PDA

View Full Version : Riding the refurbished HM [Merged]

WDWdriver
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
There is currently a thread in the News & Rumors forum that broadly outlines the changes in the Haunted Mansion attraction. Go there if you want to avoid any spoilers. I rode it today and can provide some details.

Warning! Spoiler alert.

1) The whole mansion has a nice fresh look, inside and out.

2) The new audio in the stretching room and along the ride path is very good.

3) There is an addition to the end of the stretching room audio - basically telling you to move ahead and stay together.

3) The spiders are gone. Instead there are stairways to nowhere on either side of the ride path. Ghostly green footprints appear on the steps as you pass.

4) In the seance scene Madame Leota's talking head now appears in a sphere that floats high above the table where her head used to sit.

5) The ballroom has been nicely refreshed. The hearse outside the ballroom door is much more visible, and there is much more color throughout the ballroom. There is a new ghostly couple sitting on the chandelier, and the female is holding a rose.

6) The attic has been completely redone. You pass a series of portraits showing a bride and her new husband, only he fades away to nothing by the last portrait. Finally, you encounter the bride. She is shown in much more detail than the previous bride - dressed in a bluish gown. She is now on the LEFT side of the ride path.

7) The graveyard scene is mostly unchanged, just refreshed. It seemed to me that the hidden mickey in the ghoul's hand is now gone. Someone else can verify that perhaps.

Overall, the results are excellent. The Haunted Mansion has long been my favorite ride. And now it is better than ever.

Christine
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Excellent! Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear that it seems to be a definite improvement!

iheartmickey
09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to ride it on our next trip! :mickey:

grego77
09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
sounds EXACTLY like Disneyland's version...which makes sense! :mickey:

...can't wait to ride it next month!

MartyS
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Just talking to my DD, she's in the employee parking lot @ MK by her car watching Wishes(says it is a great view from there) she got off @ 8:15 and went straight to HM after changing, and the ride was down for technical difficulties, so she didn't get to ride tonight. She did, however, get to see the MNSSHP parade preview for CM's last night after park closing, she said it was very cool. MK was a little more crowded today, maybe because of HM opening. I was hoping I could get her first impression of the refurbs, but maybe tomorrow.

SBETigg
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
sounds EXACTLY like Disneyland's version...which makes sense! :mickey:

...can't wait to ride it next month!

Actually the staircase scene is supposedly unique to the WDW HM, but other touches may be like at DL. At any rate, it sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see it. But it will be awhile for me.

disneydeb
09-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm too excited to sleep!

Vintage Disney
09-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the report on the new HM! I am so excited about HM and MNSSHP!! 6 weeks, 1 day, I can't wait!!:coaster:

LovinWDW
09-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the report on the new HM! I am so excited about HM and MNSSHP!! 6 weeks, 1 day, I can't wait!!:coaster:

We are also waiting for 6 weeks and 1 day. we arrive on the 26th of Oct. See you there. I'll be the one wearing the Mickey shirt:D

Princess Maggie
09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Since they worked on attraction, did they finally get rid of those tight turnstiles?? That just might be the best improvement...:secret:

Will be there in 28 days!! :mickey:

DDuck66
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks...anyone know if the hidden Donald is still there.
I will be there on Saturday morning (9/15). I can't wait...

jpH/keD
09-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the updates! I went once when I was 10 and then again in '05 with my kids! I dont remember all these details but we are going back in Nov. post Halloween but I cannot wait to see the rehab! I also saw somewhere that it has a brand new red awning over the queue area before you enter the mansion! Come on Nov 16th!:mickey:

murphy1
09-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Wow, thanks so much that sounds great!! I hope it's not too fresh! I hated to read b/c I love surprises but with the two girls, I wanted to make sure it wasn't too scary. Do they still have the shriekers popping their heads up in the attic?? I still don't like that LOL. The bride sounds more Corpse Bride-ish.

Also, how is getting into the Dooms? It was tight there before, has that been alieviated?

#1donaldfan
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I CAN'T WAIT.....had to miss it this year during it's refurb.........next year....!!!!

krorx
09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I wanna go soooo bad! :(

CosmicRay
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
My friend called me today and said she just rode the HM and said how it looks great. I can't wait to go in 84 days!!!!

Crow
09-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Im waiting for Friday (Sept 21) to see it the day I arrive! it will make up a little for SE being down for its rehab..

mttafire
09-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info!!! We wont be able to get back to Disney till 2010. Its nice to hear the the "new" H.M. is and sounds teriffic.!!:thumbsup::mickey:

lindique
09-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks...anyone know if the hidden Donald is still there.

Can you please explain about the hidden Donald? I'd like to try to find in on my next trip. Thanks!

mouseketeer mom
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much! I'm reading your post on a gloomy, rainy, NJ morning...I'm longing to ride on the new HM!

Daisy'sMom
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
We were planning on driving over for the day so we could do the Haunted Mansion but since we are spending a few days there starting
Oct 3, we decided to wait. Now I wish we had dropped the dog off at sister's and gone.

laward32
09-15-2007, 10:23 AM
We are also waiting for 6 weeks and 1 day. we arrive on the 26th of Oct. See you there. I'll be the one wearing the Mickey shirt:D

My girls and I also arrive on Oct 26th. I also will be wearing a Mickey shirt. Can't wait, it's still too far away.:mickey: Can't wait to see the refurbed HM.

magicofdisney
09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
We were there for Passholder Preview on Friday morning. It was down initially for technical difficulties. We came back after a couple of rides in Fantasyland.

The stretching room looks awesome. It was in bad need of repair.
My kids noticed the cobwebs looked different.
The bride is much spookier.
Then endless staircase was neat.
Overall it had an eerier feel to it. I thought my kids my actually be a little scared, but they seemed to enjoy it.

delusionalstitch
09-15-2007, 02:33 PM
There is one other change I noticed that was not mentioned.

They added a window and lightning effect in the first room that has the pictures where the eyes follow your doom buggy and when the lightning strikes the pictures change.

Over all all the changes are awsome

DNS
09-15-2007, 02:43 PM
This sounds terrific. Just improving quality and added a few enhancements. I'm glad they didn't try to change a lot. I can't wait to see it in a few weeks. :yay:

magicofdisney
09-15-2007, 03:27 PM
There is one other change I noticed that was not mentioned.

They added a window and lightning effect in the first room that has the pictures where the eyes follow your doom buggy and when the lightning strikes the pictures change.

Over all all the changes are awsome
After I posted, I remembered that scene. The lighting scared the bejeegers out of my youngest. I wasn't prepared for it so I didn't prepare him either. It's a great effect, though. :mickey:

delusionalstitch
09-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I rode it twice on 9-14 the first time the ride was flawless execpt for the ride stopping right outside the attic. I assumed it was the normal someone with a wheel chair needed to get on. Which was ok.

However it appears they may be having some issues with the new audio tracks. The second time we rode it the audio from the Ghost Host was cutting in and out. We Though it was just our car at first. When we mention it to a Cast Member he said was on all of the cars.

Hopefull they get all the bugs worked out on it. However the ride was great

stephntampa
09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I was there on Friday and thought the refurb was FANTASTIC. . Waiting to enter the HM the grave of the master of the house appeared to be a freshly dug. I thought the telling of the story makes more sense now. I noticed the wolf wasn't howling, though.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
We rode it today... awesome! Yay for the passholder thingy... that made it a bearable wait.

But the wait was worth it regardless.

LOOOOVED IT.

rnin02
09-15-2007, 08:02 PM
We rode it opening morning before the plane home...lots and lots of people waiting, and almost a mob scene at first. And I thought it was funny, one guy complaining about everyone being in line "its just like the one in Disneyland people", then why are you in line?? :thumbsup: Anyway...it was great!! It seemed like there were a lot more details, I don't think we were able to catch everything in the attic scene, even after riding 2x. And it seemed like more ghosts in the graveyard, but maybe I just don't remember it correctly. But it was great!!

magicofdisney
09-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I was there on Friday and thought the refurb was FANTASTIC. . Waiting to enter the HM the grave of the master of the house appeared to be a freshly dug. I thought the telling of the story makes more sense now. I noticed the wolf wasn't howling, though.Did the grave still have the fresh flowers on it? I thought that was a nice touch.

My girls also asked why we weren't hearing the howling. I hope that's not permanent.

medic9016
09-15-2007, 09:29 PM
There is a good video on youtube of the new effects, the sound is not that great though. I think this will be our fisrt ride when we get threre nex Sunday.

Zippy_D_DooDah
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Did the grave still have the fresh flowers on it? I thought that was a nice touch.

Yes! Fresh roses on a freshly dug grave and one on the headstone. We rode it twice on Friday before leaving for home. Got to bypass the big line with the AP (Thank Goodness). The staircase scene reminded me of M.C. Escher's "Relativity".... and as I check wikipedia, yes, it's already on there - a mention of WDW's Haunted Mansion... that didn't take long. For those who read Kingdom Keepers, didn't they say Walt was a fan of Escher? The author even went so far as to create Escher's Keep in the castle.

KellAnneL
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
I rode it last night, and it was AWESOME! Definite changes. But, I loved it before the refurb and love it even more now! I think just about every one will agree it brought it up to the present. (so to speak.)

kellie

MushuGrl
09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
LOVED IT!!! Rode it three times!

Did the shadow of the skeleton hand always pass in front of the clock and I not notice or was that new too? Don't remember that before.

Got a GREAT pic of Master's grave I'll have to post when I get my pics downloaded. Noticed Leota had a fresh flower on her grave too.

mousetrapper
09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
LOVED IT!!! Rode it three times!

Did the shadow of the skeleton hand always pass in front of the clock and I not notice or was that new too? Don't remember that before.

Got a GREAT pic of Master's grave I'll have to post when I get my pics downloaded. Noticed Leota had a fresh flower on her grave too.

Yes, the shadow of the hand has always been there.

Can't wait to experience the new HM! Two months and counting! I love the touch of the newly dug master's grave...

:D

Crystal Palace
09-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Can't wait to see it! So excited!!!

11 more days!!!!!:minnie::mjump::ccat::goofy::donald::male f::dumbo:

jkj1224
09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Got to check it out....completely awesome, can't wait for everyone to see it! :number1:

TracyL
09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Actually, Master Gracey's grave always looks freshly dug, although I don't think they were sprucing it daily as they probably will be now for at least a few months. There is also usually a single rose on his grave. Currently there are several (if I had to guess, I'd guess 13, but it may not be that many) as well as the one on the headstone.

We went for the AP line bypass on Saturday.

I agree with previous posters that the whole attraction is much improved -- everything is nicely freshened up and "dusted" (with fresh dust!). They were really packing us into the stretching room, and as it happened the timing for us was such that we literally went from outside, past the portrait and into the stretching room without any pause.

The sound in the stretching room is hugely improved. There have always been multiple speakers in the room, to make it seem like the Ghost Host was moving around, but the effect is about a zillion times better now, with clearer and better sound quality and many added effects.

I believe the lightning portraits exist at DLR, but they are a very fresh feature here at WDW and are highly effective - not to mention a bit scary. If you have very young kids, keep in mind that this new version of the attraction is a bit more macabre than the old version, and could be frightening for little ones.

The spiders are SO gone -- and I SO do not miss them. That effect was lame on day one and did not age well. The staircase replacement is fantastic -- gives an impression of the space being enormous and disorienting.

One more fun touch nobody has mentioned -- as you transition to the space where the spooky-eye wallpaper is, there are some lighted spooky eyes that seem to just hang in the darkness, and fade into the wallpaper pattern. You end up expecting the wallpaper to blink.

The "hidden donald" (which some CMs argue does not exist) is one of the antique chairs. There are a number of ornate upholstered chairs in the various rooms, with blood-red velvet upholstery embroidered on the back with something that looks faintly like an angry tiki face. One of them looks for all the world like a slighly demonic Donald, complete with the sailor hat. Look closely at the chair in the library, then watch for another similar chair further on. The second one is the hidden Donald.

