughing. I wanted to yell at that father and tell him that you are at MK, it is about fun and family!
"This is not about fun! It is about family!" is now our family joke.

Now thats funny!:mickey:

kdkhopper
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
We were waiting to get into AK one morning and heard a woman ask her husband what time it was. He looked at his watch, gave her the time. She looked at him with contempt and disgust and replied that that time was wrong, because if it was right, she would be missing their reservation for breakfast. BTW, he had the correct time.

I also vividly remember a little girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old standing in the waiting area for Country Bears screaming at the top of her lungs "I WANT TO GO ON DUMBO!!!!"

robyn221
09-15-2007, 11:36 AM
"This is not about fun! It is about family!"

I think someone uttered something very similar to this on our last vacation with my DH's family.

Absolutely hysterical! This may become my new signature!

Robyn:mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm sure we've had 'em....I just can't remember any good ones.......I'm sure I was the one getting "hammered"....maybe for wanting to stop for a second to grab a quick smoke....that's the reason for most of the "drama" anyway.......

tinksmom02
09-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I can't recall any right now, but I'm sure I'll have a bunch for you when we get back. DH is already giving me grief about this trip...I told him to stay home.

Then DD5 said she didn't want to go, she would miss the dogs :confused:...I told her to stay home, too. I'll go by myself if I have to LOL

So I'm sure we'll have some serious explosions on vacation.

Clotho
09-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh this thread is perfect! We just had the BEST meltdown experience on our most recent trip.

We were in line for an ECV at AK, and behind us, a girl about 5 years old lets out a PIERCING SCREAM. Like, she beats Boo by 50 decibels. Instinctively I crane my head around and look at the little girl, who looks up at me, threateningly shakes a tiny fist in the air and says, "Don't talk to meeee!"

LOLROFL!

I wish I could say it for you so you could hear the way she did it. It was priceless. It instantly added into our family lexicon (hubby, sister and I), and we used it many times throughout the rest of our trip and since we have come home.

Bringonthemouse!
09-16-2007, 06:05 PM
As I've lived in the Great White North for all my 33 years, I do not deal well with extreme heat. My DD15 has come to realize this as we do get some scorchers up here in the summer and so as not to have a brawl that could possibly lead to WWIII, we have agreed to not speak to each other when I am over-heated.
While in the AK last April it turned out to be a day that reached 110º (OK, that's a mild exaggeration but on my heat scale, it came close ;)) and my DD started with the "mom, can we go here, Mom, can we do this, mom, can you buy me...?" If she hadn't responded to my evil eye :thedolls: by staying quiet, there would have been a serious meltdown at the Happiest Place on Earth that day!!! :blowup:

LizLovesDiz
09-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't know about a meltdown as far as I am concerned,because it's usually just my DD and me . She and I started going when she was 16,and we are Disney freaks!
But I do have to say that we have witnessed our share of frustrated parents!!!At times we weren't sure who the kids were and who the parents were!!!:fit::bang::angry:

2Epcot
09-17-2007, 03:26 AM
Luckily none of our meltdowns were at WDW, but we had our share on other vacations. Growing up we traveled cross country quite a bit, so there was plenty of time for meltdowns. Sometimes people just put too much pressure on themselves to have a good time ... just need to relax and enjoy the magic. :mickey:

mickey&missy
09-17-2007, 10:04 AM
When we were there in 2005 my DS, then 2, completely freaked when we tried to leave the model train exhibit in Germany (Ibelieve) in Epcot!

He loves trains and could have spent in entire day watching it go around and around and around...! :train:

We had stood there for about 5 minutes watching them and figured it was time to move on. He started screaming "No!! I wanna watch trains!"

DH and decided that we all were a little tired, so he and I took turns going to the bathroom and sitting on a nearby bench while he watched and DD showed off for all the people passing by. He feel asleep within 30 minutes!

rnin02
09-17-2007, 10:59 PM
We had our share of meltdowns this vacation ourselves (adults only!) but none I remember well enough to type up and make funny. The heat and the crowds are enough to make anyone cranky! My favorite meltdown of this trip happened with my friend's 2 1/2 year old son. We met them for dinner their first night, he hadn't slept well the night before, mom hadn't slept at all, so that wasn't a good setup. He's doing well at dinner, we were at San Angel Inn right by the water, so he was waving at the boats and having a great time, when all of the sudden, out of nowhere he starts screaming and crying. I mean this little boy went from giggling to hysterical in no time flat. We were all sitting there, almost in shock, asking each other "what happened?" when, all of the sudden, he fell asleep, propped up on his mom. Just like that, he was out like a light. Unreal, but funny after we were over our shock. Kids are funny!

Mickey 101
09-18-2007, 01:19 AM
When we were at WDW last trip, my DH and DD were going back and forth about something (can't remember subject) when we were at MGM. My DH finally got fed up with her, and said "You were testing me, and you failed." Although he was quite serious and frustrated, my DD, DS, and I couldn't help but start cracking up. To this day, we have to bring it back up for a good laugh!:funny:

Clotho
09-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I mean this little boy went from giggling to hysterical in no time flat. We were all sitting there, almost in shock, asking each other "what happened?" when, all of the sudden, he fell asleep, propped up on his mom. Just like that, he was out like a light.

This is awesome! I love it! LOL

BigDisneyDad
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
The funniest meltdown I ever witnessed was a Dad drudging down Main Street in the pouring rain followed by 4 crying children, and a less than enthusiastic wife, yelling "You all wanted to come here! Now we're here and you're going to have fun whether you like it or not!" :scratch: :shake:

Marilyn Michetti
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
DH and I are, (cough), older, and come from a more genteel time. We don't have "meltdowns", we have "cold-ups". Things get VERY frosty - (until he admits he was wrong, and apologizes).:thumbsup:

missbunny
09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
We have had two almost meltdowns with my niece, Jackie age 7. Normally she's the sweetest kid, but like all children she has her moments.

While in Chef Mickeys for an early breakfast after a MVMCP, Jackie was tired and cranky. She was just sitting there with a sad face. She then bit into her doughnut and lost a tooth and swallowed it. Well, that was it, she began to cry that the tooth fairy wouldn't know where she was and how could she get a dollar for the tooth since she ate it. The tears were rolling down her face. Goofy heard the commotion and came over to give Jackie a hug. That made her smile since Goofy is her favorite. We got some Disney dollars for her pillow later that day.
A few days later, we were eating at Flame Tree and Jackie was hot and tired. We got a table in the back and some ducks come over. She just about crawled on top of my dh. Jackie never saw ducks up close before. She is from Cape Cod, MA and theren't too many ducks around. She began to whine and moan about how close they were getting. OMG, killer ducks! The adults were trying not to laugh. She started to shoo them away with her hat, but the ducks weren't falling for that. She tried to climb onto the table. Her mom was losing her patience. Crystal threatened going back to the hotel if Jackie didn't stop. We quickly finished eating and got away from those menacing mallards. We got some great pics of her and her ducks. She isn't afraid of them now, but we love bringing up those ducks.

DisneyDudet
09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
We haven't really had problems, except one time at Epcot. It was December 05 I think, but I'm not sure. We are waiting at opening for Epcot. I think this might have been our last morning. And my dad started making fun of me for wanting to get a FP first for Soarin. I mean, wouldn't stop, and I just had it. I ended up saying "Well, if you don't want to ride it, then fine! I'll go by myself!" Yeah, that went over well. He told me to chill, and I told him that I didn't appreciate being made fun of, especially for something I don't do (he kept telling me I needed to have my 'killer elbows' ready). I just didn't want to be made fun of!

I walked the rope to Soarin and got the first FP's of the day for all of us anyway. If it weren't for me... they'd be waiting!!

BrerSchultzy
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Okay, this is along the lines of "Meltdown Avoided", and it's awful for me to still be laughing about this, but:

My wife (then girlfriend) and I took a one day trip to MK, so, naturally, we spent the entire day there. It was about 3 PM, and it was a little hot, and we were both really tired (after driving nine hours the day before). We sat down in the smoking area in front of the Plaza (by the river). I said something stupid (and I still don't remember what it was...I'm sure it was something to do with money) and Erin got upset with me, and things just escalated. I could feel the fight coming on...one of those completely unavoidable fights about absolutely nothing.

Well, next to us was a very loud family with three pre-teen boys. The boys were kicking other people's chairs and running away, blaming it on each other. They even tried to steal one guy's hat. I didn't see any younger kids, but they had a stroller anyway. And the boys (who were very obnoxious) were playing in the stroller, when one of the larger boys sat in it and it tipped over. And he couldn't get out. And the other two boys immediately started pointing their fingers at him and yelling at their mom that he broke the stroller.

