PDA

View Full Version : Waist Pack vs. Backpack

Lexi'smom
09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
My first Disney vacation in 23 years will be here in 80 day's. I need some help deciding if I should use a fanny or a backpack. I would like to carry both my video camera ( keep in mind I haven't yet make it to the digital age, so my video camera is larger than the palm size ones you can buy now ) and my regular camera. As well as a few small other things. Are there places to put backpacks that is relatively secure while you ride? If you have a fanny pack do you have to take it off? I would appreciate any other suggestions.:confused:

ibrowse17
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
We have always used a back pack because it just seem easier. They do have secure places on most rides for a pack. I would also think you would have to take a fanny pack off to sit in most of the rides, but that is just my guess.:thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
:hi:HI, Lexi'smom, and welcome to Intercot!! I have used both bags and prefer a waist pack. I realize you have a larger video camera, but I just can't stand the bag on my back. Too hot. I put everything into a waist pack or an over-the shoulder bag that I bought at WDW. I wear it across my chest from left shoulder to right hip or vice-versa. On a ride, I have never had to take it off except for on Space Mountain. Then I just put my foot through the strap and held it that way. There aren't lockers at each ride to store things, so if you really need to....a locker at the main enterence is your best bet. Good luck!!:mickey:

martinfamily5
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
We always take a (Mickey Mouse) backpack. We take cam-corder and 35 mm camera, bag of pretzels, water bottles and granola bars. DH usually carries it and does just fine. We put our foot through the strap on rides and have never had a problem.

peemagg
09-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I have carried both a backpack and fanny pack. I prefer the fanny pack. I even purchased a camera bag that has the ability to be a fanny pack. It has both a waist strap and shoulder strap.

I carry both a 35mm camera and a camcorder and the film and tapes and batteries needed in my pack. I can also carry my wallet and cell phone in it. It is a nice over-all camera bag. Maybe you should try and find a bag like this.

mousetrapper
09-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!!

I always use a fanny pack, and my husband always uses a backpack.

He likes the backpack because he can fit his rather large 35 mm camera (non-digital) in it, but it seems like he always ends up being the "pack mule" -- "Daddy, can you put this water bottle in your backpack?" and "Honey, can I put this souvenir I just bought into your backpack?" etc. -- so I think he may rethink it our next trip!

I use my fanny pack for "essentials" -- my key/card, fast passes, tissues, money, check card, a sunblock stick and maybe lip balm and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I let my DH take care of taking pictures! :blush: I never had any trouble getting on the rides with the fanny pack on; I just turn it around to the front or side or whatever fits best, or, as another poster said, just snap it off and hold it down on the floor with my foot while I'm on the ride.

I think the backpack would be better suited for you since you are bringing the larger equipment. I have seen people leave their backpacks on the side platform of the ride (I think on BTMR, for example) and pick it up when they exit, but that doesn't seem to be a good idea if you have anything of value in it!

Whatever you bring, just be sure to put your equipment in water-tight ziplock bags before packing them into your fanny pack or backpack!

Have a wonderful time!!!

Tygger7
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I agree with mousetrapper...sounds like a backpack may work best for you. We always use fanny packs and have never had to remove them for any ride. I can't stand carrying anything around, so my DH gets to lug all the cameras. I also like the fanny packs for security. Which reminds me...be prepared to open whatever pack you bring each time you enter one of the parks. Disney checks EVERY bag that you carry into the parks, which is another reason we use the fanny packs. They're small, easy to open, and easy for security to inspect.

Good luck, and welcome to Intercot!! :party:

mudpuppysmom
09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I like taking a fanny pack, but since DH bought me a new digital SLR camera I can't take the fanny pack anymore, which is a bummer! Now, I take this backpack with me (it's a monstrosity that DH bought to go with the new camera).

I will say the ONLY ride I have any problem on with the backpack was Kali RR (they do have a covered compartment in the center and my backpack did not totally fit in there with everyone elses fanny packs. Although, my backpack is waterproof, so it didn't matter, just put it in there as a safety precaution!).

