PDA

View Full Version : Food & Wine Festival

Dreamer14
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm thinking about going to EPCOT Columbus Day weekend (Oct. 5-8). I've never done the Food and Wine Festival but would really like to.

Has anyone done it before?
Is the food worth the price?
Are there bracelets or something to show that you are of legal drinking age or do you have to show your id everywhere?

SandmanGStefani24
09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
i'd really like to know about all these too! anyone???

jwallace378
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
It's definitely worth it. The food and drink at each stand is great. As far as IDs go....you're gonna have to show your ID if you look young. Last time I went, there was no bracelet system.

teamblackwell
09-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi all,
you have to try at least one food sample from each country ($2-$4 each). My wife was 24 when we went in 2004 and she was carded when we bought mimosas from a champagne vendor near Morocco.

DisneyGrrrl
09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Has anyone done it before? YES - This will be our 5th time on 9/28-10/2.

Is the food worth the price? Most of it. Some things I find to be a little pricey, but overall I think it's worth it. Depends on what you are used to spending and what kind of food you like. For instance, I remember last year thinking that the lobster roll was very expensive for what you get. BUT - I can't stand lobster and my DH said it was some of the best he's had. So it's all perspective.

Are there bracelets or something to show that you are of legal drinking age or do you have to show your id everywhere? No - You have to show your ID everywhere. DH and I are 26, so we usually get carded. It's not a big deal though.

I do recommend bring CASH. It holds up the line so much when you have cards and then you have a million receipts. Just speaking from experience.

Can't wait!! Two weeks from today is my trip! If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them. :thumbsup:

DisneyCouture
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Dreamer14:
My DH and I are going for the first time the same weekend u are thinking of going. I have heard so many good things about the fest. There was a thread posted here about a week ago with a listing of all the kiosk of food. That will be annoying about getting carded, I am 27 but ppl always ask me for ID. I'll have to find something that is easy to carry my license in.:marg:

TTAtravler
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
:thumbsup: I'll be there for the first time that weekend too! I'll be the one with the big grin on her face!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Dreamer14:
That will be annoying about getting carded, I am 27 but ppl always ask me for ID. I'll have to find something that is easy to carry my license in.:marg:

I'm 31 and I always get carded. I'm bring a lanyard with a clear pouch and putting my ID and photopass card in it. That way I don't have to keep taking either out. On one side they can see my ID and on the other be able to scan my photopass. :ccat::marg:

MickeyMousse
09-14-2007, 02:16 PM
YES it is worth it! :thumbsup: The food items range from $2 to $5 the last time we did it (while living in Orlando 2005) and there were no bracelets. Maybe that has changed?

Enjoy!:mickey:

DisneyCouture
09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm 31 and I always get carded. I'm bring a lanyard with a clear pouch and putting my ID and photopass card in it. That way I don't have to keep taking either out. On one side they can see my ID and on the other be able to scan my photopass. :ccat::marg:

Where can I get one of those clear pouches w a lanyard?:)

BriarRose0708
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Good question about getting carded, I didn't think about that. I try not to think of being carded as a nuisance, I dread the day that I don't get asked for it anymore! I'm going the weekend after you and I can't wait!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-14-2007, 04:33 PM
I got mine at an event where lanyards were given out with your ticket but I think you'd be able to get the clear pouch at an office supply or luggage store. I know sometimes they sell them at concerts or sporting events so you can just insert you ticket in it.

pook@wdw
09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Do it every year :thumbsup:
Food excellent...well worth it!:thumbsup:
No ID necessary (unless you look really young):thumbsup:
Our school fall break is in Oct. so that's when we usually go to WDW. LOVE the F& W Festival. Not only can you get samples from the current pavillions, other countries have temp pavillions up to sample their culinary delights as well!

McGoofy
09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Our family LOVES the F&W Festival!:thumbsup: We go to WDW every fall just so we can go to it. The food can add up quickly, but they have plates of the food on display at every booth so you can see in advance if you think it is worth buying or not.

