PDA

View Full Version : Bengals vs. Ravens Game

WDWfanatic742
09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
For anyone who watched the ending of the game:

When the ball was intercepted at the very end of the game, the lineman appeared to intercept the ball on the 1 yard line and then lands in the end zone. Last time I checked that was a safety right?

Not really a fan of either team, but that struck me of odd as to why they didn't attempt to review the call to make sure since it was a huge play.

PirateLover
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
That was a crazy game... here is some info I found:

A safety is the act by which one team gains two points when an opponent who possesses the ball:

* is tackled in his own end zone,
* runs out of bounds in or behind the end line of his own end zone,
* fumbles the ball out of bounds in the end zone or across the end line,
* downs (kneels or falls on) the ball in the end zone (an intentional safety),
* has a punt blocked, and the ball then goes out of bounds in the punting team's end zone,
* commits certain penalties, such as holding or intentional grounding, in the end zone.

If a player on the defense gains possession of the ball in their own end zone through a fumble recovery or interception and is tackled there, it is a touchback, not a safety. If he makes an interception outside of the end zone, his momentum carries him into the end zone and he is tackled there, his team gets the ball at the spot of the interception. However, if he gets the ball outside of the end zone and retreats on his own initiative into his own end zone, where he is tackled, it is a safety for the other team. The same rules apply on punts and kickoffs.

Melanie
09-10-2007, 11:13 PM
When the ball was intercepted at the very end of the game, the lineman appeared to intercept the ball on the 1 yard line and then lands in the end zone. Last time I checked that was a safety right?

I was watching. Seems I remember he was already in the end zone when he intercepted.

What a crazy game!

mttafire
09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
WHO DEY!!!! Go Bengals! WOW what a game!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
09-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the explanation PirateLover and explaining that it isn't always a safety.

battlefield2freak
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
yea it was a really messed up game. i didnt get to watch all of it. is this the game the one player that injured his spine?

PirateLover
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
yea it was a really messed up game. i didnt get to watch all of it. is this the game the one player that injured his spine?

No, that was Kevin Everett of the Buffalo Bills. Tragic.

battlefield2freak
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
oh i heard about it on the news but i wasnt paying attention to what was being said. that is sad i just read his bio on nfl.com and he was hoping to become a good reciever this year. thanks.