I believe the hidden Mickey in the grim reaper lantern is still there, although perhaps less obvious. And of course the place setting on the left end of the ballroom dining table is still set with an extra bread plate. :)

Generally, all the ghost effects are a ton better than they ever were before. Clearer, more colorful, but still ghostly.

The attic reminds me of Phantom Manor at DLP -- anyone else been to Paris recently enough to describe how they remember that attraction? (I was there in 1995.) The bride is way more creepy than she was before, and the graveyard is as well. Far fewer pop-up spooks, but that makes the effect work better because you're not expecting them when they do appear. They are themselves a little creepier-looking, too.

OK, I think that's enough spoilers for now. My jaw hung open for most of the ride -- it's a HUGE, HUGE! improvement on one of my all-time favorite attractions, while still being very true to the original. Two thumbs way up!

snifflesmcg
09-18-2007, 02:04 AM
I was at the MK opening day of the HM and it was well worth the wait.

The OP hit it "dead" on with the description. HM is awsome!

handmaidenofprincesses
09-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The staircase scene reminded me of M.C. Escher's "Relativity".... and as I check wikipedia, yes, it's already on there - a mention of WDW's Haunted Mansion... that didn't take long. For those who read Kingdom Keepers, didn't they say Walt was a fan of Escher? The author even went so far as to create Escher's Keep in the castle.
Yea, they did! Wouldn't it be neat if there was a real Escher's keep? lol

REV
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I may have missed the topic, but I have seen some new video from the update of the Haunted mansion and the sound and new affects look great, they did a fantastic job as far as the videos show. Has anyone riden it yet and was it scarier?
:thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I just got back so I missed the discussion too. It's not scarier, per se. They removed the popping ghosts, but the overall premise of the ride is a bit creepier. I think younger kids might not be as scared except for the "surprise" in the stretching room.

The effects are really fantastic, I think. Especially the sounds in the stretching room. I only got to go through it once, so I'm trying to remember the attic scene and what it meant. But, it was a bit macabre. I'll have to look at a video or read the dicussion to remember.

ariel03
09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
The haunted mansion is basically still the same with little changes. There still are the popping ghosts as it startled my mom when we rode. I did notice that they added a netting in the graveyard sence between you and the ghost props. The new stair and leota scences are fabulous. The new bride is scary especially if you ride it at night. It is very ghostly and real looking. The sound is alot better then before and the lightning windows look great too. We rode it the first day it opened on Sept. 13th at about noon. Only had to wait about a half hour.:thumbsup:

tkerbow
09-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I really liked the refurbishment. I rode it twice last weekend and was happy with it. The attic scene is cool with all the twisty staircases, but it reminded me of Hogwarts! I loved the glowing footsteps on the underside of the stairs. When the steps got to the bottom, the candels blew out! It was also interesting that they got rid of the suicide theme out the window. Now the ghost is standing there with an axe. When you go "out the window" or down backwards, you can still see the window to your right. TIP: When you leave the stretching room, hang out and be one of the last people out so you can hear the children whispering. Creepy...:ghost:

Figment!
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I may have missed the topic, but I have seen some new video from the update of the Haunted mansion and the sound and new affects look great, they did a fantastic job as far as the videos show. Has anyone riden it yet and was it scarier?
:thumbsup:Reviews and Discussion are on going in Riding the refurbished HM (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115586) :thumbsup:

garthbarth1
09-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Can someone refresh my memory about the suicide theme in the window? Thanks!

luvdiznee
09-20-2007, 07:02 PM
:mickey:This is great info. Especially that we will be on it in about a week, while attending MNSSHP!

ryca1dreams
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Okay, I'll bring this discussion back to the top. What's the deal with the bride. I only rode it once so I'm trying to remember. In a portrait (I believe) she was with her headless husband and something or someone said "til death do us part". Did she kill him? Does that correlate with the tomb at the exit outside the HM where the last bride got the Master?

Also, just a comment, but the hanging skeleton in the stretching room actually looks like a skeleton now.

I wish I had jumped in line again.

devoted93
09-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I went on it twice on Wednesday and I concur with the others - the change is FANTASTIC. Very subtle in some places, very drastic in others, but the feel remains the same throughout. I'm very impressed.

LibertyTreeGal
09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow, it really sounds like they did even more than in the DL version. Having recently seen it, I am looking forward to comparing the two.

MushuGrl
09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
ryca1dreams:

Yep, she killed all her husbands! When she says the line "you may now kiss the bride," she lifts a hatchet. I wondered myself if it had anything to do with the tomb at the exit too! Does anybody know that?

I didn't notice until our third trip too that if you pay REAL close attention in the photos you can see the dead husband's face. I called my sister crazy our first two trips - third trip I saw it. Or went crazy myself. Bwahaha. It WAS at the MNSSHP and we WERE waterlogged....

DisneyDudet
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I didn't notice until our third trip too that if you pay REAL close attention in the photos you can see the dead husband's face. I called my sister crazy our first two trips - third trip I saw it. Or went crazy myself. Bwahaha. It WAS at the MNSSHP and we WERE waterlogged....

No, you aren't crazy! The picture fades into a headless man. The timing of the fading (same with the ax) makes it difficult to see, as you probably have gone by too fast. I was lucky to see this effect at DLR.

And in reference to the suicide thought:
It was thought that the bride killed herself, but jumping out the window, which is why you are moving backwards into the graveyard (sense of falling).

Darbylew
09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the information. We are going to
be there November 9 and are looking forward to
riding MH. Can't wait to see the changes. :mickey:

Pagan
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Absolutely LOVED it! I was worried about it when I heard about the refurbishment, and was hoping against all hope that Eddie Murphy wasn't going to pop in!

My favorite room was the attic with the bride. MUCH creepier than it was!

They took an amazing attraction and made it so much better!

Spaceship Tigger
09-25-2007, 07:11 AM
I thought the new mansion was great - especially the new stair room and the new bride/attic area. I would love to have ridden it more than once, but my three year old was a bit scared by it!

Main Street Jim
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Two words: OUT and STANDING. :D:thumbsup:

Rode it on Friday the 14th and the line was all the way out past Columbia Harbour House, with the entire queue set up, wrapped in out through the old FastPass kiosk location, then in and out in front of Yankee Trader, then...*whew* - once we got under the canopy, in and out along the whole thing. Posted wait time was 30 minutes when we first got in line, but we were in the foyer in about 15 minutes. Thing about HM lines: the actual wait time is usually a LOT shorter than what's posted - it's a constantly loading/moving attraction. Don't let the (posted) wait time scare you...LOLOLOL...

Anyways...we LOVED the new look. Everyone here has already posted the updates, how good everything is, etc., so I won't get into all that. But it's a LOT better than what it was, and it was a great attraction before the refurb. ;)

mousetrapper
10-11-2007, 07:37 AM
And in reference to the suicide thought:
It was thought that the bride killed herself, but jumping out the window, which is why you are moving backwards into the graveyard (sense of falling).

I NEVER knew this! Now I feel stupid!! :blush:

kbean
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
It's ok, nothing big except for the attic scene. The bride's face is very creepy. Good job on the attic, but the rest were just little changes.

DisneyDudet
10-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I NEVER knew this! Now I feel stupid!! :blush:

Don't feel stupid! I tried to learn the story a while back. When I read this, it made TOTAL sense! I never thought about it before reading it!

I get to ride the refurbished WDW version tomorrow!!!

realtreebar
10-12-2007, 12:00 AM
can't wait!!!!

Kathie_WE
10-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Re: hidden mickeys:

The one under the ghost's arm is still there. However, since they changed the graveyard the one with pots on the post is not.

Overall the changes are fantastic... not so much that it takes away from the tradition but nice tweaks that add to the experience...

CHEERS!