PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Tea

mpoppinsgirl
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I know that none of the dining facilities inside Disney World serve sweet tea but, there is a McDonalds as you are going in to the parks. Does anyone know if they have sweet tea? We are going in december and staying for nine days...I cant go that long without sweet tea.:deer:

TheRustyScupper
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
The only sweet tea in/near is when you open a white or pink packet at the table.

Tinkerkel
09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure we had sweet tea both times we had supper at Liberty Tree Tavern. I don't remember adding the sugar myself. Maybe I told our server & they added it for me while the tea was still hot:blush:

Lorraine444
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Wulf Gang Express Downtown Disney has sweet tea, a mago flavored one.

Tygger7
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
The only sweet tea in/near is when you open a white or pink packet at the table.

I think most sweet tea addicts (like myself) will agree....not even close. First, you can't ever get all the sugar to dissolve cause the tea is cold when you put it in. Second, there's never enough packets...I need at least 15 per glass. :D

If you guys find a place that does serve true sweet tea, let me know!!

TexasPrincessAurora
09-14-2007, 01:03 PM
The McDonald's near the Animal Kingdom does in fact have sweet tea.

Also, Trail's End at Ft. Wilderness has sweet tea as well...very good.

I don't remember anywhere else on property having real sweet tea...and I'm very much one of those Southerners who, if I can get real sweet tea, that's what I'm ordering to drink.

Tinkerfreak
09-14-2007, 01:10 PM
We had some sweet tea at the McDonalds at DD. At least I think it was sweet tea. It was allready sweetened and I do mean sweetened. We don't have sweet tea here in Maine so I am not a good judge of real sweet tea but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Strmchsr
09-14-2007, 01:16 PM
See. This just proves what I've said all along - Florida is not a real Southern state. No true Southern state would be lacking in sweet tea. I think the South ends at the GA/AL/FL boarder and FL in some sort of weird breakdown of the time/space continuum where it loops back above the Mason-Dixen line. :D Either that, or all the carpetbaggers that got kicked out of the other Southern states ended up in Florida.

tinkerbell04
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
The mango tea at Wolfgangs is great, but it isn't sweetened. The Columbia Harbor House offers sweet tea and it is great as well.

AvonleaCF
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Alright, I'll be the one to ask: what, exactly, is sweet tea?

Up here in the North we have tea and iced tea. If you order tea in a restaurant they give you a cup of boiling water and a tea bag.

If you ask for iced tea it's usually unsweetened, but sometimes it's something like Nestea from a fountain, which is sweet (and tastes like chemicals if you ask me).

Is sweet tea different?

Strmchsr
09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Alright, I'll be the one to ask: what, exactly, is sweet tea?

Sweet tea can't be explained. Only experienced. :D

Seriously, the difference is that the sugar is added in while the tea is being made (while it's hot) then you drink it cold, over ice. Adding the sugar in while the tea is being made makes a HUGE difference vs. adding in those little packets at the table. The tea tastes completely different. Everyone has their own unique way of making it and some are better than others.

It's too hot down here to do hot tea too often, so we definitely prefer it iced. Oh, and that Nestea stuff out of the fountain is :sick: Definitely not what we consider sweet tea. You know you're in a good Southern restaurant when you order tea and they don't even ask. They just bring you sweet tea. :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
OK - I never say anthing when this subject comes up but let me add my :twocents: I know I am from CT and that sweet tea is a southern phenonena (and tastes phenominal)however...the only kind of tea I knew growing up as a child was sweet tea and the only kind I make is sweet tea. Now I am unsure why I grew up learning how to make ice tea this way but even though I am from CT it is the only thing I know. We don't drink ice tea out. I make freash batches all the time and we go through it fast. My aunt who taught me how to make it when I was young used to make a version with fresh lemons added. So for all of you who love ice tea, regardless of which part of the US or world you live in I recommend you make a batch and try it. You will never want the otc type again. :mickey:

WinnieThePooh
09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I live up here north, but I love my sweet tea. I make a pitcher everyday of it. I was at Garden Grill at Epoct Land Pavillion last September and they did have sweet tea!! I was so surprised, and I think I drank 6 glasses of it !! The waitress told us then, that not very many restaurants had it, but they did!

We will be at Disney World next week, but our plans don't have us going to Epcot. BUMMER

We stayed at POPS last year, and I "made" my sweet tea there (in the food court) by starting with a little hot water and melting my sugar then put ice in my refillable mug and then filled it up half way stirred it good and then fulled it up the rest of the way.

Alot of work, but so worth it.

mpoppinsgirl
09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Thank you all so much. We are going to be eating at both the garden grill and liberty tree tavern. YAY!!! When we were there last year we went to the Concourse steakhouse and the waiter there told me that they did not serve sweet tea anywhere on disney property..:( It seems like that was all I wanted after that. I thought we could at least check out that McDonalds this year since its only $1 for a huge glass....yummm. As soon as we left last year we went straight to the cracker barrel (they serve sweet tea no matter where they are located in the US) Anyway, thanks...I am a true Southern girl and I have to have my sweet tea...If I had to go nine days without it...I think I would die!!

TexasPrincessAurora
09-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Just so you won't be surprised when you go...the McDonald's on Disney property doesn't have the same prices as all other McDonald's. Their sweet tea is the same price as their sodas...they don't have the $1 special. They don't have a $1 menu at all actually. Just expect higher prices.

sillyolbear
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM
My wife and I were surprised on our last trip at the number of places at WDW that are now serving brewed sweet tea.

magicofdisney
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Rainforest Cafe at AK has delicious sweet tea. Just had some in June '07! :tasty:

IloveDisney71
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
My husband will be sooooo... happy to have a glass of sweet tea at Liberty Tree Tavern! He can't go a day without a sweet tea. :) I love it too, but can't have the caffine so I only have it once in a while.

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2007, 12:59 AM
1) Nice to hear you folks found sweet tea.
2) I know others who were looking for it.
3) I had never seen or heard of it at WDW.

NOTE: I enjoy sweet tea far greater than non-sweetened or sugar-sweetened tea. We make it at home using "simple syrup.

Jared
09-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Is Snapple considered a commercial sweet tea? Living in the northeast, I'm accustomed to regular hot tea and unsweetened iced tea. Snapple flavored iced teas are the sweetest teas I've ever drank.

Sorry if I offended any true sweet tea fanatics. Comparing real sweet tea to Snapple is probably similar to comparing New York pizza to Domino's.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Snapple iced tea isn't much better than the Nestea sweetened tea that comes out of the drink dispensers. There just isn't anything like fresh brewed sweet tea...there's nothing to compare it to.

mpoppinsgirl
09-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Snapple is ok...nothing is like home made sweet tea though. It is impossible to get that flavor in a bottle. I am really excited to know that sweet tea will be available...YAY!!:cloud9: It makes my trip sound even better.

Goofy Dad 13
09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Add Cosmic Rays to the list of places you can get sweet tea. When we went in August, we could not get it at Liberty Tree for dinner.

tinkerbell04
09-17-2007, 06:04 PM
When we went in August, we could not get it at Liberty Tree for dinner

When we dined at LTT for dinner in June, we ordered iced tea and regular unsweeteed tea was served. I don't know if it was available in June, but we weren't given a choice of sweet or unsweet, so I would think that it wasn't.:mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
09-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't know if they've had it in the past, but the last few trips we've eaten dinner at LTT and they only had unsweetened tea.

Stan
09-17-2007, 11:20 PM
OK guys you've hit on a lifelong pet peeve of mine. I absolutely agree that 1) sweet tea is the absolute best beverage- when it's right nothing else comes close- hot weather or cold, thirsty or not, and 2) the alternatives like raspberry tea, Snapple, or canned Nestea are _____ but sometimes that's all you can do... or just order a cola. :(

I finally got to where I wasn't surprised or offended at casual or family style restaurants that didn't serve sweet tea (esp all those years in OH and PA), but whenever I go to any kind of barbeque or southern home cooking type place that doesn't, I've always said, "then you aren't really BBQ", or "any BBQ place in TX that didn't have sweet tea would close its doors the first day". I have observed that I'm encountering this less and less these days- maybe McDonalds finally "broke the ice" on this issue for us?

However, the most _____ and ______ statement from a server is "our tea is unsweetened, but there's sugar on the table", like ___... I didn't see it there, how silly of me to ask for the tea to already be sweet... Almost as bad is to offer raspberry or peach or onion flavor as a substitute.

Gee whiz, I seem to have written an overly strong post, and now I feel the need to go back and soften it a bit before saying "submit". Those of you as passionate as I am about your sweet tea will have to use your imaginations about how it read the first time... :-o

mpoppinsgirl
09-18-2007, 06:32 AM
I think that we have decided to take a gallon or two of sweet tea with us and just keep it in our room. That way we know for sure that we will have some sweet tea. I was very surprised last year when I went and there was no sweet tea. Its the happiest place on earth.....without sweet tea?????;)Its cool though....It was still a great trip and it will be even better this time!!:mickey:

DizNee143
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
ok im still really confused on what sweet tea is!
is it even tea? or just water with tons of sugar in it?
i wouldnt mind trying it one day..but i dont exactly know what i would be drinking..
if its just water with sugar...thats weird..i rather have a soda!

TexasPrincessAurora
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Sweet tea is brewed black tea that is sweetened with sugar while still hot and then served over ice. Hope this helps!

floridamom
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
See. This just proves what I've said all along - Florida is not a real Southern state. No true Southern state would be lacking in sweet tea. I think the South ends at the GA/AL/FL boarder and FL in some sort of weird breakdown of the time/space continuum where it loops back above the Mason-Dixen line. :D Either that, or all the carpetbaggers that got kicked out of the other Southern states ended up in Florida.

We live in the Tampa area and most of the TS restaurants here do indeed serve sweet tea.

For those who are considering bringing/purchasing sweet tea to store in their room refrigerators: Publix is our local supermarket chain, and they sell fresh brewed gallon and half-gallon jugs of sweet tea in their deli section. It's VERY sweet. :mickey:

DizNee143
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Sweet tea is brewed black tea that is sweetened with sugar while still hot and then served over ice. Hope this helps!

thank you!! makes sense now..
ill have to try it one day!! :mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Just FYI, if you order groceries from GardenGrocer they do their shopping at Publix (or did with our order in June). You can get the gallon jugs of sweet tea through them...it was really good, but really, really sweet.

AvonleaCF
09-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't think I'd like sweet tea much. I prefer my iced tea unsweetened (I don't like to consume too much sugar in general though).

Stan
09-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Since the amount of sugar in good sweet tea seems to be an issue here, I'd like to point out that soft drinks like Coke have something like 10 or 12 tsp of sugar per can, and it seems to me that a cup or 2 of sugar per gallon (my ratio for homemade tea) is at least no worse. Not that soft drinks are good for you...

If I've got my proportions wrong, please offer a correction. I was too lazy to convert cups/gallon to tsp/cup to nail down the comparison ... and I'm an engineer. :blush:

magicofdisney
09-20-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm a southern gal and grew up on sweet tea. Is there such a thing as too sweet? My grandma is telling me, "NO Way!" As delicious as it is, I have to agree it's no worse than sodas (maybe less so since it doesn't require preservatives for freshness-heck, who can keep it around long enough for it to go bad?) I second the notion the Publix has AWESOME sweet tea. It's very refreshing to have back at the room after a long, hot day in the parks. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-20-2007, 04:27 PM
As a Canadian girl, I never understood what "sweet tea" was, just that DD, who is a huge ice tea (nestea up here) fan didn't like it!

It actually sounds like it would be quite tasty, DD aside, I will have to try some on my next trip.

illini
09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Since the amount of sugar in good sweet tea seems to be an issue here, I'd like to point out that soft drinks like Coke have something like 10 or 12 tsp of sugar per can, and it seems to me that a cup or 2 of sugar per gallon (my ratio for homemade tea) is at least no worse. Not that soft drinks are good for you...

If I've got my proportions wrong, please offer a correction. I was too lazy to convert cups/gallon to tsp/cup to nail down the comparison ... and I'm an engineer. :blush:

48 teaspoons in a cup, so less than soda if you're using 1 cup per gallon of tea. BUT soda is usually made with high fructose corn syrup which is even worse for you than regular old sugar.

Either way, I'm not a native Texan and only like some lemon in my iced tea. Everyone around me gulps down sweet tea by the gallon, though.

ncscgirl2005
09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Sorry if I offended any true sweet tea fanatics. Comparing real sweet tea to Snapple is probably similar to comparing New York pizza to Domino's.

You got that right. There is NO comparison. We tried to get some at the Plaza restauarant in MK but to no avail. I don't drink it all the time but there are certain meals that I HAVE to my sweet tea with. McDonalds has great sweet tea.

Tigerlilly
09-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Publix sweet tea is OMG sweet. Like whoa sweet.

On any given day you will see 2 pitchers of tea in my fridge. I make my own, decaf sweetened with splenda. I make 2 gallons at a time and put 3/4ths of a cup of splenda in it. That is plenty sweet for me and I like a lot of lemon with my tea.
My husband thinks I do not put anywhere near enough sugar in mine so he buys the publix which is just grossly sweet to me.

But the best tea in the whole world is made by my Grandmother who lives around the block from me. If I have had a bad day or just really want a good glass of tea, Thats the table you will see me at!

Adding sugar to already iced tea is not Sweet Iced tea. Its tea with sugar in it. It just doesnt work, all the sugar settles at the bottom. You HAVE to add it while its hot!:D

pixiesmimi
09-22-2007, 12:43 AM

AMEN! We used to not have to ask anywhere in the south but with all of our travels, we have about decided that our native state of Arkansas is the only place where we don't have to ask any more. My DH always asks at the WDW restaurants and they just look at us funny. So we order something else because we definately don't drink unsweetened. :ack:

Thank you all so much. We are going to be eating at both the garden grill and liberty tree tavern. YAY!!! When we were there last year we went to the Concourse steakhouse and the waiter there told me that they did not serve sweet tea anywhere on disney property..:( It seems like that was all I wanted after that. I thought we could at least check out that McDonalds this year since its only $1 for a huge glass....yummm. As soon as we left last year we went straight to the cracker barrel (they serve sweet tea no matter where they are located in the US) Anyway, thanks...I am a true Southern girl and I have to have my sweet tea...If I had to go nine days without it...I think I would die!!

Not quiet true. We have been at several Cracker Barrels that didn't have sweet tea. :scratch: I know, I know... but when they were first putting them in up north, we went to one in Wisconsin and got the same response as we do at WDW. My DH said "You are a Cracker Barrel, aren't you?" The server just stared at us. How can you represent yourself as a southern/country restaurant if you don't know what sweet tea is? :confused:

Anyway, we didn't find sweet tea anywhere in the parks.