PDA

View Full Version : Least crowded time of the year

wire0monkey
09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I've never been to Disneyland or California Adventure, but I've been to WDW half a dozen times. I'm thinking of planning a family trip to California. What is the least crowded time of the year at the California parks?

BrerGnat
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Least crowded times at DLR are the following:

Fall: week after Labor day through third week of November.

Winter: Week after thanksgiving through 3rd week of December

Late winter: 2nd week of January until second week of March

Spring: Week after Easter until Memorial Day.

Keep in mind, whenever a holiday comes up, expect the weekend preceding the holiday as well as the week OF the holiday to be pretty crowded, as people tend to take time off from work/school around holidays.

The best time to go, in my opinion, is in Late September-October. They have all the fall festivities going on (Halloweentime) and it's just good weather, low crowds, but fun stuff happening, and not too many ride closures.

The second best time is between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so you can enjoy low crowds, slightly cooler weather, and all the Holiday decorations and festivities.

The early part of the year (Jan-Feb-Mar) is good crowd wise, but the weather can be chilly and sometimes rainy, the park hours are greatly reduced, and there are no special festivities going on, plus many ride rehabs take place during these months. It is a good time to go if you just want to experience the parks as they NORMALLY are (i.e. no special holiday decorations, etc).

tinkwest
09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree that mid September through mid October is a good time to go if your main goal is to avoid crowds. :crowd:

wire0monkey
09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks.

The traffic patterns sound sort of like the Florida traffic patterns.

WiLdOrCa
09-21-2007, 10:46 PM
We've been there in Feb a couple of times, as this is our anniversary month. It's always been nice and quiet. Even if it rains, we love to go because everyone hides out, and we continue to walk out in the rain, being from Washington. We don't wait for the rain to stop to do anything because then we will never DO anything!!;)

One year, we went to Disneyland for Christmas, and actually spent Christmas Day in the Happiest Place on Earth. Believe it or not, it was NOT busy at all...and open until midnight. Around 6-7pm, the place just about emptied out. I think this was 2001. We've been a couple times at Christmastime, but not on Christmas Day. It was amazing! We did Goofy's Kitchen, which was busy, but after, we got on the Monorail to head back, and looking down on the park, it was empty! I was like, is it open? What an amazing Christmas!

Vickie :mickey:

Crystal Palace
09-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I was there a few times in September, and the crowds were very manageable. I was also there in January, and the parks were practically empty. Just stay away during Spring Break and the summer, and you should be fine.

Ariella
10-06-2007, 02:18 AM
We've been there in Feb a couple of times, as this is our anniversary month. It's always been nice and quiet. Even if it rains, we love to go because everyone hides out, and we continue to walk out in the rain, being from Washington. We don't wait for the rain to stop to do anything because then we will never DO anything!!;)

One year, we went to Disneyland for Christmas, and actually spent Christmas Day in the Happiest Place on Earth. Believe it or not, it was NOT busy at all...and open until midnight. Around 6-7pm, the place just about emptied out. I think this was 2001. We've been a couple times at Christmastime, but not on Christmas Day. It was amazing! We did Goofy's Kitchen, which was busy, but after, we got on the Monorail to head back, and looking down on the park, it was empty! I was like, is it open? What an amazing Christmas!

Vickie :mickey:

I am so surprised to read this!

Christmas day is supposedly among a handful of BUSIEST days of the year in Disneyland (New Year's Eve, July 4th etc).
DH and I went there for Christmas day in 2000 on our honeymoon, and it almost turned DH off of Disneyland forever. We kinda thought it would be fairly empty, people would be at home for the holiday. We'll never make that mistake again!
People were packed in so tight you couldn't walk without nudging people out of the way. The CM's who clean the bathrooms apparently couldn't keep up with the crowds coming and going, because we both experienced some pretty gross restrooms (they are usually so well kept!). We only got to ride about 5 rides all day.
From what you said, it makes me wonder if Christmas day has recently gained a bad reputation for being so busy, so less people actually show up than they did 7 years ago. :shrug:

spooky_kitten
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Has anyone been to DL on Columbus Day? I'm wondering what to expect when I go on Monday

tinkwest
10-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Has anyone been to DL on Columbus Day? I'm wondering what to expect when I go on Monday

Since most schools are in session that day I don't think there is much impact on the parks for the Columbus Day "holiday".

spooky_kitten
10-06-2007, 05:12 PM
wonderful! thank you!

:ccat:

WiLdOrCa
10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I am so surprised to read this!

Christmas day is supposedly among a handful of BUSIEST days of the year in Disneyland (New Year's Eve, July 4th etc).
DH and I went there for Christmas day in 2000 on our honeymoon, and it almost turned DH off of Disneyland forever. We kinda thought it would be fairly empty, people would be at home for the holiday. We'll never make that mistake again!
People were packed in so tight you couldn't walk without nudging people out of the way. The CM's who clean the bathrooms apparently couldn't keep up with the crowds coming and going, because we both experienced some pretty gross restrooms (they are usually so well kept!). We only got to ride about 5 rides all day.
From what you said, it makes me wonder if Christmas day has recently gained a bad reputation for being so busy, so less people actually show up than they did 7 years ago. :shrug:

Yeah, I was told it was really busy too, but I think we had a freak chance of luck that it wasn't busy that day for some reason. I was also told, while we were there, that some people come all the time for Christmas day, by people who were visiting, and they said it's off and on again. But I think it was a great time either way!!! It's stressful to plan though, with kids. Luckily they weren't REALLY little, so they didn't mind having a non traditional type of Christmas. Who wouldn't want to be there, OF ALL PLACES for Christmas????
But, the best time, and I'm giving away my quiet time, is in Feb. It's always quiet, and being Washingtonians, we go rain or shine. Okay, so I grew up in Garden Grove, just down the road, but I've been up here for 20 something years now, and can now say I'm not a Californian I guess? hahaha.

I love my Disneyland.... always the Happiest Place on Earth. My Happy Place!

Vickie
:mickey:

ChipDale
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm sure it was because it was so close after the September 11, 2001 attacks. The one and only year that Christmas wasn't a zoo at Disneyland!