KAJUNKING
09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
like one of the previous posters stated, i think the over the shoulder type bags worn across your chest is a good alternative to a fanny or back pack

vamaggie
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I would like to carry both my video camera ( keep in mind I haven't yet make it to the digital age, so my video camera is larger than the palm size ones you can buy now ) and my regular camera.

Why not take this opportunity to get a new smaller one?:D Ok, now back to reality! I would lay out all the stuff you want to carry with you and see what type of bag it fits best into. Also see how heavy the bags are and how they feel on you with all the stuff. I actually prefer the back pack to a stuffed fanny pack. Another thought is that if you have kids and are planning on having a stroller, maybe taking a bigger bag that can live in the stroller would be easier and a smaller bag (or one of those carriers that go around your neck)for cards, IDs etc.

bkfree
09-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Year before last I used a fanny pack and thought it was great.:thumbsup:UNTIL I started looking at the pictures when we got back. I Hated :sick:the photos of me with the fanny pack on, not very flattering.
So last year I used a small messenger bag instead and loved it.It easily held my digital camera, digital mini DVD video camera,small wallet and other incidentals and looked much better in my kodak moments.It was also more comfy than a small backpack and I did not ahve to remove and hold or stash it on rides. I ordered it through bagsdotcom online. It comes in a variety of colors and sizes. Its my go to bag for all outdoor excursions now.

kakn7294
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I like the convenience of the fanny pack - everything is right in front of you, hands-free, and secure but they are unattractive on most people. Backpacks hold much more but for that reason can get quite heavy. It's also less convenient to access your stuff and I don't feel that my belongings are as secure behind me. I bought a cross-body organizer bag but found it just didn't hold my stuff right, didn't sit on my body right, and was heavy even when empty. I suggest that you purchase a couple of options and wear them all around the house for a day with all the stuff that you will be schlepping everyday and see what works best for you. This past trip, I used a small drawstring backpack (nobody could get to my stuff without me knowing) and just held it on any attraction where I couldn't wear it. I did miss the fanny pack though and might go back to that for the next time.

January-2007
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I wear both! I have two bags that I bought at WDW within the past year that I wear to the parks. The first is a draw string backpack, and that is great for carrying my book with all the park info and anything else larger in size or something that's not needed at a moment's notice. I also wear a fanny back to keep my glasses case in and my camera attached to so I can take pictures really easily without having to stop as much. DH wears a regular comfortable backpack so he can carry a water bottle and extra clothes for when it gets chilly, etc. This works for us.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
For us the backpack is just more practical.
3 cameras, extra batteries, memory card and film, 4 or 5 water bottles, ponchos, sunscreen, snacks, medication and the inevitable souvenirs just wouldn't quite fit into a fanny pack. :rolleyes:

DisneyCouture
09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
:ditto:

scootch713
09-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I take both... a backpack with an extra change of clothes for the kids and my cameras.. few snacks too... and the waist pack, I keep our tickets in it, fastpasses, room key and my credit card. I often leave the backpack just in the stroller when we go on rides(will have cameras around my neck).... this way I keep the important things(money/tickets) on me at all times.

Jen C.
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I like to carry the Vera Bradley backsack. Not the backpack, but backsack. It is much less bulky. I also would consider a messenger bag. However, I wouldn't be caught dead in a waist bag, or fanny pack. :scared: I'm not knocking those of you who like them, it's just that they look SO NOT CUTE on me, and I do care if I look cute. I know I shouldn't but I do.:blush:

nicole48040
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I use the Baggallini sling pack. It is a little smaller than a backpack and the single strap goes across your chest. On the strap there is a small pocket for cell phone and cash (perfect). There is a net on side for water bottle and has quite a few compartments for organizing your items. It is made of rip-stop nylon which is AWESOME for durability and cleaning. And the best part IMHO is the fact that you have options to turn it around (when you want the heat off you back) and can also be carried like a purse. I t fits on most rides with me and also has two compartments that can be locked (just like your luggage) if desired. It sells for $30-$40 bucks and is worth every penny. If you want websites that carry it, send me a message. It also is water resistant and comes in alot of colors. It was reccomended to me on intercot:blush:

pixiesmimi
09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I've always taken a tote bag and fanny pack but had a stoller to put the bag in. This year since it was just the two of us, I bought a smaller waist pack that would hold my digital camera, cell phone and tickets, money, etc. And I took a small drawstring backpack since I am the pack mule. DH never carries anything. This worked for me but the drawstring back pack began to wear on my shoulders and make them sore so I switched back to a tote bag the last day and it was much more comfortable. DH kept saying I needed to get one of the Disney backpacks that had padded straps. I will next time. I hate how I look in pictures with the fanny pack on so started taking it off along with the backpack for photos. It never hindered me on rides though. I just switched it around to the front or side, whichever was needed and put my arm through the straps of the tote bag for SM. I would like to pare it down to one but really like the convenience of having my camera, cell phone and cards right at my finger tips without having to get into a bag for them. Maybe I will find something smaller for next time and might try the messenger bag.

EmmMOM2
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
It's all a matter of what's convenient for you. We've always brought a smaller back pack for cameras and any misc things we need. We would always leave our backpack in the stroller which we park outside the ride and just take the camera with us on the ride (we aren't roller coaster people) and nothing ever got taken, but i would never leave anything of alot of value sitting around outside, cause you never know. :mickey:

DONROCK
09-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I've used both....depends on the time of year I am going. When we go in the fall, it's usually cool in early morning and again in evening, I like to wear a sweat jacket. So, when it warms up in the afternoon, I can shove the jacket in the backback. For warmer seasons....the fanny pack is just fine. It didnt make any difference between the two where getting on rides was concerned....I just squish them between my feet and enjoy the ride!!

septembergirl
09-14-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm not knocking those of you who like them, it's just that they look SO NOT CUTE on me, and I do care if I look cute. I know I shouldn't but I do.:blush:

:haha: I know what you mean although I did use one on our last trip and even pack one each for my DS 11, 9, and 6. This trip they have all flat refused :humph: to use a fanny pack. We will be using a stroller most of the time anyway so I am planning to carry one backpack and keep all of our stuff in it. My DH says he will stick with cargo shorts:thumbsup:.

#1donaldfan
09-16-2007, 09:14 AM
My DW uses a fanny pack.....and I usually carry a Disney back pack.....I carry some H20 and crackers...etc....not much, never too heavy....on most rides there are net bags to place loose articles in....I've always been able to stuff our things in them....sometimes I'll just place the shoulder strap around my leg/foot and ride on......

Kairi_7378
09-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Another vote for the backpack. It was great to be able to carry our water bottles, sweatshirts, etc in the backpack. I didn't have a problem with going on any of the rides, even Splash. DH was very good about reminding me to not put too much in the pack.
This discussion just reminded me that I am supposed to get a new one for my next trip!

Bringonthemouse!
09-16-2007, 05:46 PM
My park bag of choice has become a sling bag, the one strap backpack the you wear across your back on an angle. They are very comfortable, they come a large variety of sizes and you never have to remove them. When riding, I simply swing them around to my front. I've tried backpacks and I find them way to bulky.
Another option for a fanny pack is to make the strap longer so it can be worn as a sling pack. This is an option my DD15 chooses because she wants a small bag to carry her own things in but she certainly doesn't want to look like a "dork" (her words, not mine) wearing a fanny pack. :shake:

magicofdisney
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I got these on ebay and love them!:mickey: They can face front or back.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/magicofdisney/100_2006.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/magicofdisney/100_2007.jpg

Bringonthemouse!
09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I got these on ebay and love them!:mickey: They can face front or back.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/magicofdisney/100_2006.jpg

That's the exact bag I was referring to... I, also, got mine from ebay!!:thumbsup: I must say, magicofdisney, you have exceptional taste! :D

pixiesmimi
09-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Ooh! I love that bag. That is perfect. Wish I had one of those when I went in August. Can you PM me and tell me the name of the eBay store or ID where you got it and how much it was? Or is there anywhere else you have seen them?