I don't think Erin and I have ever laughed that hard in our lives. I know it's terrible, but the image of those mean little boys in trouble is just too funny.

After that, we went on our way and had a wonderful day. Thanks annoying, little brat ...you made our day.

jillluvsdisney
09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
This has been one of the most entertaining,laugh inducing threads I've read in awhile. Thanks everyone.:number1:

brad192
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I think it was during my trip in '94. I was in the MK, somewhere along the main drag thru Frontierland, sitting on a bench taking a break from line standing & walking to & fro. A young mother approached the next bench with her daughter, about 2 or 3 crying hysterically. :fit: I thought to myself "Self, sometimes it's nice not to have children", as I watched the mother trying unsuccessfully to comfort her young daughter.

About that time, the father arrives carrying snacks & drinks for all. He looks at his sweet, young, shrieking daughter, and then at his wife, asking the question (paraphrasing here) "What the heck set her off?" To which mom replies "I don't know, she just started up!" Both had that deer in the headlights look on their faces. :unsure:

At this point, dad kneels down & asks his daughter "What's wrong, sweetie?" To which she replies, screaming, "I'M HAVING A BAD DAY!!" Needless to say, everyone witnessing this lost it & began laughing, including myself AND Mom & Dad. :funny: The little girl noticed this, and within 10 seconds had turned off the tear ducts & became a darling little angel once again. At this point, I was laughing so hard I thought I might.... well....release some moisture. It has to have been one of the funniest moments I've ever had at WDW!

minnie1956
09-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm the peacemaker in our family. After 4 days of letting people cut in line, trample us etc. I kept responding to the family, let them go, we're on vacation, they're in a big hurry. etc.
WELL. I saw this very LARGE woman on a scooter with a brace on her leg speaking German to her cohorts. I said "oh how sad to come all this way and have a sprained ankle.
Until we got to Peter Pan. Finally, NO LINE.
The family heads over, the girls are just about to get in line, when this group of German ( all adults, start running to it too. Almost knocks one of the girls down and this large woman gets off the scooter and proceeds to JUMP the chains to cut ahead of us. Whennwe caught up to them in the queue line, I walked up to her and called her a "Weinershnitzel" (fried veal) The fact that she could have hurt one of the girls just so she could jump the line really took my last nerve. The look on her face was priceless. My whole family doubled over in laughter at me, "the peacemaker" getting into the face of this woman who was a good 6 inches taller than me. Now we can't walk past Peter Pan without some smart aleck in the group snickering and looking at me. :blush:

Tigger&Stitch
09-22-2007, 08:02 AM
On our honeymoon, we were taking the elevator down to start our day. When we got into the elevator, there was already a family there - mom,dad and 2 kids. We were wearing our honeymoon "ears" and were generally giddy. :mickey:

The father asked if we were having a good time, and we answered "of course we are! This is the happiest place on earth!"

He looked at his wife, and said "did you hear that? Happiest place on earth!" She could have killed him with the look she threw him! They clearly had been fighting before we got in the elevator...wonder what kind of tongue-lashing he got after that?!?

MickeyandTink
10-09-2007, 06:33 PM
During our trip last month, nothing really remarkable happened (meltodown wise), at least until our last night.

We had been at WDW for a week and on our last Friday had spent all day at Epcot. It was the hottest day of the trip and also the first day of the F&W festival. By mid-aftertoon, it was very crowded. We had dinner reservations at Coral Reef for 6:20, which I figured would give us plenty of time for dinner and then get over to the American Pavilion for the concert at 8:15.

Of course, service was exceptionally slow and it was after 8:30 before we could leave the restaurant. I put DD in the stroller and raced over to WS to get to the concert. DW was following while talking to her parents on the cell phone. As I said, it was very crowded and somewhere along the way she lost sight of me. I was in a hurry to try and catch the concert and didn't look back until we got there. It was then I realized she wasn't there. DD and I sat down to watch the concert and I tried calling DW. We caught the last 10 minutes of it, but DW didn't find us until it was all over.

We then went to try and find a spot for the fireworks and our frustrations boiled out. DW said maybe she should go off somewhere else to see the fireworks and I agreed maybe she should. DD got all upset and crying that she didn't want us to get divorced. A couple of minutes later, we both calmed down and explained that we were just hot and tired and that nobody was getting divorced. By the end of the evening, after we had cooled down with a :marg:, all was well.