PDA

View Full Version : Night of Joy moving to Disney Hollywood Studios in 2008

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
According to a rumor I saw on another site, Night of Joy will move to Disney Hollywood Studios in 2008. Also mentioned was reopening the backlot theatre where the Hunchback show ran. Has anyone seen or heard this anywhere else?

I find this to be interesting. We attended the first night for 2007 last Friday night (9/7) and admittedly, the venues used could've used seats, but I wouldn't have thought they would move it. This will be interesting, considering they have several large(r) venues with seats including the Lights Motors Action theatre, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, and possibly the Fantasmic theatre as well as the Litte Mermaid theatre. Perhaps they're planning or trying to have a lot more artists for next year.

MartyS
09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
My DD, a Senior @ Hardin Simmons Univ. is doing the College Program @ MK this semester. She worked that night and got to meet a lot of the groups under the Castle before going on stage, which she said was VERY cool. On a sad note, she told me a lot of the CM's refer to The night of Joy as "The night of Hell" because they historically have to beef up security because of the particulaly unruly guests on those nights. Very sad. These guests should be representing their King and they should be a real joy to be around. Maybe a change of venue and a lot of prayer could change things next year.

kakn7294
09-13-2007, 12:45 PM
We've never done NOJ but I have heard of the nightmares of the crowd control and people who complained about not having seating and the mob-mentality of the crowds. I think MGM (sorry - I just can't call it DHS yet) is the perfect location for an event like this since there are all those stages already available. Hopefully it works out much better in terms of the crowd control as well. It is a shame that so many unruly guests seem to attend this event - you would think that they would be the best behaved crowds, not the worst.

Ian
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I, for one, would be thrilled if they moved it to DHS. Having attended one once (without knowing what it was) and never planning on attending again, I'd prefer DHS was closed early as opposed to MK.

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I can't say that we saw any "mobs", just a LOT of people. However, I was very surprised to see the amount of trash left on the ground after the last concert was over.

brownie
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Also mentioned was reopening the backlot theatre where the Hunchback show ran.

Didn't they take down the backlot theatre and replace it with the San Francisco set on the Streets of America?

GrumpyFan
09-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Didn't they take down the backlot theatre and replace it with the San Francisco set on the Streets of America?

The San Fracisco "set" is just a mural they put up to cover the theatre. The theatre remains in tact, at least the building is still there. I heard they were using it for storage of Christmas lights and such, so I imagine they removed all of the seating, but that's not a big deal.

Figment!
09-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Also mentioned was reopening the backlot theatre where the Hunchback show ran. Has anyone seen or heard this anywhere else? The interior of the theater is planned to be demolitioned. See Tidbits September 2007 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114733) for details.

Figment!
09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
The change of park venues has been internally confirmed.

The new stage locations have been internally announced as the Lights, Motors, Action! Stadium, the Backlot Theater and the Sorcerer Mickey Hat Stage.

MercyMe, Chris Tomlin, Rush of Fools, and Toby Mac have also been announced as a partial line-up of scheduled acts.

DizHawk
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
When they get Delirious? to come from merry olde England I'll book a trip. Until then, no thanks.

GrumpyFan
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
It's official now, the following is up on the Disney site:

Get out your calendars and circle these two rockin' days to celebrate Faith in 2008:

Friday, September 5
Saturday, September 6The music moves to Disney-MGM Studios for the first time, where some of today's most powerful voices in Contemporary Christian music will take to the stage with favorite songs. MercyMe, TobyMac and Chris Tomlin have already confirmed to be a part of this inspirational event. Watch this space as more stars commit to bring joy to your night next year!

jiifigment
09-19-2007, 09:55 AM
This could be a HUGE improvement! One of my biggest complaints about NOJ was the fact that they put you in huge groups basically body to body and they won't let you sit down! If you sit on the ground, even against a wall, a CM comes by and tells you to stand. That's fine for a few minutes, but after a few hours, it's not so fine.

I keep wondering about the reputation NOJ seems to have. Are the local churches using this as "outreach" and then allowing huge numbers of kids to run unsupervised through the parks? What exactly are the complaints, and how different are they from other teen aimed events (ie: grad nights), and why?

We've been twice, and although the park has been more crowded than we've ever seen before, and most of them were teens, we've never seen anything "bad." It's the only time, however, I've seen CM's with really bad attitudes. :pout: I think the reputation has the CM's expecting the worst before it happens.

I wish there was a way to remedy this problem, but unfortunately, I think limiting ticket quantities and requiring more chaparones is the only solution. I doubt either one will happen. :(

magicman
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I keep wondering about the reputation NOJ seems to have. Are the local churches using this as "outreach" and then allowing huge numbers of kids to run unsupervised through the parks? What exactly are the complaints, and how different are they from other teen aimed events (ie: grad nights), and why?

We've been twice, and although the park has been more crowded than we've ever seen before, and most of them were teens, we've never seen anything "bad." It's the only time, however, I've seen CM's with really bad attitudes. :pout: I think the reputation has the CM's expecting the worst before it happens.

I wish there was a way to remedy this problem, but unfortunately, I think limiting ticket quantities and requiring more chaparones is the only solution. I doubt either one will happen. :(

I've wondered the same thing about NOJ problems. My hope is that it is just a few bad apples, but I hate that the whole event has a bad rep.

Due to the smaller size of DHS, I'm hoping that moving the event from MK to the Studios might reduce some of the crowd control issues.

Mickey91
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I had considered buying tickets for this event in 2005. It didn't work out then and once we were at the park, I was glad. The party people came in in a wave. A huge wave! We were almost at POC which had a 5 min wait. Actually, all we had to do was take a few steps across the street. By the time we even started across about 300+ people wearing their Night of joy lanyards basically trampled us to get in line for the ride and it went from 5 min. to 70 min in a few seconds (CMs would not open the left line). The language coming from these people was not what you would expect from fellow Christians. I was appalled! So much so, I complained at guest services. Both the guests and the CMs were extremely rude during the brief time that regular guests and party guests were there together. I felt and still do feel that it is ashame that an event that is supposed to glorify God, has such a bad rep and that if those attending are Christians, they aren't showing the world a very good example. I would rather see this event closed altogether than to experience the mess we encountered again.

Perhaps if Disney limited the amount of tickets that an organization can buy for the event?? I don't know the solution, but one needs to happen. Hopefully the different location will help.

Scar
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
... a lot of the CM's refer to The night of Joy as "The night of Hell" because they historically have to beef up security because of the particulaly unruly guests on those nights. Very sad. These guests should be representing their King and they should be a real joy to be around.

The language coming from these people was not what you would expect from fellow Christians.

I felt and still do feel that it is ashame that an event that is supposed to glorify God, has such a bad rep and that if those attending are Christians, they aren't showing the world a very good example.I am certain that it is not a requirement to be a true Christian to attend this event.

Mickey91
10-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I am certain that it is not a requirement to be a true Christian to attend this event.

No it isn't. And, hopefully some will receive the good news and be saved as a result of these concerts. But, with it being a Christian event, it is ashame that it is apparently one of the worst weekends at WDW during the year.

LauraleeH
10-17-2007, 12:14 AM
It won't seem like Night Of Joy anymore because it won't be in the Magic Kingdom, but I am praying that it will be a new NOJ, and better than ever.

I don't see how NOJ has such a bad reputation when you don't hear anything about Grad Night. Thousands of Seniors?! You can't tell me that they are on their best behavior and don't give the CM's any problems.

I just hope that this really is for the best and that it will be more for the intended purpose, which is to glorify God.

Oh, and I really hope that Rush Of Fools definitely go, because I am dying to see them!

Dznygrl79
10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I am so very excited! Yes the NOJ is moving to DHS! And MercyMe is coming to perform. Now that being said yes it is a crowded weekend, the EPCOT pin event is happening at the same time. I will so be there! Now if they could get Casting Crowns.....