PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to turn a package into a room only? Please help. Plans changed

mouseketeer mom
09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi! We are coming in November, and have a MYW package. I have until Oct. 2nd to pay it off, thats my 45 day mark. Now I find out we have to go back in December so my DD can compete junior olympic gymnastics at Coronado Springs. So...I'm thinking its best if we do an AP instead of a package, or I'd be buying tickets for both Nov. and Dec. and then probably again next fall. How do I do that? I want to keep the room we are staying in, (poly concierge level) and its Thanksgiving week. Please tell me I can turn this into a room only.!!!

Eeyore's Pal
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I had no problems at all doing this. They just refunded the deposit on the package and I paid a new one for the room only. Unfortunately they can't just transfer the deposit to the new reservation because it is apparently a different system for their accounting purposes.

DizneyRox
09-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Personally, I'd keep the reservation as is, upgrade your park ticket upon arrival to an AP (you do this at a park Guest Relations window). That way, if you have dining you don't lose that for this upcoming trip.

Less risk of losing anything you might be getting as a perk for this trip.

Just a thought...

Goes4FastPass
09-14-2007, 05:21 PM
DisneyRox is right, especially if you'r getting any sort of special perks.

Another possibility is upgrading your MYW park admission to the max days and add no expiration. If 10 park days is enought to cover both you stays it might be a savings for you.

Check
http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/tickets/passes/magicyourway.asp

and notice the price is flat for Park Hopper and Water parks and more and goes up only a few dollars per day after 4 days - it's the Never Expire part that costs.

Still, you may save and consider, a 10 day Park Hopper adds 10 (Ten!) Water parks and more visits for $50. So each of your 2 trips could include some water park, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest etc. days if the total of both trips is more than 10 days.

KarenP
09-14-2007, 05:49 PM
You would have to book a new room only reservation then cancel your package. The problem is that packages and room only are booked in different departments of Disney, each with their own pool of rooms. Poly concierge will most likely not be available on a room only, let alone with an AP discount. You can always call Disney reservations and see. But I tend to agree with what Dizneyrocks advises.

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Tomorrow is my BD. We saw my parents last nite to celebrate. Knowing we would be returning to WDW a few times this year, and knowing what a difficult year we have had (my husband was treated for a benign brain tumor this year, then a subsequent brain aneurysm, he remains with a paralysed right eye)..they surprised me by telling me they ordered as AP's..so we don't have to worry about $$$, and knowing how important these trips are to our family. I'm thrilled and so touched., however, I'm so afraid of losing my ressie at the Poly since I need to turn it into a room only.. The Poly is the place that means home to us at WDW. What to do now?

DizneyRox
09-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Well you don't need to turn your res into a room only...

I'd save the tickets that come with your package. They only expire 14 day AFTER first use. So, you could save them for three years and go then. Just make sure you don't go and stick your room key in the turnstyles.

Or...

Upgrade your package tickets to AP, and save your parents AP tickets till next set of vacations.

It's a nice gift, and understand you don't want them to go to waste. You don't need to tell them when you use them. I'm sure the next set of vacations will be just as important as these, so it's the same difference.

Like others have said, you do run the risk of losing the room if you change it. It's a risk, everything might be OK or they may not have an room only rooms avai. Disney does this on most everything, for example, when you cann for dining and want a table for 4 to Le Cellier. They may have no 4 person tables available, but they might have 6 person tables. You will be told, "No, nothing available!" I'd imagine same holds true for rooms. If you really want your existing room category, keep it, don't risk changing the reservation.

Linnie
09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Another suggestion would be to just modify your reservation if you do not want to risk losing the room. You could modify it to just a one day pass per guest and still keep it as a package, then as someone else suggested just save those tickets for a future visit since you will have your AP's. Hope that makes sense.

Linnie

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Because the package is not paid off, I would prefer not to pay for any tickets, since we have them now. Thats the problem!

KarenP
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Because the package is not paid off, I would prefer not to pay for any tickets, since we have them now. Thats the problem!

Your only option then is to call Disney reservations and see if they have availability for your dates for a room only reservation.

Good luck!

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Whats the best way to do that? I'm a nervous wreck because during this stressful, sad year for us we kept thinking about our Thanksgiving trip to the POLY. It was our feel good place to think about reconnecting after this stressful year. Is one number better to call then another, or perhaps another way to go about it that I may not be aware of? I'm hoping for some Disney magic..I mean, the room is there for us, so its hard for me to understand that we perhaps can't have it now. :(

vamaggie
09-17-2007, 07:53 AM
I would do either 1) downgrade the tickets for your package to a base 1 day ticket and save them for when the APs expire. Yes you would have to pay for tickets you would not immediately use but it would a) make sure your ressie stays in tact and b) give you tickets for another trip at this years, lower price. OR 2) call Disney (DO NOT mention you already have a ressie) and ask about avialability of Poly consierge for your week. If they have availabilty, book it and then tell them to cancel the package. I would not cancel the package until I had a room only ressie #. Good Luck!

KarenP
09-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Whats the best way to do that? I'm a nervous wreck because during this stressful, sad year for us we kept thinking about our Thanksgiving trip to the POLY. It was our feel good place to think about reconnecting after this stressful year. Is one number better to call then another, or perhaps another way to go about it that I may not be aware of? I'm hoping for some Disney magic..I mean, the room is there for us, so its hard for me to understand that we perhaps can't have it now. :(

Just call Disney reservations, explain your situation and see what they can do for you.

mouseketeer mom
09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Just call Disney reservations, explain your situation and see what they can do for you.

I'm so scared to make the call. Here's why! What if the answer is no? Then where do we go, and I run the risk of disappointing my whole family. All of Adr's are planned around the Poly...including Thanksgiving breakfast and dinner. My head is spinning. I know I have to make the call, but I hope the answer is Yes, we can do that for you. Sometimes you get a great CM, sometimes you sure don't! I really don't know where to turn if they can't do this for us.:(

wendy*darling
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
You've gotten some good, sound advice here, as well as several options.

The longer you wait, the less likely you will be able to make the changes you want. And you're not going to get any answers that count until you pick up the phone, scary as that may be.

I'd call as soon as possible and discuss it.
But, as you have been advised, do not cancel anything until you have what you want.

mouseketeer mom
09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Ok. I'm calling today. But before I do so, anyone know if there is a better number to call than another to have a better chance of this happening?

Mickie the Pooh
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Honestly your very best bet is to call and just have your ticket downgrded to one day only per person, then don't use them, just keep the tickets and when your AP's come up for renewal use the one days as credit towards the AP renewal.
Yes it is a bit more then no tickets but you won't be losing it and you keep your package and room in tact.
You could call guest services and see what they can do , but people do this all the time and I doubt they will make an exception here.
I think what I suggested is your very best bet.

mouseketeer mom
09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! After toiling about this, I made the call tonight, got an AMAZING CM on the phone, explained myself, and within 15 minutes my package stay was turned into a room only!!!! He was amazing and I promptly got on the CM compliment line to praise him. He was reassuring and kind and careful and its done!!! Yea!!!

vamaggie
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
YEAHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm so glad you were able to work it out!!! Disney magic & pixie dust at it's best! Hope you have a great trip!!!!

Belle's Mom
09-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Congrats!! You sure are lucky! Have a great trip. The POLY is home and you're going there! I am a bit jealous though!:mickey: