PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Play Snare Drums.......

merlinmagic4
09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
.........or even know what they are? Are they easy to play?

Also, is there any wind instrument that requires LESS wind, if that makes any sense. My son has to choose an instrument and drums are his first choice. However, he has to have a second choice in case there are too many drums. He has terrible lungs so just wondering if any would be easier than others.

Thanks! I love the diverse knowledge here!

2Epcot
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
A snare drum is the very common small drum you see in a marching band. It is a single drum with heads on the top and bottom of the drum. It is worn on a sling or a harness and is played with two sticks. The "snares" are medal wires on the bottom of the drum that give it that distinct sound from reverberation. In a concert or orchestra setting, the snare drum will sit on a medal stand. It is also one of the main drums that make up any drum set.

I started playing the snare drum in middle school, then went on to high school where I played all the percussion instruments. Percussion instruments are anything that is striked ... snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, bells, chimes, timpani (big large kettle drums), and even the triangle (among others).

I enjoyed playing drums and percussion, but it is very popular, especially among boys. Through my middle school and high school we had very few female percussionist. If a person can count, and has a sense of rhythm, they are not hard to play, but with any instrument, it takes practice. I played in marching band, concert band, orchestra, and several musical we did at our school. It was a great experience.

I do not have great knowledge of wind instruments. My thought would be the woodwind instruments use less wind then the brass ones. Instruments like clarinet, saxophone, flute, as opposed to trumpet, trombone, french horn, and tuba.

murphy1
09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I played flute from age 8 until my early 20's in college and I did play drums a little in HS. You might look into guitar too. I had very good lung power on woodwinds, I could also play piccolo, clarinet, b/c the fingering was basically the same and I agree with Chris on brass, it seems hard, I could not blow into a trumpet to save my life!! I think sax and trumpet are great b/c if he ends up really good at it and keeps an interest, they are very popular instruments among adults. In fact, Rick Braun is someone you might want him to listen to, he is a jazz trumpeter and I have been lucky enough to see him in concert. Clarinet and trumpet require reeds and you have to keep buying them, which is a small drawback. Once he settles with an instrument though, he just needs to practice and keep at it. It's a fun thing and develops good habits that stay with you.

disneydrmr
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Do they offer the xylophone? My sister played those in band and loved them. I played the bass drum for one season and that's pretty fun also. And I agree with previous poster - the woodwinds would require a bit less air - think flute, piccolo...

tyandskyesmom
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "terrible lungs" but to properly play any instrument that requires the blowing of air through it, you will need to be able to assert a lot of "air" but after a while, it becomes just like breathing without an instrument in your face.

I played flute from age 10, flute and piccolo throughout highschool, and baritone in marching band and in the concert band (in addition to being the first chair flute player in the symphony (higher) band) throughout high school. Yes, a proud band geek. Almost had a carreer in music afterwards too (and that's a whole other story!) .

I think your son should choose something he thinks he will enjoy learning and playing and he will be taught to breathe and to push enough "wind" across/into the instrument. Brass instruments are no more difficult to learn that a wind instrument, just different....and to tell you the truth, not really all that different once you develop the basic knowledge of music.

drummerboy
09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I play the whole set in a couple of different concert-type bands. As someone said, the snare is the key instrument of a drum set, alonside the bass drum. Playing a snare by itself isn't too bad as long as he has a sense of rhythym and timing.

Sometimes the hard part for many people is being able to play the 'backbeat'. If you're couinting one-and-two-and, that's hitting on the 'ands'.

merlinmagic4
09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Yes, I also believe he should play something he is interested in. He wants to play drums or guitar and it dawned on me this morning that it's probably because of his lungs. He has an actual lung condition and sees a pulmonologist; they actually don't quite know what his exact issue is but he has been hospitalized over a dozen times for it. He is often short of breath which is why I wasn't sure if it would be difficult to play a wind instrument. I can now see where the flute/clarinet are different from the trumpet/saxophone. That makes sense now.

I don't believe they offer xylophone or guitar at this stage (fifth grade).

I really appreciate all of your knowledge!!!

TikiGoddess
09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Perhaps you could talk to your son's music teacher and let him/her know of your situation. Brass and woodwind instruments do take a lot of wind power. Or if he can't do drums, perhaps he could take outside guitar lessons.

TikiG

Minniemouse27
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
"Snare" is probably more than likely percussion which eventually would include xylophone.

My sister has pretty severe asthma... and is an excellent brass player.

They didn't diagnose her until she was in her 30's but she's always had it. She started playing trumpet in 4th grade.

In 6th grade she started marching in drum corps and played a soprano bugle, in 8th grade she started playing a mellophone, continuing the trumpet in school. When she started 9th grade she added marching band as well. Sis continued to march in drum corps (winning multiple championships) until she was 21yo!

The drs actually told her that her asthma was probably misdiagnosed all these years because by playing a brass instrument she developed her breathing to such a point that they couldn't tell she had asthma!

Just something to think about!

merlinmagic4
09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I just talked to him and he's deciding between drums and trumpet. I'm definitely going to let him try a wind instrument if that's what he wants to try. Maybe it will be good for him; wouldn't that be a bonus!

BronxTigger
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
:drum: <<<he does!!

Sorry; I can't really answer your questions. I was in band in middle and high school but I don't know what instrument uses "less wind".

murphy1
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
The thing with brass over woodwinds is that it requires your mouth to move differently. I couldn't quite get the trumpet to sound well, but I could play the flute really well. I'll say it again, get a Rick Braun CD, he can listen to the best trumpeter out there, I also agree with getting outside guitar lessons, my dd wants to play guitar, so that's what I'm doing. I hate how they have cut music out of third and fourth grade, it's such a great age to start learning and especially start reading music.

Scott C
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
DS15 plays drums, DS17 plays clarinet and Bassoon and about anything else that he can get a hold of. If I could offer you one piece of advise -- it does not seem that they teach the drumline much about music -- just timing. I would encourage you to try another instrument and use the drums as a backup.

Thanks
Scott

merlinmagic4
09-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks again, everyone. I put snare drums as his first choice and trumpet as second. I will definitely look into private guitar lessons; it's something I have always thought about. He doesn't play a spring sport so that would be a great time to start.

All of your advice has been very helpful!

Tiggerdog
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
First, I need to clear up a common misconception about the flute not requiring a lot of air. ;)

Beginning flute players use more air than any other instrument - even the tuba. The player blows directly into all of the other wind instruments, causing air resistance that produces the sound. The flute, on the other hand, does not provide any air resistance of its own. As a result, the players lips are used to create the resistance, resulting in the need for a large amount of air.

As a band teacher for 18 years, I suggest students with severe breathing problems play the percussion instruments. If that is not an option, then I have the student try the clarinet or trumpet. Many times they are very successful.

I had severe asthma as a child and I did play flute and later piccolo. Between swimming competitively and playing the flute, my lung capacity did increase as did my strength. So, playing a wind instrument should help him out.

I send your son good luck in finding the instrument he loves!