As for being carded, I am the grandma here at age 36, and I still get carded sometimes. Not too long ago I got carded at the margarita booth in Mexico. At this point in life, it is now a compliment.:woohoo: I guess my Oil of Olay routine is working for me! I would definitely carry ID just in case you do get carded no matter what age you are. I wish Disney would implement a bracelet system so you would only have to show your ID one time.

Go enjoy the festival. It is so much fun!:chef::wine:

pixiesmimi
09-14-2007, 11:49 PM
You can buy the lanyards with the clear ticket and photopass holder on it at the gift shops. I started to get one this year because it would be so convenient but had a pocket on my waist pack that was just right for this and I didn't have to worry about losing them.

moobear67
09-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know if the individual food kiosks accept the "Disney Dollars" card (the credit earned from the Disney credit card that is put onto it's own card for redemtion purposes)?

TheRustyScupper
09-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Has anyone done it before?
. . . yes, we do it every year
. . . but, NEVER on a weekend
. . . us locals make Epcot really crowded
. . . food lines can be 45-min long

Is the food worth the price?
. . . in most cases, I would say yes
. . . don't expect any food bargains
. . . some think the small portions aren't worth $4-$6
. . . to try food of different countries, most feel prices OK

Are there bracelets or something to show that you are of legal drinking age?
. . . no
. . . just carry your ID
. . . they do ID if you look under 25, or so

Other Notes:
. . . each booth takes DIsney Dollars
. . . almost every booth takes room charging, credit cards, Disney Rewards
. . . food items under $6 are "usually" considered a DDP snack

Polynesian Dweller
09-16-2007, 11:39 AM
The RustyScupper has it pretty well summed up.

We have gone every year since the first one (how long is that) and we really enjoy it as a chance to taste things we don't normally get.

The prices are not bargains but certainly not extravagant either. The portions are sampler size not meal size.

Hate to say, but carding hasn't been an issue for more years than I care to admit to. I'd be happy to be considered that young. :D

mickey-mouse35
09-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Can't wait to go, too, in October. It was recommended here on Intercot about a month ago to bring cash since sometimes the card machines are down. Most people agreed to bring about $75 for a day to try lots of food and beverage items! :eat:

DisneyKim22
09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I went for the second time last year and really enjoyed it. I didn't sample a lot of items, but those I did try were very good.

It's not an event I would time my vacation around, but since I like going during "off" times, I'll likely attend the F&W Fest again in the future.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Other Notes:
. . . each booth takes DIsney Dollars
. . . almost every booth takes room charging, credit cards, Disney Rewards
. . . food items under $6 are "usually" considered a DDP snack

So it's worth it to save up all of your DDP snacks to use at the F&WF?

Mickey 101
09-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Has anyone done it before? YES - This will be our 5th time on 9/28-10/2.

Is the food worth the price? Most of it. Some things I find to be a little pricey, but overall I think it's worth it. Depends on what you are used to spending and what kind of food you like. For instance, I remember last year thinking that the lobster roll was very expensive for what you get. BUT - I can't stand lobster and my DH said it was some of the best he's had. So it's all perspective.

Are there bracelets or something to show that you are of legal drinking age or do you have to show your id everywhere? No - You have to show your ID everywhere. DH and I are 26, so we usually get carded. It's not a big deal though.

I do recommend bring CASH. It holds up the line so much when you have cards and then you have a million receipts. Just speaking from experience.

Can't wait!! Two weeks from today is my trip! If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm not good at quoting other posts. I know I didn't need to include this entire thing, but just wondered if you remember how much the Lobster Roll is. My DD and I are very interested in this option. I was looking forward to tasting food/drinks from other places, but didn't expect to see such a good selection at the USA kiosk.

huzzah4
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
...the Lobster Roll is. My DD and I are very interested in this option.

I was very disappointed in the lobster roll. I was expecting something more like an egg roll, but it is more like chicken salad made with lobster. In my opinion, the bread was kind of stale and I did not taste much more than celery and mayo. Some other people do seem to rave about them though, so I guess opinions vary.

Mickey 101
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm familiar with lobster rolls as we used to live in New England and they are very popular out there. It's been a long time since I've had access to one, though, because we seem to keep heading to Florida for some reason. :blush: