PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT Center

Cozfamilyof6
09-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I just found a mug in the back of the closet, must be from the mid 80's. The logo was EPCOT Center. Why/when was the name changed to just EPCOT?

Scar
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM

The theme park was originally known as EPCOT Center to reflect the fact that the park was built to embody the ideals and values of EPCOT the city. In 1994, the name was changed to Epcot '94 and subsequently Epcot '95 a year later. By 1996, the park was known simply as Epcot, a non-acronym, mixed-case word, as the park no longer reflected Walt Disney's plans for a futuristic city. However, in recent months due to the upcoming 25th anniversary of the park's opening, signs reading the original name EPCOT Center have begun to be incorporated into the park announcing a soon to be name change. It is probable that it will take place at the rededication of EPCOT Center on October 1, 2007. New attractions such as "Project Tomorrow" make the name appropriate due to the reflection of Walt Disney's original EPCOT vision.

SBETigg
09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
There are also some retro EPCOT Center shirts being sold in the park now. It's pretty fun to see them, but I didn't buy one. Is Epcot really going back to EPCOT Center, do you think? I thought it was just reflections on the past for the upcomng celebration.

Cozfamilyof6
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Scar---thanks. Interesting info. What's old is new again.;)