PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Your Home Resort

DVC Mike
09-11-2007, 08:26 AM
One of the first decisions a prospective DVC member has to make, after deciding to buy into DVC, is which resort they should purchase and make their home resort. DVC members who wish to add-on face the similar issue of choosing which resort to add-on points at.

Prospective DVC members may not be aware that they are not limited to just the resorts that DVC is actively marketing, but that it is possible to buy into any of the DVC resorts, even the older “sold-out” resorts. You can buy these resorts on the resales market, as well as direct from Disney (once you convince your sales guide that you simply are not interested in the resorts DVC is actively marketing).

Now, what factors should one consider in choosing their home resort?

The most popular philosophy, and the one I personally adhere to, is “Buy Where You Want to Stay”. If you really love a particular resort, then buy into it. There are some people who have a particular fondness for a resort and really want to stay at that particular resort, and they would be unhappy if they were not able to book there. These folks should buy where they want to stay, provided that they can reliably plan and book to take advantage of the 11-month home resort booking advantage.

If a specific resort (theme/style, location, villa type and/or view) is important to you and you want the 11-month home resort booking advantage, then buy into that resort. The need for the home resort booking advantage varies by resort, villa type, view and time of year that you most often vacation.

I fall into this camp, as I am a planner and always book my WDW vacations at the 11-month window so that I can stay at the resorts that I love – BCV, BWV, VWL, and AKV.

If you don’t have a particular fondness for a certain resort, or if you’re not a planner and anticipate always booking at the 7-month window (or less), then one of the next two philosophies may be best for you.

One alternative philosophy states “Buy Where You Wouldn't Mind Staying”. This view states that people should avoid buying at a resort that they really wouldn't be happy staying at. Since the resort you buy into will be your default location should your other options fall through at the 7-month window, you should pick a resort that you would wouldn’t mind staying at; i.e., it would not make you unhappy.

Finally, others promote the idea of “Buy the best deal”; that is, whatever resort has the lowest overall cost. If any resort is fine, then buy where you get the best overall deal for total cost of ownership. Recognize that the variables for that depend on purchase cost (price, closing costs and finance charges), annual dues, expected length of ownership and likely resale value upon disposition. Keep in mind that any savings in upfront purchase cost will probably be offset by the difference in maintenance fees.

One other factor to consider is the contract length. Some resorts (VWL, BWV, BCV, HHI, and VB) have significantly shorter contracts than SSR and AKV (and now perhaps OKW). If you are older, this may not be a factor. However, if you are young, then the additional years may play a role in your decision-making. For me, I would rather have 35 years at a place that I love than 50 years at a place I would not be happy with.

How about you? What factors did you consider? Are there other recommendations or advice that you would give to prospective DVC members?

MinnieMommie
09-13-2007, 10:59 PM
We love being near DD so SSR was a natural for us, Also, we got a very good deal and the extra years were an incentive. Thinking of our children. :mickey:

TKDONALD
09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
My question is this. The only resort that my family can all decide on is the Boardwalk. How can we get this as our home site. Right now they are offering Animal Kingdom which nobody in my fam is interested in. But SSR is not out the question. So do I just come out and tell vacation club sales person that im only interested in the Boardwalk and no other resort?

DVC Mike
09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
My question is this. The only resort that my family can all decide on is the Boardwalk. How can we get this as our home site. So do I just come out and tell vacation club sales person that im only interested in the Boardwalk and no other resort?

Yes, you can tell your guide that all you are interested in is BWV. You can also check out the resale market as well.

Maleficent's Dad
09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
So do I just come out and tell vacation club sales person that im only interested in the Boardwalk and no other resort?
To add to DVC Mike's post, you need to be pretty firm with your sale's rep about your desire for the BWV. They often say that the only available sales are SSR and AKLV. While these are the primary sites for sale, they are not the "only ones for sale." Make your intentions known and don't waver.

BethieTink
09-14-2007, 06:32 PM
My question is this. The only resort that my family can all decide on is the Boardwalk. How can we get this as our home site. Right now they are offering Animal Kingdom which nobody in my fam is interested in. But SSR is not out the question. So do I just come out and tell vacation club sales person that im only interested in the Boardwalk and no other resort?

