PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride - update?

Imagineer1981
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Does anyone else think the GMR needs an update? I think there are plenty of other "great movies" that could be added and certain scenes removed, such as the alien scene (not kid friendly). I was born in the 80s, and to me, Tarzan is not a classic I want to see, Aliens was a great movie, but not fitting for this ride. Again, as generations evolve, so do the rides

Marker
09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh my, you're opening a can of worms here. Well, before the more easily agitated chime in, I'd like to toss in my 2 cents.

I always enjoy this ride. I don't really see a problem with the films they have depicted. I think the alien scene provides a little bit of a startle, but I really don't think it's too intense for kids.

However, having said that, I wouldn't mind at all if they updated the scenes. There a many, many more classic films that could be used. And, it's my opinion, especially with the departure of MGM from the name, that there are plenty of classic Disney films, Pixar films, Touchstone Films, that they could load it with their own stuff and have it be just as enjoyable. Love Bug, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson. Imagine the scene they could add from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Why not give it a fresh feel, and promote their own stuff.

But that's just my opinion. I'll put on my helmet and take cover for the WDW faithful who oppose change of any kind.

Imagineer1981
09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Believe me, I am the first to be against change, but I agree with your comment, why not promote more classic Disney movies and give it a freshening.

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I have to agree, at least partly. I think most of the scenes are okay, but could use some tweaking to bring them up to more current technology and visuals. If any scene were replaced, I would have to say the Alien scene should be replaced with maybe the scene from Star Wars the Empire strikes back where Luke and Vader are dueling. Since Disney is "supposedly" in talks with Lucas to extend their involvement, this might actually be feasable.

mousetrapper
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I think the ride should feature classics, but I suppose one person's idea of a classic my not be another's!

Having said that, I think Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca are no-brainers. Mary Poppins? Of course. Tarzan? hmmm...maybe not so much. And Alien? A great movie, but somewhat dated and certainly a source of terror for many little ones on that ride (my DDs hated that part of the ride when they were little!). I suppose Clint Eastwood and John Wayne make sense too and appeal to folks like my DH who love westerns (and believe "the Duke" is an icon). And Jimmy Cagney for all those who love gangster films (and to tie in to the live action part of the ride).

I love the idea of adding a Star Wars scene! Now that's a classic.

Otherwise, I'm sure they are tied to feature movies Disney has some connection to, right?

I do love that ride!

EmmMOM2
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
I TOTALLY agree, it would be nice to be able to bring my children on that ride and have them actually RECOGNIZE some of the movies aside from wizard of oz. Alien to me seems a bit misplaced as it was never really a "hall of fame" type movie to me. My 4 1/2 yr old wont be going on this ride as alien is a bit too scary for him. It's a shame to miss such a great ride over one scene which could be swapped out.

Maybe they will revamp this ride soon....it would be very interesting to see what they do with it. As it is a great ride and a wonderful concept :)

medic9016
09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I somewhat agree. There is so many more movies and themes that would be a good fit. The alien scene should go, It could be so much better. I never cared for the movie itself. The gangster skit is in much need of something new.

Goes4FastPass
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I would like to see some updates to TGMR... but I can't imagine replacing, for example, Casablanca with something like the :haha:Love Bug.

Most of all I'd like to see the entire live tour guide thing scrapped. Ai, yi, yi gagster, tomb robber, whatever. It's el-lame-o to the max.

Take a cue from Living with the Land, lose the onboard guide.

EmcDuckRN
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Or my Goofy idea :goofy:

OK. So redo the ride in a way that would freshen this up while addressing the comments that were made in another thread.

Perhaps part of the ride could travel through a soundset area where "a movie was actually being made" Kind of show the process without the huge money issues that were mentioned why the working studio idea was scrapped.

Or even go from beginning to end, follow a production through the steps. This is after all "The Studios..."

Or if that is too :goofy:

how about just replaceing the alien scene with the scene from Star Wars where Han, Luke and Leia are trying to escape the death star? They would still be ducking for cover like the current character is...

Mfarquar
09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I've seen on many theme park sites that word is going around the park that the Tarzan scene will be changed to remove any reference to Johnny Wiesmuller and his roll as Tarzan. The new scene will depict the Disney version of Tarzan, which I suppose would make sense, given the audience.

However, as a fan of classic Hollywood, it would make me really sad to see some scenes go (especially Casablanca!). There's an old Hollywood feel to the studios, and I think this ride really fit well in the ORIGINAL MGM Studios that opened back in, '89 (I think?). I mean, it IS housed in a replica of Grauman's Chinese Theater! Even as a 9 year old, when I visited back when the park first opened, I appreciated the history of it all. But, most 9 year olds don't watch a lot of black and white movies, so maybe I was in the minority!

Regardless, the ride DOES need some modern updating. Jim Hill (consider the source haha) has said that they are thinking of changing the cowboy scene because the fire effects are costly. He has also mentioned that Disney is in talks to ditch the Alien scene and replace it with a Lord of the Rings scene, which I am sure would be a hit. The Alien scene is kinda lame, and at the very least, needs updating!

I just hope whatever updates they do eventually perform are somewhat in-tune with the original purpose of the ride itself. It would be sad to see it become a complete Ode-To-Pixar ride.

FatherForce
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
My 2 cents is that even though it needs an update, keeping classic Hollywood films is essential to this attraction.

True, most 9 year olds do not know black and white movies, but maybe the ride will enourage them to watch them when they are 12.

And I emphatically agree that the Tour guide stuff HAS to go.

GrumpyFan
09-14-2007, 11:07 AM
While we're discussing our thoughts on changing The Great Movie Ride, I would like to see them remove the Fantasia scene and replace it with some other classic movie scene. Then I think a separate attraction/ride purely devoted to animation thru the years would make a great addition to the studios. They could show the beginnings of Walt and follow the advances thru the years all the way up modern day computer animation along the way showing highlights of some of the best films. I know they have a walkthru type attraction that brushes over (no pun intended) animation, but I really think a full blown attraction would work really well.

DizNee143
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
maybe not take a away..but im sure they could fine more room and add at least one newer up to date movie...
hey at least they added to the end movie!! :mickey: