PDA

View Full Version : Kona or Ohana?

Scotcelebrity
09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Alright we are trying to plan that one last ADR. We want to go to a resturaunt at the Poly since I am trying to convince my husband to stay there for our Christmas 2008 trip. My question is: Kona or Ohana? We will have eaten at Le Cellier for an early lunch so we don't need a whole lot of food but we want the best experiance. The prices seem pretty close....what do you think we should do?:lei::papple:

mousetrapper
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
If it's just you and your DH, I would recommend Kona. We've only eaten breakfast there but were very impressed!

'Ohana is a much more lively, boisterous family type restaurant. They serve you family style and bring big skewers of meat to your table. You can eat and eat as much as you want.

No matter which you choose, be sure to take time to enjoy a cocktail in the lounge before dinner! Very romantic.

:lei::papple:

wdwfansince75
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Both are great for the food. You can check the menus for any special wants....I highly recommend the Mahi Mahi at the Kona...about my favorite meal at WDW....

But, since you are trying to market the Poly....Try a later seating, timed for Wishes, which can be viewed from Ohana.....

Both are great experiences. DW prefers quiet atmosphere (and food) of the Kona Cafe. Family and I enjoyed Ohana. Either setting will give you the chance to sell Poly, but I believe that Wishes is the tie breaker....Go for it!

SBETigg
09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
We've always had great meals and fun times at 'Ohana and the view is breathtaking. Kona feels like dining in a lobby bar and we just had a really terrible meal there. Up until a few weeks ago, I would have recommended it despite lack of atmosphere. But not now. It's off my list. Yes, I had the mahi mahi and I was hoping for greatness. All of our food was mushy, overcooked, and bland. Very very bland. I actually reached for the salt shaker and I almost never use extra salt.

Jared
09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Kona Cafe and 'Ohana are two of the best restaurants in Walt Disney World, and my family tries to eat at both each trip.

'Ohana is definitely geared toward groups with young children. The atmosphere is rowdy and festive. If you're looking for a quiet, traditional dinner, 'Ohana might not be the best option. The food, however, is delicious, especially the wings and other appetizers.

Kona Cafe is truly one of Disney's unheralded gems. The restaurant is rarely quiet, and the experience is always wonderful. I like to start with the wings or crab cakes. Both are exceptional. The entrees are good but the appetizers and desserts are the best parts of the meal.

My answer to your question may change tomorrow, but I'm leaning toward Kona Cafe now.

Bekka
09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I too would go with Kona. We had a great time there. Nice service, interesting dishes, to die for desserts.

Gotta go with the shrimp and scallops!

Vinny
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I have not been to Kona so I can't give a review on that restaurant but. We tried Ohana on our trip this past June and were not disappointed. The meal is very good from appetizers to desert. The chicken wings are really good as well as the variety of meats served. The bread pudding is the perfect way to top off the dinner. We already have Ohana booked for our Feb 2008 trip and can't wait. Have fun choosing!!

SunshinePiglet
09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I'd definitely recommend Ohana. Even for two people, the experience is excellent. All of the food is great, and it's a whole lot of fun. You can eat as much or as little as you want. I was slightly disappointed that we hadn't gone there on our last trip. As for Kona, our time there was very dull. The food wasn't great at all, and it just wasn't as good as what I've heard about it. In my opinion, there was nothing interesting about it, nothing worth mentioning.

disneymajik
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Go with Kona. O'hana has good food but it more for families with kids as it's buffet style. You'll love Kona!!

ckaranassos
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
We just returned from the Poly on 9-4 and the 4th night of our trip we had no dinner reservation and were a little tired of Captain Cooks (not complaining just looking for a little more). So my BIL stops at Kona around 4:30and asks if we could get a reservation for that night for 10 people (5 that are children) Of course I'm laughing at him, being the one that books and plans the trips and meals I figure no way will they have a ressie especially not before 7 pm. They tell him yes in an hour and a half. Well our buzzer goes off in 45 minutes, we actually had to run from our rooms, we get there they seat us together (we said split us up if it's easier to fit us) and we had one of the best darn meals ever. Wine, food and service was yummy. Kona will definetly be added to our must do list! :thumbsup:

Natazu
09-11-2007, 10:52 PM
If you don't think you'll want a whole lot of food, don't go with 'Ohana. The food is great but you'll stuff yourself. You see, they keep bringing you food 'til you make them stop and they won't take anything other than a resounding "enough" for an answer.

Kona has been the source of many, many wonderful dining experiences for Rachel and I. The bread alone is worth the price of the meal. They have more of my favorite food items than all the other Disney restaurants and they serve them flawlessly. The only thing I don't like about this place is deciding what to order.