We did this last March. The only way we were going to buy into DVC was to buy at Beach Club Villas. We love the resort for the theming, Stormalong Bay :cloud9:, Beaches and Cream and of course the proximity to EPCOT.

At the time we bought, DVC was only selling SSR, which did not appeal to us at all. At the time we bought, I was 36 and DH was 41 and we don't have and don't have any plans to have kids, so the contract expiring in 2042 didn't matter to us. I will be 82 and DH will be 87 at that time.

We ended up on the waiting list for a few weeks, but we got what we wanted. Just be clear from the start that you want Boardwalk and that is it. The bottom line for DVC is to sell you what will make you happy.

Good luck with your decision.

3 weeks from right now I will be "home"!! :cloud9:

lockedoutlogic
09-15-2007, 12:24 AM
I guess I'm getting redundant...because I've going to keep restating this each time this happens...

You can buy a DVC resale at any of the locations which have previously sold out...through the official channels at DVC or through many companies that deal in timeshare resales....

But you cannot "Choose" your home resort as it is so simply stated time and again.

Each DVC location has a specific contract term for the property...OKW and BWV...being the oldest....have a date of 2042....that means that the fun is over in 2042...this is not negotiable....

Saratoga has an end date of 2054....AKL has an end date of 2057....so if you choose to buy at a location such as BWV....you are going to forgoe roughly 25% of the term of the contract...

It is exactly like buying a used car rather than a new car...it's your right to do it...but it is not the same.

Now...I'm not pulling any of the other details into this discussion that are always thrown out....the highlights include:
1. The theming is worth the sacrifice
2. I want the 11 month window
3. I'll be too old for the extra years anyway
4. My kids can get their own...so why do i want extra years?
5. I'm sure there will be a resale
6. My personal favorite - you are paying more for used points now that they originally sold for...

I am simply stating that implying that you can have your pick and that you have to "be firm with the salesman because they will push animal kingdom or saratoga on you" is simply a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

The DVC salesman will "push" saratoga and animal kingdom on you because they are new contracts....all the other existing locations are resales and have significant portions of the contracts already used.

It that doesn't matter to you...then that is fine. But it should be considered by everyone who wants to purchase an older location...and if you read the posts above...that if you didn't realize it, you could just assume that the SSR and AKV sales are nothing more than a salesman's trick and a resale would yield the same usage and monetary value...they do not.

Can we stop acting as though they are equal?

DVC Mike
09-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Each DVC location has a specific contract term for the property...OKW and BWV...being the oldest....have a date of 2042....that means that the fun is over in 2042...this is not negotiable....

Saratoga has an end date of 2054....AKL has an end date of 2057....so if you choose to buy at a location such as BWV....you are going to forgoe roughly 25% of the term of the contract...

My original post pointed this out:

One other factor to consider is the contract length. Some resorts (VWL, BWV, BCV, HHI, and VB) have significantly shorter contracts than SSR and AKV (and now perhaps OKW). If you are older, this may not be a factor. However, if you are young, then the additional years may play a role in your decision-making. For me, I would rather have 35 years at a place that I love than 50 years at a place I would not be happy with.

Some people aren't happy with SSR or AKV, and they may really want to stay at an Epcot area resort (BCV with Stormalong Bay or BWV with the boardwalk), or near the MK (VWL with the gorgeous theming).

I've read post after post on other sites of people buying SSR, only to find out later that they could have had BWV. Some of them turn around and buy BWV and sell their SSR contract.

I don't think the original post or any of the responses I've seen thus far is a "gross misrepresentation of the facts".

Maleficent's Dad
09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Usually the questions and posts here elicit some great, level-headed responses, but I've got to reply here.

But you cannot "Choose" your home resort as it is so simply stated time and again.
Okay, I'm confused. :scratch:
If I want my "home" at the BCV, can't I just buy my points there? Then it's my "home resort." What do you mean in that you cannot " "choose" your home resort?"

Actually, for a price, OKW now has an expiration date of 2057, so it indeed is negotiable - for a price, Disney is willing to extend the life of the contract. You want to pay a bit more, you get the extra years. Methinks that this offer will be extended to other DVC resorts, but of course that's speculation on my part.

I am simply stating that implying that you can have your pick and that you have to "be firm with the salesman because they will push animal kingdom or saratoga on you" is simply a gross misrepresentation of the facts.
I would hardly call this a "gross misrepresentation of the facts." In fact, I would call this statement to be extremely accurate. The vast majority of people who have purchased into DVC in the past 3+ years had no idea that they could purchase at resorts other than SSR or AKLV. The sales force at DVC is indeed pushing these properties, and they very conveniently tell people that there are no points available at other resorts. This is simply not true. If you want to buy at another resort, you can do so through DVC. The sales people at DVC, however, have no desire to sell the older properties and resist doing so. I'm not sure of the reasons why, but I know firsthand that many people were 'mislead' into believing that SSR was the only property available. And this is simply not the case.

The DVC salesman will "push" saratoga and animal kingdom on you because they are new contracts....all the other existing locations are resales and have significant portions of the contracts already used.
There's more to it than this - they simply do not wish to sell points at the older resorts and do indeed, hide the fact that you can purchase points here. That is not speculation, that is a fact.

Well, you're right and you're wrong.
All DVC members are treated equally in many aspects. However, there are two reasons why I say that you're not accurate here:
1. The 11 month window. More and more, this is becoming a necessity when trying to book at the more popular resorts. It's not easy getting the BCV at any time, and that 11 month window at the BCV is a key factor. This also applies to VWL and BWV. Take a look at the EPCOT resorts for the F&W Festival, or any resort for the month of December. And supposedly, the fall through December is an "off time," at WDW.
2. Look at the resale market. Guess who's points are the most expensive? BCV. And the points at the BCV expire in 2042.

So no, the resorts may not all be equal. Seems as if the BCV are the superior resort - they're the hardest to book, and they have the highest resale value. And all this for 25% less of a contract.

lockedoutlogic
09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
So no, the resorts may not all be equal. Seems as if the BCV are the superior resort - they're the hardest to book, and they have the highest resale value. And all this for 25% less of a contract.

Not to quip...again....but this sentence above is my point....

And no...I'm not accusing DVC Mike of lying...or M's Dad...for that matter....it is merely glossing over the difference between "resales" and the new contract sales that DVC conducts...currently out of Saratoga and Animal Kingdom.

You can choose BCV via RESALE...you can forgoe 25% of the time...you can pay more than the original points sold for....that is all up to you.

But to quote M's Dad....the DVC sales people don't have other locations to sell other that Saratoga and AK....you can purchase a resale through DVC or a third party...but the two are not equal. Comments like the ones in some of the posts above make it seem like it's some kind of slick salesman trick to sell AK and SSR...it is not...that is a fact.

To say that the fringe benefits are better is one thing.....but to say that it's just a matter of picking which one like walking into the toy isle at Target is a misrepresentation of the truth.

The truth is that AK will get you 50 years of points...Bordwalk will get you 35 and Beach Club, I believe, 41....

IF that's not a big deal to the individual...fine....but can we stop with the interpretive truth? AKL gets you a set amount of usage from here on out...as does Beach Club....the point/dollar vallue is not equal...can we agree on this?

And I mentioned alot of the "other" issues in my original post. I would ask that the whole post is read before I am picked apart and lectured...It is a courtesy I would extend to everyone else.

lockedoutlogic
09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Also...I forgot...I would like to venture 1 well-informed thought.....

I would strongly advise anyone looking into buying DVC to purchase Animal Kingdom as their home resort.

The point cost per night at AKV is the lowest since OKW, HH, and Vero.....

and beyond that...AKL is possibly the best resort at WDW...even if you don't like animals. Boma and Jiko are both in the top 10 as far as restaurants go property wide....the pool area is amazing...and the decor and ambience is comfortable and exciting at the same time.....

And they are doing a major upgrade of the facility with the new DVC lodge....including adding a new themed pool area, new full service restaurant, and new shopping area....something that they had not done at the add on DVC resorts (Beach and Wilderness...Boardwalk was designed as an integrated DVC location)...

That makes AKV a very good location...and most of the complaints that are publicly issued about AKL are more smoke than fire.....

We can discuss them another time.

Horizon93
09-15-2007, 08:28 PM
WE are very happy to be AKV owners. We have already taken advantage of the points saving by booking a 1 br value for next July for 11 nights. The variety of accomodations at AKV does give great flexibility.

TKDONALD
09-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Thank you all for all of your comments. This will help me with my big decision.:yoda: