PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice about where to eat on Dining Plan

deva
09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
As the title says...

I wasn't planning on getting the dining plan until I realized what a good deal it is. Now I'm planning on doing it, but nervous because my kids (6 & 2):

a. Are scared of characters in costumes (yea, this rules a lot out, doesn't it),

b. Aren't the most patient restauranteers (buffets?), and

c. Don't like much in the way of exotic food. They do like steak.

We won't be in the world that long, and I don't want to spend a lot of time waiting to be seated or eating long, slow meals.

My wife/kids/mom will be arriving on a Friday around 3:00 at Port Orleans. I'll join them in the evening. They will probably hang out at the pool, ride the monorail, or go to Downtown Disney Friday.

Saturday, I think we're going to spend the entire day at MK, although Epcot is a possibility. We'll break the day up with a nap.

Sunday, morning MK, afternoon Epcot. Also another nap.

Monday morning most likely MK, unless the kids want to do Epcot again. Its their first time to WDW, my guess is MK again. We leave the World at around noon.

Based on all this, what table service (and to a lesser degree, counter service) might you recommend?

I know I want to work The Coral Reef into the plan on one of the Epcot days, as I think the kids will love the aquarium.

Please respond with your extended thoughts & advice.

Jared
09-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Coral Reef seems like a perfect option for dinner on Saturday. I was planning to recommend it before reading the end of your original post.

Most Magic Kingdom restaurants feature characters. Liberty Tree Tavern serves a traditional table service lunch with a nice menu. If you're willing to spend table service credits on lunch, your kids would probably enjoy Liberty Tree Tavern. At dinnertime, the restaurant becomes a family-style Thanksgiving feast with Mickey, Minnie and friends donning colonial garb.

Tony's Town Square is one of the only other table service restaurants in Magic Kingdom without characters. The food is rather bland and mediocre, but it's hard to mess up spaghetti and meatballs and other basic Italian fare. You won't leave excited, but you probably won't be disappointed, either. Just begin your meal with reasonable expectations.

I am not too familiar with Downtown Disney restaurants, so I will withhold an opinion.

Good luck, and I hope my advice helps!

:tasty:

Cinderelley
09-15-2007, 03:21 AM
I would recommend O'hana at the Polynesian and Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge. They are quick trips out of MK (on your way to or back from a nap), no characters, but lots of fun for kids.

wdw_bound
09-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Another vote for Ohana. A quick trip out of MK and you are at the beautiful Polynesian. There are fun activities (hula lessons, coconut races) to keep the kids engaged. The food is really good - it's a must on our list each trip. Depending on when you eat, you might be able to what the Electric Water Pageant and/or the fireworks from the beach.

If you have girls, consider the Princess Storybook breakfast - all face characters and very good food. I'd steer clear of lunch and dinner here with picky eaters.

Coral Reef tip - make an early Dinner ADR - many people (my family included) report long waits past ADR time. Also, by getting there early, you are more likely to be granted a request for a tankside table (though you'll probably have to wait).

At DTD, we enjoy Wolfgang Puck Express (CS). We haven't tried a TS restaurant here - WPE is incredibly good value.

FriendsofMickey
09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I have not read the other responses, so bear with any repeats. :)

1900 Park Fare may be doable. From what I have read recently, they had the mice removed from the dinner and replaced with the stepmother and stepsisters. Also, I would guess if you asked them to skip your table they would.

Whispering Canyon (at the Wilderness lodge) is a great fun place for the little ones. No characters are there at all, but a lot of fun.

Coral Reef as you mentioned is nice also. Wasn't our favorite, but then my girls love the characters.

I have only been to Character Buffets, so I am no help with buffets.

CS favorites:
MK:
Caseys - hot dogs and fries.
Peco Bills
Pinnochio's
MGM:
Rosies all-American - this is accrossed from where Beauty and the Beast plays
AK:
They took my favorite away :(
EPCOT:
Not sure I have a favorite (there are a lot of places to eat here).

As far as them being picky, most of the children's menus are standard. You should be able to easily find something they will like.
You can review all the menus on this site (or it was so the last time I looked... I think under info central).

The dining plan is a great deal.
Have fun planning! :mickey:

tinksmom02
09-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I think your kids would like Coral Reef, and I think they may have steak on their menu for the landlubbers.

Here's another vote for Ohanas...we're trying it NEXT WEEK LOL but I've heard really good things about it, and that there's lots of fun stuff for kids. Plus, as I tell my carnivorous DD, they have steak on a stick LOL

dml
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I really like the character dinning too, but since those are out I agree with a definite stop at Ohana and I would also suggest the Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF. I have eaten at both and enjoyed it every time!

:mickey::mickey:

pixiesmimi
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
The Crystal Palace is a good buffet. They have a kid's buffet. The characters don't come around very often (Pooh, Tigger, Eyore, and Piglet) and don't always hit every table so maybe the kids would be okay. Who knows, they might enjoy it and start liking the characters. We enjoyed the O'hana's breakfast too. Our DGSs (1 and 3) loved it. By the way, the LIberty Tree Tavern doesn't have characters at noon and the food from the menu is very good and enough of it to be considered a TS. There were quiet a few kids there and they seemed to be enjoying it.

limegreenmonorail
09-16-2007, 11:29 PM
My thoughts:

Friday - Might I suggest Fort Wilderness that evening? There's a great buffet there called Trail's End. After dinner, head over to Chip n' Dale's Campfire Sing-along. Chip n' Dale show up at the end of the singalong portion, and they're only there a few minutes and very easy to avoid. Or, just arrive a bit late, so you'll miss them. After Chip n' Dale leave, you can stay and watch the outdoor movie.

Saturday - I'd say Ohana for dinner this day. Quick monorail ride from MK, and tons of fun, and no waiting for food.

Sunday - Coral Reef for dinner. I bet you're right...kids will love the aquarium!

Monday - If you're going to MK, how about Whispering Canyon for breakfast? Fun, memorable way to end your trip.

deva
09-17-2007, 07:59 AM
OP here...

Great advice so far; please keep them coming.

I wasn't wild about O'hana when I learned that they ditched the shrimp skewers. I was there a long time ago & loved the shrimp but not much else.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I understand your concern about the characters, they can be really scary to children of that age... I am SURE, that if you wanted to go to a character buffet, you could tell your waiter/host, and they would make sure that the characters skip your table... maybe a wave from afar...
The character buffets I recommend are:
The Garden Grill
Liberty Tree Tavern
Chef Mickey's

The non-character buffets:
Whispering Canyon
Hollywood and Vine (not character at dinner)
Cape May Cafe Clambake (not character at dinner)
O'Hanas

For sit-down dining you could try:
Kona Cafe
Coral Reef

Good Luck!! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Boatwright's is at Port Orleans Riverside and may be a good option if you're looking for an easy-going dining experience at your own resort. Hollywood & Vine at MGM is a character free buffet in the evening. Whispering Canyon is a fun choice. Grand Floridian Cafe is a good choice, not buffet, but usually with good service and good food choices.

TBY2225
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Not sure if your kids are boys or girls, but my DD5 was scared of characters last year as well, but loves the princesses. We did the Princess Storybook Breakfast in Norway at Epcot. She loved it! Also if you decided to do a Character meal, let the server know that your kids are scared and they will stay away. This worked great for my DD. We went to Chef Mickeys the first night and we told her that she could see the characters from a distance that we had told them not to come around.They are also really good about picking up queues from your child. Our daughter loved to wave at them from a distance and I think Mickey even threw her a kiss! This really helped her loosen up around them and by the end of the week she had went up to Minnie and Donald!

ravsluvdisney
09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
If you don't really like O'Hana I woud say give Kona Cafe a try. Since it also at the Poly it is a quick monorail trip from MK and it is by far one our favorites great food, including steak, great desserts and a very laid back casual attitude.

I would also second Whispering Canyon Cafe at the WL. Very good food and a lot of fun.