PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Whispering Canyon

mermaidmarian
09-13-2007, 09:29 AM
I understand that there is some playful interaction between diners and waitstaff at Whispering Canyon, but I have never eaten there.

Can someone enlighten about the theme - how much "fun" one might expect, especially if they like to play along?

Maleficent's Dad
09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
It really depends on who your server is.

The theme is a loud, raucous, western one, with hooping and hollerin'.

We've had waitstaff go overboard with the drinks, straws, ketchup, etc...

We've also had more subdued service, with minimal "playing."

In fact, 2 weeks ago, we experienced both types while there - we ate at the WCC three times.

Some things we've experienced that elicit fun play:

Ask for ketchup
Ask for a LARGE drink (non-alcoholic)
Ask for extra straws
Ask where to buy chewing gum
Chew gum in the restaurant
Talk on your cell phone when ordering
Wear a US or IOA tee-shirt

disneydrmr
09-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Frank pretty much covered it.. but he left off the 'horse races' they have around the dining room! Lots of fun! If you are wanting a nice quiet meal.. this would be one to pass up!

martinfamily5
09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
It is so much fun. Our server told DH if he didn't finish his meal he would have to sing for the whole place. He did finish his meal, but I could not. I got to sing "You Are My Sunshine" for everyone. I used to sing this song to DS when he was a baby, but I was so nervous that I forgot the words.:blush: We had so much fun.

#1donaldfan
09-13-2007, 12:10 PM
There is a lot of interaction and the room can get very loud......our waitress wasn't too playfull.....must have been a long day for her.....she did ask my sister, who was on her cell, if she wanted her to quieten the room so she could talk.....I had to do a dance in front of everyone.....actually all the men did....the food was OK, not the best, however not the worst......

Krystal_Rose
09-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds fun, I just booked our last meal here. I think the kids will really enjoy it, and I love that I won't have to worry about keeping them quiet. :thumbsup: Can't wait, thanks for sharing!

mermaidmarian
09-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks all. I guess I never caught the joke in the restaurant name. :blush:

It sounds right up our alley and I am going to put it on the "must try" list for the next trip. (Yea! planning next trip!). We love 50's PrimeTime for the "play" - this should be perfect (and my 5 year old terror of tiny town nephew should fit right in!)

laprana
09-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I agree that it depends on your server. We've been there 2 times - the first time our server was great! When we sat down, my sister was really thirsty and drank her entire glass of tea in about 5 minutes. Without missing a beat, our server came out with this huge glass jug of tea (about a gallon, I think) and plopped it down in front of my sister with a straw that was about 3 feet long. It was hilarious! My sister calmly replied, "Well, I'm going to need some more Splenda," so the server went in the back and came back to our table with an entire, big box of Splenda packets and a giant spoon! We were laughing so hard! I have a picture of my sister behind her huge tea and box of Splenda, and all you can see is her head. It's my favorite picture from that whole trip!

We went back to WCC last summer and our server was kind of a dud. All she did was throw straws on the table. But, we had a lot of fun watching the other servers in action! There was one nearby who had a table with a lady who was having a birthday. Apparently the lady didn't want to make her b-day public, so her friend secretly told the server about it. The server came back and was making a big deal about the lady's b-day, and then she turned to the friend and said she didn't like "tattle tails." So, for the friend's punishment, the server made her ride a stick pony around the dining room while singing Happy Birthday to the b-day girl! It was sooooo funny! When the friend got done, the server said she didn't sing loud enough and made her go into the lobby and ride the stick pony around the whole lobby while singing Happy Birthday at the top of her lungs. We were all absolutely rolling with laughter - the whole restaurant! Luckily the friend was a willing participant and was having a great time with it! I think if she hadn't been, the server would have backed off a bit. So, even though our own server wasn't that great, we still had a really fun time! :thumbsup: