PDA

View Full Version : Rain & MNSSHP

Texas Tinkerbell Too
09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
I know there's someone named strmchaser on this site, but I don't know where else to post this quesion. I was looking at the 10 day forecast...it looks like thunderstorms have been forecasted for this Friday Sept 14th. We already have tickets for MNSSHP. Does anyone know what would make Disney decide not to do the party? Sorry, I am not trying to be a pessimist. I just want to prepare my family for any possibilities.

caryrae
09-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I was there last Sept and the night we were at MNSSHP there was a storm which didn't last long. All they did was postpone the parade for a short time and close the big outside rides like splash and BTMRR. I am not sure what they would do if there was a big long storm.

Strmchsr
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
A party being canceled is almost unheard of. Yes, you can get some ride closure and maybe a delay on the parade as mentioned, but it would take a prolonged period of heavy thunderstorms to cancel a party. You won't see those. Yes, there will be thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon, but they should usually develop by early afternoon and be gone by the time the party starts. These types of storms rarely last more than an hour, so we're not talking organized, prolonged rain. I think you'll be fine. The only real danger would be low clouds canceling the fireworks, and even that is pretty rare. Check out the weather forecast thread in the vacation planning forum and you'll get the details leading up to Friday. Have a great trip!!!

iheartmickey
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
The only real danger would be low clouds canceling the fireworks, and even that is pretty rare.

Yery true!

We were at the MVMCP a few years ago and we had rain/thunderstorms the whole day prior to our party. When the party started we had no rain, but very low clouds. When the fireworks went off you couldn't really make them out. Only the ones low to the ground ... everything was just a glow of color. A little disapointing ... but the party was still worth it, IMO.

Even if you have a day of storms go to the party. We went and the party was sold out, but it was very empty! The threat of rain keeps people away. :D

Texas Tinkerbell Too
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Thank you so much for your responses. I feel much better now.

Have a great day! God Bless America and a special thank you to our troops! 9/11!

Nekochan
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
I was there a few weeks ago for a pirate and princess party (aug 24th). It STORMED - and I mean HUGE thunderbooms for several hours, and then very heavy rain for quite a few hours. The storms started maybe around 3:30 or 4 pm and the rain didn't let up until around 9:00 pm or so. They cancelled ONE of the parades, but then the second parade and fireworks went on.

mermaidmarian
09-12-2007, 06:53 AM
I would not expect a cancellation of the event for rain or thunderstorms. We were at the Pirates and Princesses Party on August 24th - there were really strong thunderstorms with at times torrential rain and this spate of weather began at about 3:00 p.m. and did not let up until about 10:00 p.m.

The party went off as scheduled (although DS and I dubbed it the Pirates and Ponchos Party). There were some ride closures due to lightning and the parade and fireworks schedule was completely abandoned as they just waited for a window in the weather in which to go forward. They got in one parade and the fireworks, although the cloud cover was still extremely low and I didn't think you could see much of the fireworks show. (When I went to the party on a subsequent night, under blue sky, I discovered what I hadn't been able to see the stormy night - that is an amazing fireworks show for P&P!)

We had a fun evening despite the weather. Although, the event was significantly different than Disney planned it to be; consequently, we received free re-admission vouchers when we left (good for a year from that date) for a return trip to MK (not a free admission to another special ticket event though). So we were happy.

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 08:57 AM
We had Pirate and Princess Party in thunderstorms. It had been raining for hours before the start with passing thunderstorms and the rain never stopped except in brief fits and starts.

Here's what happened for us: The rides were operating, with occasional downtime. The park was near empty. A lot of people must have not shown up or tried to reschedule. We got a lot done in one night and we didn't arrive until 8. Splash Mt, Space Mt, Big Thunder, Philharmagic, Peter Pan, Small World, Pooh, Teacups, Buzz Lightyear, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Pirates- with some redos of a few of them. The treasure stations were all open, characters had small lines. The parade started late. The fireworks were delayed but went off without a hitch and Main Street was empty! We took our places five minutes before fireworks and stood with two other people (two!) at the end of Main Street to watch. Our kids had an empty table on the top floor of the train station. It was phenomenal. I've never seen fireworks with so few people on Main Street.

And, the DH and I left a few minutes before the end of fireworks (crazy, I know, but it made sense at the time). On the way out, a CM handed us a card that was an apology for all the delays and offered us admission to the MK with our P & P tickets and that card for any day of our choosing, good for a year. We're not returning and we had already bought hopper admission for the rest of our stay, so we didn't need it. Our kids left at the end of fireworks and didn't get the same offer.