PDA

View Full Version : Raglan Road in Review

SBETigg
09-11-2007, 08:27 AM
August 22, Wednesday, 7 pm:

The atmosphere is Irish Pub Overblown- everything on a grander, less smoky scale than the Irish pubs back home (which no longer allow smoking, but still retain the haze and a smell in the wood somehow). The place seems larger than I expected, but quite lovely, all hard wood, stained glass, and gleaming brass.

We express our concerns that we’re early but we’d like to stay for the music and we’re seated right near the stage. We expect a strapping Irish lad or bonny lass to serve us, but we get Tony from Brooklyn. No Seamus or Colleen? Couldn’t Tony learn to put on a brogue? The family behind us is from New Jersey and they’re thrilled with Brooklyn Tony. To his credit, he’s an attentive server and I certainly have nothing against Tony except he doesn't fit the expectation of Irish pub server (shame on my stereotyping! where do I think I am, World Showcase?).

While we deliberate on the menu, the DH gets a Bass and I order the sampler flight of Irish ales, which includes Harp, Bass, Guinness, and a Black and Tan. All good.

For starters, the DH goes with Seared Scallops, pan seared and served on creamed sweet corn and garnished with a candied lemon salad. An excellent choice. The scallops are done perfectly, really tasty, and well matched with the sweet corn and lemon accompaniments. The DD chooses Italian Irish, Capiche?, actually a macaroni with Dubliner cheese and a broccoli and radish salad. This is a big winner, really delicious, and it easily wins over our pickiest eater and mac n cheese aficionado.

The DS and I, seafood fans, agree to split Calamari City, one of the appetizers for two. It’s calamari and mixed tempura vegetables served with a spicy remoulade. Good, but it turns out to be mostly tempura veggies with a little calamari tossed in, and tiny calamari bits at that, though tender and delicious calamari for what little there is of it. Otherwise, the portions are good sized and everything is tasty and fun. If you’re not sure about dinner, this would be a great place to come a little later for appetizers and drinks with entertainment.

But dinner is pretty impressive. The DH and DD both choose Paddy's Pork, pork loin stuffed with our homemade sausage meat drizzled with honey soy glaze, served with buttered leeks, cabbage and mashed potatoes. The pork is done perfectly, and the leeks, cabbage, and potatoes are delicious. The DD doesn’t like the sausage stuffing, but I try hers and it’s fantastic, just not her taste. DH Sean (from a very Irish family) loves it all.

The DS orders Chef Kevin’s signature dish, Kevin's Heavenly Ham. Oven-roasted loin of ham with an Irish Mist glaze, served with braised cabbage and creamed potato. I recall that this used to be listed as a loin of bacon and I wonder if they changed it to ham to please the American palate. There are two schools of thought when ordering bacon as a main dish. On one hand, there’s the “wow, a whole meal of bacon? Bring it on!” crowd. On the other hand, there’s the “ooh, that’s a lot of fatty meat” reaction. And in either case, people expect it to come in strips like breakfast food. Problematic. The new description is probably a better fit. The Irish Mist glaze adds a lot of flavor and really makes the flavors pop. Cabbage and creamed potatoes may scare some people off, but it’s delicate and cooked just right and may make you think better of Irish food. Delicious!

I go for the Salmon of Knowledge (because I can use all the help I can get, yuk yuk), fresh salmon fillet topped with smoked salmon, baked and served with a maple glaze. All I can say is: wow. It was a huge portion of salmon, moist and flaky, absolutely wonderful. We were all very happy with our entrees.

And we’re all quite full, but who can pass up dessert (especially when it comes on the DP, included in the meal paid off in advance)? The answer is my DS. He’s not a dessert fan. We are probably the only parents in Disney history to insist “you’re getting dessert, young man, whether you like it or not.” Because, let’s face it, I’m a Libra. Making decisions isn’t my strong suit. If the DS gets dessert, I have two choices, his and mine.

I don’t remember what the DH ordered. The DD gets Dunbrody’s Kiss, which was good but I hardly remember what it was. I order Baileys Coffee Cream Pot, tiramisu with an Irish twist, and I’m in heaven. It’s fantastic. I don’t think anyone can top it until I grab the Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding that I ordered for the DS, who flat out refused to be forced into dessert.

Oh my goodness, the Bread & Butter pudding! It came with a warm sweet sauce and a sauce that was like melted vanilla ice cream, with both sauces on the side. It was like a more delicate, more custardy not very bready bread pudding. If you’re a bread pudding fan, this will put you over the moon. If you’re not a bread pudding fan, it may change your mind.
It made me forget all else and live in my own pudding-induced coma for a good few minutes, which is why I don't recall the other desserts as I should.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: You might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

I give it a solid Recommended: A good one to try. I’ve heard of people having up and down experiences at Raglan Road, but ours was solid-- good service, excellent food with inventive twists on standard favorites, and live music with an Irish dancer (straight from Lord of the Dance) who makes the occasional appearance on her own dining room table stage. This was definitely one of our better Disney dinner experiences, almost rating right up there with our signature dining meals for the week.

Slainte!

January-2007
09-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I'm glad you liked it.

Jared
09-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I've been checking this forum constantly for more reviews! I'm glad I found this one before heading to class this morning.

As a seafood lover, your meal sounded wonderful. Scallops, calamari and salmon in a dinner is exactly what I would order.

Keep the reviews coming. You're a solid writer and definitely understand dining.

:tasty:

iheartmickey
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm not a seafood eater. You made it all sound very delicious though. Makes me want to at least try seafood.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

KarenP
09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I will be trying Raglan Road for the first time in October. Thanks for the great review!

illini
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the great review. I'll have to add this to our must-try list for a future trip.

Crow
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
sounds good. i was in there for :beer: and i ate next door at Cookes which was great for my CS on DDP. i was thinking about RR to use a credit but i have other ADRs made now..but i will probably stop for :beer:

ElenitaB
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
We expect a strapping Irish lad or bonny lass to serve us, but we get Tony from Brooklyn. No Seamus or Colleen? Couldn’t Tony learn to put on a brogue? The family behind us is from New Jersey and they’re thrilled with Brooklyn Tony. To his credit, he’s an attentive server and I certainly have nothing against Tony except he doesn't fit the expectation of Irish pub server (shame on my stereotyping! where do I think I am, World Showcase?).
Hey wait! :humph: Like there are no Irish-American young men by the name of Anthony born in Brooklyn!?! ;) (Though I do know a lot more Italian-American Anthony's...)

Thanks for the review! Thanks to your review, Raglan Road is now on my list of "must try" restaurants!

bleukarma
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm glad you liked Raglan Road, this is one of my favorite restaurants! Thanks for your review!!!

murphy1
09-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Wow, that sounds great!!! Glad you enjoyed it!!

disneydrmr
09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
You've created a rumbly in my tummy! Sounds like a wonderful experience and you've convinced me that this will be a place I'll have to try next time I make it to the world!