PDA

View Full Version : Why Did the Studios Stop Being Studios?

Goes4FastPass
09-13-2007, 06:05 PM
OK, we've discussed what we think the park with the Tower of Terror should be called a bunch and even if they end up calling it

Disney - Hollywwod Florida used to be MGM now has a lot of Pixar - Studios

I still regret how they seem to have moved away from the idea of the park being a working studio.

It was so great seeing animators working on the next animated feature.

They used to have walkways above studios where you had to be quite because taping or filming was going on.

The Backlot tour has become the Disaster Canyon Express (but how long could they make the Golded Girls house an attraction?).

Kids visiting the park could end up in the studio audience for a Mickey Mouse Club taping.

Somewhere in the midst of these changes the Studios became a half day park.

While they're working on the Studios I'd like to see them return more "working studio" attractions.

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Simple answer,$MONEY$

Of course, there's a lot more to the story, but Money is the basic reason that I've heard. It was a good idea on paper, but apparently Hollywood was too entrenched in southern California and nobody really wanted to move or split their locations.

I think most of us would agree that it would be nice if the "Studios" actually were real live (working) studios again. It's that mystique of being near the set of a future (potential) movie or tv show that we all want a peak at. Or, to see real life animators working their magic. It's a shame really, that it didn't work out.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
how long could they make the Golded Girls house an attraction?).

I LOVED the Golden Girl's house! I was really upset to finish the tour and not see it - I miss it! Though..I heard it is actually still there - they just don't drive by it any more.

Chris :hatter:

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I LOVED the Golden Girl's house! I was really upset to finish the tour and not see it - I miss it! Though..I heard it is actually still there - they just don't drive by it any more.

Chris :hatter:

Nope! Sorry, Residential Street was torn down to make way for the Lights, Motors, Action arena.

JPL
09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I can speak about this from experience in the Television Production industry. It was a simple case of location and weather.

1. Most of the major talent involved in Movie and Television production reside in either California or New York. This talent includes not only the stars but the producers and directors. It is much easier to film a show or movie and stay on schedule when the talent is close to home it also cuts out a lot of the travel and lodging expenses involved in the production. Airfare and hotels can get pricey rather quickly especially if they need to made at the last minute.

2. Florida Weather was also a big problem especially in the summer and during Hurricane season. Most productions are done on a rather strict schedule and staying on schedule with the unpredictable Florida weather is extremely difficult and costly. That late afternoon Thunder storm that inconveniences guests enjoying a day at the parks can shut down a production for the day. That time needs to be made up and since most of the crew are union workers the time is made up paying them overtime. Add to that the heat and humidity which not only adversely effects people it also plays havoc with Camera equipment. Not to mention if you have a scheduled time to shoot and a hurricane rolls in and grinds everything to a halt. These delays could easily add to Millions for the producers.

There are other reason but the 2 I discussed are really the major factors involved. It simply wasn't convenient or profitable for production companies to travel to Orlando to work on a project that they can easily and more economically work on in their own backyards. So as the demand dropped and the novelty wore off it was no longer profitable for Disney to maintain the state of the art facilties they had in place. I can tell you that most producers I know that worked there on a project said it was an awesome experience but it was too much hassle.