PDA

View Full Version : worried about CROWDS 1st week of DECEMBER!

streudel423
09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Ok, we went over 10 years ago to Disney the first week of December and will be going the same time this year. I know it's Pop Warner week, but some people on here are freaking me out making it sound like that week is very popular. Anyone been around this time in the past few years? How was it? I'm just getting all paranoid that crowds will be horrible! We are going this time of year to avoid crowds and heat. What do you think? :confused:

FriendsofMickey
09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I have never been there at that time either. We are going 11/24-12/4 (first day in the park being 11/25).
I too have worried about the crowds. ... I got the unofficial guide and 12/1 has a 7 for crowd and a 6 for 12/2 (weekend). After that it drops down for 4,5 (and 6 on Wed??? for what ever reason).

FYI: a 5 says 45-54 minute wait for the most popular rides.

Not exactly the numbers I was hoping for, but not exactly horrible numbers either.
:xfingers: that we find the crowds lighter than we are hearing!

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-14-2007, 01:35 PM
We were there on our honeymoon last Dec 3-10ish... and it was EMPTY! I dont know if it was Pop Warner week last year too, but we have never had a problem with that week... We did find that the bus system from CBR was lousy, but i never stayed their before, so I have no idea if that was based on the week, but i doubt it, b/c the resort was fairly empty too...

Yensidfan
09-14-2007, 01:40 PM
There's usually a lull in between the thanksgiving and xmas crowds. I feel it's actually a good time to visit.

A Big Kid
09-14-2007, 01:41 PM
In my experience, it is one of the best times to go. It does not start getting busy for about a week and a half, and most of the Turkey day crowd has already left.

FatherForce
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
We did that week in 04 and the only crowds at were MVMCP and the Osbourne Lights.

Worry not.

Enjoy.

Strmchsr
09-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Crowds have increased considerably during that time since you were last there, but they still aren't awful. Of course, crowds are always in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the week after Thanksgiving and first week of December have become pretty popular, but they aren't unbearable, and certainly nothing like summer crowds. Expect an uptick 12/1 and 2 due to the Christmas Day parade taping. A lot of locals come in for that. Otherwise just use fastpass and you'll be fine.

Laura670
09-14-2007, 02:06 PM
My family was in Disney the first week in Dec 2005 and it wasn't crowded at all. You will have to deal with Pop Warner Cheerleaders ....you just have to learn to tune them out....they cheer alot through the parks. Anyway this is a great time of year to go we are actually going back this year Dec 9-16 Have a great trip:mickey:

tyandskyesmom
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
That is our favorite time to go and have been doing it for a few years now...however not this year. I don't think the point system on crowds is accurate because othwer than Soarin' we did not see any line longer than maybe 20 minutes...if that. Soarin' has always been crazy though! It is getting more and more busy at that time of the year but it is still a great time to visit crowd wise...stop worrying about that and enjoy the rest of your planning!!

109 more days!!!!

CosmicRay
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
We went once and heard someone mention Pop Warners was going on and we had no idea b/c the crowds were so low. I dont think you have much to worry about.

Marilyn Michetti
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
PLEASE, not to worry. Even tho' this time of the year is increasing the crowds, they're not even close to most other weeks. Disney is getting more crowded EVERY week.

About Pop Warner. They're there to compete. Not all of them are ever in the parks at the same time. They have rehearsal, and scheduled events. The ones that are in the parks are no different than any other group of kids that age. They have chaperones, and have been warned to be on their best behavior, but can get a little boisterous and loud, just like any group of kids. I've never seen more than 6 - 10 together.

I promise on my "little old lady" best oath, that you're not going to be offended by the kids any more than you will be by any other group.

The crowds??? What can I say??? They're not bad at all - some of the lowest of the year. Combine that with the lights, music, special events, and even "snow" on Main St., and that's my idea of perfect. I can honestly say that we've never stood in a line more than 20 min., and hardly ever that. The weather is very un-predictable, from 80's to 30's, but we're from Az., so 50 degrees out, and we light a fire.:cloud9:

Again, PLEASE don't fret none. I think you're going at the most perfect time. Oh, but do stay away from Main St. on Dec. 1st - that's when they will be filming the Christmas Day parade.

princessM0m
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
We were there last year Dec. 2 - 9 and we had no problems. We visted all 4 parks, some of them on multiple occasions, and saw cheerleaders maybe twice. Lines were not long as others have already said. Use FP for the most popular rides and you will be fine. I would not hesitate visiting again during this same week. Be sure to see all the Christmas stuff!

mermaidmarian
09-14-2007, 02:59 PM
We were there the first week of December in 2005 and didn't consider crowds to be a factor at all. We are typically May visitors, and I would say that the crowds were slightly less than what I have come to expect at the end of April/beginning of May.

I do always think these things are relative though - attendance is up over the years, so you will probably think it is a bit busier than you recall during your last trip. Conversely, someone who visits during high season would think crowd levels pretty low, comparatively speaking.

Daisy'sMom
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
We usually go every weekend in December and I have never found the first two weeks that busy. It is usually delightful. Have fun!:mickey:

disneycouple2004
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Crowds have increased considerably during that time since you were last there, but they still aren't awful. Of course, crowds are always in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the week after Thanksgiving and first week of December have become pretty popular, but they aren't unbearable, and certainly nothing like summer crowds. Expect an uptick 12/1 and 2 due to the Christmas Day parade taping. A lot of locals come in for that. Otherwise just use fastpass and you'll be fine.

:ditto::exactly:

Excellent info !!:thumbsup:

LoriMistress
09-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Around 12/3 until 12/8 the parks will gradually get more crowded (but it won't be packed); just a bit more people then normally. As long as you plan your vacation accordingly you won't have any issues with POP WARNER crowd.

caubert
09-14-2007, 10:25 PM
We went this past year Dec. 2007 during pop warner and it was not an issue at all. We didn't even notice them in the parks, only at the resort (Riverside) and they didn't bother us at all. Crowds were low and the weather was great.
caubert

rt207
09-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I've been during the 1st week of December and the 2nd week of December. Both were GREAT. Crowds are low. I'd say the 1st week was lower than the second week, but it was my very first trip when I was there for the first week (2003), so I can't say if it is still that low now...

LisRich
09-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I was in the same boat - having been to WDW first week in December in 1993 (w/my now 18 year old son) and then not again until last December 1-6, 2006 w/DS4. Don't let to much info/opinions scare you about this time to visit - the input on this thread is accurate in my experience. Our trip last December was wonderful - "crowded" is subjective depending on who is rating but we saw/did all the things we wanted to and did not feel at all overwhelmed by the crowds. Do take advantage of FastPass for the big attractions - it's a great time saver! Enjoy your trip!