PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Aqua Seas Tour or AK Backstage

azdisneymom
09-12-2007, 07:23 PM
DD (16) and I are going to WDW on our first mother/daughter trip. I would like to plan a surprise for her :secret: but can't decide between the Aqua Seas tour or the Animal Kingdom Backstage Safari. Which would you recommend? Thank you for helping this first time poster.

mouseketeer mom
09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
My DD age 11, and my DH did the aqua seas tour this past January. They loved it soo much they are doing it again in November. On that same trip we did the Sunrise Safari from the AKL. I'm not sure how that is different from the backstage safari if that is what it is called. But we did go backstage at AK and saw how and where they kept the animals, did a very slow safari which answered a ton of questions and learned inside workings of the AK. That was really enjoyable. But the Aqua Seas Tour was a HIGHLIGHT!!!! They went backstage and learned the inside workings, suited up, and into that huge tank they went!!! My other DD and my DS watched from the viewing area. Breathtaking. I was so proud of my DD. She wears her aqua seas tour shirt so proudly and has her picture with her Daddy together, all suited up, after the tour. It is framed in her room! They still talk about all the creatures they swam with. It was amazing. Now, when they do it again in February, we are having an early dinner right after the tour at the Coral Seas, so we can sit by where they swam!

Pirate Granny
09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Ho-HO...I've done both...the Aqua Sea tour you swim with the fishes...it's quite nice and if your daughter isn't afraid of BIG fish, then this would be perfect...you get a behind scene tour, then a information discussion and then you go get into your provided wet suit (short sleeves, knee length, NO hood though)...you then proceed to the tank and you're given instructions on how to use the breathing equipment, which is easy and you then float away (you have floaties on your back, so you can swim underwater, rather you skim the water)...I had the giant sea turtle buzz my arm, I turned, it opened it's mouth...yes, turtles do have teeth and it scared the daylights out of me...and swam away...the instructor (which is in the water with you) said it may have been my light hair that attracted the turtle...none of the fish bite and it's quite safe, but go in with your eyes wide open...there is no refund and she won't like sitting on the side of the tank if she is afraid.

The animal kingdom was nice, but I was a bit disappointed, no behind the scene stuff...you learn alot, but I always want to be treated with stuff the 'rest' of the guest don't see...

There are special pin given for each tour...

My favorite tour is MK and it's half or two thirds of a day (we had lunch) and we had lots of behind the scene stuff, unitunnels, where the parade floats are kept...well worth the $$$, it's been a few years, so I can't remember the name...

ENJOY whatever you pick...

:pirate:

Pirate Granny
09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Didn't notice your daughter's age before I wrote...I would go with the Aqua Seas...and I did Wild by Design rather than the Safari...so...I may have mislead you.

:pirate:

cinderellagrl
09-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I would vote for 'Backstage Safari. We got to do backstage things. The best part was petting the black rhino. I also enjoyed having discussions with the animal caretakers, going on a private non-scripted safari, seeing what the animals eat, and talking to a large animal vet! It was a great tour!

Samtastic
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
First off, congrats of a mom/daughter trip! That's so cool. I wish I could go on vacation with just my mom (and yes I'm 22 :blush:) but sadly my dad would just be too :( if we left him alone.

Anyway, I'm going to Jan with my DBF and I'm planning the seas aqua tour. Firstly because he's a marine biologist so he prefers that and secondly I just think actually swimming with the sea creatures is just a unique experience. While we both love animals and nature, I just think the Aqua Seas tour is more "hands on" and more exciting. Of course if you have a fear of the ocean and those who reside in it, I'd not partake. Both seem like a once in a lifetime experience--and fun. What do you think she's more interested in--marine or africa? Also is she self-conscious? You'll be with strangers in a (TIGHT) wetsuit. If you think she may be uncomfortable, go with the safari.

azdisneymom
09-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Everyone has given such great advice! I tried to be sneaky and read her some of your replies. I think Aqua Seas Tour is it. Couldn't have done it without you.:thumbsup:

EmmMOM2
09-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Another vote for aqua seas!! :) Make sure she likes being in water with sea life

Tick-Tock
09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
We didn't do Aqua Seas but did DiveQuest, and it was a blast being on show in the tank! We really liked Backstage Safari too, but DiveQuest was more fun.

If you do anything with a minimum age of 16 (like Backstage Safari) be SURE you bring proof of your daughter's age with you. Our Backstage Safari was held up for 1/2 hour while two families argued with CMs about the ID requirement for their teens; they didn't get to take the tour.