PDA

View Full Version : 417 Toll Road Question

steamboat willy
09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
OK you Florida Drivers....Tell me about this new 417 Toll Road, By Pass of Orlando.
Have not driven down in two years. Is this the way to go??? :truck:
I do I-95 South
I-4 through Orlando and straight to WDW exits.
What's the local knowledge? :secret:

pooh0601
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
We live in Ormond Beach and we take I-95 to I-4, and get off at Exit 101 which is the exit for the Greenway(417), and then we take that to the Disney World Exit #3.

I-4 is not a bad road up until where the Greenway Exit is...do NOT be fooled, it's not a nice drive like that the whole way. It becomes one of Florida's biggest nightmare's to drive beyond that point until you get past Disney.

It's worth every penny IMO.

big blue and hairy
09-12-2007, 07:22 AM
417 is a huge help avoiding very dense and impatient traffic in Orlando. It is well worth the approximately $5 in tolls. Exit 3 dumps you right on Osceola Pkwy. I love it.

:sulley:

Piglet822
09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
By picking up the 417 in Sanford you are bypassing Downtown Orlando which is where the majority of the nightmare traffic can be found. There are other areas that get just as congested but downtown is always a given for that.

There are two exits you can take off of the 417 to get to WDW depending on which resort you're staying at. For Pop Century, All Star resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs I would use exit 3 to Osceola Parkway and then follow the signs on Disney property to your resort.

For any other resort exit 6 would be the way to go.

If you need specific directions let me know and I can help.

steamboat willy
09-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks to all for posting this information :number1:
How often are the toll booths or is it a getting on an a getting off type toll road?
Does 417 track east or west of I-4.
Sanford is near a nice lake to the left and the smoke stacks resembling a light house on the right?
What is speed limit on 417? :truck:
Leave two weeks from today, can you tell I'm excited. :cool: We are staying at ASM, so I assume we exit on exit 3?

rt207
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Bumping....I've managed to find a way around every major city driving from PA, except Orlando, and am interested in this also...

Piglet822
09-13-2007, 05:28 PM
This website (https://epass.oocea.com/mapsandtravelinfo/index.shtml) will have information about 417. It has links to maps and other useful information about the roadway.
There are always ways around the major highways but if you're only doing it to avoid paying the tolls take some advice from a local, pay the money and stay on 417. Believe me. Some of the local roads get so congested with the traffic and the lights it's just not worth it.
The speed on 417 is 65 mph.

January-2007
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
What about on Sunday morning, do you think it would be advantageous to take this toll road or would we be okay just taking I4 like always? Also, they don't have special tokens or passes for these do they, we can just pay them with cash? We are driving down from Maryland starting on Saturday morning, hope to drive into Pop Century late morning on Sunday. We're stopping overnight whenever we get tired along the way. This thread has been very informative, thank you!!

Also, the MapQuest directions I got say to get off at exit 65 from I4 to get to Pop Century. This is the most direct way, yes? Last time we drove I didn't have the specifics down, it was actually directions to Fort Wilderness, so we just kind of drove around until we found it. Just wanted to make sure this is the way to go.

Also, what's the closest gas station to Pop Century? I want to make sure and fill up the tank before parking because I doubt we'll be driving again before we leave and I hate having to make an extra stop on the way out of town. Thanks!!

rt207
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info and thanks for starting this thread! This is great because now I'll be able to avoid the final congested area during my drive. Tolls, shmolls...missing the traffic is what it's all about for me!

steamboat willy
09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
THANKS to ALL:number1: for your replies back on this thread.
This sounds like the way to go.
Thank you Piglet for your link to the map, tolls, etc... I can see it tracks east of I-4, Orlando and straight into WDW. :truck:
This is cool, exciting and I will be driving from NC in 11 days.
Keep moving our departure date up...go figure!
We were leaving on Friday, then Thursday, NOW Wednesday A.M.
Gotta get to that Calypso Pool and those WISHES fireworks. :fworks:
Now WE have EMH at MK on 9.27.07
Steamboat :sail:

DVC Mike
09-14-2007, 08:28 AM
This is cool, exciting and I will be driving from NC in 11 days.

Your dates are almost identical to ours, and we are also leaving from NC.

Have a good trip!

big blue and hairy
09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
what's the closest gas station to Pop Century? I want to make sure and fill up the tank before parking because I doubt we'll be driving again before we leave and I hate having to make an extra stop on the way out of town. Thanks!!

When DW and I were there in July, the cheapest gas in the vicinity was at the Hess stations on property. The closest one is near the Boardwalk.

:sulley:

kathymk616
09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I have taken 417 whenever I have suspected there would be bad traffic in Orlando. (Listening to the local news station on the radio is very helpful...I forget at the moment which AM station it is.) But bear in mind that it swings you pretty far to the east...so it adds about 20 minutes or more (I add the "or more" because I have even seen 417 get a bit congested!) to your trip than if you stayed on I-4 without congestion.

In short, get the local traffic report. If it sounds like congestion is minimal (less than 20 minutes worth), stick to I-4. I-4 is often the better route to go very early in the morning, before rush hour starts in earnest.

mrsHerbie53
09-15-2007, 08:42 PM
We should be arriving in the Orlando area in the late afternoon...Should I assume 417 is in our best interest then?

Also, we are staying in the Indian Ridge community. Is anyone familiar with with exit we should take (and next route) from 417?

THANKS!

Piglet822
09-16-2007, 02:43 AM
If you're coming in the afternoon I'd definitely avoid I-4.
Do you have a physical address for the Indian Ridge community? I'm not sure I know where it is. I'm thinking it's off of 535 but I don't want to give you incorrect information and get you lost.

kathymk616
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with the previous poster...late afternoon on a weekday is close to prime rush hour, which almost invariably cries out for a 417 detour. Good luck!:mickey: